PDA

View Full Version : [REL] Morale Mod (Your crew is actually obedient!)

R-T-B
03-04-10, 03:39 AM
I've made a mod that is a bit of a simple work around, but I felt I'd share it all the same.

Now crew members will obey commands regardless of morale. Until the broken morale system is fixed and the ability to boost morale becomes easier to attain, I think this is an absolute necessity. Download here:

EDIT: This is the latest version that provides more fixes, and is now official. Please upgrade.

EDIT EDIT: Test version recalled until I have time to figure out what's going on. Link below has been updated to the original version. Sorry for any inconvienience this may have caused...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1568

R-T-B
03-04-10, 04:04 AM
After some initial testing, it seems this also fixes the deck gun manning (or rather, not being manned) issue, which was caused by the command requiring morale from the watch officer???

What were they thinking?

Highbury
03-04-10, 04:43 AM
Thank you :up:

Vikinger
03-04-10, 05:29 AM
I've made a mod that is a bit of a simple work around, but I felt I'd share it all the same.

Now crew members will obey commands regardless of morale. Until the broken morale system is fixed and the ability to boost morale becomes easier to attain, I think this is an absolute necessity. Download here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1563

Thank you. I will defently test/try this needed mod.
Its quite silly that the crew refuse to work if the morale is low.
It would never happend in RL no matter how low thier morale is.

If they refused to do the work they got shoot.

BlackSpot
03-04-10, 06:06 AM

birdy
03-04-10, 06:38 AM

kptn_kaiserhof
03-04-10, 06:44 AM
mmmmmm i must agree

piri_reis
03-04-10, 06:51 AM
Cool, so you basically zeroed the moral costs: MoraleCost= 0, 0, 0
Some things in there are just plain dumb, why would the Watch Officer demoralize if they manned the deck gun. :doh:

coronas
03-04-10, 07:21 AM
Discipline and punishment

In the modern age, discipline has become conflated with punishment, but in the 18th century it meant organisation; good discipline meant that the ship was well ordered, not that the men were soundly flogged. Men were punished, however, if they failed to do their duty, and put the ship and the rest of the crew in danger. Among the worst offences were falling asleep on duty, refusing to follow orders, or 'unclean behaviour' - such as relieving bodily functions inboard, rather than using the rudimentary toilet facilities. All of these offences threatened the safety of the ship and her crew.
Contemporary naval punishments have become legendary, and strike us as inhuman; flogging with the cat-o'-nine-tails and hanging were the major punishments, while the men were occasionally 'started', or encouraged to work, with a blow from the end of a rope. There was no system of imprisonment, or financial penalty, although the rum ration could be stopped. However, we must remember that 18th-century society on shore relied on similar corporal and capital punishment. If anything, naval punishment was less severe, for sailors were a scarce and valuable resource that no captain would waste; also, flogging meant that the punishment was quickly completed, and the man could return to duty. There was no alternative, because the navy was, in all things, a reflection of the society it served.
Formal punishments were always inflicted in public, using consciously theatrical methods to ensure the maximum deterrent effect. The crew would be formed up on deck, with the marines separating the officers from the seamen, while the punishment was carried out according to established custom. Some crimes were handled by the crew - thieves were forced to 'run the gauntlet', allowing their shipmates to strike them with rope ends. This was a highly effective means of deterring a man from committing any fundamental breach of the trust that had to subsist between men who literally depended upon each other for their lives.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/life_at_sea_01.shtml#two

:arrgh!::arrgh!::arrgh!:

Many thanks for your mod!!

Ragtag
03-04-10, 08:37 AM
Thanks a bunch. With moral system broken you save the day :)

Sky999
03-04-10, 10:12 AM
So basically I download the Generic Mod Enabler, go to the MODS folder, then create a folder called 'Morale Mod', then just drag the SpecialAbilities.upc file in it?

mookiemookie
03-04-10, 10:20 AM
So basically I download the Generic Mod Enabler, go to the MODS folder, then create a folder called 'Morale Mod', then just drag the SpecialAbilities.upc file in it?

No, no - download JSGME, extract it to your base /Ubisoft/SH5 installation folder. Run it - it will create a MODS folder. Then, when you want to install a mod, you download the mod file, and extract the whole thing, as is, to your MODS folder. Then you run JSGME and activate the mod from there. If you mess with the file structure, JSGME won't work correctly.

Jeevz
03-04-10, 10:24 AM
Thanks much, I was hoping someone would give us a quick fix while we wait for the morale bug to be fixed. :salute:

Sky999
03-04-10, 10:27 AM
No, no - download JSGME, extract it to your base /Ubisoft/SH5 installation folder. Run it - it will create a MODS folder. Then, when you want to install a mod, you download the mod file, and extract the whole thing, as is, to your MODS folder. Then you run JSGME and activate the mod from there. If you mess with the file structure, JSGME won't work correctly.

Quite right, I thank you, and good day to you sir. :ping:

remowilliams
03-04-10, 10:46 AM
Yessss! Thank you! :yeah:

The morale bug makes it pointless to even attempt playing.

etheberge
03-04-10, 12:11 PM
Bloody good show R-T-B! Well done sir.

gutted
03-04-10, 12:26 PM
Thank you!!!!

One question:

With this they always obey orders.. but does morale still have an effect though? .ie High morale they perform it quicker/better, low morale (or none) they perform slower/worse?

R-T-B
03-04-10, 05:16 PM
Thank you!!!!

One question:

With this they always obey orders.. but does morale still have an effect though? .ie High morale they perform it quicker/better, low morale (or none) they perform slower/worse?

I wish I knew the answer to that. I think it probably effects performance, but have yet to confirm that... One could hope.

Glad everyone likes it, it was quite the simple text edit really as one guy noted. ;)

jlederer
03-04-10, 08:25 PM
With morale broken, game was only good for "fooling around". At least now we can actually *try* to play it. Thanks!

Cptn_Enth
03-04-10, 08:40 PM
Thank you again, R-T-B, for making this mod!

TopcatWA
03-04-10, 11:20 PM
Thanks.:up:

remowilliams
03-04-10, 11:49 PM
One thing I've noticed is that non Fkey mapped special abilities (i.e. those requiring crew conversation) still will not work - such as Reduce Flooding, etc.

R-T-B
03-04-10, 11:50 PM
One thing I've noticed is that non Fkey mapped special abilities (i.e. those requiring crew conversation) still will not work - such as Reduce Flooding, etc.

Really? "Man/secure the deck gun" seems to work for me, for example. Isn't it crew conversation only?

remowilliams
03-05-10, 12:05 AM
Really? "Man/secure the deck gun" seems to work for me, for example. Isn't it crew conversation only?

No, it's mapped to F5. Just like F6 is Flak gun, F7 is Battle Stations, F8 is Silent Running, etc.

R-T-B
03-05-10, 12:07 AM
Wow, I guess map keys then if you want commands to work. I'd probably need the source code to fix that...

Then again, there's nothing to stop you from mapping it to some shift hotkey you'd never use if you want to have the immersion of giving orders via people.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's not working? I used that "Radio stealth" ability with my navigator, and I'm right off the british coast. Haven't been bombed out of the water yet.

remowilliams
03-05-10, 12:09 AM
Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's not working?
At some point after the morale drops to zero for the individual crew members, I can't even select their special abilities via dialog, which is why I use the F keys.

Last case my boat was flooding something fierce, with no way to ask for 'Reduce Flooding' :)

R-T-B
03-05-10, 12:25 AM
At some point after the morale drops to zero for the individual crew members, I can't even select their special abilities via dialog, which is why I use the F keys.

Last case my boat was flooding something fierce, with no way to ask for 'Reduce Flooding' :)

That I might be able to fix.

Let's see. :)

R-T-B
03-05-10, 01:32 AM
No luck finding where dialogs are managed. Anyone have any pointers?

R-T-B
03-05-10, 02:37 AM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1568

Try this file people. It's a test file, and may do terrible, unspeakable things as well as not fix the problem. But more than likely it will just work, not work, or CTD with no damage to your savegame.

I can't reproduce the behavior above so if someone wants to try my "best guess fix" this may be what your looking for.

remowilliams
03-05-10, 06:16 PM
Looks like I can access the Chief Engineer, XO, and Watch Officer special abilities now via dialog, after all morale is zeroed out. Yay! I can accelerate repairs and getting the water out :)

The Sound/Radar and Torpedo officers still have their abilities greyed out, but I'm also not really sure if there are restrictions on how or when their abilities can be used...

R-T-B
03-05-10, 06:37 PM
Dumb Question, Have you enabled their abilities by spending points? Active abilities require that.

A few more positive reports about the test version and I'll make if official. :)

remowilliams
03-05-10, 06:50 PM
Not a dumb question at all - I didn't know you had to spend points... :doh: I just assumed that the other officers active abilities were like the XO, Watchman and Engineer whose abilities are available from the start.

So, now that I did - yes their abilities are selectable through the dialogs now even at the dreaded zero morale level.

I made a special meal, and got my torpedoes warmed up. Yay! :)

R-T-B
03-05-10, 09:48 PM
Ok, the first one is now official as far as I'm concerned. I'm removing the old one from this post. Everyone is advised to update!

:)

wetwarev7
03-06-10, 08:58 AM
The download page says it is a test version, and to look for an original version. Is there a prior stable version available?

R-T-B
03-06-10, 06:06 PM
Sorry, forgot to edit that. The test version is now stable and works fine. :)

wetwarev7
03-07-10, 10:31 AM
I'm bumping this thread cause it fixed a lot of crew problems for me, and it may help others. Hate to see it get lost....

Could we sticky this till Ubisoft fixes the morale issues?

R-T-B
03-08-10, 01:33 AM
I'm doing a self-bump for the same reasons.

Mad_Mark
03-08-10, 06:47 PM
Help please I extracted and copied to the Mod folder that JSME created ,I did not mess with the MOD, I just copied as is then enabled in JSME ok. Started game from port so I had some morale point but now the morale points have gone I seem to be back to pre-Mod status and none of the officers will obey commands with their abbilities.The torpedo officer won't pre-heat torpedoes for example now his morale points are gone or do I only get to use once per patrol?
What do I do differently to get this to work?

R-T-B
03-08-10, 11:00 PM
Ok, that's very strange. I would try the older version if I were you and see if it's a glitch with the new test version that I just declared ok...

Here's a link:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1563

Mondaiji
03-09-10, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the mod.

After playing with this mod on for some time i get a strange effect. Now i can't say if it is your mod or not my guess it is.

On a new patrol if i ask the cook to make a special the timer for the following use states 4weeks plus.

Have you any idea what that could be?

PS: I had the test version first and the "official" now both on the same playthrough.

R-T-B
03-10-10, 03:00 AM
Hmmm.... That's very strange. I admit the test version I released had a very iffy edit done to it, which is why I was hesititant to call it official until people tested it and it (seemed) to work. Unfortunately, it may have glitches still, and I'd advise everyone to go back to the old version for a bit. I"m sorry to have to do this, but I'm issuing a "recall" until I figure out what's going on. From what I can tell, this behavior once initiated may be irreversable until next patrol. I'd revert and give that a try.

Anyhow, my most sincere appologies about the mistake. I've admitedly been focusing more on my other dynamic campaign engine, but I'll get back to this soon.

Keep the reports coming guys.

Pom
03-21-10, 02:02 AM
Thanks for this:)

Mraah
03-21-10, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the mod.

After playing with this mod on for some time i get a strange effect. Now i can't say if it is your mod or not my guess it is.

On a new patrol if i ask the cook to make a special the timer for the following use states 4weeks plus.

Have you any idea what that could be?

PS: I had the test version first and the "official" now both on the same playthrough.

I've seen this extra delay for cooldown in the stock version. I found that the Bosun's Propaganda was pemanently causing extra cooldown instead of just affecting the next cooldown only.

I stopped using it when my cook's delay was exceeding 1 day ... but frankly, a special meal every day doesn't bother me now since before it was like every 4 hours ... it's not really a special meal anymore if you're eating it six times a day!

Rob

Justy
03-24-10, 09:37 PM
New guy here. After hearing about subsims from my brother-in-law for years I decided to give one a try and saw this one at my local Best Buy a couple of days ago and picked it up. That night while visiting said bro-in-law, and after he lectured me about indirectly supporting Ubisoft and their copy protection thingy (didn't know about it and don't care), he told me about this site. I screwed up my registration and before the head honcho here fixed my goof (thanks again!) my bro downloaded and gave me some mods to try and make the game better.

This is one of the mods he gave me. I must be doing something wrong as it doesn't seem to work for me. I can be out hunting ships and then do something stupid and want to try again and load a saved game but all the morale is gone. My bro told me how to install this with that jsmge thing and I know I did some mod installs right as I see the difference in the periscope one that I have (cool one!) but this one isn't working for me. I'd ask my bro but he doesn't have the game so I'm asking here. Any ideas what I screwed up?

kylania
03-24-10, 09:48 PM
I must be doing something wrong as it doesn't seem to work for me. I can be out hunting ships and then do something stupid and want to try again and load a saved game but all the morale is gone.

Welcome aboard Justy! You didn't do anything wrong. This mod won't fix the loss of morale (which is being fixed in the upcoming patch btw) but instead the mod does away with the need for morale at all.

Without the mod if you loaded a save and tried to man the deck gun or go into silent running your crew would say no or just ignore you. Now those things happen. :)

Justy
03-24-10, 10:05 PM
Welcome aboard Justy! You didn't do anything wrong. This mod won't fix the loss of morale (which is being fixed in the upcoming patch btw) but instead the mod does away with the need for morale at all.

Without the mod if you loaded a save and tried to man the deck gun or go into silent running your crew would say no or just ignore you. Now those things happen. :)

Thanks for the welcome kylania and for setting me straight on what this thing does. Guess I should have actually read about these mods my bro gave me instead of just installing them thinking they would do what I assumed they would... Good to know it's "working" the way it should. So I guess that means I don't have to run around and try to cheer everyone up then, huh? :)

shearerc
07-23-10, 10:13 PM
Compatible with SH5 v1.2 ?

THE_MASK
07-23-10, 11:30 PM
Compatible with SH5 v1.2 ?The morale was fixed in patch 1.2 However check this out . http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=164996

SR-71
11-10-10, 04:19 PM
Thanks a lot for your great tweak!:salute:

mamlasraz
01-20-13, 02:17 AM
I would like to say hello and thank for this amazing mod!!!! very well

Trevally.
01-20-13, 04:34 AM
I would like to say hello and thank for this amazing mod!!!! very well

The morale was fixed in patch 1.2

If you have updated your game to v1.2, then this mod will break your game