PDA

View Full Version : [REL] Accurate German Flags

etheberge
02-28-10, 10:01 PM
Accurate German Flags v.1.01

Well you know someone had to do it...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=190&pictureid=1344

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=190&pictureid=1350

This is a small mod to replace the fake default German flags with historically accurate flags. This includes the German Merchant flag, the Kriegsmarine flag, the Nazi banner in the U-boat pens and the flags on the deck of the Bismark.

Please no political or moral discussions, everyone is free to use this mod or not depending on how they feel.

I didn't make the german.dds and german_m.dds textures, I don't know who did originally and I think they've been around forever, I only made the flag.dds texture and modified the default NBB_Bismark skin. Thanks to Highbury and Ragtag for the reminder about that last one.

Install
-------
Install with JSGME or manually copy all DDS files in their respective folders.

Download
---------
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1555 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1555&act=down)

CCIP
02-28-10, 10:58 PM
Hehe, thanks. As much as I understand Ubi's reason for removing them, I just always get these "Great Dictator" vibes from the cross flags :)

JScones
03-01-10, 02:00 AM
Did the game come with german.dds, german_m.dds and flag.dds files in the Textures folder? In SH3 the texture files overrode the files stored in the dats...which contained the swastikas. Thus returning the swastika was simply a matter of deleting those files from the Textures folder.

Just musing...

etheberge
03-01-10, 03:44 AM
Did the game come with german.dds, german_m.dds and flag.dds files in the Textures folder? In SH3 the texture files overrode the files stored in the dats...which contained the swastikas. Thus returning the swastika was simply a matter of deleting those files from the Textures folder.

Yes JScones now that you mention it I remember that...

Yes those 3 dds files came with the game. Along with half the files from SH3 and SHIV :-) I swear if they removed all the useless crap from the two previous games, SHV would ship on a 650meg CD-ROM.

I tried just deleting them to see what would happen and you were right, the flags on the ships revert back to historically accurate but the large banner in the U-boat pen is just black. I guess that one isn't included in a old dat file somewhere since it's a new texture.

Ragtag
03-01-10, 07:16 AM
Works fine except for the swaztika on Bismarcks deck. Anyone know which file that is?

thfeu58
03-01-10, 09:04 AM
Thank you etheberge, we in Germany do not have SH5 yet, but your Modds I have already moved, also No Damn Bubbles, No Damn Halo Mod.

Greeting to Canada,
thfeu58

gutted
03-01-10, 10:50 AM
Thank you.

I understand why they remove it (stupid laws).. but i digress. Ignoring history makes us doomed to repeat it.

Sailor Steve
03-01-10, 11:35 AM
Another good one comes out right away!

Good job!:salute:

Safe-Keeper
03-01-10, 12:59 PM
Please no political or moral discussions, everyone is free to use this mod or not depending on how they feel.Doesn't matter as long as you also make a mod that makes me man a Norwegian u-boat, based in Norway (pre-invasion) or the UK:O:.

Install with JSGME I still haven't gotten over how JSGME is compatible with SH5. Thought it had a new engine and everything.

Sailor Steve
03-01-10, 01:05 PM
I still haven't gotten over how JSGME is compatible with SH5. Thought it had a new engine and everything.
The 'G' stands for 'Generic'. JSGME was made to work with any game, and I think long before SH3 came out.

Galanti
03-01-10, 01:06 PM
I still haven't gotten over how JSGME is compatible with SH5. Thought it had a new engine and everything.

That's because JSGME stands for Jonessoft Generic Mod Enabler. It will work with just about any game.

FIREWALL
03-01-10, 01:11 PM
Where are these files ?

In Ubisoft folder I have Ubisoft Launcher.

Inside that I have a data folder .

Inside that are 5 numbered folders and a default folder.

I've opened them all and no cfg, texture or anything like previous SH 3&4

Highbury
03-01-10, 04:20 PM
Works fine except for the swaztika on Bismarcks deck. Anyone know which file that is?

Silent Hunter 5\data\sea\NBB_Bismark\NMS_Bismark_AO01.dds

Looks like that is it.

EgoApocalypse
03-01-10, 05:03 PM
Haha Thanks.....I wont even get to see the original flags .:D

NICE!!!!!!!!!!

etheberge
03-01-10, 05:48 PM
Where are these files ?

In Ubisoft folder I have Ubisoft Launcher.

Inside that I have a data folder .

Inside that are 5 numbered folders and a default folder.

I've opened them all and no cfg, texture or anything like previous SH 3&4

It seems like you're looking in the wrong place Firewall. The default installation path for the game is now C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\. It looks like you're checking C:\Program Files\Ubisoft

etheberge
03-01-10, 06:31 PM

Silent Hunter 5\data\sea\NBB_Bismark\NMS_Bismark_AO01.dds

Looks like that is it.

Thanks guys I didn't think to change this one. I modified the first post with an updated download that includes the modified skin for the Biskmark.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=190&pictureid=1350

Re-download the updated zip file if you've already installed the mod.

Thanks again,

GFC Christian
03-02-10, 02:49 AM
Danke schoen, etheberge :up:

JScones
03-02-10, 03:04 AM
The 'G' stands for 'Generic'. JSGME was made to work with any game, and I think long before SH3 came out.
:yep: I first wrote it back in 1998 when I was modding Flying Corps Gold and EAW. Took 7 years before Beery coaxed me into releasing it.

Sgtmonkeynads
03-02-10, 03:36 AM
@JSCONES ( and every other person out there that makes a Mod)

I thank you for doing so! So many of you guys do so much for free,
I wish there was a way to repay the community, besides donating.

FIREWALL
03-03-10, 04:15 PM
It seems like you're looking in the wrong place Firewall. The default installation path for the game is now C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\. It looks like you're checking C:\Program Files\Ubisoft

You were right on the money Thx. :salute:

I feel like a dope. :doh: :rotfl2:

redcoat22
03-03-10, 04:54 PM
Any word on the uniform fixes too? Hats mainly

Davion
03-04-10, 09:24 AM
I've started editing the aircraft .dds files for Germany, replacing the crosses on the tails with the historical hakenkreuz, once I finish 'em up I can pass them on to you if you'd like.

soldat32
03-04-10, 05:12 PM
I understand that its illegal in Germany to have swastikas,maybe a few other countries but its ridiculous.I am not condoning nazism here but its history and it should not be censored.The hammer and sickle,Che Guevara symbols,and anything else having to do with communism is just as bad and yet they are not outlawed.Considering how many people were wiped out due to communism,far outweighs the numbers at Nazi hands.:roll:

Thanks to the modder's for mods.:up:

DaWu
03-04-10, 06:16 PM
thanks mate. great work

McHibbins
03-04-10, 07:09 PM
THX mate :yeah:

mobucks
03-05-10, 08:02 AM
can't get it to work, even went as far as directly overwriting the files without JSGME, and still old flags inside sub pen. i hate this game.

LiveGoat
03-05-10, 12:35 PM
I understand that its illegal in Germany to have swastikas,maybe a few other countries but its ridiculous.I am not condoning nazism here but its history and it should not be censored.The hammer and sickle,Che Guevara symbols,and anything else having to do with communism is just as bad and yet they are not outlawed.Considering how many people were wiped out due to communism,far outweighs the numbers at Nazi hands.:roll:

Thanks to the modder's for mods.:up:

I hear you. There's a bar in New York called KGB Bar and it's totally done up in the Soviet style with pictures of all the usual suspects adorning the walls. The place is always packed with the hip crowd. I've only been there a few times to see friends in plays in the little theatre above it (called "The Red Room"), but I find the place repulsive. I've always thought if I ever got the cash, I'd open a bar across the street from it called "SS" just to make a point but I guess I'd just be stooping to their level.

Of course that's different from a historical sim, in which accuracy should be adhered to.

Davion
03-05-10, 01:19 PM
can't get it to work, even went as far as directly overwriting the files without JSGME, and still old flags inside sub pen. i hate this game.

The sub pen at the title screen or actually in game?

etheberge
03-05-10, 05:52 PM
I've started editing the aircraft .dds files for Germany, replacing the crosses on the tails with the historical hakenkreuz, once I finish 'em up I can pass them on to you if you'd like.

Sounds good Davion, feel free to release them separately too, whatever you'd like. I know I'd use them.

Any word on the uniform fixes too? Hats mainly

I'll look into it but I doubt I'll be changing those, we'll see. I'm sure someone much more skilled than me will be releasing all new uniforms pretty soon anyway.

etheberge
03-05-10, 05:56 PM

You are copying the flag.dds file to Silent Hunter 5\Data\Textures\TNormal\tex and nothing changes? That's strange.

And like Davion said, you're not just looking at the pen in the main menu right?

fsp
03-06-10, 08:36 AM
Brilliant stuff, thank you very much.

Could someone also tend to the "GERMANY.dds" file as it displays the current German eagle (post-war) instead of the WWII eagle? Not even sure if and where in the game it is displayed, just looked through the files and saw that it is not the correct one.

KayeM
03-06-10, 08:57 AM
Nice mod, thanks alot.
Are you going to edit the medals and captains bed also?

captainspaulding
03-06-10, 04:57 PM
vielen dank, etheberge !

etheberge
03-06-10, 07:46 PM
Brilliant stuff, thank you very much.

Could someone also tend to the "GERMANY.dds" file as it displays the current German eagle (post-war) instead of the WWII eagle? Not even sure if and where in the game it is displayed, just looked through the files and saw that it is not the correct one.

Yeah I saw it too but I haven't seen it used in game yet. If anyone spots that eagle anywhere let me know.

Nice mod, thanks alot.
Are you going to edit the medals and captains bed also?

Maybe I'll do the medals but I'm not sure which file the game actually uses for them, there's like 3 or 4 texture files for medals left over from previous versions. And I haven't gotten far enough to find out because I've only actually played the game for about 30 minutes so far :-)

TIGERisBACK
03-06-10, 08:17 PM
This germany.dds is a CT Emblem and it shows one version of "Weimarer Republik" eagle not post-war.

Wolfenstein
03-07-10, 09:56 AM
Hi,

I want to change the Bismarck textures/colors to 41-Style with Dark-Grey cannons etc. but I can't find the texture file. The "NMS_Bismark_AO01" file does not include the cannon textures.

So can someone help me where to find these file/s?

etheberge
03-07-10, 05:14 PM
Hi,

I want to change the Bismarck textures/colors to 41-Style with Dark-Grey cannons etc. but I can't find the texture file. The "NMS_Bismark_AO01" file does not include the cannon textures.

So can someone help me where to find these file/s?

If it's anything like SHIV, the turrets are separate models with different texture files. Unfortunately I don't know what they are. Someone else more experienced in skinning ships can probably help you.

tennozan
03-10-10, 09:40 PM
I'd appreciate having the fully historical correct medals too. Thanks!

etheberge
03-10-10, 10:27 PM
I'd appreciate having the fully historical correct medals too. Thanks!

See this post:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1303518&postcount=25

Ual002 already made them but I don't think he made a new thread, not sure.

tennozan
03-11-10, 10:51 AM
Great - thanks for the directions.

ual002
03-11-10, 11:18 AM
Nah, I wasnt thinking, good catch.

phlazza
03-24-10, 01:10 PM
I can't go to the link to download the file... I am registered but can' enter...

Hans Schultz
03-24-10, 01:21 PM
thanks!

etheberge
03-24-10, 07:33 PM
I can't go to the link to download the file... I am registered but can' enter...

Hello, I saw your PM but I don't know what you are talking about my friend, the download link in the first post works fine, I just downloaded it again.

Here it is again: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1555&act=down

Maybe your Subsim account wasn't enabled yet or something.

thruster
03-25-10, 02:40 AM
talking of flags, is it possible to add a flag to the wintergarden flagpole??

Decoman
03-25-10, 05:16 AM
I can't imagine that the crew would have a flag flying, except perhaps near harbours? (I have no idea, I don't know much about flags)

Idea for flags : Using alpha channel to create a worn out flag. Don't know how good the wear and tear will look, trying out some different resolution sizes might offer some variants. Perhaps even low res ones will look ok.

Hotkey support for turning on a flag in the wintergarden would be nice. If no animation can't be made, a fade in effect would look a bit better than a flag just popping up.

Maybe the German uboats had other kinds of flags as well?

phlazza
03-25-10, 12:05 PM
Thanks etheberge, maybe yesterday I wasn't totally registered yet... because I have clicked today on the link and downloaded the file in few seconds.

wcl19830505
07-06-10, 06:07 PM
thanks

gbws
06-25-11, 06:09 PM
thanks

Jovianmoon
11-24-11, 09:44 AM
Looks great. I wish I could use it. Tried it with JGSME. Doesn't work. Looks like I'm stuck with politically correct markings. Oh well... thanks anyway.

Sailor Steve
11-24-11, 11:22 AM
WELCOME ABOARD! :sunny:
Looks great. I wish I could use it. Tried it with JGSME. Doesn't work. Looks like I'm stuck with politically correct markings. Oh well... thanks anyway.
Exactly which folder did you put into JSGME? It has to be done precisely or else it won't work. If you tried to put the first folder (the one with the zipper on it) JSGME can't read it. You need to take out the next folder (with exactly the same name but no zipper) and install that one.

Jovianmoon
11-27-11, 02:35 AM
WELCOME ABOARD! :sunny:

Exactly which folder did you put into JSGME? It has to be done precisely or else it won't work. If you tried to put the first folder (the one with the zipper on it) JSGME can't read it. You need to take out the next folder (with exactly the same name but no zipper) and install that one.

Thanks for the welcome Steve!

I decided to see if I had made a mistake with installing the mod, but now I can't launch the game at all. "Ubisoft Game Launcher: Error code 2".

I've had enough and uninstalled this game. I'll be quite satisfied to continue playing SH3 and 4. I objected to this whole "must be online to play" nonsense in the first place. I only relented and bought SH5 because it was on xmas special for $13.00. The disc will make an attractive coaster, however...

Thanks anyway. You might see me surface again in the SH3/SH4 forums.

Cheers me shiverin' maties.

flostt
11-27-11, 06:56 AM
jovianmoon, the online requirement has been removed....

see here : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=189245

jrescalante
11-27-11, 05:31 PM
Greetings Jovianmoon,

You may want want to watch some of Stoianm's tutorials. He has one on loading MODs. Not sure if it's listed in this thread, but you can also search for his channel on youtube if it isn't. Here's the link to the thread. Navigate to the first post in the thread.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181538

Jovianmoon
12-13-11, 10:51 AM
jovianmoon, the online requirement has been removed....

see here : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=189245

Thanks flostt! I noticed the sticky when I just logged in.

I may be persuaded to give it another go... maybe :03:

Jovianmoon
12-13-11, 10:56 AM
Greetings Jovianmoon,

You may want want to watch some of Stoianm's tutorials. He has one on loading MODs. Not sure if it's listed in this thread, but you can also search for his channel on youtube if it isn't. Here's the link to the thread. Navigate to the first post in the thread.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181538

Thanks jrescalante, I'll have a look on youtube. Although, I've never had a problem with JSGME mod installs for SH3 and 4. Hell, including GWX, my SH3 is more mod than stock game...:DL

See you on the high seas.

bareklongboe
07-12-12, 10:33 AM
This mod is awesome and is a must have for authenticity.

Cybermat47
08-08-12, 06:33 PM
I installed this mod, but then the game started to CTD when the menu loaded, and I had to reinstall the game. Any idea how I can install the mod without ctds?

gap
08-08-12, 06:55 PM
I installed this mod, but then the game started to CTD when the menu loaded, and I had to reinstall the game. Any idea how I can install the mod without ctds?

Hi Cybermat47,

honestly I cannot see how this mod could scrap the game: I've checked it, and it contains just a few textures. Besides this, it is an old and quite popular mod: if it had such a side effect, many would have complained before you. :yep:

My suggestion is to redownload it, just in case some of its files were corrupted during your first download, and to enable it again using JSGME. :up:

GT182
08-08-12, 07:24 PM
I can't imagine that the crew would have a flag flying, except perhaps near harbours? (I have no idea, I don't know much about flags)

My same thought. There's no way I'd want a flag flying while I'm surfaced in enemy waters. A certain set distance from a Friendly or Home port would be ok. Just so they know who in hell you are due to strict radio silence orders. If you're surrenduring, that's a different story; and a white flag is needed. ;)

Can anyone change this mod so a flag doesn't fly until a set distance from a German port? Say 10 to 20 KMs.

Or even a port in some Friendly countriy? The crew and I might want to sneak off to So. America and retire early. ;) :D

Cybermat47
08-08-12, 08:05 PM
Hi Cybermat47,

honestly I cannot see how this mod could scrap the game: I've checked it, and it contains just a few textures. Besides this, it is an old and quite popular mod: if it had such a side effect, many would have complained before you. :yep:

My suggestion is to redownload it, just in case some of its files were corrupted during your first download, and to enable it again using JSGME. :up:

Yeah, it was downloading weirdly. Thanks!

Cybermat47
08-10-12, 08:10 PM
Yeah, it was downloading weirdly. Thanks!

Yay it's working now!:woot:

Fish In The Water
11-08-12, 09:59 PM
Puts the 'must' in must have. Thanks very much! :)

Taino
01-05-13, 08:45 AM
gracias thanks merci.

DukeCZ
01-11-13, 02:56 AM
Thanks for this mod, god job.

mamlasraz
01-20-13, 02:13 AM
:):):)

Eyre
01-27-13, 07:50 AM
:yeah:

chrysanthos
03-17-13, 08:43 AM
can i use those flags on silent hunter 3 too?

LMD
03-17-13, 11:34 AM
can i use those flags on silent hunter 3 too?

As far as I know - there is no need to use mod for this.
Look here for details http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=253952&postcount=22

Macardigan
05-25-13, 09:12 AM
good job, thanks.:up:

V13dweller
05-25-13, 10:40 AM
This mod adds that little extra piece of realism missing into the game.

Well done.

gap
05-25-13, 10:47 AM
This mod adds that little extra piece of realism missing into the game.

Well done.

Yes I agree, though in this case we can't blame on devs the ahistorical flags, for once :03:

V13dweller
05-25-13, 10:50 AM
Yes I agree, though in this case we can't blame on devs the ahistorical flags, for once :03:

Indeed.

They must make the game acceptable for people from all ethnic backgrounds.

At least they did something right.:O:

Nexis
05-17-15, 06:28 AM
Nice Work, especially the skin of the Bismark :yeah:

Thank you :salute:

django555
06-15-15, 04:50 AM
Great mod, good work man!

ironhand911
08-21-15, 02:40 AM
AWESOME MOD TY FOR THAT LOVE THE REAL STUFF:))

THEBERBSTER
08-21-15, 04:57 AM
A Warm Welcome Back > ironhan911:subsim:
You Will Always Find Someone Here To Help You :sunny:
New To Silent Hunter <> Need Help <> Click On My Thread Link.:salute:
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2033119%23post2033119) :yeah:
Treat Yourself To The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod <> SH5 The Dawn Of A New Beginning :) (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2165720&postcount=1)
Post #24 Shaefer’s Season 2 Let's Play Silent Hunter 5 YouTube Videos:ping: (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2185189&postcount=24)

Mort Mortimer
10-09-17, 01:53 AM
Do what it is supposed to do. Many Thanks

Sirrvs
03-22-21, 01:58 PM

Did anyone ever get around to editing the skins for German aircraft? I'm enjoying SH5 with TWOS so far, so this is just a minor nitpick, but the iron crosses on the aircraft still jump out at me as inaccurate.

Jeff-Groves
03-22-21, 03:48 PM
I'm actually surprised no one has added the markers so Nation assigned to would change the side and wing marks.
Though I don't know if that's still coded in SH5.

kapuhy
03-22-21, 05:43 PM
I'm actually surprised no one has added the markers so Nation assigned to would change the side and wing marks.
Though I don't know if that's still coded in SH5.

If you mean roundels and national markings on planes, they are part of aicraft diffuse texture. You can make aircraft use different diffuse textures with different nations of course, but - at least to my knowledge - you can't separate national markings from camouflage.

Of course there's also a bug (I know - in SH5? Impossible!) that prevents LOD gr2 models from using any camouflages except for default one, so at long range texture you have asigned to another nation switches back to default.

Jeff-Groves
03-22-21, 05:46 PM
So if a Stuka is assigned to Spain you need the whole texture for Spain correct?

Jeff-Groves
03-22-21, 06:09 PM
Hmmmm
Code is still in the SH5.exe and the Markings folder is still there.

kapuhy
03-23-21, 02:24 AM
So if a Stuka is assigned to Spain you need the whole texture for Spain correct?

That's how I've been doing it so far and that's how Ubisoft did it in only stock plane that is assigned to more than one nation (FloatingPlane.GR2, the would-be Catalina, which has US and UK textures).

Edit: Technically, not the only one: Sunderland is assigned to several countries in place of planes that were not modeled in time for relase, including to Italy as z-501 recon plane - but it shows up in its normal British markings. They are so similar though, who'd even notice the difference:

https://i.imgur.com/tqWmyHS.jpg

Hmmmm
Code is still in the SH5.exe and the Markings folder is still there.

I wouldn't be surprised if capability for it was still in game - after all, ships in .dat format were found to work in SH5. I wasn't modding yet when great SH3/4 mods were being created though so I'm not familiar with how things worked back in these games.

Jeff-Groves
03-24-21, 04:41 PM
I checked some AirCraft files in TWO's that are in Dat format.
They don't have the necessary parts for the auto change.
:nope: