Will SHV be playable on Linux?

Ty 4 answer

mau----

Platapus
10-11-09, 07:24 AM
ohhh now that would be nice. :up:

kapitan_zur_see
10-12-09, 07:50 AM
Of no interest and irrelevant comercialy wise. Time and budget consuming on the other hand so it's of course not going to happen ;)

Paulowanclift
10-12-09, 08:36 AM
So long as they don't start developing for consoles aswell I'm not really bothered. Making OFP2 a console game is what made what should of been a awesome sequel into something utterly disappointing.

So if any dev's read this, don't you dare start dumbing games down for the playstation generation. :arrgh!:

Rockin Robbins
10-12-09, 08:46 AM
Because the game would run about twice as fast on Linux, allowing older machines, which would otherwise not be able to play the game, to participate, it would be a fine move. In a similar way that software is simultaneously produced for the Apple and PC market, a cross-compiler would leave very little extra work to do to accomplish the task.

Somebody has to break the logjam, bring commercial software to a reluctant Linux world and unleash the same revolution that overtook the Internet to Linux. This will happen. The only questions are who will do it and when.

Certainly any game would benefit from Linux' increased stability, misery resource requirements, quick booting and exit, security, customization, speed and absolutely free cost.

theluckyone17
10-12-09, 09:34 AM
I'd be satisfied settling with "Works with WINE", versus a native Linux client.

Is it realistic? Probably not. DirectX support in WINE wasn't all that great, last I knew (things might've changed). Toss in the usual DRM mess, and things look bleak.

kapitan_zur_see
10-12-09, 04:08 PM
Game would of course benefits from linux. It's a great OS, very stable and efficient. But the amount of people using it, especially amongst your average users, is a total minority and it's never gonna change. Sadly, windows is far too much established by now to revert the steam or turn the table. Publisher, and that's understandable, won't throw a dollar of budget and time to publish something that will concern a mere 0.1% of potential customers...

The only way something like that will ever happen one day, is when linux will be eventually capable of emulating windows to launch programs designed for it WHILST being able to run them faster and more efficiently.

In the meantime, nobody will ever use linux on a massive scale other than for some very dedicated work (server etc.)

Fincuan
10-12-09, 04:30 PM
In the meantime, nobody will ever use linux on a massive scale other than for some very dedicated work (server etc.)

Not true. It probably isn't yet widespread enough among consumers to financially justify making games for it, but many schools, universities, libraries and other public organisations sport Linuxes in general use for various reasons. Mainly because it's generally cheaper, more customizeable, easier to maintain to their own staff and more efficient in use than Windowses. Naturally it also makes them less dependant on Microsoft. For example in my university the majority(didn't find exact numbers directly, but one could calculate it from the listings) of the hundreds of workstations available to students are running Linux. I bet this number would be much higher if Windowses weren't needed for some of the scientific applications, as well as full Office compatibility.

Seeadler
10-12-09, 05:33 PM
We use Linux PC's for development of embedded software for our welding systems.

Cedega is a commercial solution to run Windows games on Linux
http://www.cedega.com/

kapitan_zur_see
10-12-09, 08:11 PM
"we use Linux for development","we use Linux at our university" and etc. ;) you're about professional use here gentlemen!!! Now go and ask your nextdoor neighbors at home if they use Linux? Bet they haven't even heard of it, they even barely knows what windows is made of for that matter... Truth is they need just every tiny programs they're used to in windows, like music stuff related and etc. Would be an enormous task for every publishers to just rewrite kind of the entire programs available on the current market. There will always be a good amount of users that will say "great, now we moved on linux still I miss some programs that hasn't been ported yet" and so on. Truth is, if you don't know a thing to Linux, you are not going to succeed to install some Linux OS on your PC right out of the box. Takes some technical knowledge of PC and its global way of working most PC users don't have. You have to know your way around... As for cedega, I heavily doubt it's able to make some game like Crysis and nextgen big stuff to run properly... Hell I don't even see any true ATI driver equivalent to its windows counterpart. But maybe I'm wrong. I'm no frequent user to Linux. No Photoshop on Linux as far as I know for example.

Kaleun_Endrass
10-13-09, 02:36 AM
No Photoshop on Linux as far as I know for example.There is gimp & inkscape for it.

The General
10-13-09, 03:04 AM
I'm not a huge fan of monopolies and think a little competition is a healthy thing. I agree that in order for Linux to win more customers they must be better than the competition by a long way. So much better that a major games developer, like Ubisoft for example, takes notice.

Fincuan
10-13-09, 03:22 AM
If you go for Linux looking for exactly the same experience, with the same set of programs, as with Windows, you'll be disappointed. They aren't there. There is, however, a free alternative for practically anything you would use in a Windows environment, and as a basic rule these are extremely professionally done and meet or exceed the quality of their Windows counterparts. In some areas, like video editing, there are no good free alternatives for Windows, while there are several ranging from consumer to professional-level for Linux.

The installation nightmare is also starting to be a thing in the past, but it depends a little on the distro one chooses to use. The last time I reinstalled all the stuff on my PC I went for a dual Windows 7/Ubuntu 9.04 install, and of those two Ubuntu was a bit easier. Moreover it was more ready straight ouf of the box, with the necessary drivers and applications, while I had to do some tweaking and install a ****load of apps to make 7 run well.

Imho the biggest problem consumer-wise is that people are afraid of change and want to stick with the stuff they've always used, and the fact that their views on Linux are based on stuff they've read or learned years ago.

kapitan_zur_see
10-13-09, 03:23 AM
There is gimp & inkscape for it.

Gimp is certainly very good considering how it is developed. But still, it doesn't stand the comparison with photoshop. Nothing does. Now I don't pretend having tested every programs bit so far for me, nothing beats it. BTW I agree, windows users would benefits a lot from some competition between OS! Remember that crappy Vista... Oh and please Microsoft, please find some artist designers, I'm tired of having the sensation of using an educational game with cartoon colors when I use windows lol

Fincuan
10-13-09, 03:27 AM
I agree that there's nothing I'm aware of that beats PS in professional use, but it's a different thing for consumers. Let's face it, if you want it legally it costs quite a lot of money, while GIMP is free.

Navarre
10-13-09, 06:15 AM
I agree that there's nothing I'm aware of that beats PS in professional use
The professionals don't use Photoshop on Windows, they use it on MacOS:DL
I work in company which produce multimedia/educational applications and games and our graphics department uses exclusively Mac's. Don't forget, for years PS was an Mac-only product:D