PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo spread

Stormende
06-24-09, 03:04 AM
OK guys, this is a simple question I have been trying to find the answer to no avail so maybe you can help me to clear this thing.

I have been trying to get the hang of torpedo spread, so far I am able to hit a ship with 100% accuracy the problem is: I only see 3 holes on the ship but reports of 4 hits, I can also hear 4 explosions and see the fire thru the periscope. Thought that maybe I launched the 1 - 2 torpedo so fast but it doesn't make any sense, even if I did that, are not they supposed to hit the ship with 1 degree apart? Is this something encoded to the game engine? or the damaged texture for the 1st hit is not being applied? I know you might say: Who cares, all of the torps hit, the ship sinks, end of the story but I want to know because I want to hit the ship at least on 3 crucial points so it can sink faster, that is handy if you are playing RFB where the time for the ship to sink takes way longer.

Oh I also changed the depth on the torps 1-3 to run almost on the surface and 2-4 at 20 ft, did that just to check if one of the torps was hitting the same point but nope, I can see 3 holes and that is all.

:nope:

Any ideas why is this happening?

BTW I use the fast attack style or 90 fast attack or something like that, it never fails.

:D

Rockin Robbins
06-24-09, 05:16 AM
Visible ship damage is just eyecandy and has nothing whatever to do with the actual damage. Proof is that if your sub is shown with a big hole in it, you can still submerge and much of the time repair the damage at sea.

Lots of people have complained that deck gun holes cannot be seen on the target and assume that means something. Wrong! Visible damage is just eyecandy, unrelated to the real damage the target has sustained.

I have torpedoed dozens of targets which showed no physical damage at all, but still sank. I've concluded that the eyecandy, including fire, explosions and holes has very little relation to the actual damage the target sustains. Sometimes, as in the sub with a hole in it, the eyecandy overstates the severity of the damage and sometimes as in the untouched target that sinks, the eyecandy understates damage.

Stormende
06-24-09, 12:11 PM
So did my torps hit the right places then?

BTW it is your technique the one I use, pretty easy and works all the time!

I have another question that maybe you can help me to answer:

I have always used the metric system, even with American subs but now that I am playing RFB & RSRD I switched to Imperial, the thing is that sometimes I have problems with the 3 minutes, metric always reported accurately the speed with the 3 minutes 15 secs rule but Imperial will give me the wrong distance/speed at times it shows most of the time X.5 readings, I have tried 1 minute readings + nomograph and that seems to be more accurate or 4 minutes reading + nomograph works ok too.

Thankx in advance!

:yeah:

PS. I have noted that if you save your game after torpedoing a ship, with visible damage on it, if you reload the game, the ship will still be burning but no damaged texture will be applied, also some ships from RFB doesn't seem to have damaged textures since they won't apply it... Well I am not sure if this is RFB or TMO but one of them won't apply damage textures to all ships.

Rockin Robbins
06-24-09, 12:39 PM
Yeah, the game isn't perfect, but it's darn good. It's actually kind of fun to figure out the wrinkles that didn't get covered.

In the imperial system, the speed in knots is the number of hundred yards traveled in three minutes. Then it works just like measuring the number of hundred meters in three minutes fifteen seconds. Since the meter is longer than the yard, the time is extended to make it an accurate measurement.

Here's how you figure out why the number of hundred yards in three minutes works. One nautical mile is 2000 yards. If you travel 2000 yards in one hour, your speed is one knot. 2000 yards in 60 minutes is 200 yards in 6 minutes. Divide both by two and that is 100 yards in 3 minutes. If you go 200 yards in that 3 minutes you are going 2 knots. 750 yards is 7½ knots. Make sense?

It's much harder to derive with meters and knots... It's enough to know that the meter is longer than a yard so you have to use a proportionally longer time.

Stormende
06-24-09, 02:51 PM
Gracias RR!

Will keep working with imperial until I get used to it.

:up: