PDA

View Full Version : That Death Screen

The_Phoenix
06-18-09, 03:54 PM
Hello, im not exactly new here, just joined recently. What i want to ask is, is there a mod out there that doesnt give you that old spin and turn into the sky death screen? Because at times i know i can live, but it says i die anyway...

Armistead
06-18-09, 03:58 PM
You lost me. Are you referring to unknown deaths when you haven't a clue what got ya?

The_Phoenix
06-18-09, 04:03 PM
Im reffering to, when i sem to take the least bit damage, i got a little flooding, and my engines are shot up. it says i die...and when i go a little too deep, the second i hear ive got something damaged it MAY let me surface but im still going to get that death screen.

Stealhead
06-18-09, 04:05 PM
Gonna say if you get the spin you be dead. something has occured that made you hull suffer 100% damage in other words a complete rupture that is not something you can walk or swim away from the game does not take into account your having escaped a sinking submarine.

How do you know you can live anyway because as far as I am aware you must have suffered 100% damage to "die" that only occurs from 100% hull damage. I bet you hit a mine or something. Ok if you enigines are shot up I will assume you mean they are not working therefore your only means of surfacing is to blow ballast however if you do to lack of engines you have been sinking (even 1 point of damage is going to weaken your hulls crush deapth some) then you most likely sank to a point that your hull could not take any more and crunch you just imploded end of story Voi siete finti.You must be understating the situation that you where in.If you got hit by gun fire at the surface or rammed by a ship then you suffered enough damage to greatly reduce you max safe deapth.And if the flooding was bad enough it alone may been the straw that broke the camels back as this water is inside your hull and cant be rapidly pumped out via blowing the ballast anyway and that extra water could easily have been too heavy.Dont know what you had put as number one but it should always be a bulkhead causing flooding first becasue there are two things that must be done first the leak stopped and second the water pumped out to sea you want to stop anything that is adding wieght to your sub rapidly.

And there is no mod to stop you from "dying" take it like man everyone else who plays does.;)

The_Phoenix
06-18-09, 04:09 PM
:timeout: a hit to my bow by a merchant deck gun shouldnt kill me, ive been taking it like a man for quite some time now, but when i hit "dive" the ship went went to what i figured would be a normal depth (another game), instead it went to 300 feet :nope:. i had 2 compartments flooding and some random damage, but i got to the surface and managed to start fixing it...that was until it kind of randomly gave me the screen of death. Real pleasent ending to a great patrol.

Akula4745
06-18-09, 04:16 PM
Maybe you wanna manually pick a depth instead of using the dive key... something less than 300 might be better. Maybe start at 100 feet?

No mod I have seen changes the death spin. But then what do I know? LOL

The_Phoenix
06-18-09, 04:20 PM
I was at least hoping for something more realistic, i mean the game pulls it off perfectly...except that.

Stealhead
06-18-09, 04:29 PM
Phoinex the games damage control system is really very forgiving not too hard. Many SH4 players feel that the damage control is one of the most poorly done parts of the game and is too easy. In a real WWII era sub a single hit from even a small 37mm cannon could possiably result in serious damage or lose of the sub. you should think of your sub as your girlfriend or wife you dont want anything to hurt her so you walk so that you are the closest to the street if you see some punks beside a bulding you then walk on her other side so they have to get past you to grab her, same goes for the sub avoid her taking harm by thinking two steps ahead of your enemy.

Akula4745
06-18-09, 05:32 PM
Phoinex the games damage control system is really very forgiving not too hard. Many SH4 players feel that the damage control is one of the most poorly done parts of the game and is too easy. In a real WWII era sub a single hit from even a small 37mm cannon could possiably result in serious damage or lose of the sub. you should think of your sub as your girlfriend or wife you dont want anything to hurt her so you walk so that you are the closest to the street if you see some punks beside a bulding you then walk on her other side so they have to get past you to grab her, same goes for the sub avoid her taking harm by thinking two steps ahead of your enemy.

Very good advice, sir!

Armistead
06-18-09, 05:51 PM
Yep, the AI is too easy in stock, you can fight dd's on the surface. One round from a deckgun would send any sub back to port. The AI is far from realistic in stock, even with mods you can take damage that should kill you easily and keep on going.

You hit the D dive key your diving until you stop it. Use P for periscope depth or manage it yourself.

If you want to duke it out and take and give, lower the settings..some prefer to play that way. Others load the hard mods and play for real, it's just a matter of what you enjoy. When I played stock I ran around sinking the entire jap fleet, now using hardest settings many patrols end with just a few ships sunk.

Load TMO1.7 up....it will teach you to keep a good distance from armed merchants. Like most real skippers in the war, something shoots at me, I dive.

razark
06-18-09, 06:40 PM
:timeout: a hit to my bow by a merchant deck gun shouldnt kill me, ive been taking it like a man for quite some time now, but when i hit "dive" the ship went went to what i figured would be a normal depth (another game), instead it went to 300 feet :nope:. i had 2 compartments flooding and some random damage, but i got to the surface and managed to start fixing it...that was until it kind of randomly gave me the screen of death. Real pleasent ending to a great patrol.

I seem to recall a problem like this from a long time ago. I haven't played SH4 much, it keeps crashing on my machine.

If I recall correctly, the problem is that you reach too deep a depth, and your sub starts failing. Even if you then start heading for the surface, you continue taking damage, until the whole thing goes. Sounds like the problem you have?

It's been too long, and I don't remember if this was ever fixed. Perhaps one of the patches took care of it. What version of SH4 are you running? Run a search through the archives and see if you can find something.

And they really could have done something better than the spinning death screen. I recall quite a few complaints about that when the game first came out.

Razark

SgtPotato
06-18-09, 07:53 PM
I've never have the death spinning screen, but I got the fading to black death screen when I crashed in Pearl Harbor because I forgot to return the time back to normal.

Stealhead
06-18-09, 08:11 PM
I think the complaint was about dying not how the death scene looked.

And still if you have a damaged hull the higher the damage the lower the deapth will need to be for the hull to keep losing its integrity. So Id say if are sinking and you have hull damage already it may be too late. I think many guys think of the blow ballast as an ejection seat it is not.If you have a lot of water inside the hull it takes a much longer time for the blow ballast to get you to the surface if it can. And you are at adeapth that is causing damage to your hull the odds that you will beat the ever weaking hull to get above its new ever weaker crush deapth you wont make it and irs really a mute point anyway as death shall rain upon you from every gun in range hell they will throw the galley sink.

I decided to gun down a subchaser the other day as I had the guns advantage a 5in and a 40mm fired by me vs. the subchasers deckgun(caliber?) and 25mm AA. I pumped my milk bottles at the deckgun and suppressed it well enough that they only got about 4 shells off all missing but one or two where so close the 40mm crew did the "duck'' effect before they died and then I suppressed the 25mm and the decks with 40mm sweeps while the 5 in punched holes in the hull and they still did 1 point of damage to my hull just with the 25mm rounds though somehow not a single man in my crew got so much as a scratch! First time that has ever happed for me in TMO. They had better give me a Navy Cross and several Silver Stars to award my men. But is just an example of what the damage will do if they ahd got me with one shell my patrol would have been done there because of damage.

Armistead
06-18-09, 08:19 PM

Did you check your damage percent when you reached the surface? I've died in a crash dive I couldn't pull out of, but usually once you break that point and make it to the surface you shouldn't have died. 300 ft is not that bad. I've made it to the surface with 90% damage and made it back to base.

Don't give up, it's a great game. We've all had many ruined careers. Make sure you are updated. We've all gone through crap where we died and have no clue. Nothing worse than cruising along and get the death screen, could be a mine, reef, a quirk where you don't get a contact report and bombed. I wish there was a better damage model and more details on what happened when you just die. Over time you'll learn how to deal with all these quirks, but even then....crap happens.

Stealhead
06-18-09, 08:38 PM
Well the fact that he had two compartments that where flooding and then hit dive and then let the sub get to 300ft past safety test deapth for several subs with 0% damage should tells the whole tale the extra weight that the water being taken on as well as going to a point pretty deep and not safe for long at all it most likely took the blow ballast too long to get the ship above a deapth the hull could take at the surface or at 300ft a 100% hole in your hull is going to make you sink like a stone.The power of milloins of gallons of sea water is fatal Davy Jones has you in the bag.a 100% hull rupture in a submarine is equal to a surface ship having its keel broken nothing can be done.

Just go back to the last save point or scrub the career what ever your play style is. Next time you might take alot a damage and make it that is part of the challenge of the game to me.Also the game will not tell you the new max safe deapth once any hull damage is taken it could be a few feet less than normal or it could be 50% less or worse and when you are at the weak point you will keep taking damage think of an beer can being crushed in a press once you get one bend its progessivaly weaker.And there is a point where it will go from 100% to 0% rapidly this point will change as hull damage goes up.

Armistead
06-18-09, 10:03 PM
I'm saying once surfaced, why hull damage is a factor in real life, surfaced it the game it doesn't get any worse. Now if you surface with a 100% damage it's just a matter of time. I've made it to the surface many times with several compartments flooded with 90% damage and I incurred no more damage.

Of course even after things are repaired, you can't dive so it's a matter of time anyway unless you're close to port.

Stealhead
06-18-09, 10:45 PM
Thats what I am saying from a realism standpoint the game lets you survive damage that you would not be likely to survive. Being hit by anything just 3in or larger should be very bad news and the odds of your sub being able to make it back to base very low or being rammed by another ship should result in a sinking really I mean I only know of the Grampus that got its bow bent from being rammed and they got very very lucky to have made it back to base.

True if you can get to the surface in time you'll stop taking hull damage.I think those times where it shows the "death scene" you could really say that you took the fatal damage before that happened it just adds in the time to show the thing.Really if your engines are gone and you have hull damage and such its all over.Of course like I said the best way to avoid the death scene is try your best to avoid taking the tpye of damage that will cause it. A good idea seeing as if you damage your boat really bad you might loose it or get shore duty and the carrer is done so there is a reward for avoiding damage of the serious form.

The_Phoenix
06-19-09, 11:33 AM
I do have a few mods in, i think what i'm trying to say is, why do the death screen when i'm on the surface doing pretty well. If i wasn't going to live then do the death screen after i get below a certain depth. As in, if i'm on the surface the sub starts to sink since its got "so much damage". Yes i will admit trying to out-gun a merchant was an ignorant thing to do, i was just hoping to get lucky. (i was low in torps and have natural sinking mod in) Thanks for the replys, i'll take this game more seriously now.

EDIT: PS i have 1.4

FIREWALL
06-19-09, 12:10 PM
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1868/400pxskullandcrossbones.png
DID :dead:

SteamWake
06-19-09, 12:21 PM
I do have a few mods in, i think what i'm trying to say is, why do the death screen when i'm on the surface doing pretty well. If i wasn't going to live then do the death screen after i get below a certain depth. As in, if i'm on the surface the sub starts to sink since its got "so much damage". Yes i will admit trying to out-gun a merchant was an ignorant thing to do, i was just hoping to get lucky. (i was low in torps and have natural sinking mod in) Thanks for the replys, i'll take this game more seriously now.

EDIT: PS i have 1.4

Most mods these days are tailored to 1.5. That might be an issue.

FIREWALL
06-19-09, 12:55 PM
Most mods these days are tailored to 1.5. That might be an issue.

Good catch SW. :up: I was thinking the same thing but, posted that stupid skull instead. :haha:

Stealhead
06-19-09, 01:04 PM
You really do want to avoid taking damage specialy if it is of the deckgun type. Also I will asume that you do understand that if your hull takes 100% damage that is still grounds for "dying" even if you are at the surface you could not have dived at all but if you get enough shells pumped into you youll still end up taking 100% damage being under water is not a requirment of 100% hull damage.

If you are going to take on a merchant with a deckgun you can surface in the area in which his deckgun can not traverse this will only work if he has only one deckgun though and pretty much the ship will have to be alone.