PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Needed!!

LeafsFan
11-04-07, 02:42 PM
HI,

I have a 1 year old computer, with the following specs.

Pentium D 820 2.6 GHZ
2 Gigs ram
ATI 1300 pro video card.

I am running GWX really nicely, but after installing SH4 the other day, I noticed the game set me up in Medium graphics, and even the panning with binocs is not exactly as smooth as butter. I am planning to wait for the 1.4 patch before i start seriously playing SH4 heavily.

I am wondering if my video card is holding me back ? I suspect it is ?

Is my CPU fast enough for the game ?

How high up the bleeding edge of technology ( read, how much will upgrades cost, will I have to go to get this running smoothly?

HB

Argus00
11-04-07, 04:17 PM
The minimum requirements to run SH4:
2GHz processor (Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon)
1GB of RAM
DirectX 9 video card with Pixel Shader v2.0, Vertex Shader v2.0, and 128MB of RAM
DirectX compatible sound card
about 5.5-6GB of space on your HDD.

The game options will allow you to activate or deactivate different visual aspects that can increase or decrease performance. Of course, in the minimum requirements PC you will run with most options OFF.

A recommended system:
3GHz processor
2GB of RAM
DirectX 9 video card with PS 3.0, VS 3.0 and 256MB of RAM.

THE_MASK
11-04-07, 04:31 PM
Well if this helps , i have a pentium 2.4 , 1 gig of ram and an ati x800 pro . 1024 x 768 x 74 hz resolution . All graphics settings in SH4 max but no dynamic fog . Graphics card 3d standard settings is on balanced . Outside views are 22fps in a storm . I would say upgrade your card to something better than what i have .

swdw
11-04-07, 11:08 PM
So you know, in 2005 the x1300 was considered a low mid range card for gaming in the x1--- series. So chances are good the card is holding you back.

Have you tried overclocking the card using ATi Tool or Riva Tuner? Might get more performance there.

On upgrading, Since you didn't say whether you have AGP or PCI-e here are some options:

On NVidia cards, stay away from the GS versions if you're looking for the best performance out of the card.

Highest end cards are the Ati 2900 and GeForce 8800 (8800 is best) PCI-e only

Cards you can get for under $250 consist of
PCI-e DX10GeForce 8600 GT or GTS
ATi- 2600 Pro or XT (drivers need maturing) Also understand this card runs very hot w/o a good cooler (from rage3d.com)
OC version of both cards available
DX9X1950 pro or XT- blazing fast for price
Geforce 7800 GT or better

GeForce 6800 GT or better
X1650 Xt or better
AGP DX10 ATi 2600- Again, drivers need maturing, do not rely on passive cooling
DX9 ATi 1950
ATi 1650
GeForce 7800 (I'm not sure but I think the GS version is the only AGP one- anyone know?)
GeForce 7600
Geforce 6800
All Dx9 cards listed support shader 3.0

Google these cards and look for the speed tests.

Check prices through Pricewatch.com, pricegrabber.com, nextag.com

Also, check the stores out through www.resellerratings.com (http://www.resellerratings.com). Some really low cost stores get high ratings on the pricing sites by having their employees post feedback.

Reseller ratings will give you a more honest picture- saved me a headache more than once.

On a final note- the ATi 2400 is another Dx10 card, but has not been recommended for gaming. I'm putting one of these into my old machine for HD playback to our HDTV. I can run SH4 with it and let you know how it looks. (Actually, have already run SH4 with it, but it is handicapped by the 1.3GHz processor currently in the machine, when the faster processor arrives, will give it a shot, but I can already tell you drivers are a big headache with the AGP version)

LeafsFan
11-05-07, 09:13 AM
Hi,

I should have said I had a PCI-E slot for this. I think the ATi x 1950 seems to be a good choice for me. I am a little frightened of installing a card with heat issues.

Thanks for the help!!

HB

LeafsFan
11-05-07, 09:45 PM
Of course,

I have hit a snag. My dell has a 305 watt power source. I think that about kills my hope for an upgrade.

HB

Powerthighs
11-05-07, 11:34 PM
I have an x1950 and a 300-watt power source and it works well.

Also, consider turning down your graphic options. When I initially got SHIV I had an x800 and it worked fine as long as I had most graphic options off.