PDA

View Full Version : That it! I hade it

Dimitrius07
04-19-07, 02:48 PM
I bout the game and i start to understand that it not worth the money i payed for it. You ask why? Here is the answer.
1. Cannot understand the crew managment - maybe i`am just to stupid but in sh3 it was much easyer to understand
2. Torpido does not fire for time to time for some reason
3. The crewmates look like they smoking weed non stop - something like that :o
4. Very anoying manual targeting system
5. Radar - how the hell i can turn the damn thing on.

My final opinion - wait for a proper patch or for a good modders or throw the damn disck into the toilet were it belongs.

John Channing
04-19-07, 02:50 PM
Or you could politely ask for help because everything you listed is either something you don't understand or are doing incorrectly.

Nothing you mentioned is a problem with the game.

JCC

The General
04-19-07, 02:54 PM
Hold the phone there John. I can sympathize with our friend here. Up until Patch 1.2, Sh4 was a total let down. Granted, the last patch really made it what it should've been in the first place, but there are still one or two problems. On my radar screen I've got nothin' too. Just a blank screen. No range-markings and no planes or ships. Hell, I can't even get The Late Show!

Snuffy
04-19-07, 02:55 PM
Actually with some of the flaws I've heard mentioned, (not necessarily in this thread), I find the sim more enjoyable doing the TDC on full manual.

None of this point and shoot shiite for me.

I don't pay any attention to the crew, I'm too damned busy manning my boat.

And rumor has it that if you've got a boat equipped with the radar and sonar ... it actually works.

AVGWarhawk
04-19-07, 02:59 PM
Actually with some of the flaws I've heard mentioned, (not necessarily in this thread), I find the sim more enjoyable doing the TDC on full manual.

None of this point and shoot shiite for me.

I don't pay any attention to the crew, I'm too damned busy manning my boat.

And rumor has it that if you've got a boat equipped with the radar and sonar ... it actually works.

Yeah, crew...do what you want.... just blow the whistle when you change the watch so I know someone different will be standing next to me...other than that...don't bother me.

Radar, seems ok to me.

TDC, works good for me....lots of practice and it sounds like this might be the case here to handle the ills with it.

Take two six packs, get some rest and try again in the morning:up:

Grunt
04-19-07, 03:06 PM
I remember I saw a funny comic on Penny Arcade. Gabe paid for a game, and Tycho walks in and asks him hows it going with the new game he had waited so long for.

Gabe says something like "Yeah I installed the game". Tycho then asks "Ok, so why are you starting at a blank screen?" Gabe says "Game cant be started till the first patch is released."

I can only imagine how many people are out there, wanting to play SH4, but quietly waiting till the game gets patched into playability.

Not a good business model, so lets hope ubi learns it lesson from all this.

bunkerratt
04-19-07, 03:10 PM
The crewmates look like they smoking weed non stop - something like that.......:o

always with the negative waves man...:|\\

John Channing
04-19-07, 03:15 PM
Hold the phone there John. I can sympathize with our friend here. Up until Patch 1.2, Sh4 was a total let down. Granted, the last patch really made it what it should've been in the first place, but there are still one or two problems. On my radar screen I've got nothin' too. Just a blank screen. No range-markings and no planes or ships. Hell, I can't even get The Late Show!

I guess I was taking his last statement in the context of the rest of the "flaws" he found in the game. To wit...

- If you think that the fact you can't understand how the crew management system works is a flaw in the game

- If you can't get torpedos to fire when there has been absolutely no reports of this from day one

- If you think the way the crew looks is a game flaw

- If you think the most accurate representation of an American TDC ever in a simulation is a game flaw because you find it annoying

Then I am going to have to think that your radar problem might just be something else.

But at least we have another thread for people to jump in and air their grievances, real or imagined. And you just can't have enough of those!

JCC

joea
04-19-07, 03:19 PM
I think he might have meant torpedoes don't explode, well maybe they were dud torpedoes?

I hope the OP answers and clarifies a bit.

SteamWake
04-19-07, 03:28 PM
As was pointed out all issues stated are lack of understanding not game issues.

Its like as if I said "I hate my toilet because it wont flush twice in a row". Oh I have to wait for the tank to fill again :hmm:

Igloodude
04-19-07, 03:58 PM
For every end, there's a beginning - so, I'll take his place on the conning tower. :D

Just got the game a week ago, then fixed/upgraded my PC (heating problem thwacked it), and applied 1.2 and I've gone through the first and second training missions. :arrgh!:

Dimitrius07
04-19-07, 03:58 PM
Sorry about the toilet thing (i sad that cause a ave been agry) but realy the game have a nice ligtings effects and grafics, but thise bugs, damn!!! I mean i realy don`t understand why when i hit the crash drive button my boat don`t even move - so all i can do is quckly set speed to flank and hit the d button (i`am not a complite noob affter all).

Egan
04-19-07, 04:06 PM
Maybe there should be a sticky about the Radar stations not being functional on boats that have not yet had the SJ system fitted? I've seen about twenty references to this being a bug in the last two days alone when it is not.

Drokkon
04-19-07, 04:09 PM
SH1 TDC was more acurate since it actually worked. I find the radar very annoying also. Is the radar contact closing or is it just passing by out of range? How come every plane spots me and drops her bombs on me? Not sure what his problems with the crew is, maybe it's the way the deck crew keep getting hurt at their station under water.

I'm waiting on the next patch. I'm not sure how many remember but SH1 simulated a round world great. The first thing you saw of a enemy ship was her mast. You could identify a yamato or kongo class bb before they fully rose up on the horizen.

JSF
04-19-07, 04:20 PM
I feel this guy's pain.....This is the hardest game I play and have probably played. Besides having a steep learning curve....let's face it...the game is buggy. And, there's no denying that.

Think about real life when torpedos went-off almost in your hands.....solution=deactivate manetic influence device...Did it work...Not quite.....Torpedos still buggy.....hmmm....kinda like....:hmm: ...let me think.....OH yeah....THIS GAME!!!...:damn:

Dimitrius07...Digesting the information needed to play this game is like drinking from a fire hose.....

Who knows...maybe the ghosts of Bureau Ordnance resides in some dev team members...... :P

Dimitrius07
04-19-07, 04:39 PM
I think i know what will be my first mod (if its not done by someone else allready) The manual book does not have all the nesesery data for the ship, i think i can fix that - not hard realy:D

joea
04-19-07, 04:43 PM
SH1 TDC was more acurate since it actually worked. I find the radar very annoying also. Is the radar contact closing or is it just passing by out of range?

Radar is bad but most say the TDC is not only working (with 1.2 the PK bug was fixed) but a bang on simulation of the USN TDC.

Drokkon
04-19-07, 04:51 PM
Chonometer still doesn't simulate the navigator giving you the speed of the contact from your marks. I know you can do it yourself , but I want to be the Capt feeding info, not the navigator crunching the figures. Remember this is not a magic button since my readings need to be acurate to get a proper speed reading.

sqk7744
04-19-07, 04:55 PM
Not the best way to start a thread, but a good one for consideration of the "Littly Billy" award.
http://www.compuglobalhypermeganet.tv/images/sh4/littlebilly.jpg
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=112293

If I were not looking for a fun simulation with a learning curve, I'd still be playing Minesweeper. Oh look, it even has Games!

Start --> All programs --> Games

I understand and sympathize with the postings, but thankfully SH4 is open source (to a point) and we have wonderful modders!!! It could be a read-only console disc...

Just my two cents (and yes, I have change coming) :lol:

ReallyDedPoet
04-19-07, 04:55 PM
Just got the game a week ago, then fixed/upgraded my PC (heating problem thwacked it), and applied 1.2 and I've gone through the first and second training missions. :arrgh!:

Welcome, be patient with it, ask questions:yep:, it will grow on you:up:

Remember: the glass is half-full, as it was with stock SH3:yep:

RDP

9th_cow
04-19-07, 05:22 PM
I think a lot of ppl are trying to use the radar during early years when only "air search" radar is on the boat.

if you try a late war ship, then you will see the radar working.
there is not ( to my knowledge) any display for the air search radar. but only the late war ground radar.

sqk7744
04-19-07, 05:25 PM
I think a lot of ppl are trying to use the radar during early years when only "air search" radar is on the boat.

there is not ( to my knowledge) any display for the air search radar. but only the late war ground radar.

Right, and with 1.2 patch ASR no longer detects ships.

John Channing
04-19-07, 05:39 PM
SH1 TDC was more acurate since it actually worked.

Actually I think you may be remembering things that may not have been.

The TDC in SH1 was certainly functional, but so is the one in SH4:WOTP. In SH1 the entire process of launching a torpedo was only possible with help from the game.

From the Manual (page 32)

"Determining range without the automatic setting will only be possible on boats equiped with Radar"

and from page 33

"Speed is the most difficult to estimate" They go on to suggest that you can use the Ship ID book to enter the max speed and then guess. Finally.... "If all else fails target course and speed can be easily determined by switching the TDC from Manual to Automatic while the target is in view"

Don't get me wrong... SH1 was ground breaking for it's time, but you cannot compare the ability that SH4: WOTP offers to calculate a manual solution to that of SH1. The technology simply wasn't there at the time.

JCC

raymond6751
04-19-07, 05:40 PM

RDP

The game will never grow on anybody unless modded. All credit goes to those guys who save Ubi butt time after time by making a sick game workable.:damn:

Steeltrap
04-19-07, 05:54 PM

I guess I was taking his last statement in the context of the rest of the "flaws" he found in the game. To wit...

- If you think that the fact you can't understand how the crew management system works is a flaw in the game

- If you can't get torpedos to fire when there has been absolutely no reports of this from day one

- If you think the most accurate representation of an American TDC ever in a simulation is a game flaw because you find it annoying

Then I am going to have to think that your radar problem might just be something else.

But at least we have another thread for people to jump in and air their grievances, real or imagined. And you just can't have enough of those!

JCC

JCC, with all due respect....

1. There are reports from people saying they cannot get torps to launch but that it's random. (my only suggestion is either a bug or a problem with the efficiency of the compartment at the time)

2. There do appear to be issues with radar. People are reporting their SJ doesn't work in certain directions. Others are posting that they seem to be getting updates - and coloured red or blue - on their map screen within about 20nm even though they have only SD and map contacts "off". (I have experienced this first hand)

3. There are also reports of people not being able to use "P" and "C" keyboard commands as they have the effect of setting the telegraph to "all stop" and the boat doesn't dive.

So it's not as though these comments are without justification. Sure, we've all read the many 'complaint' threads, and I'm "guilty" of posting one myself, but perhaps a little sympathy is called for when some of these comments are in fact correct.....

Just a thought. Not looking for an express pass to the brig!

Cheers

sunvalleyslim
04-19-07, 05:55 PM

RDP
The game will never grow on anybody unless modded. All credit goes to those guys who save Ubi butt time after time by making a sick game workable.:damn:

Aw come Raymond, have a heart........:D :D

John Channing
04-19-07, 07:14 PM

JCC

JCC, with all due respect....

1. There are reports from people saying they cannot get torps to launch but that it's random. (my only suggestion is either a bug or a problem with the efficiency of the compartment at the time)

2. There do appear to be issues with radar. People are reporting their SJ doesn't work in certain directions. Others are posting that they seem to be getting updates - and coloured red or blue - on their map screen within about 20nm even though they have only SD and map contacts "off". (I have experienced this first hand)

3. There are also reports of people not being able to use "P" and "C" keyboard commands as they have the effect of setting the telegraph to "all stop" and the boat doesn't dive.

So it's not as though these comments are without justification. Sure, we've all read the many 'complaint' threads, and I'm "guilty" of posting one myself, but perhaps a little sympathy is called for when some of these comments are in fact correct.....

Just a thought. Not looking for an express pass to the brig!

Cheers

Why on earth would you think that anyone, let alone a softie like me , would send you to the brig for a mature, reasoned, adult response?

The problem is that we are now at the point of this games life cycle when sorting out bugs in the program will be almost impossible. People have so many mods installed that some of them don't even remember that they do.

I have seen three threads today where the old "NEW BUG FOUND" thing raised it's head, the OP swore over and over that they did not have ANY mods installed, someone comes up with a fix that involves removing a particular mod, and shut my mouth wiiiiiiide open.... it turns out the OP did have a mod or two (or 20) installed!

Believe me I have spent a greaaaaaaaat deal of time working on this program compliling bug reports, sifting through all of the less than useful posts looking for the few that actually have value if you are trying to get this thing sorted out and, up until recently, key commands were never a problem. But now we have a mod that changes the key commands, ported over from SH3 I believe, and all of a sudden... wait for it... key command problems. This could also account for the torp problem.

That is one of the reasons that I refuse to install any mods on my system. It is the only way to be absolutely sure you are dealing with a program fault, and not a conflict caused by a mod.

The thing that drives me up a wall is when people just pop in, complain about how buggy it is, don't give any details, no list of mods installed no nuthin' helpful, and then just pop out. Within a few minutes all of the "YEAH!!!1111 THIS GAME IS TEH SUXOR" crowd shows up, and it becomes almost impossible to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

These types are not being helpful or useful.... hell, they aren't even original. All they are is noise.

JCC

SteamWake
04-19-07, 08:46 PM
Ya know... I couldent help but pick out from between the noise the OP had come back around.

I think i know what will be my first mod

Yet yall managed to bury it... shame

Reece
04-19-07, 08:49 PM
Oh no ..... stock SHIII was nowhere near as buggy as this!:nope: and how this game passed the Alpha stage even is beyond me! I have shelved it and waiting for the last patch to, hopefully, fix the critical bugs, once this is done I can dust off the box & install it, the modders will then make the game to what is should have been.:up:
@ moderators, you can't blame the frustrations of a lot of people, some people have shorter fuses than others, some $100 is nothing, but to the poor it's a big deal! so please have a little patience with those who "do their blocks", and this - :damn:.

Subsim Monitor
04-19-07, 08:56 PM
The thing that drives me up a wall is when people just pop in, complain about how buggy it is, don't give any details, no list of mods installed no nuthin' helpful, and then just pop out. Within a few minutes all of the "YEAH!!!1111 THIS GAME IS TEH SUXOR" crowd shows up, and it becomes almost impossible to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

These types are not being helpful or useful.... hell, they aren't even original. All they are is noise.

JCC

Agreed :yep:

In addition, the purpose and the reason this forum exists is to support subsim players and developers. That's our rule #1, and excessive and immature whining and ranting is not permitted. I know, most people are used to forum discussions where people try to top each other with rude and idiotic statements, but this is not one of those places. Some of the people who post here have been here a long time. We've seen great subsims and we've seen mediocre ones, but the tone of this forum stays the same. People who want to vent and rant can take it somewhere else. If someone is not interested in SH4, they need to find a game they like, play it, and post in whatever forum that centers on it.

Neal

Grunt
04-19-07, 08:57 PM
Reece, you have spoken truly and well, therefore you can expect to get threatening PM's from the admins as well as screaming accusations that you are a nagging troll from forum apologists.

Dont worry, none of that makes what you say any less accurate. :up:

Subsim Monitor
04-19-07, 08:59 PM
Oh no ..... stock SHIII was nowhere near as buggy as this!:nope: and how this game passed the Alpha stage even is beyond me! I have shelved it and waiting for the last patch to, hopefully, fix the critical bugs, once this is done I can dust off the box & install it, the modders will then make the game to what is should have been.:up:
@ moderators, you can't blame the frustrations of a lot of people, some people have shorter fuses than others, some $100 is nothing, but to the poor it's a big deal! so please have a little patience with those who "do their blocks", and this - :damn:.

I agree, SH3 was more polished and much more complete; but I do recall a lot of people screaming about what a "buggy mess" SH3 was.... some people will complain no matter what.

I'm not blaming the frustrations of people, but short fuses usually lead to an early departure.

Neal

Reece
04-19-07, 09:32 PM
Thanks Neal. what happened to your avator?:D

ReallyDedPoet
04-19-07, 09:45 PM
I agree, SH3 was more polished and much more complete; but I do recall a lot of people screaming about what a "buggy mess" SH3 was.... some people will complain no matter what.

I'm not blaming the frustrations of people, but short fuses usually lead to an early departure.

Neal
Found some of this in the " archives ", found good stuff too:yep:, similar in ways to what is going on now.

Just think it is to early to give up on it, way to early:yep: SH3 was strides ahead of Stock SH2, this is what SH4 is competing against, it is not strides ahead of SH3, but will be it's own game in time.

RDP

-Pv-
04-19-07, 09:45 PM
"...The thing that drives me up a wall is when people just pop in, complain about how buggy it is..."

Agreed. I see too much incoherant swearing up and down that the world has ended when they have modded the game up the tailpipe and have incompatable hardware specs and infected/corrupted OS, out of HD space, bad drivers, etc.

SH4 is a bigger game than SH3 and visually, hardware-wise so much more demanding. The ranting-complaining by people who are not interested in finding out how to fix their obscure problem, only to try and make other people feel as miserable as they do is getting hard to take. I never added as much as one mod to SH3 and played it for years that way. I've only made modest mods to SH4 as a few practical and tested solutions came out. I waited for 10 years for this game and the devs listened and gave us one and by golly, they are still putting out code based on listening to us. I'm going to play and love this game to death and no one can spoil it for me no matter how hard they try.

Thanks Neal for the vast services you provide here.
-Pv-

swash
04-19-07, 09:58 PM
UBI is the only company offering a sub sim in the pacific at the moment:rock:

Bugs or no bugs, just like the faulty torpedoes that were REAL in 1942, the captains then and the virtual captains now will find ways to forge ahead.

A little green guy summed it up the best:

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Subsim Monitor
04-19-07, 11:12 PM
Thanks Neal. what happened to your avator?:D

One of the moderators took it away from me for not posting enough :)

sunvalleyslim
04-20-07, 12:10 AM
Neal,
You said it best. Some people are gonna beat this up. There have been people with problems of their own. And some will be Ubisofts. The bottom line is things will work itself out. Either through mods by modders or patches by Ubisoft. Nothing in this world has ever been perfect. Because as humans we will never be perfect. Give things a chance. Nothing has ever been built in a day. Read my signature, and ask yourself who's the failure........................

Snowman999
04-20-07, 12:30 AM

There is a display scope, with buttons and controls and a toolbar button to access it. It just doesn't show a display.

Tobus
04-20-07, 01:59 AM
I remember I saw a funny comic on Penny Arcade. Gabe paid for a game, and Tycho walks in and asks him hows it going with the new game he had waited so long for.

Gabe says something like "Yeah I installed the game". Tycho then asks "Ok, so why are you starting at a blank screen?" Gabe says "Game cant be started till the first patch is released."

I can only imagine how many people are out there, wanting to play SH4, but quietly waiting till the game gets patched into playability.

Not a good business model, so lets hope ubi learns it lesson from all this.
HearHear!

I'm getting more aggravated by the minute. I really really really want to like this game, and it looks great too! But (re)playability is low, manual is a sodding shame (mentions of snorkel depth and making solutions by W/O, none of which are in SH4 but were in SH3!).

This game is just not finished, I feel I paid for a beta-release so UBI doesn't have to pay for proper testers. And it could be soooooo good, because what DOES work in this beta is fantastic to say the least.

McBeck
04-20-07, 04:00 AM

Not a good business model, so lets hope ubi learns it lesson from all this. HearHear!

I'm getting more aggravated by the minute. I really really really want to like this game, and it looks great too! But (re)playability is low, manual is a sodding shame (mentions of snorkel depth and making solutions by W/O, none of which are in SH4 but were in SH3!).

This game is just not finished, I feel I paid for a beta-release so UBI doesn't have to pay for proper testers. And it could be soooooo good, because what DOES work in this beta is fantastic to say the least.If Ubi asked you to be a beta tester, wouldnt you accept, just to get the game a bit early, even though you wouldnt be paid?

If find lots of joy in the 1.2 version. The constant laaaaaaaag of the clipboard with the radio and orders, were driving me nuts earlier. The current version runs a lot faster!

Tobus
04-20-07, 04:33 AM
If Ubi asked you to be a beta tester, wouldnt you accept, just to get the game a bit early, even though you wouldnt be paid?

If find lots of joy in the 1.2 version. The constant laaaaaaaag of the clipboard with the radio and orders, were driving me nuts earlier. The current version runs a lot faster!

If UBI askes me to be a beta tester, I would play and test the game as such, albeit for a small fee for my time invested. Now I have paid for an unfinished product of which is claimed it is a finished product. I can fully understand a patch like 1.2 in which coding is optimized for better (faster) rendering. I do, however, not understand bringing out a game which in essence is unplayble unless the players jump through hoops in certain order and stance, just so they can get a feel of accomplishment.
To me that's not enjoying a game, to me that's aggravating and insulting to me as customer/gamer.

Now I have the feeling that SH4 was released just to set the books straight and earn some money with it already, delivering a finished product or not.
In this regard I have a love/hate relationship with UBI. They generally bring out the best games (I think), but they come out with so much technical and functional bugs...

Grothesj2
04-20-07, 04:42 AM
Funny...beta testers for online games dont get paid. If they opened it for beta to the pubic, no one should expect paid compensation.

Tobus
04-20-07, 04:51 AM
Funny...beta testers for online games dont get paid. If they opened it for beta to the pubic, no one should expect paid compensation.
I regard personal contact to be betatester and opening beta to the public a very large difference.

No matter how you look at it, releasing a game as complete to the customer that is not complete nor functioning as stated is plain bad. I also know that I can't win this discussion, since it is ME that makes the decision to buy the game ANYWAY, regardless of what bad stories I already read on the net.

As said, I have/had that with almost every UBI-game I own:
Far Cry, SH3, Splinter Cell DA and now SH4. All coming out flawed, but each having become great games after numerous patches (except SC: DA and SH4 till now) and modding by the loving community.

Uber Gruber
04-20-07, 06:10 AM
In fairness, it does cast an ugly light on these forums when loads of people moan about SHIV, but I can also fully understand why they are moaning.

I think everyone would agree that it was released too early and still has an unacceptable number of bugs a month later.

In UBI's defence, they have released two patches in that time and will most probably release one, maybe two, more to address some of the remaining issues.

I would ask then that posters refrain from venting their frustration with SHIV but please do post the problems and issues you are having with as much detail as possible such that others can try to reproduce the problem.

I would also ask the forum moderators to be a little more understanding, I accept most of you have heard all this "noise" before but a lot of new people are finding their way to these forums and they will naturally need time to adapt to this forum's maturity. Lets not scare them away too soon...because the bigger the subsim community becomes the greater the chance of sub sim games being developed for us.

And finally, I would ask UBI to refine their game production processes as no one should have to suffer a product with as many flaws as SHIV had when it was released. Its was actually quite scandalous.

Right, i'm off to pub, anyone for a pint ?

CaptainAsh
04-20-07, 10:58 AM
Actualy it s not that easy...

First, marketing release date are not the same as dev release date. Some time everything is ready to release except the soft. Well... you have to release it anyway, hoping to patch (or "service pack" it as some cie call it ;) ) it as fast as possible.
Next, it s really easy to test software for crash behavior but it s a lot more difficult to test software for the "should do that in a different way". That s why we have beta tester. Game engineering has become something really hard actually. 10 years ago you had choice between open format with generic mission (boring as hell after 2 days) and close format with a path you followed from first minute to the last (boring to replay the game once finished). In both mode it was much easyer to test because generic situations were always the same and you just had to do the game from start to end to successfuly test close format. Today we have an intelligent open format, each game are different from the other ones on some aspect, it would require so many tester that it doesn t give us any alternative : open beta testing.
For any online game it s a good idea. For any "play alone on your computer" game it s a commercial succide as to do the proccess to the end you will have your fan base with a free beta version with all the function of the commercial version (as they must test them). Result? commercial failure...

Actualy I hate the way UBI is doing this. But I understand them and I can give same another way to do what must be done...

oh... I didn t bought SHIV... still playing with SHIII, waiting for the game to be "mature" and to see if the fan base is still willing to mod it.

clayman
04-20-07, 12:14 PM
I can understand that some may get frustrated ... but as mentioned earlier it is the only 'pacific' sub sim out and for me at least that makes a big difference. Ya UBI like many over the last 6 years have blatantly released unfinished work. This seems to be something that is here to stay I'm afraid.

On the other hand as with SH3, Far Cry and IL2 and even more so with SH4 there have been an incredibly fast release of mods and patches which makes up for much of UBI's lack of forethought.

So for me, bugs and all, I find I'm really enjoying SH4 now ... that or maybe I'm just hanging out with the crew too much?!?!!! :|\\

Thanks Dimitrius ... #3 broke the monotony of my workday! :rotfl:

Iceman
04-20-07, 12:22 PM
The crewmates look like they smoking weed non stop - something like that.......:o

LMAO...:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
http://photos4.flickr.com/4903217_8a7b46daaa_m.jpg

AVGWarhawk
04-20-07, 12:37 PM

Neal
Found some of this in the " archives ", found good stuff too:yep:, similar in ways to what is going on now.

Just think it is to early to give up on it, way to early:yep: SH3 was strides ahead of Stock SH2, this is what SH4 is competing against, it is not strides ahead of SH3, but will be it's own game in time.

RDP
You know, reading your post made me remember SH2. I thought it was a nice game. Always crashed on my second mission. I never really got into SH2. It was swell but I was no computer whiz to figure out CTD and forums were just some other planet thing to me. Once SH3 came out, I grabbed the game and loaded it up. WOW....the graphics for the time were outstanding. I loaded up SH2 again for want of the Pacific and the graphics were just:down: comparied to SH3. SH2 found the shelf and has not moved since. I played SH3 with the bugs and it was enjoyable but did not seem to get anywhere. 3 months and it is on the same shelf with SH2. 2 years later I decide to load up SH3 to play, found GWX and :o, the whole SH3 game had come to life with a soul. Currently SH4 is a bit buggy compaired to SH3 but the graphics are better in 4. We are ahead of the game with missions(all be it some repeat), no more patrolling a square for 24 hours. SH4 is a baby in the woods at the moment. This game will soon have a life and soul just like SH3.

I'm just astonished at all the CTD. I'm also feeling we are not getting the full story on the CTD. On resent post the poster finally admitted using a crack instead of the disc to start the game:roll:. They wonder why no buttons work and crew are flat with alien eyes. We all know bucking the system usually does not work. I'm like most people, the game should load and run like a champ. When it does not...it is the developers that did this to my computer. Oh well, I'm just rambling for not good reason. Thanks for listening;)

ReallyDedPoet
04-20-07, 12:51 PM
I'm just astonished at all the CTD. I'm also feeling we are not getting the full story on the CTD. On resent post the poster finally admitted using a crack instead of the disc to start the game:roll:. They wonder why no buttons work and crew are flat with alien eyes. We all know bucking the system usually does not work. I'm like most people, the game should load and run like a champ. When it does not...it is the developers that did this to my computer. Oh well, I'm just rambling for not good reason. Thanks for listening;)

All good points AVG, well said. There have been a couple of times I wanted to post:yep: when I thought I had a bug, but I was the bug:nope: by not taking the time to understand and learn the game first. Yes there are bugs, but my glass is still half full with this game, I am just having to much fun with it.

Plus at the end of the day it is just a game, at the end of the day I have bigger things to worry about in the so called real-world :up:

By the way I played last night without the fog, got close to 20fps extra:up:, didn't think it would be that much.

RDP

AVGWarhawk
04-20-07, 01:03 PM
My glass is definitly half full concerning the game. My other glass is getting over full with CTD complaints with little or no discussion on how they loaded the patch, what is running in the background, what they were doing at a particular time it CTD. What really miffs me is the one with a CTD only to find after a page and a half of folks attempting to help, a crack was being used.:shifty:
So many are playing without CTD issues, buttons working, radar working but these folks with CTD quickly point the finger at the programers. Some have to realize a lot of issues with game play and CTD is sitting right in front of them with a glowing screen showing "an error has occurred, windows is shutting down".

My only CTD happened after the last patch was installed. I cleaned up the computer/defrag/internet junk and no CTD. I played 4 hours straight and no save inbetween in case of CTD. This is how confident I was that what simple house cleaning I did was the cure for CTD. Oh well, I ramble some more. Thanks for listening again;)

Drokkon
04-20-07, 01:04 PM
John Channing we will never see eye to eye on this. You want to simulate being the navigator on a sub. I want to be it's capt.

In SH1 you used the stadimeter to input range, then you inputed your position from the the enemy ships bow.After giving those two readings you would start the the stop watch which gave your navigator his first mark. When you stopped the timepiece it sent the navigator his second mark. He would calculate your targets speed. If you gave a bad reading you received a incorrect speed.

Right now SHIV is incapable of preforming this simple function.The manual says it should, but it can't. Seems to me the boys from SH1 got it right, while SHIV is still struggling with this.

heartc
04-20-07, 01:09 PM
I'm just astonished at all the CTD. I'm also feeling we are not getting the full story on the CTD. On resent post the poster finally admitted using a crack instead of the disc to start the game:roll:. They wonder why no buttons work and crew are flat with alien eyes.

I concur. I had a CTD ONCE. One single time. It happened yesterday when I put a second man into the damage control party. Dunno if this crash was just bad luck or reproducable, since I got damaged for the first time then. Note however that I'm still on version 1.0 of SHIV. Yeah, the "totally unplayable" one. ;) Never had the Stadimeter CTD or any corrupt save game files btw.

AVGWarhawk
04-20-07, 01:14 PM
I'm just astonished at all the CTD. I'm also feeling we are not getting the full story on the CTD. On resent post the poster finally admitted using a crack instead of the disc to start the game:roll:. They wonder why no buttons work and crew are flat with alien eyes.
I concur. I had a CTD ONCE. One single time. It happened yesterday when I put a second man into the damage control party. Dunno if this crash was just bad luck or reproducable, since I got damaged for the first time then. Note however that I'm still on version 1.0 of SHIV. Yeah, the "totally unplayable" one. ;) Never had the Stadimeter CTD or any corrupt save game files btw.
I was fine with 1.1 myself. I just wanted the EE fog removed so I could run the game with the clear water. That is all. I got it so I'm just that much better off. I got one stadi crash a long time ago, before the first patch. None since. These I feel are just a bad luck crash. The only repeatable CTD I could muster was hitting the "A" key. Now this is gone in 1.2 so I win again. My glass is getting fuller....I'm might need to add my scotch to it now!

ReallyDedPoet
04-20-07, 01:16 PM
My only CTD happened after the last patch was installed.

Glad to listen:up:. I think I have had 2 :roll: so far (CTD), one being the infamous " a " key, the other I am not sure. Yes the folks using a crack, then coming here for help:nope:

RDP

heartc
04-20-07, 01:18 PM
John Channing we will never see eye to eye on this. You want to simulate being the navigator on a sub. I want to be it's capt.

In SH1 you used the stadimeter to input range, then you inputed your position from the the enemy ships bow.After giving those two readings you would start the the stop watch which gave your navigator his first mark. When you stopped the timepiece it sent the navigator his second mark. He would calculate your targets speed. If you gave a bad reading you received a incorrect speed.

Right now SHIV is incapable of preforming this simple function.The manual says it should, but it can't. Seems to me the boys from SH1 got it right, while SHIV is still struggling with this.

Ehm, I see your point on Capt vs. Fire Control party with regards to obtaining speed, but it definitely didn't work like that in SHI. What you describe sounds like SHIII though. There was not even a stadimeter or a stopwatch in SHI (when I say the TDC in SHI was somewhat more detailed/realistic than in SHIV, I really *do* mean the functioning and readouts of theTDC itself, not the data gathering process, especially as far as range is concerned).

You had two choices there for the TDC: Auto or Manual. Auto was just point and shoot, much like in AOD. When on manual, you had to figure out and enter all the data by yourself or could move the mouse cursor over the ship in question on the "God's Eye" map, which would then show you data guesstimates, whether on Auto or Manual. Collecting all the data yourself w/o checking the map was even harder than in SHIV. However, range estimates were still possible w/o stadimeter by reading the angle increments on the crosshair against the masthead height. (D = mastheadheight / sine alpha). Bad thing was masthead height was not provided in game, but someone from the community back then produced a data sheet for all ships. Also another one made a combined ruler tool for print out where you could readout the range for a given masthead height coupled with the increments on the crosshair. There were some *really* dedicated chaps around back then. ;)

Snowman999
04-20-07, 01:23 PM
My only CTD happened after the last patch was installed. I cleaned up the computer/defrag/internet junk and no CTD. I played 4 hours straight and no save inbetween in case of CTD. This is how confident I was that what simple house cleaning I did was the cure for CTD. Oh well, I ramble some more. Thanks for listening again

Your points are good ones, but I also think it's not that useful when the moderators' first response is "Well, I'm not getting any CTDs and my radar works."

I have NO mods installed. I installed 1.2 over 1.1, as the devs' notes indicated I should. I have a vanilla Dell with a supported video card, 2 gigs of RAM. I've defragged. I have no other software running. I have March 2007 video drivers.

Yet my SD radar will not operate. I get framerate crashes in the middle of patrols and floating mouse cursors. I get fog inside Control if fog is on. Etc.

Some of the problems people are reporting ARE due to mods, and to misunderstanding game operation, and to poorly maintained PCs. But there ARE also problems with the game. It seems more sensitive to individual rigs than any game I've seen in the XP-era.

Telling someone who is frustrated and looking for help that you personally don't have the problem isn't helpful.

That said, I too have zero patience with somebody coming here looking for help who is playing a cracked game.

Antrodemus
04-20-07, 01:24 PM
Heartc,

Agreed... of all the myriad bugs we're all aware of, the one thing I've never encountered, is a CTD. Not one, in almost 2 months of play.

Snowman999
04-20-07, 01:24 PM

How many people under 30-YO get this joke?

Drokkon
04-20-07, 01:26 PM
My version of the game had where you used the mouse to mark the highest point of the ship just like the stadimeter. My version diffinetly had a stop watch cause the manual says that the longer you let the time go the better the reading. The manual suggested 55 seconds.

In Silent service there were none of these things but SH1 had them.

AVGWarhawk
04-20-07, 01:33 PM
My only CTD happened after the last patch was installed. I cleaned up the computer/defrag/internet junk and no CTD. I played 4 hours straight and no save inbetween in case of CTD. This is how confident I was that what simple house cleaning I did was the cure for CTD. Oh well, I ramble some more. Thanks for listening again

Your points are good ones, but I also think it's not that useful when the moderators' first response is "Well, I'm not getting any CTDs and my radar works."

I have NO mods installed. I installed 1.2 over 1.1, as the devs' notes indicated I should. I have a vanilla Dell with a supported video card, 2 gigs of RAM. I've defragged. I have no other software running. I have March 2007 video drivers.

Yet my SD radar will not operate. I get framerate crashes in the middle of patrols and floating mouse cursors. I get fog inside Control if fog is on. Etc.

Some of the problems people are reporting ARE due to mods, and to misunderstanding game operation, and to poorly maintained PCs. But there ARE also problems with the game. It seems more sensitive to individual rigs than any game I've seen in the XP-era.

Telling someone who is frustrated and looking for help that you personally don't have the problem isn't helpful.

That said, I too have zero patience with somebody coming here looking for help who is playing a cracked game.

I believe John was just attempting to say that putting up a rant without any further info to help does no good for anyone.

Sure, some mods are causing CTD but some of these poster with CTD fail to mention the mods or did not clean out the mods or have some wayward file of mod hanging about. Remember how finicky SH3 was when attempting a reinstall? That old folder in MY DOCUMENTS that was never deleted cause many to start drinking.

Some rigs are sensative to this game, no doubt, Stabiz is having issues. If there was anyone I want to have this game running great, Stabiz is the one. But, Stabiz is looking at his rig because he know others with the same rig are running the game fine. He has not posted a rant. He has laid his cards on the table and is asking for help. I hope he finds it.

I'm with you on the crack.

heartc
04-20-07, 01:34 PM
My version of the game had where you used the mouse to mark the highest point of the ship just like the stadimeter. My version diffinetly had a stop watch cause the manual says that the longer you let the time go the better the reading. The manual suggested 55 seconds.

In Silent service there were none of these things but SH1 had them.

I'm sorry, but NO WAY. I have the SHICE which should be the latest version of the game. I've never seen anything like that in game nor any other references towards this other than yours now. You really got me confused now.

Antrodemus
04-20-07, 01:37 PM
That old folder in MY DOCUMENTS that was never deleted cause many to start drinking.

So that's what caused it!

/phones booze counsellor.

;)

AVGWarhawk
04-20-07, 01:43 PM
That old folder in MY DOCUMENTS that was never deleted cause many to start drinking.
So that's what caused it!

/phones booze counsellor.

;)

:yep::roll:

KING111
04-20-07, 01:58 PM
Will here’s my 2p worth
When I got the game from Amazon I thought great now I can sink some japs.
But it did not take me long to find the bugs.
So then came patch 1.1 and for me the game was still unplayable.
Then game patch 1.2 and it got better now I can play it just about?
But then looking around on here I found GWX and thought what that?
So I downloaded it installed it with the tools and dials.
Now you can stuff SH4 for the next 6 months I am playing SH3 with GWX

ReallyDedPoet
04-20-07, 02:00 PM
Now you can stuff SH4 for the next 6 months I am playing SH3 with GWX

That's your choice:yep:. Although SH3 with GWX is on my computer and I will continue to play it, I am playing SH4 more, so I won't be stuffing it anytime soon.

RDP

Drokkon
04-20-07, 02:07 PM
Heartc you clicked your mouse on the lines on the crosshairs that gave you the range. The stopwatch was my own I used to lock on the the target then start it.I think they suggested 55 secs and again for about 35 sec before firing. I was in error there I forgot I searched the stores till I found one.

Or maybe all I did was count the amount of lines to determine the range. I know it was fairly easy to get acurate range settings. The lock on button simulated the stopwatch. I used a real one on my desk so I wouldn't make things faster. Range never was a issue with me. I had just gotten out of the navy a little before this game was released. I played both Aces and this game at the hardest setting straight out of the box with no issues.

Snowman999
04-20-07, 02:11 PM
I believe John was just attempting to say that putting up a rant without any further info to help does no good for anyone.

We agree on this. Perhaps Neal should make it a rule that anybody reporting a crash or other show-stopper should list mods installed.

Remember how finicky SH3 was when attempting a reinstall? That old folder in MY DOCUMENTS that was never deleted cause many to start drinking.

True. But that's also a failure of design and coding. Most folks here are orders of magnitude more PC-literate than the casual gamers Ubi alledgedly is after. XP games from other publishers are turn-key. I remember QEMM and spending all day Saturday messing with batch files to load custom config.sys files, but today's gamer just won't do that. And doesn't know how.

I wonder if the Romania guys have a very limited PC inventory and if they designed for an nVidia enviro or something. I play lots of games in multiple genres, some graphically intense, others algorithm intense, and I don't see forums reporting this range of response to the same inputs on the same missions. I'm no programmer (courses but no real world experience), but I've seen it done by other houses. I just wonder if they're resource-starved in Romania (not time, but hardware.)

John Channing
04-20-07, 02:20 PM
Heartc you clicked your mouse on the lines on the crosshairs that gave you the range. The stopwatch was my own I used to lock on the the target then start it.I think they suggested 55 secs and again for about 35 sec before firing. I was in error there I forgot I searched the stores till I found one.

It's not a question of agreeing or disagreeing. I'm not working from memory here, I am sitting here with the friggin' manual for Silent Hunter in my lap!

Again (and these are direct quotes from the manual)...

From the Silent Hunter Manual (page 32)

"Determining range without the automatic setting will only be possible on boats equiped with Radar"

and from page 33

"Speed is the most difficult to estimate" They go on to suggest that you can use the Ship ID book to enter the max speed and then guess. Finally.... "If all else fails target course and speed can be easily determined by switching the TDC from Manual to Automatic while the target is in view"

Again... no stadimeter, no stopwatch, no nuthin'!

Did I mention that this is from the Silent Hunter Manual?

JCC

heartc
04-20-07, 02:23 PM
Heartc you clicked your mouse on the lines on the crosshairs that gave you the range.
Hell, I just fired it up in Dosbox again, and I'll be damned if I could produce anything like that. How would that work anyway? The lines on the crosshair are not enough, you would also need to enter the masthead height somehow for that to work. How did you enter and determine that for the TDC? You could not ID the ship for the TDC, and the TDC didn't even "know" whether or not it was looking at a ship when on manual. And at what power setting did you do that? 1x, 2x, 4x or 8x? I'll be damned if there was anything like that in the game. I produced an avi video a few minutes ago from in game. Problem is there's something wrong with the codec, which I will need to figure out first.

I mean no offense btw, it just feels like you told me this is the Truman Show, there are little green men on Mars and Elvis lives around next door all at the same time ;)

04-20-07, 02:26 PM
Also, I think people come here angry at their game/computer and dont have a listening wall to bounce off their frustrations. It's ok to get pissed, just be mindful of others.
Anyway, :|\\
joe cool

heartc
04-20-07, 02:27 PM
Oh thanks John. I was about to jump out the window, especially since there must surely be more SHI players around who didn't see anything like that either I thought. Now maybe I can forget about that avi vid. And the window. ;)

Iceman
04-20-07, 02:27 PM

Again with the negative waves so early in the morning...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beAQVm1j56w for all the Beautiful people baby. :)

John Channing
04-20-07, 02:30 PM
You didn't.

It wasn't.

You aren't.

JCC

Ps These are the answers to the following questions...

Would you click on the Periscope to get range?

Was this how the Stadimeter was represented in the game?

Am I crazy?

John Channing
04-20-07, 02:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beAQVm1j56w for all the Beautiful people baby. :)

"Three reverse gears and one forward. That way you can get out of trouble three times as fast as you got in it!"

JCC
Not under 30

Snowman999
04-20-07, 02:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beAQVm1j56w for all the Beautiful people baby.

WWII's "Kelly's Heros" hippie reminds me of all the Korean War vets who didn't get M*A*S*H (which was really about Vietnam.)

clayman
04-20-07, 02:59 PM

"Three reverse gears and one forward. That way you can get out of trouble three times as fast as you got in it!"

JCC
Not under 30

Think someone can mod my gun deck gun to fire paint rounds? :rotfl:

clayman
Not under 30 either

heartc
04-20-07, 03:16 PM
Or maybe all I did was count the amount of lines to determine the range. I know it was fairly easy to get acurate range settings. The lock on button simulated the stopwatch. I used a real one on my desk so I wouldn't make things faster. Range never was a issue with me. I had just gotten out of the navy a little before this game was released. I played both Aces and this game at the hardest setting straight out of the box with no issues.

You added this part via edit, but sorry, maybe now I mean offense when I say stop smoking whatever it is you inhale. ;) There was no scope lock on button in SHI as there was in the later games, and with power settings I didn't mean time compression, but the magnification of the scope. Point is, you could only gather range manually with the scope increments when you also had the masthead heights, which you could only have when you printed out a hard copy of the table someone made back then.

Sorry, but you either have a very poor memory of the game or are just making things up as you go, but I wouldn't see why. Anyway, the game you describe never existed. :roll: At best you are confusing it with SHIII.

Drokkon
04-20-07, 03:23 PM
Hey I may be wrong about SH1. I have no problem with that. I'm just sick of hearing how the chronometer not working makes the game more realistic. You are trying to say that subs never sailed with weapons officers and navigators to give the capt the info he wanted.

Sure in SH1 I gave all the info to TDC but I remember it being very easy to do on full manual I never used auto anything and hit my targets 95% of the time. Where I cheated was always setting my torpedos to run 10 feet shallower then what was reccomended.

Like I said I'm just tired of hearing that we don't need this feature and everything is working as intended.

It says to hit the mark button or the space bar to lock the target.The scope wouldn't lock on it but the TDC did.

heartc
04-20-07, 03:36 PM
Hey I may be wrong about SH1. I have no problem with that. I'm just sick of hearing how the chronometer not working makes the game more realistic. You are trying to say that subs never sailed with weapons officers and navigators to give the capt the info he wanted.

Sure in SH1 I gave all the info to TDC but I remember it being very easy to do on full manual I never used auto anything and hit my targets 95% of the time. Where I cheated was always setting my torpedos to run 10 feet shallower then what was reccomended.

Like I said I'm just tired of hearing that we don't need this feature and everything is working as intended.

It says to hit the mark button or the space bar to lock the target.The scope wouldn't lock on it but the TDC did.

Thank you. That clarifies a lot. You made SHI look better than it in fact was which in turn makes SHIV look worse than it is. :roll:

Actually, I personally find your point about SHIV valid and could have done without the fairy tales.

P.S. You didn't lock the target via the spacebar, neither in scope nor TDC, but just entered the bearing the scope was looking at. But whatever.

Drokkon
04-20-07, 04:27 PM
Your manual must be different then mine. My manual says the mark button or spacebar. I havn't played the game since windows took away the DOS shell for DOS game not sure if it was 98 or ME. My trick to get range was if you knew a ship that was 100' high was 6 dashes tall at 6000' It would be 3000' at 12 dashes 1500' at 15 dashes. You were not spot on but it was good enough to get a solution.

I think where I was thinkig of clicking in the scope was because I would mark the dash with my mouse pointer as a reminder since it was easy to count the dashes against the horizon. I didn't have the internet back then so I never downloaded any charts to help me out.

Fat Bhoy Tim
04-20-07, 04:34 PM
Sorry about the toilet thing (i sad that cause a ave been agry) but realy the game have a nice ligtings effects and grafics, but thise bugs, damn!!! I mean i realy don`t understand why when i hit the crash drive button my boat don`t even move - so all i can do is quckly set speed to flank and hit the d button (i`am not a complite noob affter all).

You realise a crash dive takes above 60 seconds to even submerge fully?

John Channing
04-20-07, 05:57 PM
I'm just sick of hearing how the chronometer not working makes the game more realistic. You are trying to say that subs never sailed with weapons officers and navigators to give the capt the info he wanted.

I just did a word search of this entire thread and the only one who mentioned the chronometer was...

wait for it...

you!

You may be arguing with yourself!

JCC

Iron Budokan
04-20-07, 06:37 PM
I wish the chronometer would be fixed, too. Let's face it, this would be nice...seeing as how the effing manual says it's supposed to work!