PDA

View Full Version : Game resolution and Computer resolution(&Hz)

04-19-07, 01:26 PM
Does it make any difference if you have your desktop at one resolution and you play SH4 at a different resolution? Would this improve gameplay?
Also, what does the Hz mean? I'm guessing 85Hz at 1024x768 is the best? I can play at high resolutions, with great performance, but if I even look at environmental effects and the fog, my performance drops.
what does all this mean?
thanks

AVGWarhawk
04-19-07, 01:29 PM
Drop the fog man. FPS killer for me also. I can run EE now without issue. Refresh rate. I played at 60Hz and last night 75Hz (ingame set up) I notices a better screen at the faster rate. I do run both display/vidcard/game now at 75hz for all. Does it improve my game? I like to think so. I dropped the Vsync in game option. I did not need it.

ReallyDedPoet
04-19-07, 01:35 PM
Drop the fog man. FPS killer for me also. I can run EE now without issue. Refresh rate. I played at 60Hz and last night 75Hz (ingame set up) I notices a better screen at the faster rate. I do run both display/vidcard/game now at 75hz for all. Does it improve my game? I like to think so. I dropped the Vsync in game option. I did not need it.

I like the fog, it is to bad they could'nt find a balance between SH3 ( fog did not look good at all ) and SH4, a fps killer.

RDP

04-19-07, 01:37 PM
Excellent, thanks for the heads-up on the Hz.
What does Vsync do? I think it gets rid of any vertical misalignment when you move the view really fast, I think:hmm:

AVGWarhawk
04-19-07, 01:39 PM
Well, there is fog in the game that IMHO is very good. This new volumentric fog is like another layer of mist in the air. It is very nice and watching Stabiz first Yamato movie it looked sweet. Unfortunate for me it kills the FPS. So, do I spend $1600.00 for a computer to run it or do I have my kid get a spray bottle and start hitting me in the face with it?:hmm: ..... Spray bottle :yep::rotfl::rotfl:

AVGWarhawk
04-19-07, 01:41 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=112366

Look here big brother....I was wondering myself. I turned mine off. Seems I did not need it.

Excellent, thanks for the heads-up on the Hz.
What does Vsync do? I think it gets rid of any vertical misalignment when you move the view really fast, I think:hmm:

ReallyDedPoet
04-19-07, 01:47 PM
Well, there is fog in the game that IMHO is very good. This new volumentric fog is like another layer of mist in the air. It is very nice and watching Stabiz first Yamato movie it looked sweet. Unfortunate for me it kills the FPS. So, do I spend $1600.00 for a computer to run it or do I have my kid get a spray bottle and start hitting me in the face with it?:hmm: ..... Spray bottle :yep::rotfl::rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: My wife does this for me now:roll:

I'll have to check out the other fog, turn off the volumetric stuff see how it is:yep:
I agree on the 1600.00 computer, just built a new one, but held back on a few things until later. I would like a dual-core processor and a 512 video card, to much $$$:yep: for now.

Did you turn off the dev stuff ( de-bug, 2 others ) in the main.cfg file, I heard this helps fps as well.

RDP

AVGWarhawk
04-19-07, 01:50 PM
Really, there is fog in the game even with EE unchecked and the now separate fog unchecked. It was always there. This fog looks better than the SH3 fog as well. Originally I thought EE would have everything, rain, fog, wind, rough seas etc. I was wrong. EE is basically the see through water and the volumetric fog, this fog being the FPS killer.

ReallyDedPoet
04-19-07, 01:53 PM
Really, there is fog in the game even with EE unchecked and the now separate fog unchecked. It was always there. This fog looks better than the SH3 fog as well. Originally I thought EE would have everything, rain, fog, wind, rough seas etc. I was wrong. EE is basically the see through water and the volumetric fog, this fog being the FPS killer.

Great, I have everything turned on, love the transparent water, I will leave the volumetric fog unchecked try later:yep: Did you do the other thing, un-checking the dev stuff in the main.cfg file.

RDP

04-19-07, 01:53 PM
How and what dev-stuff do you turn off?

also, thanks for the Vsync info. I'm not sure what it does on my computer right now, but I'll tool around with it when I get home.

ReallyDedPoet
04-19-07, 01:56 PM
Give me a second, I will find the post I saw it in:yep:

AVGWarhawk
04-19-07, 01:58 PM
I do not use sun glare, 3d water, volumetric fog and that sun rays through the air and water option...I forget what it is called. It is a nice effect but kills my FPS.

Sliders all at full with exception of the land object/AOD whatever that is. These are at 1/2.

I use an ATI card/X1300. All that stuff is set on quality and AA X4.

AVGWarhawk
04-19-07, 02:06 PM
http://http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=112436

6th paragraph about the dev stuff, :roll: have a look, I am going to try this tonight:yep:

RDP

Link no good:oops:

ReallyDedPoet
04-19-07, 02:08 PM
I will edit, it is actually up right now, the one by Stabitz and dual-core processors:yep: There is a bunch of stuff, 6th paragraph about the developer stuff in main.cfg, there are three lines where you can set to " no "

RDP

04-19-07, 02:08 PM
yeah, link "no go."

edit... whoops you beat me to it.

edit#2: will look for it.

ReallyDedPoet
04-19-07, 02:10 PM
Yeah, noticed that, see my above post:roll: , the thread just re-appeared:lol:

04-19-07, 02:14 PM
OK, three lines set to "no." got it.
thanks!

ReallyDedPoet
04-19-07, 02:15 PM
It is worth a try to gain a few extra " fps " if it works.

capt_frank
04-19-07, 04:23 PM
thanks!

Has this been confirmed that it should be "no"? Also the issue re: "synchronized" to "yes"?

Many tanks...

ReallyDedPoet
04-19-07, 04:51 PM
thanks!
Has this been confirmed that it should be "no"? Also the issue re: "synchronized" to "yes"?

Many tanks...
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=504030&postcount=1

Kind of as you will see from the above:roll:, but there are a bunch of other things listed as well. I'm testing later, will post after that:yep:

RDP

Edit: see below

[SETTINGS]
LoadingMovie=No
VoiceCommand=No
DisableMessages=No
EventCamera=No

[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=4
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=128;1
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=8
RadioReport=8
Particles=8
PrayState=8
HunterState=32
3DRender=32
Maximum=8192

[VIDEO]
Resolution=1024,768,60,22
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=Yes
Synchronized=No
TextureResolutionHigh=Yes

[SOUND]
Music=Yes
VolumeGeneral=100
VolumeMusic=100
VolumeFx=100
VolumeSpeech=100
VolumeGeneralMute=false
VolumeMusicMute=false
VolumeFxMute=false
VolumeSpeechMute=false
Max3DSounds=32
SoundTravel=false

[PLAYER]
Name=Player
Rank=10
Experience=0.000000
Renown=500.000000
NrOff=4
Patrols=0
TorpedoesFired=0
TotalTonnage=100
SubmarineType=1
SubmarineVersion=1
SubmarineName=U-110
ConingTower=6
SubmarineEmblem=Yes
SubmarineEmblemIdx=0
NrPettyOff=11
NrSeamen=29
CurrentYear=1942
ShipsSunk=0
LastMission=data/SingleMissions/MaltaConvoy/MaltaConvoy.mis
M01=1
A01=7
A02=7
S01=4

[Ubi.Com]
GameName=SILENTHUNTER4
Version=SH4PC1.0
RememberCDKey=true

[DEVELOPING]
DevDebugEnable=Yes
DevEditEnable=Yes <---------------- these three to no:yep:
MiniDump=Yes

[Multiplayer]
GamePort=19000
ShowPlayersNames=true
ShowNamesOnTorpedos=true

Fearless
04-19-07, 05:39 PM
Well guys, my comp specs are
AMD XP 2400+
512 DDR333 RAM
nVidia GeForce 6200 256Mb Graphics
Onboard sound

As you can see, below the specs but after patch 1.2 my FPS increased by 2 - 5.

Although I've never had the opportunity of having 20-30 FPS whilst on the bridge,

I now have 15 in Control Room 30+ on the map and 10-12 on the bridge. A major improvement on my comp from the 7 FPS I had on the bridge previously. The game is running relatively smooth for my standards. Of course I cannot relate to any other comp as I've never had a major upgrade thus far.

I run at 1024x768 60Hz
Environmental and Fog the other stuff except 3D ship wakes and Normal ship maps (still haven't worked out what this does) turned off because I get clouds, rain, and fog anyway with those settings off. I have v_sync on.

I don't loose any fps when it rains and foggy and overcast.