PDA

View Full Version : [REL] Stormy Seas Sub Gun Fix

nvdrifter
03-28-07, 12:08 AM
**Released!**

Stormy Seas Sub Gun Fix v1.01 for SH4 v1.1

Changes/Fixes in 1.01:

-increased all submarine surface depths. Subs can now run on surface with decks awash.

This mod will allow your crew to use the sub deck guns and AA guns during storms. Sometimes you will be submerged when using your guns during storms. Stay warm. ;)

*please note:

I will release a Depth Charge Shake mod compatible version later.

Download here: http://hosted.filefront.com/aragorn155/

Gizzmoe
03-28-07, 01:03 AM
In the Gato and Balao folder thereīs the sim file, not the cfg.

nvdrifter
03-28-07, 01:30 AM
In the Gato and Balao folder thereīs the sim file, not the cfg.

Fixed. Thanks! :cool:

Tuddley3
03-28-07, 03:11 AM
Thank you, I was looking for Bad Weather Guns.

nvdrifter
03-28-07, 03:27 AM
Updated to v1.01

Changes/Fixes in 1.01:

-increased all submarine surface depths. Subs can now run on surface with decks awash.

Download here: http://hosted.filefront.com/aragorn155/

Gizzmoe
03-28-07, 03:55 AM
Thanks! :up: BTW, "Gar" isnīt there.

Tieg
03-28-07, 04:59 AM
Great deal...thanks. My one and only observation was that for the newbies (myself included:o ) which folders do they go into. I looked at the help file and it just says put in appropriate folder. Some peeps here probably have no idea.

Again thanks for the mod :up:

nvdrifter
03-28-07, 06:31 AM
Thanks! :up: BTW, "Gar" isnīt there.
Fixed.

Lol. Thanks Gizzmoe. And no, I'm usually not drunk when I do modding (though it may appear that way). :88)

nvdrifter
03-28-07, 06:39 AM
Great deal...thanks. My one and only observation was that for the newbies (myself included:o ) which folders do they go into. I looked at the help file and it just says put in appropriate folder. Some peeps here probably have no idea.

Again thanks for the mod :up:
Just download JSGME installer and drop the mod folder into the JSGME MODS folder. Boom, instant install.

Here's the download link: http://www.subsim.com/subsim_files/patches05/jsgme_setup.exe

Uber Gruber
03-28-07, 07:21 AM
Quick question...can the crew use the guns whatever the storm conditions ? I mean would they really be able to man the guns during storms with high waves ? Could you clarify ?

Cheers....

nvdrifter
03-28-07, 07:28 AM
Quick question...can the crew use the guns whatever the storm conditions ? I mean would they really be able to man the guns during storms with high waves ? Could you clarify ?

Cheers....

Yes, with this mod they can use guns in any weather conditions up to 15 meters per second wind speeds. I don't even know if the game models wind speeds higher than this. Sometimes the crew may go under water when a big wave passes by. This may not look realistic, but it's all about compromises.

Captain_Jack
03-28-07, 07:35 AM

Cheers....

In reality no. Unless you want your crew washed away.

There was a big debate over this with SHIII. I guess it ends up being a personal gaming choice. I for one do not believe a captain would order his deck gun crew out to the Guns in a raging, pitching storm. I have read accounts of sub skippers from the war saying the same or things to the effect, "the seas were too choppy for a surface gun action"

But it all boils down to how you want to play, or your interpretation. All and all I think it is great someone has made this mod to give players a choice.:up:

nvdrifter
03-28-07, 07:42 AM

Cheers....

In reality no. Unless you want your crew washed away.

There was a big debate over this with SHIII. I guess it ends up being a personal gaming choice. I for one do not believe a captain would order his deck gun crew out to the Guns in a raging, pitching storm. I have read accounts of sub skippers from the war saying the same or things to the effect, "the seas were too choppy for a surface gun action"

But it all boils down to how you want to play, or your interpretation. All and all I think it is great someone has made this mod to give players a choice.:up:
I agree and disagree with your post. SH3 and SH4 don't model this aspect very well. In the vanilla game, it's just too sensitive. Even with smaller waves you get the message "can't man gun... sea too rough". In my opinion, this is ridiculous. I am talking about small waves that don't even break over the main deck. The main reason I did this mod is for playability reasons. Sometimes we have to compromise some realism for playability to balance it all out.

But, I suppose I could release another, more realistic version and make a half-compromise. Say... no gun usage on anything over 10.5 meters per second wind speed. The waves would be fairly big, but not huge.

Anachronous
03-28-07, 08:06 AM
Also in SH4 the boat barely moves in a storm. The waves just role on by. Id imagine in real life the boat would be moving quite violently.

melendir
03-28-07, 08:47 AM
Great mod :)

Tieg
03-28-07, 11:17 AM
Thx a lot for feedback. Took a bit but this newbie got it right.

nvdrifter
03-28-07, 11:40 AM
Thx a lot for feedback. Took a bit but this newbie got it right.
Glad to help. Also, be careful when installing with JSGME. When installing a mod with JSGME, if you get a message saying it wants to overwrite another file with the same name... it might mean that two mods are conflicting. Be careful.

plague006
03-28-07, 11:52 AM
I haven't looked into modding anything in SH4 yet, for myself, but I use this mod in this manner; when I see the small swells that the vanilla game wouldn't allow me to deploy gunners, I smile and send the men out there, thanks to the mod, however when there are swelles that practically wash away the watch, then I opt to just not man the guns. Just because you *can* doesn't mean to *have* to.

nvdrifter
03-28-07, 12:05 PM
I haven't looked into modding anything in SH4 yet, for myself, but I use this mod in this manner; when I see the small swells that the vanilla game wouldn't allow me to deploy gunners, I smile and send the men out there, thanks to the mod, however when there are swelles that practically wash away the watch, then I opt to just not man the guns. Just because you *can* doesn't mean to *have* to.

Good for you. Self-discipline can really enhance realism. :rock:

Deep Six
03-28-07, 02:16 PM
Your link to filefront has NO files for SH4 in its directory

Just your SH3 stuff

Deep Six

Torcher
03-28-07, 05:32 PM
Yep, no SH4.

Fercyful
03-28-07, 06:34 PM
canīt find the file :-?

Gizzmoe
03-29-07, 03:13 AM
Itīs available again.

leeclose
04-18-07, 08:27 AM
NV is this mod compatible with the 1.2 patch?:hmm:

Sascha
08-25-07, 07:47 PM
The file is not available!

MRAD
10-18-09, 10:13 AM
It has been a while since I've been around (well, lurking), but I am back and about to setup SHIV, but I was wondering if there is a new version available of this mod. Perhaps there is something out there that would allow stormy weather use of a deck gun with version 1.5? Thanks for taking the time to read my message and take care!

ridgewayranger
10-18-09, 10:56 AM
Hi,
Why not just open the appropriate submarine .cfg file and alter Storm Conditions? I have all of mine set to 15 and it works fine.
RR

MRAD
10-19-09, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the tip, wouldn't that remove the rough weather though? I actually enjoy seeing the rough weather, but at times the degree to which you can't make use of the guns during a storm seems quite odd. If the weather is at its worst, then that makes perfect sense, but some of the weather I've come across when unable to make use of the deck guns just seems as if (in reality), you could make use of the gun under that circumstance. I will give the change a try though, perhaps it will be fine with that change.

Thanks again!

ridgewayranger
10-19-09, 10:16 AM
Hi MRAD,
No as far as I can tell it only stops the guns being used above the level you set. In stock it's round about 7 but I use 12 to 15 and still get conditions where guns cannot be used,
RR

MRAD
10-19-09, 12:53 PM
Thanks again, I have about half an hour to give it a try now that I am finished law school for the day, will make use of it now.

Webster
10-19-09, 01:27 PM
Perhaps there is something out there that would allow stormy weather use of a deck gun with version 1.5?

the only difference with v1.5 and v1.4 is there are extra subs so a version for 1.4 will work for 1.5 but not for the german subs since those files werent in v1.4 so they wouldnt be modded.

the simple way is to just do your own v1.5 of this mod is by following this info for editing the subs cfg files yourself.

(this is how to make the changes and how they work)

open the subs folder and open that subs cfg file to find:

[Properties]
PeriscopeDepth=14.5;meters
SnorkelDepth=15;meters
CrashDepth=40;meters
MaxDepth=61;meters
SurfaceDepth=5.257;meters
TorpLaunchMaxDepth=30;meters
StormConditions=9,0.1;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]

now this is the line you edit:

StormConditions=9,0.1;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]

this is the stock setting, to edit how the deck gun gets manned you only change the the first number in green. this is the max wind speed setting which means that winds of 9 or higher are considered storm conditions and are too rough to man the deck guns so set it as high as you feel the need to but remember that when enough water washes over or covers the deck then your crew will think you are submerging and go below decks so you are always limited by wave action and sea state even if wind isnt that high.

the second set of numbers in purple are the rain settings but i never messed with the rain settings because i never had rain issues so im not sure what need there would be for messing with that setting.

when you are done just dont forget to save your changes to the file.

MRAD
10-20-09, 05:06 AM
Thank you, that was very helpful and by the way, thanks for making all of your other mods as well. I have had a great time making use of the modifications that you have come up with, it is nice to see that someone is putting time into modding SH4, hopefully we can look forward to seeing some of your work in SH5.

Webster
10-20-09, 11:15 AM
:up: