PDA

View Full Version : Trench Class: who wants it?

WilhelmSchulz.
03-26-07, 12:10 AM
I think since they added the Gar wich only 6 where built they could make thrench class.

TriskettheKid
03-26-07, 12:30 AM
You mean the Tench-class, right?

And it wasn't very similar to the Balao. I'd say it was more similar to the Type XXI U-boat.

Tigrone
03-26-07, 12:47 AM
The Tenches didn't get into action till the spring of 45, and only a few boats, their most important service was their lifeguard patrols. I'm predjudiced in their favor, since my Tigrone is a Tench, but there are real fixes that are needed now to the game. We need to get it fully playable first and patched first. The Tench is just a deep diving improved Balao.

TriskettheKid,
Don't confuse the wartime Tenches with the late 40's GUPPY conversions, which immulated the type XXI U-boats.

Kaleu_Mihoo
03-26-07, 12:54 AM
Don't want to go OT, but in which meaning was it "more similar" to XXI? In designers' wishful thinking perhaps.
But yes, I'd like to have them in the sim, more then the Gar.

JackChen
03-26-07, 04:31 AM
My two cents is if they can just add more stuff for us without us having to pay for some expensive expansion pack, all the better :up:

An improvement or addition is better than no improvement/addition.

WilhelmSchulz.
03-26-07, 01:53 PM
You mean the Tench-class, right?

And it wasn't very similar to the Balao. I'd say it was more similar to the Type XXI U-boat.
If your thinking of the GUPPY refits your right. But wartime Trenches looked just like the Balao

Wartime Trench
http://uboat.net/allies/warships/photos/am/ss_uss_quillback_ss424.jpg

CCIP
03-26-07, 01:54 PM
TENCH!

I don't see why not :hmm:

sea enemy
03-26-07, 01:58 PM
If you're going to add another sub, add the Narwhal class..They actually saw a good bit of action during the war-I think the developers already out-Tenched themselves when they added the SenToku

Hans Schultz
03-26-07, 01:58 PM
I'd love to see the Tench, but i'd really rather see the Narwhal first.

babroseker
05-30-07, 02:20 PM
The Tench class only looked similiar to the Balao. Internally/mechanically they were a little bit different. The most significant issues being a change in the MBT arrangement that did not have vent risers going through the torpedo rooms. This change allowed the Tench class to carry 2 more torpedoes in each of her torpedo rooms, for a total of 28 (as opposed to Gato/Balao's 24). Also Tench class was built from the start with the variable ballast tanks (as opposed to mainly post construction conversions with previous classes) for increased range.

Now, I will say that I'm a bit biased towards the Tench class, as I'm very involved in the restoration of the USS Torsk SS423 in Baltimore. She torpedoed the last two ships of WWII. I just think it is hard to have a WWII submarine simulation that doesn't have the sub that finished out the war (especially since previous versions of Silent Hunter did have it).

Bruce

Hitman
05-30-07, 03:06 PM
Someone already added the Tench class as an upgraded Balao variant (Which is what she really was AFAIK), so since we have already a good mdoel for her, I would prefer the adition of the Narwhal/Argonaut if possible.:up:

orangenee
05-31-07, 10:12 AM
I always loved the Tench in Silent Service II but everyones right, it is basically a Balao upgrade, so if another boat was to be added into the game I'd much rather see a Narwhal.

tater
09-16-07, 12:24 PM
If it's basically a Balao, can't it just be banged out like Gar and S-42?

They are, in effect, "Bungo Pete Clones" of the Gato/Tambor and S-18.

Gar cfg:
[Unit]
ClassName=SSGar
3DModelFileName=data/Submarine/NSS_Tambor/NSS_Tambor
HumanPlayable=YES
Interior=data/Interior/NSS_Gato/NSS_Gato
UnitType=200
MaxSpeed=20.4
MaxSpeedSubmerged=8.75
Length=93.8784
Width=7.9566
RenownAwarded=130

S-42 cfg:

[Unit]
ClassName=SSS42
3DModelFileName=data/Submarine/NSS_s18/NSS_S18
HumanPlayable=YES
Interior=data/Interior/NSS_SClass/NSS_Sclass
UnitType=200
MaxSpeed=13
MaxSpeedSubmerged=9
Length=66.82
Width=6.3
RenownAwarded=130
Seems like you could follow the way they made those 2 and bang one out with nothing other than text files.

tater

AVGWarhawk
09-16-07, 12:26 PM
Yes, give me my beloved USS Torsk Tench Class! It is thick skinned like me:D . Torsk Force! She was only one of 10 built and the only one with the most dives (surfacings) ever! Let me be the one to sink the last frigate of the war.....:up: You get the picture;)

tater
09-16-07, 12:52 PM
Sb1171 already did it:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=109972

Not messed with for 1.3 I think, but that shows everythign needed, just update with the right new files I guess. Assuming there were any changes.

To make it work with a mod that messes with the campaign (RFB or TM) you'd need to paste in the career start and flotillas stuff into the mod of choice.

M. Sarsfield
01-30-08, 09:05 AM
Only 8 saw action, but you have to have them, in my opinion. Ducimus didn't think so and he never added them to his TM mods. Not having the Tench in the game is like not watching the last 5 minutes of a movie.

Sailor Steve
01-30-08, 12:37 PM
Schulz, how many times do we have to repeat it?

It's Tench, not Trench! No 'R'! Every time you bring it up you still mispell it.

babroseker, WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

panzer 49th
01-30-08, 01:13 PM

It's Tench, not Trench! No 'R'! Every time you bring it up you still mispell it.

lol i have noticed that too.

AVGWarhawk
01-30-08, 01:36 PM

lol i have noticed that too.

Old post fellas....I'm guessing he knows it is a tench since his original post on 03/2007. :up:

Torps
01-30-08, 02:25 PM
Sure Ill take a TENCH.

Sailor Steve
01-30-08, 10:38 PM
Old post fellas....I'm guessing he knows it is a tench since his original post on 03/2007. :up:
D'OH!:oops::damn:

And here I am complaining about other people not reading dates on threads.:rotfl:

Lt commander lare
01-31-08, 02:39 PM
there is a tench class mod inst there but will it work with patch 1.4 and if not i would like to see the tench class added into the game along with a new boat added

lt commander lare

LukeFF
01-31-08, 10:34 PM
Speaking of bad spelling and grammar...

;)

Scurvy
02-01-08, 03:16 AM
I saw "Trench" and just assumed it was a sub that was designed to operate in the Mariana Trench...

Sailor Steve
02-01-08, 09:44 AM
:lol:

There's what we need: a Trieste mod.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathyscaphe_Trieste

Torps
02-01-08, 11:59 PM
You can change your thread to Tench, justFYI.

And guys I need testers, http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=129378 2 more.

donut
02-03-08, 12:21 AM
Don't ask for link,sans drama.Intel.

SteveW1
02-04-08, 04:04 AM
Hey guys how about you check out this link.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/9501057036

Looks like Ducimus has been bitten again.

Ducimus is just a legend.