View Full Version : [REL] Realistic Battery Life

CCIP
03-25-07, 10:32 PM
http://senduit.com/bdd505
or
http://rapidshare.com/files/22808076/SH4_Realistic_Battery_Life.zip.html
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TQNPNI5S

(now easy to do-yourself with the Mini Tweaker, but I'll save the effort to those who don't feel like it)

Adjusted underwater endurance for all fleet submarines. Based on the following research
data from the Fleet Submarine Manual.

Maximum Time Submerged and Cruising Range vs. Submerged Speed Knots
knots--miles(peace-time)-- miles (war-time) --hours(peace-time) -hours(war-time)
2 ------73 --------------100-110 ------------36 ----------------55
3 ------69 --------------100-105 ------------24 ----------------38
4 ------55 --------------83 -----------------14 -----------------24
5 ------40 --------------64 ------------------8.5 ---------------14.5
6 ------30 --------------48 ------------------5 -----------------9
7 ------20 --------------31 -----------------2.6 ----------------4.8
8 ------14 --------------23 -----------------1.6 ----------------2.6
9 ------9 ---------------15 ------------------1 -----------------1.5
10 -----10 --------------X--------------------X-----------------X

Mod uses the 4-knot wartime endurance as base; original SHIV used
2-knot endurance as base which did not function properly and
power usually ran out in only 5-6 hours at 4 knots.

Your boat will now be capable of making the above figures fairly accurately.

The older, smaller Porpoise class has 25% less battery charge than
other fleet boats.

nvdrifter
03-25-07, 10:47 PM
http://senduit.com/bdd505
or
http://rapidshare.com/files/22808076/SH4_Realistic_Battery_Life.zip.html
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TQNPNI5S

(now easy to do-yourself with the Mini Tweaker, but I'll save the effort to those who don't feel like it)

Adjusted underwater endurance for all fleet submarines. Based on the following research
data from the Fleet Submarine Manual.

Maximum Time Submerged and Cruising Range vs. Submerged Speed Knots
knots--miles(peace-time)-- miles (war-time) --hours(peace-time) -hours(war-time)
2 ------73 --------------100-110 ------------36 ----------------55
3 ------69 --------------100-105 ------------24 ----------------38
4 ------55 --------------83 -----------------14 -----------------24
5 ------40 --------------64 ------------------8.5 ---------------14.5
6 ------30 --------------48 ------------------5 -----------------9
7 ------20 --------------31 -----------------2.6 ----------------4.8
8 ------14 --------------23 -----------------1.6 ----------------2.6
9 ------9 ---------------15 ------------------1 -----------------1.5
10 -----10 --------------X--------------------X-----------------X

Mod uses the 4-knot wartime endurance as base; original SHIV used
2-knot endurance as base which did not function properly and
power usually ran out in only 5-6 hours at 4 knots.

Your boat will now be capable of making the above figures fairly accurately.

The older, smaller Porpoise class has 25% less battery charge than
other fleet boats.
Good job! You beat me to it. :D But be careful when using the word 'realistic' in your mod titles. Some people might not like that. :rotfl:

CCIP
03-25-07, 10:55 PM
Yep, tell me about it :p

But hey, in this case it's both numerically accurate and has the right result. Not sure what to complain about there!

There is, however, the issue that the battery recharge time seems to be shorter than it should be (not affected by this mod), but I really don't have any idea how to adjust it. I don't think it's even in the .sim files. (On the other hand, we had the discussion regarding battery recharges with NYGM team long ago, and it's a really complicated subject matter to model in a game, so we never came up with a final answer)

Ducimus
03-25-07, 10:55 PM
Sweet, saved me the trouble. One less thing i have to work on tonight, thanks man :up:

tedhealy
03-25-07, 11:01 PM
Excellent :up:

castorp345
03-25-07, 11:33 PM
But be careful when using the word 'realistic' in your mod titles. Some people might not like that.
indeed, except this is substaniated by an actual source (and not just "i feel")... a good example to follow. ;)

nice work CCIP!

:up:

edit: 'shame though about the s-class...
'been scouring around for similar data for it but no joy.
i'm guessing that it's values would be similar to that of the porpoise, unless anyone has further info?

pcelt
03-26-07, 05:05 AM
In order to install this mod data is it crucial that we have selected

IMPERIAL UINITS and not METRIC in the Options

Thanks--very inexperienced with modding and tend to attract tech disasters.

Zero Niner
03-26-07, 06:21 AM
Thank you.

Krupp
03-26-07, 06:45 AM
Excellent!:up: Thank You!

Onkel Neal
03-26-07, 07:11 AM
Great job! I did have some questions about the battery specs, after the review I will try your mod.

What? You're quoting me in your sig? I better be more careful what I say :lol:

Redwine
03-26-07, 07:12 AM
Many thanks CCIP :up:, data you add if for an speciphic sub model ? Wich one ?

Hackett
03-26-07, 08:00 AM
Nothing i can add, but show my appreciation...Well done!

:up:

Loaf
03-26-07, 11:29 AM
I have noticed the issue about the recharge times being unrealistically quick... But another thing I have noticed is that recharging only seems to affect your speed by about 1 knot. In the earlier two-engine boats they would be cutting available power in half to recharge batteries, and even in a 4-engine boat I would expect a much bigger speed penalty when recharging.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

CCIP
03-26-07, 12:19 PM
I only notice a speed penalty in the S-boats actually.

My suspicion is that this is intentional by the devs who took a 4-engine fleet boat for a model. Note also that while the S-class has that gradual switch from diesel to electric while diving (like in the U-boats), while the fleet boats go from one propulsion to the other immediately.

In any case, I think these behaviours are hard-coded. Would be good to gather up some research and throw it to the devs, though, if it's inaccurate.

pcelt
03-26-07, 12:24 PM
With apologies may I reask what is probably a very unnecessary question---
----Will this specific mod operate equally effectively and with the same results whether you are using in-game Imperial (miles )or metric (kilometers) as your distance measures.

Please just clarify this ---many thanks

CCIP
03-26-07, 12:27 PM
Should not be a problem, there is only one value in the submarine .sim file, and it was always in miles (even in SHIII which was metric-only).

You can test it easily - if a gato sub can stay underwater for about 24 hours at 4 knots, then it's fine. In stock game it would run out of power in about 5-6 hours.

fire-fox
03-26-07, 01:26 PM
hi CCIP good work just D/Led you crush depth's and battary's mod's and notesed that you isnt entry for the two S-bouts. and there isnt an entry for the new S-41's that where in the patch.

sorry if i just p!ssed on your effats but just thort you should k now:up:

CCIP
03-26-07, 01:31 PM
S-42 is actually just a slight visual modification of the S-18 and shares all the same performance data (just like the Gar shares all performance data with the Tambor).

As for S-boats in general - as I mentioned in the request thread for this, I haven't been able to find any accurate data on the S-boats' submerged performance that is any different from what we get in game, so I left it alone for now. I get the sense that the S-boats are overmodeled (unlike the rest of the boats), but I can't prove it right now...

Banquet
03-26-07, 01:43 PM
I found this link;

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/usw/issue_18/forgotten.htm

which gives these stats for S class;

Length:
225 feet Beam:
21 feet Draft: 17 feet
Displacement: 960 tons surfaced
1,130 tons submerged Surface Speed: 12-14 knots Submerged Speed:
10 knots Surface Endurance:
3,500 nm at 6.5 knots
Submerged Endurance: 20 hours at 5 knots
Complement: 4 officers; 39 enlisted men

CCIP
03-26-07, 01:46 PM
Yea, that's what I found too. But it does sound a bit odd to me - consider the fact that a fleet boat can only do a top of 64 miles at 5 knots, and surely when all is considered - a fleet sub can't be that much more hydrodynamically inefficient, and certainly has a far more powerful battery. 100 miles at that speed is a lot, the German U-boats have about 1/3 of that underwater range. So it doesn't quite make sense to me.

Banquet
03-26-07, 02:07 PM
It was probably the optimistic manufacturers claims and nothing like that in reality! Certainly seems a bit out of kilter with other subs stats.

I just tried your mod with an S class in the game. At 5 knots I got 23 hours before the battery was down to 10% which is a major improvement over vanilla. Thank you!

Slight downside was that it took 19 hours to charge it back up again. A Gato class took 4-6 hours to recharge. Is the recharge value a hardcoded figure based on battery drain time?

CCIP
03-26-07, 02:18 PM
Actually the mod didn't touch the S-class, so that is purely stock behaviour :p

I did, however, find some things I could add to the S-class file even without changing the performance. For example the boat's electric motor is set at the same power as the fleet boats (2700hp) whereas it was actually just 1500hp. Also, the game sets its max speed at 9kt while all the specs I've seen suggest between 10 and 11kt max speed. Not big changes, I know, but perhaps worth adding in.

I'm going to go to the library and see if anything at all is there. The S-class boat isn't the most popular subject in WWII sub history, so it does tend to be a little ignored. (very happy it's in the game though).

Banquet
03-26-07, 02:28 PM
You're kidding!? Haha! :D

Admittedly I haven't sailed in an S class before.. it was the P class that was giving me only 5-7 hours on battery.. I assumed the battery issue would affect all subs.

Which subs does your mod change?

CCIP
03-26-07, 02:49 PM
Basically all of them besides the S-class! (they all fall under the category of fleet boats anyway).

They have identical underwater ranges between them (based on the 4-knot, 83-mile wartime figure), except the porpoise which has 25% less range, citing the original game logic and the reference from SHI manual that someone gave which said that Salmon class boats had a significantly larger battery than their predecessors (meaning Porpoise).

Banquet
03-26-07, 03:00 PM
CCIP can this mod be installed via JSGME?

I installed it that way but testing the Gato and Porpoise class got the following results at 5kts;

Gato..
submerged - 6.03am
Battery@10% - 10.56am

Porpoise..
Submerged - 8.01am
Battery@10% - 10.59am

It doesn't seem to be working, am I doing something wrong?

CCIP
03-26-07, 03:15 PM
Yes, it should be installed via JSGME

Sounds odd; worked for me no problem...

Banquet
03-26-07, 03:48 PM
My mistake.. I copied the root folder into mods.. didn't notice the sub folder. Works now.

Just tested a Gato.. submerged at 12.02pm at 4kts.. battery down to 10% at 04.58am the next day.. so 17 hours battery use.. travelled 68nm. That would be 75nm using all the battery. 75nm is about 87 statute miles.. pretty damn good! Thanks CCIP! :)

I do wonder why I got so much out of the S class, and (as you hadn't altered it) why the devs gave it so much battery? Even with your mod it still out lasts the other subs.. in vanilla the difference is crazy!

CCIP
03-26-07, 04:02 PM
It's easy, actually. The vanilla game's fleet boats use a fairly accurate max range set at 2kt (96 miles). However because 2kt is not a normal cruising speed, and because the game's calculated range decreases geometrically with speed, by the time you hit 4kt there's a serious range reduction. By simply changing the 'control' speed to 4kt and using an accurate range at that, you get the right result.

Then there's the S-class for which the devs used a 5kt base speed with 100nm range, using the same source that you quoted it seems.

The underwater range should generally be set at a normal slow cruise speed, otherwise things start getting wacky. SHIII (at least with mods) used about 3-3.5kt and the results were right.

I'd love to find an accurate 4kt range for the S-class now...

Sulikate
03-26-07, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the mod mate! My batteries were literally killing me:arrgh!:

Marko_Ramius
03-26-07, 04:28 PM
Hi,

I tried to install this mod ( big thanks to you :up: ) and Generic mod Enabler say that the mod "Deph Charge shake 1.1" already changed and use several files ..

Can not use it at same time :cry:

Just in case it haven't been reported ..

StandingCow
03-26-07, 04:31 PM
Thank you :up:

don1reed
03-26-07, 04:45 PM
much gras, ccip :up:

CCIP
03-26-07, 04:47 PM
eep!

I just realized something - this mod uses the Depth Charge Shake mod .sim files as base.

It shouldn't be a problem for most people (even if they don't have the above mod), though I would recommend using it on top of Depth Charge Shake mod (realistic version).

Marko_Ramius
03-26-07, 05:01 PM
Many thanks :up:

Anachronous
03-26-07, 05:58 PM
eep!

I just realized something - this mod uses the Depth Charge Shake mod .sim files as base.

It shouldn't be a problem for most people (even if they don't have the above mod), though I would recommend using it on top of Depth Charge Shake mod (realistic version).

Maybe you could make an all-in-one (Depth, battery, camera, DC shake). With the camera distance mod too. :)

castorp345
03-26-07, 06:37 PM
I would recommend using it on top of Depth Charge Shake mod (realistic version).
with the caveat that with it one has to either sacrifice surface roll behavior or get weird interior camera motion...

not to mention (from the readme):

**Known issues**

When taking cannon fire on the surface, the submarine will violently shake, as if being severely depth charged. Sorry, but this is an unavoidable hard-coded side-effect that I cannot change. Also, if trying to repair on the sea bed floor, the submarine may eventually take collision damage- even when not moving. This happens especially when your boat has heavy flooding. When this happens, the screen will sometimes shake. Not violently, but it will shake. This is also unavoidable.

(all of which is just too many "exceptional circumstances" for my taste, but to each his own!)

Spadefish
03-26-07, 08:29 PM
Hi,

I tried to install this mod ( big thanks to you :up: ) and Generic mod Enabler say that the mod "Deph Charge shake 1.1" already changed and use several files ..

Can not use it at same time :cry:

Just in case it haven't been reported ..

CCIP,

I get the same msg trying to use this and the Increased Crush Depths Mod. Should I load one before the other? And if so...in what order? Thanks.

Beery
03-27-07, 12:09 PM
Hey CCIP. As usual this one looks great! Can I plug it into the RFB mod?

Dustyboats
03-28-07, 01:34 AM
Length (ft).........311.75
Beam (ft)...........27.25
Displacement (tons)....Surfaced 1526....Submerged 2424.
Speed (knts)..............Surfaced 20-25 design...17 Operation Average
Range.......................Surfaced 12000nm @ 10knts
Submerged 95nm @ 5knts.
Diving Depth.......300ft.
Complement........60.

The workhorse of the Pacific Campaign.
Note. I saw someone mention the Bathothermograph (SBT), (I think?). This did not get fitted to any US Boat until 1942. It then became the most important tool for many covert operations.....like the shallows around most of Honshu. It made possible some photography in and around Tokyo Harbour when a manned invasion was on the drawing board, prior to the Atom Bombs, not only of installations but minefields. I'm not too sure but I believe this may have been the "Herring-SS-233" that did this mission. As to depth of these boats it is recorded that the "Albacore-SS-218" made a depth of 450ft...and lived to tell the tale this time, though sadly struck a mine off NE Hokkaido 07/11/1944.

melendir
03-28-07, 08:48 AM
Great mod :)

jeff lackey
04-02-07, 09:10 AM
Do you have to start a new campaign for this to work? In a Tambor, middle of a campaign mission, installed via the JSGME, and when I submerge I'm still only getting a couple of hours or so at 4-5 knots.

JGSME says it's installed. What should my directory structure look like if it's done right? I noticed when it installed, e.g., Real Medals that I have a Real Medal folder under Mods (SH4/MODS/Real Medals/data) and one also in the root (SH4/Real Medals/data) but for realistic batter life I only have the one under mods (SH4/MODS/SH4 Realistic Battery Life/data/Submarine/(sub folders.) and not one directly under the SH4 folder.

Help!

U-Bones
04-02-07, 09:30 AM
Do you have to start a new campaign for this to work? In a Tambor, middle of a campaign mission, installed via the JSGME, and when I submerge I'm still only getting a couple of hours or so at 4-5 knots.

JGSME says it's installed. What should my directory structure look like if it's done right? I noticed when it installed, e.g., Real Medals that I have a Real Medal folder under Mods (SH4/MODS/Real Medals/data) and one also in the root (SH4/Real Medals/data) but for realistic batter life I only have the one under mods (SH4/MODS/SH4 Realistic Battery Life/data/Submarine/(sub folders.) and not one directly under the SH4 folder.

Help!

Campaign no, but partol yes. When you leave base, the sub stats are set until you RTB.

jeff lackey
04-02-07, 10:38 AM

Help!
Campaign no, but partol yes. When you leave base, the sub stats are set until you RTB.

Ah, cool - I'll quit trying to get it to work in the middle of the patrol. ;)

ReallyDedPoet
04-02-07, 11:35 AM
Nice:up:

supposedtobeworking
04-17-07, 10:20 PM
I don't remember reading a fix for this in the new 1.2 patch, but if it's not done already can this mod be updated to work with 1.2? I arlready feel like my battery is running out too soon. Thanks.

CCIP
04-17-07, 10:23 PM
The mod is already compatible with 1.2, though I haven't tested whether anything has been done in the patch about it.

The .sim files changed by the mod haven't been touched since 1.1

CCIP
04-18-07, 11:16 AM
Yep, this is compatible and also seems to be needed for 1.2 - battery life hasn't been changed, so this one should go right back in.

There is some good news about 1.2 though - the recharge times have increased!

LukeFF
04-25-07, 03:49 PM
eep!

Is there a way to have this mod without any changes made to the Depth Charge Shake config? I'm picky about how I mod my game, and really I just want to have the adjusted battery numbers for now.

mainexpress
04-25-07, 04:11 PM
does this mod make a difference in the fuel consumption issue,because i sure use up the gas going across the pacific.Because i would think that staying under water longer would conserve deisel fuel while on the surface.

Sailor Steve
04-25-07, 04:34 PM
Nope. Second law of thermodynamics: any time there's an energy transfer there's an energy loss. Recharging the batteries uses more fuel than just driving the boat.

In real life, anyway; don't know about the game.

Capt. S. A. Wood
04-25-07, 04:55 PM
Nope. Second law of thermodynamics: any time there's an energy transfer there's an energy loss. Recharging the batteries uses more fuel than just driving the boat.

In real life, anyway; don't know about the game.

True, but hopefully by using the batteries while traveling submerged during the day compensates for the extra fuel consumption that is experienced when charging the batteries while traveling on the surface at night.

I have not really done it myself, been enabling certain realism options one at a time so I can get used to them slowly.

- Wood

BBury
04-25-07, 06:43 PM
I've found that on the surface you have to run at 1/3 or you'll barely have enough fuel to get back to Midway. The "increased battery life" mod is a life saver in 1.2 since we can't call a tender to rescue us if we get low on fuel.

What would be cool is to have intel before leaving port of a tender on station somewhere between Midway/Johnson island and Japan.

Mast
05-01-07, 10:09 AM
With the 1.2 patch, the realistic battery life mod doesn't work. I'm I the only one? I'm using jsgme with SHIV.

Mast

P.S.- Nevermind, read an earlier post and think I've found the problem.

SteamWake
05-01-07, 01:55 PM
Thanks for this mod cant belive Ive put off getting it up till now.

Is there anything similar for diesel fuel consumptioin ? In my opinion the consumption for given speeds is way off.

ulyanov
05-07-07, 03:33 AM
Thanks, CCIP

You should edit your top post to say that your mod is in FTT. Took me a while to figure it out... :D

LukeFF
05-18-07, 02:11 AM
eep!

Is there a way to have this mod without any changes made to the Depth Charge Shake config? I'm picky about how I mod my game, and really I just want to have the adjusted battery numbers for now.

Bump! ;)

U-Bones
05-18-07, 01:17 PM
Yep, this is compatible and also seems to be needed for 1.2 - battery life hasn't been changed, so this one should go right back in.

Seems this is sub specific.
S-18 ~12hr recharge from 50 to 100%
Tambor 1h7m recharge from 50 to 100%

Have not hashed this out for all - just discoverd this trying to figure out why I lost long recharge. Turns out cause I was assigned a Tambor...

Edit: S Class was the only one.

50-100 charge times
~12h S-18
1h30m Porpoise
2h Salmon
2h5m Sargo
1h7m Tambor
2h7m Gato
2h16m Balao

Bah.

U-Bones
05-21-07, 10:02 PM

Have not hashed this out for all - just discoverd this trying to figure out why I lost long recharge. Turns out cause I was assigned a Tambor...

50-100 charge times
~12h S-18
1h30m Porpoise
2h Salmon
2h5m Sargo
1h7m Tambor
2h7m Gato
2h16m Balao

Bah.
Playing around the edges with something somewhat related on the S-class, I observe that there is no logical place for the long charge time to be except for the *.zon file. No other usual suspect was changed (under data). Yet tweaking a few things related to speed and endurance inj the *.sim file seems to cut the 12 hr charge in half or more.... Apparently the exe now reacts to the sim file on the S18 a little diffferently than it did in 1.1 - I am narrowing in on the factors in the sim file.

U-Bones
05-22-07, 01:04 AM

50-100 charge times
~12h S-18
1h30m Porpoise
2h Salmon
2h5m Sargo
1h7m Tambor
2h7m Gato
2h16m Balao

Bah.
Playing around the edges with something somewhat related on the S-class, I observe that there is no logical place for the long charge time to be except for the *.zon file. No other usual suspect was changed (under data). Yet tweaking a few things related to speed and endurance inj the *.sim file seems to cut the 12 hr charge in half or more.... Apparently the exe now reacts to the sim file on the S18 a little diffferently than it did in 1.1 - I am narrowing in on the factors in the sim file.

nss_s18.sim Submerged max speed on stock SH4 1.2
14.5 = not tested
13 = 4 hour recharge on 50%
9 = 12 hour recharge on 50% (stock)
7 = 27 hour recharge on 50%

Salmon
9 = 2 hour recharge on 50% (stock)
7 = 2.5 hour recharge on 50%

I think this surfaced because they retuned the fleet boats for 2kt submerged speed/range in stead of 4kt. Because the s18 is tuned for such a high speed, it ended up with a fat recharge.

Unfortunate that it seems to be a random thing rather than deliberate. If you fix the S class to have the correct underwater speed you are back to a 2 hour recharge...

I just kind of bumped into this other stuff toying with the S-class range.

starvingartist507
05-30-07, 10:34 AM
It bothers me that a company can't do this research ahead of time. I paid the same price for this game as I did any other, and it's essentially a beta, that we get to finish on our own. Thats incredible. Start demanding pay.

ReallyDedPoet
05-30-07, 12:39 PM
Welcome:up: starvingartist507

RDP

WilhelmSchulz.
06-21-07, 09:12 PM
Is it jesme compatible?

ReallyDedPoet
06-21-07, 09:16 PM
Had a look at the file structure, it looks good to go:up:

RDP

supposedtobeworking
07-14-07, 04:49 PM
Does anyone know if this can and/or should be used with 1.3...I did remember reading about fixing recharge rates when out of fuel in the 1.3 readme, but did they tweak the battery recharge rates in general as welll?? It seems to me my battery runs out too quickly, but maybe its just my imagination. So can I use this with 1.3?

thanks

PepsiCan
07-14-07, 06:45 PM
Hi

I just installed this mod on patch 1.3. Seems the SIM files in the stock game after patching to 1.3 are older than the files in the mod. So, they were not touched for 1.3 in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

switch.dota
07-15-07, 03:43 AM
TM 1.3 uses these files and is v1.3 compatible, so I'm guessing this mod is compatible with v1.3 as well.

fire-fox
07-15-07, 08:15 AM
Hi

I just installed this mod on patch 1.3. Seems the SIM files in the stock game after patching to 1.3 are older than the files in the mod. So, they were not touched for 1.3 in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

looks like the Porpose has a new'er .Sim file after the patch, but its a smaller file

Jace11
07-15-07, 08:57 AM
Be careful though, I has sim and zon files for each sub and they were fine in 1.2 but when using them in 1.3 I get a CTD (only in the museum when viewing the subs) I narrowed it down to one of these files, despite them being unchanged in 1.3.... weird...

Just check after you install this mod.. go to museum and cycle through subs.. if it crashes it is one of these.. (i thought it was upc but it ain't)

supposedtobeworking
07-15-07, 03:32 PM
Ok, any hope of getting this mod updated then for 1.3? I really don't want to mess with throwing 1.2 files into my 1.3 installation at this point...

Jace11
07-15-07, 04:48 PM
There is a problem.. I don't know how serious it is though. One cool thing, is that as a battery becomes more discharged your maximum speed decreases.. I don't remember seeing this in 1.2...

This may be the cause of my museum CTDs..

PepsiCan
07-16-07, 03:10 AM
Yep, the Porpoise SIM file has been touched. Also, I got CTDs after I installed this. But I am unsure as to whether it was this mod or some installation error that caused this to happen.

Did anyone notify CCIP?

Lagger123987
07-16-07, 03:17 AM
CCIP, can you make a 2x increased battery life mod? Also, what files do I tweak for the fuel and battery life too?

Bando
07-16-07, 04:30 AM
There is a problem.. I don't know how serious it is though. One cool thing, is that as a battery becomes more discharged your maximum speed decreases.. I don't remember seeing this in 1.2...

This may be the cause of my museum CTDs..

It did in 1.2 Jace. I'm positive on that.

Jace11
07-16-07, 05:52 AM
ok my bad sorry, i thought it was new, but obviously not then

letterboy1
07-16-07, 11:05 AM
Since the battery life mod is included in the new 1.3 compatible Trigger Maru, perhaps you can use that one. It means having to grab the individual .sim files and making your own JSGME version, but the readme lists every change made and which files it involves.

letterboy1
07-16-07, 11:10 AM
Yep, the Porpoise SIM file has been touched. Also, I got CTDs after I installed this. But I am unsure as to whether it was this mod or some installation error that caused this to happen.

Did anyone notify CCIP?

Did you start from port after installing this mod? Mods that change gameplay (as opposed to graphics or sound) will be incompatible with games saved during a patrol. Saves while in port are not affected.

Jace11
07-16-07, 11:35 AM
There is a conflict somewhere..

Install said sim files and you should be fine for the most part, however, go to the museum and cycle through the subs - see if you get a CTD.

When I replace the old sim, the CTD goes away... but I don't know why.

While the museum crash may not be important, it could be a symptom of some other problem which we will encounter later..

It probably has someting to do with the new way battery charge works, maybe there is a max charge or something.

One thing I am pretty certain of is it isn't the sim file itself, just how some data in it is used by something new that HAS changed..

P.S. The porpoise sim has changed to lower it in the water, a bug since 1.0 it had the wrong surfaced depth...!

Jace11
07-16-07, 12:00 PM
Seems stable now... weird...

I hex editied the files manually and gave them 100 @ 5 (same as the default values for an S-class) and no CTD... Porpoise left at 72 @5

Maybe it was the minitweaker, maybe it didn't like certain numbers...

letterboy1
07-16-07, 01:52 PM
Jace, are the Realistic Battery files in the latest Trigger Maru mod from you? I'd hate to implement them and cause myself the CTD you have discovered.

supposedtobeworking
07-16-07, 09:02 PM
Can someone release the stand alone realistic battery mod updated for 1.3, I am really starting to miss it...thanks.

Jace11
07-17-07, 06:16 AM
http://mpgtext.net/subshare/497Submarine.zip

try these, see if they are stable...

however, i have noticed I get recharge when not moving on surface...

Still things to resolve...

PepsiCan
07-17-07, 11:57 AM
Hi

I private messaged CCIP in case he (I assume) hasn't seen this thread. See what that leads to.

hector
07-17-07, 12:10 PM
I used the mini tweaker to change the batteries on the Gar and Sargo to something like 84@4 After travelling for approx 13hrs at 1kt i lose about 30-40% of the battery power,would this be fairly accurate.?
I ask this because when i used parts of the TM mod in patch 1.2 the batteries "seemed" to last longer unless i am mistaken.

Hector.

PepsiCan
07-17-07, 01:27 PM
Hi

TM 1.2 included the Real Battery Life mod. However, when patch 1.3 came out, RBL mod wasn't updated I think, so it probably isn't included in TM 1.3 yet.

You can find the RBL table in the very first post of this thread.

Hope that helps!

Bear
07-17-07, 01:33 PM
Is this mod Patch 3 compliant? In patch 2 the batterys lasted too long. Now in patch three it seems to short and recharge time takes way too long.

Example - I played hid and don't get killed with 3 DDs after an attack on a convoy. I would guess 3 hours of tricks to get away from them. Battery got down to 1/4 before escaping the DD's. It took from the coast of Honshu to past Midway running at flank speed to charge the battery to 75%. Is that in the realm of realistic?

PepsiCan
07-19-07, 04:08 AM
Is this mod Patch 3 compliant? In patch 2 the batterys lasted too long. Now in patch three it seems to short and recharge time takes way too long.

That's what we have all asked as well. It seems it isn't as some of the SIM files were touched for patch 1.3 and the current mod is based on files for 1.2. I messaged the owner of the MOD (CCIP) but haven't seen a response yet.

Wait and see.

Sailor Steve
07-19-07, 10:52 AM

Why wouldn't they recharge when not moving? Then you could use all four engines to recharge.

Hitman
07-19-07, 02:46 PM
I private messaged CCIP in case he (I assume) hasn't seen this thread. See what that leads to.

PepsiCan,

CCCIP is no longer here rgeularly. His computer died recently and he can only access internet from a public library which is far away from where he lives. He will not build another computer until past the summer as he had other projects and was going out on holidays:88)

switch.dota
07-19-07, 03:41 PM
Hi

TM 1.2 included the Real Battery Life mod. However, when patch 1.3 came out, RBL mod wasn't updated I think, so it probably isn't included in TM 1.3 yet.

You can find the RBL table in the very first post of this thread.

Hope that helps!
Trigger Maru 1.3A fixes the battery life. Look for Ducimus' posts in the TM thread - he didn't update the first post and title but DID relase a 1.3 compatible version of his mod.

Mechman
07-19-07, 04:51 PM
So is there going to be a new release of this mod independant of Trigger Maru?

switch.dota
07-19-07, 04:57 PM
So is there going to be a new release of this mod independant of Trigger Maru?
Probably, if either CCIP finds the time for it or someone else re-mods the stock 1.3 files to roughly the same values CCIP used for this mod.

PepsiCan
07-22-07, 07:02 AM
I looked at the Trigger Maru files. But TM also mods the diving times for the submarines and that mod utilises the same SIM files as the Real Battery Life mod. Taking the files from TM will not give you a stand-alone version of RBL.

So, if you want RBL only, you cannot use the TM files. The best thing to do is take RBL for 1.2 and put that in except for the SIM file for the porpoise class sub. That seems to be the only file touched for 1.3.

And now we wait for CCIP :-)

Captain America
07-22-07, 07:04 PM
I hope CCIP wont mind but I've updated the stock 1.3 files with his changes. They work without any problems, CTD, etc. I figured it would be a shame not to share them since several people are requesting it.

Again, full credit to CCIP...I merely updated his work.

EDIT: Link removed by CA

Mechman
07-22-07, 07:16 PM
Sweet. Does it effect he goofy recharge in the s-class?

supposedtobeworking
07-22-07, 08:43 PM
Awesome...downloading now before ccip finds out you went over his helmet lol.

thanks!

Fearless
07-22-07, 10:58 PM
Me too. :lol:

Fearless
07-23-07, 06:16 AM
I hope CCIP wont mind but I've updated the stock 1.3 files with his changes. They work without any problems, CTD, etc. I figured it would be a shame not to share them since several people are requesting it.

Download: http://rapidshare.com/files/44454909/SH4_RBL_1.3.rar

Can't open it for some unknown reason:cry:

PepsiCan
07-23-07, 06:20 AM

But you can download it I presume? Try 7-zip or some other utility. Google the rar extention.

Fearless
07-23-07, 06:08 PM

But you can download it I presume? Try 7-zip or some other utility. Google the rar extention.

Have all versions of utilities. File just won't open. It only has 5 bytes in it for some unknown reason.
Has a corrupted archive.

Captain America
07-23-07, 06:17 PM
I just downloaded it to test and all is fine with the file. Try downloading it again...if that doesn't work then :hmm:

btw, I used winrar to create the file.

Fearless
07-23-07, 06:51 PM
I just downloaded it to test and all is fine with the file. Try downloading it again...if that doesn't work then :hmm:

btw, I used winrar to create the file.

Yep, used Winrar. Downloaded it many times with the same result :hmm:

How big is the actual file anyway because all it shows is approx 5.6 bytes.

Seaman_Hornsby
07-25-07, 11:39 AM

It's about 10K, so you are missing a few bytes. Are you left-clicking the DL link and going to the rapidshare page?

Fearless
07-25-07, 05:58 PM

It's about 10K, so you are missing a few bytes. Are you left-clicking the DL link and going to the rapidshare page?

Did that as well but I think it may be my download program. Anyway I've fixed the battery life issue myself. Thanks for the responses guys. :up:

SirLawrence
07-26-07, 04:47 PM
problem , mod doesn't work with patch 1.3 on my computer, don't know why!:down:

I tested the modification for 1.3 it doesn't work too. i have test something with the hex editor, no result, in 1.2 it was easy to change everything in the sim data, but now the submerge range isn't changeable. *damn it*

Fearless
07-26-07, 06:00 PM

I tested the modification for 1.3 it doesn't work too. i have test something with the hex editor, no result, in 1.2 it was easy to change everything in the sim data, but now the submerge range isn't changeable. *damn it*

Did you use TimeTravellers Tweak program to adjust settings also using NVDrifter's tweak files? I have no probs adjusting .sim and .zon files. Just make sure that when you tweak those files, a copy is created also which you need to remove for the new tweaked files to work.

Captain America
07-26-07, 09:16 PM

I used the stock 1.3 files (from a clean install) when I made the changes. I've tested it several times....are you sure something is not wrong on your end? :hmm:

Before I delete the download, can anyone confirm that this works fine for them?

SirLawrence
07-27-07, 01:08 PM
funny!
first i uninstall the game, than delete saves games etc.
i do that several times.
the same problem :down:

I use a hexeditor and a calculator for the sim data.
If i used the RBL 1.3 without any hex work. the same result, no effects... damn it

WilhelmSchulz.
07-31-07, 04:43 PM
http://mpgtext.net/subshare/497Submarine.zip

try these, see if they are stable...

Is this one the 1.3 version?

Mechman
07-31-07, 08:44 PM

I used the stock 1.3 files (from a clean install) when I made the changes. I've tested it several times....are you sure something is not wrong on your end? :hmm:

Before I delete the download, can anyone confirm that this works fine for them?
Works for me.

WilhelmSchulz.
07-31-07, 08:50 PM
the update dosent work for me

supposedtobeworking
07-31-07, 09:43 PM
I think it works for me though not sure...how can i tell? I don't have any CTDs or errors from using it thats for sure. The battery recharge rate seems slow as it takes more than 12 hours to recharge a drained battery...but maybe thats how its supposed to be? I don't know I just plugged it in with JSGME and let it do its thing...don't notice any "problems" with 1.3

Fearless
07-31-07, 10:16 PM
Tweaked it myself using the Tweak program and went into the Gato.sim file. (Gato is what I'm currently using)

In the Electric Engine (or Propulsion) section, I set distance to 84 and Speed to 1.2

Data retrieved for the Gato:

Range: •11,800 nm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautical_mile) at 10 knots (21,900 km at 19 km/h) surfaced
Range: • 100 nm at 3 knots (185 km at 5.6 km/h) (maximum) submerged
Submerged Endurance: 48 hours

So I get pretty close to the battery life with the above setting.
Recharge is at 4 to 5 hours.

supposedtobeworking
08-01-07, 10:38 PM
I am in a salmon class sub and submerged to avoid an aircraft. I was submerged for 5 hours approx. and going at ahead 1/3 (~4 kts). After 5 hours I have lost 50% battery power...is this correct? It seems way too quick hearing about people staing submerged for 48 hours. Does this sound screwy to anyone?

PepsiCan
08-02-07, 07:07 AM
And don't forget that staying submerged for 48 hours does't mean you are moving all that time.

Warden
08-02-07, 07:34 AM
At 4 knots you're supposed to have an endurance of about 20 hours. Unfortunately the game appears to be broken.

switch.dota
08-02-07, 09:35 AM
Ducimus implemented the realistic battery life in Trigger Maru. Maybe you could ask HIM to post a standalone realistic battery life mod for 1.3.

supposedtobeworking
08-02-07, 12:00 PM
ok and btw warden I am not using stock 1.3...I installed the realistic battery life mod and thats what happpened. I will post a thread in Ducimus' TM or pm him i guess. PepsiCan...okay well I don't know what to think cause warden is saying that I should be able to stay under for 20 hours...maybe a google search will yield some information.

Warden
08-02-07, 12:45 PM
When I said you were supposed to be able to do 4 knots for about 20 hours I meant what the subs were capable of in reality during WWII.
I've been mucking about with minitweaker and after some tests I have the following to report.
Using the Tambor class in a quick mission I submerged, set a waypoint 100 nm away and set speed to ahead slow (about 3,75 knots). I then checked how far I could travel before the battery reaced 50 percent. Using different values with minitweaker I got the following results:

milesSubmerged knotsSubmerged DistanceTravelled
- - - 83 - - - - - - - - - 4 - - - - - - - - 39
- - - 83 - - - - - - - - - 5 - - - - - - - - 29
- - - 83 - - - - - - - - - 3 - - - - - - - - 60

Apparently setting knotsSubmerged to a LOWER value increases maximum range.

PepsiCan
08-03-07, 07:49 AM
Hi

I don't know who it was, but someone did a 1.3 version of RBL. That version contains a bug that increases the save files to literally hundreds of megabytes. Disabeling the mod made the problem go away again.

Just so you know.

Captain America
08-03-07, 09:12 AM
Hi

I don't know who it was, but someone did a 1.3 version of RBL. That version contains a bug that increases the save files to literally hundreds of megabytes. Disabeling the mod made the problem go away again.

Just so you know.

Not sure if you are referring to the file that I posted but I can confirm that I do not have the problem that you are stating. I just did a file compare between the new 1.3 version and CCIP's original and the files are identical with regards to the battery info. Like I stated previously, all I did was transfer the exact info from CCIP's files to the stock 1.3 files....this isn't rocket science so I am totally stumped as to why anyone would have any problems with it.

PepsiCan
08-03-07, 10:30 AM
But the funny things, is

Mod enabled = big save games
Mod disabled = small save games

Maybe there's something more complex going on. I'll do some more testing and I'll let you know.

supposedtobeworking
08-03-07, 10:33 AM
I don't have the save game problem, but it just seems like the battery goes out too quick....maybe that means that the mod is working just fine though.

Killer-Carrot
08-03-07, 05:15 PM
The realistic battery life mod in this thread makes the savegames about 350mb in size for me. It hangs the game for several minutes when saving or loading these huge files. Without the mod everything is back to normal.
oh and the mod doesn´t seem to work properly either. The battery runs out way too quickly

kaliber7
08-05-07, 01:40 PM
I have tried every posted link to try and download the RBL mod, but either the file is not there, or the link is invalid.:hmm:
Can anyone give me a valid link where the file exists, or attach it to an e-mail to me ? I would be most grateful for your help.

PepsiCan
08-05-07, 02:47 PM
Message me privately and I'll send you the file.

PepsiCan
08-05-07, 02:49 PM
The realistic battery life mod in this thread makes the savegames about 350mb in size for me. It hangs the game for several minutes when saving or loading these huge files. Without the mod everything is back to normal.
oh and the mod doesn´t seem to work properly either. The battery runs out way too quickly

What class of sub are you using and how long does your battery last at what speed?

WilhelmSchulz.
08-05-07, 03:36 PM
The reason you people are having no efect with the mod is because the mod dosent work with pacth 1.3

Fearless
08-05-07, 10:19 PM
The reason you people are having no efect with the mod is because the mod dosent work with pacth 1.3

That's why I changed it in my Gato sub. (NSS_Gato.sim)

Use the tweaker program and the particular sub you want to tweak (ie mine was NSS_Gato.sim tweak file)

Go into Electric Propulsion
Change the distance setting to 84
Change the Speed Setting from 4 to 1.5

You'll have a pretty close realistic battery life setting in the game.

Just make sure you delete the "Copy of *.sim" file (* being your particular sub) out of you NSS_"your sub type" folder otherwise it'll use that file instead of your new tweaked file.

kaliber7
08-09-07, 02:46 AM
Message me privately and I'll send you the file.

Thanks for the file.
Presently, I have no problem with large save games. Everything seems to be working fine.

PepsiCan
08-09-07, 08:41 AM
I have serious problems with save games at the moment. I can save, but every save I've made has turned out corrupted so far. I think I need to reinstall the game.

Gorshkov
07-20-10, 06:05 PM
Well, after three years I got the following underwater ranges sailing Balao-class sub at periscope depth:

- stock SH4 game: 70 km/38 nm/43,5 mi at 4 kt (99% to 10% drop of battery power)
- RFB 2.0 mod: 90 km/48 nm/56 mi at 4 kt (97% to 19% drop of battery power)

I guess Balao-class sub's realistic range should be 133,6 km/72,2 nm/84 mi at 4 kts according to data presented in this thread...

Ducimus
07-20-10, 06:27 PM
I found a way to fix boat endurance and recharge times while working on the the type 9d2.

1.) Redo the propulsion specialist so he only effects battery consumption rate, and assign him as a member of the boats crew so he is always present. (I recommend control room).

2.) Reduce the boats submerged endurance in the sim file. Say.. to... 20@4 kts, or even 10@4 kts. Use whatever kt speed the boat was rated for.

3.) Increase the bennfit of the propulsion specialist.

Test in game. If your rated at 96KM @ 4 kts or whatever, then use that. Tweak tell you get that, while specfifying something much lower in the sim file.

The trick is calibrating the ratio between endurance in the sim file and battery consumption reduction. To achieve the rated endurance at the apporpriate recharge time.

* The smaller number you use in the sim file, the quicker your recharge time, but the more reduction to the battery consumption skill you must use to achieve the desired endurance.

* Larger number used in sim file, the slower the recharge time, the less bennfit you have to apply to the battery consumption skill to achieve the desired endurance.

Gorshkov
07-20-10, 06:46 PM
OK but give me realistic data for Balao-class sub so I will be able to adjust it myself using your trick and SH4Editor.

As for now I have more precise results for Balao range in both RFB 2.0 and GFO when sub travels 4 kt at periscope depth:

- 46 NM/53 Mi - when 4 kt drops to 3 kt
- 50 NM/57 Mi - when 3 kt drops to 2 kt
- 56 NM/62 Mi - when 2 kt drops to 1 kt
- 63 NM/72 Mi - when 1 kt drops to 0 kt

I am not sure what value for range measurement is correct: 53 Mi (slowing down below desired speed) or 72 Mi (complete stop) but anyway this is still worse result than 83 Mi @ 4 kt range mentioned at the first page of this thread. Yet it is better than in the stock game.

PS. Well, Soviet S-class sub was a real "elektro-podlodka": 148 Mi at 3 kt! :)

Besides - how this propulsion guy can change batteries consumption rate? Is this real or funny game feature only?