PDA

View Full Version : My own lil research.

Wolfie39
01-10-07, 12:39 AM
I was not playing Silent Hunter lately untill the Gray Wolves mod came out. I'm going to be playing a whole day on my day off from work. I am looking forward to Wolves Of The Pacific being released. March can't arrive fast enough! I'm going to be posting more on the forums. I wanted to point to two books I'm going to be reading [both I read long ago in my teens when Gato was "the" sub game]. 1. Undersea Victory [470+ pages] and 2. Silent Victory [1070+ pages]. Silent is on its way to me now by Amazon.

What other books do you recomend that I read to get the knowlege and feel of the Pacific war [navel side that is]? Any help would be great. No picture books. Just nice thick dry history. :know: You guys rock!!! :rock: I'm glad to be here. I used my deck guns [I did not know how to load them. LOL] for the first time last night. I had a torp bounce off a ship. Also how long did it take normally to load torpedo tubes? Seams to take a while in the sim. I'm impatiant anyway. lol. My deck gun attack sunk a 10,070 ton merchant. Now I'm heating to a British port to take out a ship or two. I hope no planes swarm for very long. I also hope ports are ripe with targets in The Gray Wolves MOD. I shall see tonight.

Sailor Steve
01-10-07, 11:24 AM
United States Submarine Opererations In World War II, by Theodore Roscoe.
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=Theodore+Roscoe&y=0&tn=United+States+Submarine+Operations+In+World+War +II&x=0

It has a few factual errors, because of information unknown at that time, but it's a great book.

Of course, if you're really serious you could pick up the entire 14-volume History of United States Naval Operations, by Samuel Eliot Morison.
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=Samuel+Eliot+Morison&y=0&tn=United+States+Naval+Operations&x=0

AVGWarhawk
01-10-07, 11:45 AM
I just finished Unrestricted Warfare. Sorry, I do not recall the author. It is a very good book. It did spend alot of time on O'Kane and his adventures.

JSF
01-10-07, 06:36 PM
"Submarine," by Ned Beach.......This book chronicles the stories of several famous subs and thier flamboyant skippers. Ned's literary style is presented in laymen terms which allows even the novice to become immersed in the action as it unfolds during the telling of each story. Some of the submarines mentioned are Seawolf, Batfish, Wahoo, Tang, Cavella, Harder, and of course Trigger which Ned served as Engineering Officer and finally Executive Officer before getting his own command of Piper.

Another huge benefit to this book comes from the detailed information which Ned provides as far as sub philosophy, tactics, and the general frame of mind of the sub community during that time frame.

I continue to read and reread this book as I always seem to get something new each time.

Ned Beach is the "Mark Twain" of submarine story telling.

Wolfie39
01-10-07, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to read them. All except the multi volume one. LOL. Sorry. I'll be ready for Wolves Of The Pacific by March.:up: I also found other books while on those Amazon.com pages.

dean_acheson
01-11-07, 11:59 AM
I just finished Unrestricted Warfare. Sorry, I do not recall the author. It is a very good book. It did spend alot of time on O'Kane and his adventures.

The author was James F. DeRose.
Reading it now.

MadMike
01-11-07, 08:41 PM
Do a Google or Yahoo for "submarine war patrol reports"...

Yours, Mike