SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-09-14, 11:54 AM   #1
The_D
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Need some help with installing TMO 2.5

Ahoy everyone!

I love sub simulation games and I want to experience this wonderful mod that, after reading the notes, appears to be passionately made (maybe even fanatically! )

I must start by saying I am a mod_installing_noob. This is my first mod and I am at a loss for what I have done wrong. Let me give you as much info as possible.

I have the latest version of SH4 (Yes, the Uboat add-on)

I have downloaded and unzipped the TMO mod. (On my desktop.)

I have installed JSGME and I placed it in the main directory of my game

(Example: Steamapps, Common, SH4, JSGME)

I have made another folder in the SH4 directory called "MODS" (It matches JSGME)--I think that's what the instructions tell me to do.

I have placed the TMO mod (by drag and drop) into the JSGME MODS folder.

I did start JSGME.

I DID "activate" the mod. (according to JSGME).

However! When I tried to activate the mod for the first time, JSGME froze and crashed. Although, on the second attempt, it "activated"--not sure if that matters.

When I start the game up in steam, it's just the vanilla Uboat.

Is there supposed to be an exe file or something? Ahhh, what to do...

Perhaps I need simple step-by-step instructions for daft people

As a disclaimer, I must say I really appreciate this site! The amount of free content is incredible and I am thinking I will use this site for a lot of stuff once I become mod competent.

Once I get the TMO mod working on my computer, I promise to make a donation to this site.

Thanks for the help!
The_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 05:01 PM   #2
The_D
Swabbie

A thought:

Was I supposed to unzip JSGME WITHIN Silent Hunter 4's root directory?

Because I unzipped it at the desktop and THEN dropped it in the directory.

I'm too scared to try that because my internet is slow and it would take me a whole day to reinstall the whole game if I messed up the game files. Not sure if I can do that, but I read somewhere about NOT unzipping things within JSGME.

I wonder if the same thing applies for the root directory.

So many questions... And even more noob'dom.
Old 11-09-14, 05:14 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

The_D! hang tough help to arrive shortly

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 07:04 PM   #4
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_D View Post
A thought:

Was I supposed to unzip JSGME WITHIN Silent Hunter 4's root directory?

Because I unzipped it at the desktop and THEN dropped it in the directory.

I'm too scared to try that because my internet is slow and it would take me a whole day to reinstall the whole game if I messed up the game files. Not sure if I can do that, but I read somewhere about NOT unzipping things within JSGME.

I wonder if the same thing applies for the root directory.

So many questions... And even more noob'dom.

It has been a long time, but yes, I do believe you unzip jsgme in the dir and then run it. As I recall, in doing so it creates a MOD folder. You shouldn't be making one of those that I remember.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 08:35 PM   #5
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ighlight=jsgme

Follow the directions and make sure your mod folder isn't doubled up from the unzip.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 07:37 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ighlight=jsgme

Follow the directions and make sure your mod folder isn't doubled up from the unzip.
Rgr that...you can also unzip to desktop and copy and paste into directory (MOD folder).

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 08:50 AM   #7
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

From what I'm seeing of your game file structure, you have a Steam download of the version 1.5 game. Your main game folder should be read as "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific".....I'm making that distinction because when you start the game (every time you restart the game) the game will make a folder named "SH4" (or remake it if its deleted) in your "Documents" folder of your computer. The SH4 folder is used to keep track of your personal options and saved games as you make them. Just to keep the confusion down, the "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" is your main game folder.

When adding JSGME to your main game folder, it's true to open the app directly into it.....so it can make the necessary files JSGME will need to operate when you first execute JSGME. As Armistead said, the "MODS" folder will be made within the main game folder when you first run JSGME.

Your Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific folder should look something like this after JSGME has been properly added:

These 4 circled folder/files will be in your main game folder. The .exe file is the one with the "Gme" as its icon.

When adding mods to the "MODS" folder, you'll need to make sure that the file structure of the mod is correct. What I mean by that is the folder structure of the mod should have the "Mod name", then directly next, the "Data" folder of the mod. Due to many mods having several different versions within its download, there can be several different named mods found in the main downloaded folder. So, the correct folder structure that JSGME will use to add a mod to the game needs to read:

MODS/Mod_name(whatever it is)/Data/.......and so on down the folder list of the modifications being made.

Also, with a new install of the game...and adding JSGME to it, make sure you allow JSGME to take a "Snapshot" of your game folder/files for future reference. This feature is found in JSGME's "Tasks....." menu heading. JSGME will make a reading of your complete game structure, saving it so you can compare the freshly installed game files with future game files that may change over time. And yes, if your adding/subtracting mods on a regular basis, you can expect to have file corruption from time to time. Some mods work well with others, some do not.....when they don't folders/files are changed, sometimes being left behind to cause all sorts of trouble. The Compare Snapshot feature is the best way of diagnosing a corrupt stock game. You do not want to have any mod "activated" in JSGME when making the original Snapshot, or when you Compare Snapshot in the future. The original Snapshot should have nothing but the clean installed game files and JSGME added to it.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 11-10-14 at 09:03 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 09:50 AM   #8
The_D
Swabbie

Thanks guys!

I have to work a 10 hour day today, but when I get back I will unzip the mod within the game and go from there. I'm thinking that was my problem.
Old 11-10-14, 10:48 PM   #9
The_D
Swabbie

First off, let me begin by thanking all of you for responding, especially capnscurvy!

Now, I was not successful tonight, but I made some progress (again).

I don't know why, but the JSGME does not function the same way as you guys have been explaining it. To explain what I mean, I am going to just break it down, what I do, step-by-step:

1. So, on my desktop, I have both the (ZIPPED) TMO and JSGME files.

2. I then unzip TMO file with 7zip to make the mod file appear on my desktop.

3. I move the (STILL ZIPPED) JSGME file to my main, SH4 Wolves of the Pacific directory.

4. I unzip the JSGME file with 7zip WITHIN my SH4 WOTP directory.

This is where things change.

5. When I do that, I do NOT get multiple folders/icons as scurvy indicated in his post and screenshot. What I do get is ONE folder called JSGME and within that folder I get another folder titled the same way, "JSGME" and within THAT folder I get all the files Scurvy indicated with his screenshot.

Undaunted, I decide to move those four files (there's actually five files, with another called JSGMEHelp) to my main SH4WOTP directory.

So, to establish things, at this point, I have a very similar view of Scurvy's screenshot in front of me. The only difference is that I have that JSGME folder (now empty) and the JSGMEhelp as well. (I ended up deleting that empty JSGME folder, because it served no purpose.)

However, my impression of your guys' instructions was that when I UNZIPPED JSGME WITHIN my SH4WOTP directory, these files would already be created in my main directory. I did not anticipate having to drag and drop anything. So... I feel like something is really amiss at this point.

6. I then decided to active JSGME. At this point, i am going to copy and paste the instructions provided to me by this version:
1. Ensure that you have a clean, unmodded installation of your game, preferably with the latest patch(es) installed. If you are already running a prior version of the Generic Mod Enabler, disable all enabled mods.

2. Install the Generic Mod Enabler to your game's root folder and run once. You will be asked to enter a mods folder name. Unless your game already uses a folder called MODS, it is recommended that you simply press OK to accept the default MODS name. The chosen folder will be created if it does not already exist. At this point you should take a snapshot of your "clean" game files by selecting the "Generate snapshot of game files" option from the "Tasks..." list. This snapshot can be used to verify the integrity of the game files at a later date, after you have installed and uninstalled mods (see "Further notes on usage" for more information).

3. After downloading a mod, unzip it into a sub-folder under the MODS folder (call the sub-folder what you like, but use something that defines what the mod is). Note that the modder may have already set up the mod to be "JSGME compatible", in which case this step and the following step will be done for you. In such instances follow the installation instructions that come with the mod.

Ok, I underlined and put in bold a very important part of those instructions. Basically... none of that ever happens. I just open the program and it's there. I'm not asked to name a mod folder or anything like that.

Undaunted once again, I decided to place the TMO mod into the MOD folder provided to me within the JSGME folder (That was within a "JSGME" folder"--AND VOILA! It appears within the JSGME program! How exciting.

7. And this is where things get so, so sad. . I use JSGME to add the mod to the game and... as far as I can see, it works! But, of course, when I launch the game, it's still vanilla, with expansion.

Okay, so now I am just going to provide some information:

I have Windows 7.

The JSGME verision is: v2.6.0.157

Now, I am going to ask a some questions:

The EXE file scurvy mentioned... am I suppose to use that to launch my game? Because, I've only been able to launch my game through steam. When i click that EXE file, a notepad program comes up with:

[MODS FOLDER]
Name=MODS
[JSGME DETAILS]
FullPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific\JSGME.exe
[FORM SIZE]
Main Height=528
Main Left=190
Main Top=103
Main Width=676
Main WindowState=0
Old 11-11-14, 09:53 AM   #10
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
What I do get is ONE folder called JSGME and within that folder I get another folder titled the same way, "JSGME" and within THAT folder I get all the files Scurvy indicated with his screenshot.
Lets start here.

This is the thing that merc4ulfate mentioned in his reply.......there can be multiple, or "double" folders. One holding another folder, that holds another folder, that finally holds the files you want. For those that have never messed around with mods before (or, JSGME for that matter), having double folders can screw up your install. Some modders pay attention to their mod folder setup and make sure it's "JSGME compatible". Some don't have a choice, since there may be several different mods, all in the same download that make the user choose which to use. What's important is for you to watch for that kind of thing and make sure you're not having double folders in the MODS folder, or when adding JSGME to your Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific game folder. Mods in the "MODS" folder should have their name, then next, the "Data" folder containing the various folders/files the mod changes........Having a double folder with two mod "Names" is trouble......JSGME won't be able to load the files into the game.

Quote:
Ok, I underlined and put in bold a very important part of those instructions. Basically... none of that ever happens. I just open the program and it's there. I'm not asked to name a mod folder or anything like that.
Well......no, you wouldn't be asked to name the "MODS" folder if you've already copy/pasted the folder into the main game folder.

Quote:
......when I launch the game, it's still vanilla, with expansion.
Your "MODS" folder needs to have TMO 2.5 listed exactly as this:

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5

This is the name you will see listed in the left pane of JSGME.

If it doesn't, then the next folder held in the above "Named" mod isn't "Data". As I've already said, this is the only way JSGME can load modified files into the game......if the structure of the mod is correct, it will be:

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5/Data/ and so on.....

Quote:
The EXE file scurvy mentioned... am I suppose to use that to launch my game? Because, I've only been able to launch my game through steam. When i click that EXE file, a notepad program comes up with:
The JSGME.exe file is only to open/start JSGME. It doesn't start the game. Use whatever .exe file Steam has you starting the game after making your choices in JSGME.

And by the way.......did you take that Snapshot yet?! You should do so before adding a mod to your game. It only takes one bad mod activation to mess up the works.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 11-11-14, 10:22 AM   #11
The_D
Swabbie

Argh! I only have mere minutes before I must leave for work so I am typing frantically.

Yes! I took the snapshot!

And! Argh! I misunderstood Merc's double folder thing. But Now i get it!

And! Aragh! I will try again tonight. Thank you

Aragh!

Old 11-12-14, 12:31 AM   #12
The_D
Swabbie

Default YAYYYYYYY

Woooow, I love this mod! Very immersive and the Japanese do NOT **** around now. Very cool!

I started with an S-18 and I attacked the task force that attacks Borneo is the beginning. Shot 4 torpedoes. 3 Missed, and one just.... took a wild ass turn to the left. Fantastic, this mod replicates the early war torpedo flaws. Very, very cool.

Oh, and I got depth charged nonstop for like an hour.

Any tips with the S-18? I exceeded the crush depth by like 45 meters but I was too scared to go deeper; however, I was still getting pinged. I kept my RPMs under 100, but they still found me often.

Is the thermal layer still an effective hiding space? For this fight, I just went deep and quiet.
Old 11-12-14, 09:56 AM   #13
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Sounds like you've got things going.......GREAT!

As far as play tactics, you'll get a better response either in a specific post or posting within TMO 2.5's thread.

With TMO, you'll find the enemy will respond to you much greater than the stock game. Detection is greater, so is their ability to track you once detected. As far as the thermal layer, I don't think it even exists in TMO. Neither does the cloaking of being submerged from being detected by planes overhead. You'll need to go deep to keep planes from seeing you.

Quote: