SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-21-09, 10:47 PM   #1
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Real Time Patrol (1x TC), First attempt! (death on 4th day)

La Rochelle, France. Autumn, 1941.

Yes, you heard this before, but it's true. Im starting a new patrol, and I have nothing planned for the next 3 days, as I'll be alone in my house, and I do have 2 computers, both with internet, so I decided to start a real time patrol (1x TC) in the living room computer, wich is plugged into a 40" Sony Bravia, while I can work and do the rest of my stuff in the other computer, including use the internet to post the patrol here, as it goes, like reports to Bdu. The computer is also linked to a sound system, I kinda have a home-theater PC in the living room. The sound is 5.1 with speakers around the living room, where I'll just throw a mattress in the floor, and sleep there. In that small place, surrounded by sofas, and a few feet away from the kitchen, I'll have my own uboat. If something is spotted, they will yell and I'll wake up, otherwise I'll just sleep with the sound of the waves. I installed a red bulb as a light in the living room, while the rest of the house will remain all lights out.

The game clock is set to my real life clock, so its night here, night there.

I've done the first 18 hours of the day without posting anything here, but I was writing it down, to put all at once. From now on, one new post on regular basis, reporting anything interesting.

Day 1.

La Rochelle, France. January, 1942. Im using WAC 4.1, in wich the 3th flotilla is placed at La Rochelle, just like in Das Boot. Left with my VIIC at 2am of January 8th, the designed grid patrol is BF42. Went northest, passed St. Nazaire in the first light of the morning. Went west. Bearing 275. Ahead 2/3.

Nothing on sight.

18:55, submarine spotted. SS Class. 13 km away, 8kts. Quadrant BF6472. We went down, 25 meters. Submarine passed on my right, 6.7km away. Surfaced. Strangely this submarine was way too close to the French coast. Reported submarine position, heading and speed to Bdu. Kept course.

20:13, lost track of submarine. Waited half hour, nothing on hydrophones. Returned to the surface, resumed course to patrol grid.

21:42, some nice old tunes in the gramophone, while I was having my dinner. Rice, brown beans, smashed potato, chopped meat, orange juice. (for real).

Day 2.

01:33, Currently grid BF5552, course 279, speed 10kts. Reading a book. "Die Geheimnisse der Weisen von Sion", or "Protocols of the Sages of Zion", published by Gottfried zur Beck, in Charlottenburg in 1920. Of course my edition is not so old, it was published in 2001, but its not an easy book to find. Very interesting book, tho... Full of truths.

Last edited by Philipp_Thomsen; 11-25-09 at 05:24 PM.
Philipp_Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-09, 11:18 PM   #2
Pohl
Sparky

Downloads: 31

from my personal experience and my Real Time patrol, it will be a very good experience for you, specially if you come back to a nice sunset and see the weather change...no words to describe such feeling

U-3502 Type XXI, 7th/13th Flotilla
April 14, 1942
100% realism, GWX 3.0, SH3 Commander 3.2
Pohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-09, 11:52 PM   #3
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 4

Are your "Protocols of the Sages of Zion" comments real ones or part of the role-play, impersonating believing-Nazi commander?
Links: SH5 mods I use, FileFront, Manual plotting how-to
Abd_von_Mumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 02:44 AM   #4
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

5:33, went to 25 meters, no sign of a soul on hydros. Im going to a short sleep in my bunker, with a very loud volume so i can wake up with the screaming. Some tunes on the gramophone, easy to sleep like this.
Quadrant is BF5514.

@Abd_von_Mumit, No, Im actually reading the book while I play. I started reading the book 2 days ago, very good book. And Im not nazi, Im just open-minded.
Old 11-22-09, 03:19 AM   #5
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248

All credit to you for doing this, I've often wondered about whether I should have a go at this but never have the time to. I often leave the game running real time when I go to bed and haven't got to worry about getting up next morning. More often than not I'm woken up by a sound contact at 3 am and next thing you know, I'm sneaking away from a decimated convoy with all torpedoes spent and the sun's coming up outside. No other game has ever got me to do crazy stuff like that, lol.

Good luck to you Phillip, but you say you have 3 days free, what happens when you reach the end of 3 days? You will carry on as normal with TC or will you keep it at 1x when you do get on the PC? 3 days is a mere flash in some of the patrols I do (min 30 days).

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 03:59 AM   #6
Pohl
Sparky

Downloads: 31

What Damo said, I suggest that you TCx1 once you're far away from home base, higher chance of enemy contact, It took me near 6~8 days to complete my TCx1 Patrol and all I saw was 1 small merchant and airplanes

U-3502 Type XXI, 7th/13th Flotilla
April 14, 1942
100% realism, GWX 3.0, SH3 Commander 3.2
Pohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 11:52 AM   #7
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

13:54, crash dived for training purposes, went down to 222 meters to test the boat. Everything fine, no leaks, 2 bolts broke. Grid BF5412.

Using WAC 4.1, 100% realism, DiD.
SH3 Commander, with random ship tonnage, random crush depth, and others.
No instant death screen + long repair times.
3th Flotilla, La Rochelle, Lt. Philipp Thomsen.

Yes, 3 days won't be enough, unless I find a convoy and use all my torpedos. But I'll see what I can do, I'll keep going 1x TC as long as I can. If some time I have to do something else, I'll just pause the game and then resume at high TC when I get back, to get the clocks together again.

Last edited by Philipp_Thomsen; 11-22-09 at 01:54 PM.
Philipp_Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 01:58 PM   #8
Gabucino
Gunner

Downloads: 50

I always wanted to do this. Incidentally I also play on Bravia and 5.1. Maybe you've just given me the push needed.

"Heil und sieg! Sink'em all!"
Gabucino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 02:07 PM   #9
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabucino View Post
I always wanted to do this. Incidentally I also play on Bravia and 5.1. Maybe you've just given me the push needed.

"Heil und sieg! Sink'em all!"
It does make a difference... having all the sounds coming all around you, with that big screen. Makes you feel like ur really there.

Also, with that big screen and image quality (the bravia has some functions that reduce the tearing, smoothers the pixels and pixel transitions), its so cool that I can actually just sit on the bridge for hours, just looking at the ocean and skies, and having the breeze pass thru me, from front speakers to back speakers. Its a brand new experience...
Old 11-23-09, 12:14 PM   #10
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

5:42, reached patrol grid objective, BF42.

15:15, so far, not a bird in sight.
Old 11-23-09, 01:38 PM   #11
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen View Post
[B][COLOR=yellowgreen]@Abd_von_Mumit, No, Im actually reading the book while I play. I started reading the book 2 days ago, very good book. And Im not nazi, Im just open-minded.
Suggested lecture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pro...Elders_of_Zion
This book may be interesting as a historical document that had a strong impact on human minds and behaviours, but calling this forgery "Full of truths" is rather not sign of being open-minded in my opinion.

It was first published in 1903 in Russia, and scholars now commonly share opinion that it is a tsar secret police forgery intended to point the people to a "common enemy of humanity": Jews. It helped to build wide support for antisemitism, it was widely used by Nazi propaganda. Suggesting here that it's a valuable book to read, without mentioning all the above, should not take place. This is why I decided to interrupt your thread - this is too important to be just ignored. Thousands of innocents died because of this book.
Links: SH5 mods I use, FileFront, Manual plotting how-to
Abd_von_Mumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 02:45 PM   #12
Gabucino
Gunner

Downloads: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abd_von_Mumit View Post
This is why I decided to interrupt your thread
You shouldn't have done that, because I disagree. And this thread is not the place for this.
Gabucino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 04:57 PM   #13
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Why people have to expect the worst the best they can?

Im not talking about the Jews. I have nothing against Jews. Killing innocent people is wrong.

I was talking about what the book talk about the control of society and money and all, I didnt even get in the part they talk about the Jews yet.

As far as I did read, this book is very similar to the movie Zeitgeist, which is in my humble opinion the best single thing I have ever watched.

A quote from wikipedia, from your own link...

"The Protocols are widely considered the beginning of contemporary conspiracy theory literature, and take the form of an instruction manual to a new member of the "Elders," describing how they will run the world through control of the media and finance, replacing the traditional social order with one based on mass manipulation. The work was popularized by those opposed to the Russian revolutionary movement, and was disseminated further after the Russian Revolution of 1905, but achieved worldwide popularity after the 1917 Bolshevik October Revolution, when the idea that Bolshevism was a Jewish conspiracy for world domination sparked far-ranging interest in the Protocols. It was widely circulated in the West in the 1920s and 1930s, and while continued usage of the Protocols as a propaganda tool substantially diminished with the defeat of the Nazis in World War II, it still has currency in the arsenal of contemporary anti-Semitism."

If someone give me a book named "How to make yourself miserable in 10 days", I will read it from cover to cover, cos I think every single book have something good to offer. I dont judge the book by the cover, I'll judge the book after reading it. And so far, this book is amazing.

Im sorry if I made you missunderstand this, but again, I do not hate Jews, I have nothing against Jews. In fact, for me people are people, doesnt matter the colour or religion. Its all people, just like me. I dont ask for colour or religion or any documments when I meet a new friend, so chill out there.

As far as the patrol goes, still patrolling the grid BF42 for 24 hours. Still 9 hours to go. No sign of even a mosquitto.
Old 11-23-09, 06:13 PM   #14
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 86

great answer, Herr Kaleu Thomsen!

and all the best to your patrol!
Old 11-24-09, 12:01 AM   #15
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248

I would respectfully request that if anybody wishes to raise concerns over Phillip's personal (and free) choice of reading, they do so through the site's personal message system rather than detract from this interesting thread and Phillip's personal endeavour to annoy the neighbours with 5.1 surround shouts of 'Ship Spotted!!' at unearthly hours of the morning.

Carry on Herr Kaleun.

(Just don't go out and buy Mein Kampf, whatever you do....)

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote