SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-22-07, 11:34 PM   #1
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default "GI Jive" real life Disc Jockey "Jean Ruth Hay"

I believe the Author of "GI Jive", a music mod that's part of "Armed Forces Radio Service" is fred8615 ( if not I apologize and give credit to the real author ).

This was the lady Disc Jockey: Her radio name was "Beverly"
This top pic was before she was Disc Jockey at Los Angeles with GI Jive.

I have this mod of many 1940's songs ( not sure just how many ) and this lady is the voice you hear at the AFRS in Los Angeles,Calif. as she does identify in the mod AFRS in L.A. at times. you will always hear her just before a new song is played. I think she has a very smooth kind of sexy voice.

Here is a story of her but it was also about her death Oct. 2004 at 87 so that would make her about 24/25 at the time of the broadcasts ( music ) we hear.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/03/na...d=all&position=

The GI's voted her "The girl we'd most like to be trapped in the turret of a B-17 with."

I thought it was kind of nice to know what the disc jockey looked like especially since shes a lady.
Old 12-24-07, 03:56 PM   #2
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Hmmmmnn, guess no-one listens to fred8615's "GI Jive" music mod.

Oh well can't win them all.

Old 12-24-07, 06:37 PM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

guilty as charged

But that's why I read these threads. I love Fred's stuff but there's no way I seem to keep up with it all. Nice to know that we had someone to give Tokyo Rose a run for her money. Think I'll load her up and take her for a spin!

Edit: By the way, next time post a link and some of us will download it and contribute to the thread. I'll pull your cookies out of the fire this time http://hosted.filefront.com/fred8615/2029156. Pile on everybody with a bit over a gig of empty real estate!

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 12-24-07 at 06:52 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 07:02 PM   #4
Capt Jack Russell
Watch

Downloads: 24

G.I. Jive is my favorite! I can't play without it. Thanks for the Pic I wondered what she looked like ... great voice.
Capt Jack Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 07:31 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Default Question

Is the mod I posted a link to the one you're using? You might be using a smaller one that people would be more interested in. My Christmas Eve is going to be spent downloading a gig and a half of great stuff. Break out the nog!!!!!!
Old 12-24-07, 08:05 PM   #6
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

RR I don't know what happened? Somewhere in his pot of gold music I d/l "GI Jive" folder at 82.2 mb of MP3 records ( a great many songs ). I remember yesterday I was looking at his stuff and saw "GI Jive" as part of "AFRS" ( Armed Forces Radio Service) mod, but I did not d/l that. I always save these mods to disc and somewhere along the line I forgot to save it. What happened I think is that I d/l a long one and broke it apart just keeping "GI Jive" and dumping the rest.
Yeah I know.........Go stand in a corner.

HOLD the phone, it's in this CBS mod:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119668

Fred states that one of the folders is "GI Jive" ( well he said 'CBS radio station KNX in Los Angeles') and thats her. Problem is you have to d/l all six.
Thats what I did and I dumped the rest after picking her out.

Fred seems to be off line right now and for good reason no doubt ( Ole Saint Nick is VERY near. lol ) Probably be best to ask him when he's back and maybe he can give us a shorter route?

Last edited by Elder-Pirate; 12-24-07 at 08:43 PM.
Elder-Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 08:39 PM   #7
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Default Capt Jack Russell your wanted on the phone.

Capt Jack Russell how did you d/l "GI Jive"? Was it in the CBS mod?
Old 12-24-07, 09:07 PM   #8
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Default Aaahhhh Nuts.

RR I'm totally confused now for I downloaded the first part of the CBS mod and the folder was 'CBS radio station KNX in Los Angeles' which is where she broadcasted GI Jive but this folder is all news and events while hers is just solid music with her the disc jockey.

Guess its in the "Armed Forces Radio Service" mod after all. Somewhere down the line I think he changed some stuff around?

If you see a folder in the mod named GI Jive that's it.

Oh well I need my shot.

OH nurse!

Let me know Rockin Robbins what you find out.
Old 12-25-07, 10:08 AM   #9
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

My G.I. Jive is in the AFRS mod. I didn't know anyone else had some of the shows too. If it is in a different CBS radio mod, that's historically incorrect. The program was AFRS only.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-07, 11:37 AM   #10
Snuffy
XO

Downloads: 5

<o to a woman that fulfilled her duty when needed!

RIP
Old 12-25-07, 12:27 PM   #11
Capt Jack Russell
Watch

Downloads: 24
Default GI Jive

Honestly, I can't remember where I got J.I Jive initially. You see, I edit all my stuff before I put it in the radio file. I prefer just girl singers of the 40's so I've got stuff from many sources in there. Always puts me in good mood. They sure made some great music back then.
Capt Jack Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-07, 02:57 PM   #12
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1
I don't know if this is Fred's website or not ... but this is where I downloaded G.I. Jive:

http://sh.xset.co.uk/
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-07, 09:49 AM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Default Now it can be revealed (or something like that)

After a grueling day that left both Elder and myself gasping for breath as we both discovered that we had no recordings of Beverly from "Reveille with Beverly." The initial article in the thread looks like Jean Ruth Hay was responsible for Reveille and GI Jive. The more we looked, the less likely that seemed.

Now it can be revealed that both these swingin' sweeties were separate people, confirmed by photos and sound samples of their broadcasts. To my relatively modern ears, Jill sounds like the more pulchritudinous* of the two, but I imagine if I were on a submarine for a month with no sight of anything female my resistance to either might be futile.

So here they are: from "Reveille with Beverly," Jean Ruth Hay:

her voice:http://files.filefront.com/Beverly+f.../fileinfo.html

And Martha Wilkerson, GI Jill of "GI Jive":

her voice:http://files.filefront.com/GI+Jill+f.../fileinfo.html

I'll take Jill, but I understand that Beverly aged better. Both are gone now, but their contribution to the war effort was not trivial. When death looks you in the eye and winks at you it's time to remember why you fight. Listening to these two would remove all doubt: bootie and wenches! America the beautiful indeed!

Note: Now Fred needs to see if he can come up with some "Reveille with Beverly" shows and plug them into the right radio station.

*how's that for a $200 word? If you can't think of a good word make one up!
Old 12-27-07, 10:18 AM   #14
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Unfortunately, Archive.org doesn't have any episodes, and a quick Google search came up empty too. I'll keep my eyes open though, and also try a more thorough seach later.

To Munchausen:
That's not my site. It's someone else's radio mod.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-07, 11:06 AM   #15
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Expected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615
Unfortunately, Archive.org doesn't have any episodes, and a quick Google search came up empty too. I'll keep my eyes open though, and also try a more thorough seach later.

To Munchausen:
That's not my site. It's someone else's radio mod.
Elder and I both just flamed out in exhaustion last night without posting our findings because it was just so darn difficult to find an inarguably real recording of Jean Ruth Hay. The one I had turned out to be Martha Wilkerson (Jill). Finally I found one where she identified herself by name (good enough for me!) during a promotional broadcast. Looks like a lot of people confused these two, or maybe they just didn't want to have to choose between them!