PDA

View Full Version : African Bees Nest

elcid
08-29-05, 07:01 PM
Played African Bees Nest last night.. a number of times. One time my FFG went floating backwards across the docks and landed on the other side of the pier (didn't know they were amphibious) The last time, I had almost made it to the goal line with I CTDed. I'm playing patched to 1.01 and using Finiteless's Realism Mod. Also, ship control commands don't seem to work unless using the order's shortcut bar at the bottom.. does anyone find this wierd.

The rest of the time I was just struggling to get out of port. Smashed into the docks a few times before I got the hang of the APUs hehehehe how embarassing :oops: made a few more stupid mistakes too, like waiting the full hour for my helo to get airborne only to find out that you can't get an AI pilot to fire Hellfire missiles at surface targets... oh, also tried firing a MK50 at a boghammer only to have it riding up my butt a few minutes later. I can't imagine what those Gambian rebels must have been thinking hehehe

I respectfully submit myself as candidate for the first Hall of Shamer

PukingDog
08-29-05, 09:49 PM
That mission was a good learning experience for me. Once I realized the CIWS would chew up those Boghammers, instead of trying to get em all with the 76mm and 50cal, it became real easy

LuftWolf
08-29-05, 09:58 PM
Never thought of that... who needs those bushmasters! :arrgh!: :rock:

Thanks for the tip!

elcid
08-29-05, 10:07 PM
yeah, that's what I ended up doing. Using CIWS and I almost made it, right up to my CDT.

It takes a full 20 minutes to reload CIWS thought.. and the gunner manning the 76 really sucks, not to mention any names but it's me. He couldn't hit the ground if he fell.

LuftWolf
08-29-05, 10:27 PM
elcid, I have heard and it is my experience that if you have a strong radar contact for the 76 it will more or less be on target. The little blue boats going around in circles are not good returns for the fire control radar, so the solution for the gun is not good.

I think the CIWS uses a doppler radar or something, which is much more sensitive to fine movement. (not at all sure...)

JoGary(sco)
08-30-05, 06:04 PM
I had a fixed version i had done for this map where the attack boeats nevr went round in circles but when i reinstalled DW i forgot to save it and lost it :)
Actually lost a few more aswell as it. Got it back with a undelete prog but it was corrupted and wouldnt open. If i find the time again i will redo it.

Syxx_Killer
08-30-05, 06:22 PM
What causes the blue boats to run around in circles? That is one of my favorite missions.

elcid
08-30-05, 07:24 PM
Luftwolf, you're absolutely right... I was trying out Dirty Atoll last night and decided to firing a warning shot to a trawler / fishing boat to my starboard. I didn't think I would hit it but guess what? ... :o

They definately present much bigger radar returns than those boghammers

Kapitan
08-30-05, 07:58 PM
simple dont fire warning shots :D

elcid
09-01-05, 06:27 PM
yeah, those scare tactics simply don't work on AI pilots/captains . . i really didn't think I'd hit him.. especially with one shot hehehe

Apocal
09-09-05, 01:52 AM
I was using Standards to knock down the Boghammers... guess I'm just wierd like that.

Wim Libaers
09-11-05, 06:12 AM
I was using Standards to knock down the Boghammers... guess I'm just wierd like that.

The missile probably was more expensive than the target :P

I find the .50 works well. Just travel at flank speed when possible, and make evasive turns to get them on the side. Then, if they manage to catch up, shoot when they get close.

Dr.Sid
09-11-05, 07:45 AM
In thiss mission you can't compare target price and weapon price .. you do not attack these boats .. you defend against them. Then you must compare price of FFG and price of missile. This leads to quite different conclusion.
Anyway this mission is on of very few where .50 comes handy.

Apocal
09-11-05, 02:30 PM
The missile probably was more expensive than the target :P

I find the .50 works well. Just travel at flank speed when possible, and make evasive turns to get them on the side. Then, if they manage to catch up, shoot when they get close.

Roughly $430,000 for a SM-2MR Block III, which seems to be the model portrayed in DW, based on it's performance against seaskimming missiles. But I prefer to think in logistics instead of economics, meaning my 40 SM-2s outweigh they're six(?) Boghammers, even using shoot-shoot-look-shoot. And given that I'm using off-board platforms for detection, classification and identification, ownship need not be any near the threat before and during engagement.

The final result? A completely one-sided ass-whupping at the expense of ten SM-2s and approximately 400 rounds of 20mm tungsten.

Wim Libaers
09-14-05, 02:22 PM
In thiss mission you can't compare target price and weapon price .. you do not attack these boats .. you defend against them. Then you must compare price of FFG and price of missile. This leads to quite different conclusion.

Sure, but the point is you don't need the expensive option.

Besides, I think this mission was made specifically to give people an opportunity to use the .50.

SteamWake
09-14-05, 02:25 PM

Sure, but the point is you don't need the expensive option.

Besides, I think this mission was made specifically to give people an opportunity to use the .50.

Which is all well and good but sometimes there is more targets than .50's LOL