PDA

View Full Version : Does this game rock, or what?!?! FFG-7 kicks A!

Sea Demon
08-25-05, 10:37 PM
I've almost mastered the Oliver Hazard Perry. The only part I'm missing is the towed array station in conjunction with TMA. It has taken awhile to get used to this platform as it is an extremely complex one. But I feel very confident hunting subs onboard this surface unit.

I've had alot of fun figuring this platform out, now I need to develop tactics. :rock: :rock:

Sea Demon

Bellman
08-25-05, 10:49 PM
Sea Demon :-
But I feel very confident hunting subs onboard this surface unit.
AI or MP ? ;)

Sea Demon
08-25-05, 11:31 PM
I haven't been able to play online due to firewall issues or something. So I've been hunting AI subs. I'm sure a sub manned by a human opponent would be a much more ferocious experience. But AI submarines have fired their weapons at me. Maybe not as aggressive as a human opponent, but still got some teeth.

Sea Demon

NastyHyena
08-25-05, 11:49 PM
I haven't been able to play online due to firewall issues or something. So I've been hunting AI subs. I'm sure a sub manned by a human opponent would be a much more ferocious experience. But AI submarines have fired their weapons at me. Maybe not as aggressive as a human opponent, but still got some teeth.

Sea Demon

Humans tend to be much more liberal with the usage of ASMs. The SS-N-27, in particular, is a Perry slayer. Unmodded it's a Mach-3 cruising killing machine, often fired in pairs at unsuspecting skimmers.

With luftwolf's mod, the missile is 2-staged, subsonic before enabling, then popping up to aquire before a mach-3 terminal.

In either case, if you dont spot it and shoot it down early enough, you die.

Has anyone delt with harpoons and/or TASMs fired at Perries yet?

TLAM Strike
08-26-05, 12:34 AM
Has anyone delt with harpoons and/or TASMs fired at Perries yet?Finiteless and me were paired up on an OHP one day against two 688s with a P-3 backing us up. We dodged about 8 torpedoes and shot down, decoyed or otherwise evaded nearly two dozen ASM from the 688(i)s. :rock:

Kapitan
08-26-05, 01:44 AM
bah the OHP will be mince meat if i get my hands on it

sea deamon prepare to abandon ship :arrgh!:

Soulchaser
08-26-05, 02:39 AM

dont forget about thoose little helos......

Sea Demon
08-26-05, 02:43 AM

First things first. We got to solve this problem of not being able to play online Kapitain. Then maybe you can get your chance. :D

And for the rest of you, I do find AAW missile defense to be very difficult in the Perry. It obviously was not designed for the job as a primary function. That's why I like to bring the Arleigh Burkes and the Tico's along on sub hunts. And they can help me give the Akula's a little ASROC death as well. But I've found, all in all, the Perry class is a fine sub hunter when you put the entire package together. This includes fully utilizing all sensor and the helo/ASTAC combinations. Fine ship indeed. :up:

Sea Demon

Sea Demon
08-26-05, 02:45 AM

dont forget about thoose little helos......

Soulchaser, you beat me to it. Even if any sneaky Russkie gets his 27's off, the helos know where to find him. And we have one dead Russian sub...very quickly. :up:

Sea Demon

Dr.Sid
08-26-05, 06:23 AM
Also, you stil have CMs .. people often forget about them in OHP. Autocrew also sometimes fires just flares against missilies, so you can't get feeling that CMs does not work at all .. but if you fire 3 flares to both sides of the ship, it is really hard for the missile to hit you.

Kapitan
08-26-05, 06:47 AM
not realy i dont like using the 27's i prefer the 65's so i can attack you from 500 maybe more meters :D

SquidB
08-26-05, 06:50 AM
Ive been intrested in getting into the perry for a while though.

Are there any tutorials outside the manual and whats on the disk to help me? :know:

Takeda Shingen
08-26-05, 07:20 AM
not realy i dont like using the 27's i prefer the 65's so i can attack you from 500 maybe more meters :D

:roll: Good luck getting that close on a human opponent.

ReubenJames
08-26-05, 07:43 AM
I've almost mastered the Oliver Hazard Perry. The only part I'm missing is the towed array station in conjunction with TMA. It has taken awhile to get used to this platform as it is an extremely complex one. But I feel very confident hunting subs onboard this surface unit.

I've had alot of fun figuring this platform out, now I need to develop tactics. :rock: :rock:

Sea Demon
Perhaps, when you want to get some hands-on tactic, you would like to go back to Jane's Fleet Command for some little experiements.

Funny thing is that a Perry Class FFG in Jane's Fleet Command doesn't like to do anything towards submarines. Maybe, I set them to deep underneath, 1,000 ft everytime. But as far as the Perry Class FFG is concerned, it is a superb platform according to military fact sheets.

As for me, I would rather jump onboard the Seahawk, get your relayed data and hunt down the submarine myself. :yep:

Syxx_Killer
08-26-05, 09:23 AM
I like the OHP platform, too, although I haven't used it much. My favorite platforms are the Akula and the new Kilo. A matchup like this sounds quite fun. I think I'll have to start practicing, though. :88) :arrgh!:

Bellman
08-26-05, 10:49 AM
:) Well respect Sea Demon - its quite a big task to master the FFG. :cool:

I have converted from SW to Akula and had many rewarding trips in the MH60 but I keep saving the FFG for ' a rainy day ' :hmm:

LuftWolf
08-26-05, 11:32 AM
Did you guys know that:

The OHP FFG is as quiet or quieter in database terms as: Trafalgar, Victor III, Oscar (louder than OHP), Han (louder), Song (louder), Foxtrot (louder), Rubis (louder), Type 206, Type 209, Hangor, Hai Lung, Hairushio, Xia (louder), Ming, Santa Cruz, and Hashmat submarines.

This is probably curved for speed, so a frigate would typically be going faster than any of these subs, so its still relative.

Zerogreat
08-26-05, 12:50 PM
I think that point is, that at any speed over something like 3 knots, OHP will cavitate, which makes it somewhat loud :hmm:

ReubenJames
08-26-05, 02:06 PM

Sea Demon

With luftwolf's mod, the missile is 2-staged, subsonic before enabling, then popping up to aquire before a mach-3 terminal.

This design tactic is quite similar to the 65's. As it's got enabled and locked on, it acquires the target holding at 45knots upon detonation during its terminal trip.

Have you also noticed the SS-N-15 Strfish. Quite a terrible Sub Vs Sub ASW weaponry. It is launched at shallow depth, engaging at subsonic speed towards target and blast off its warhead upon 1 nm separation. It's like a Sukoi flying extremely low and drop it with a parachute. It enables a pretty goos stand-off range upon launch. I wonder if it can be fitted into any surface vessel apart from subs.

TLAM Strike
08-26-05, 02:21 PM
I wonder if it can be fitted into any surface vessel apart from subs.The Kirov class CGN has the larger verson the SS-N-16 rocket, its launched from its torpedo tubes. I've also read that the Project 1154 Neustrashimy class Frigate can carry eather SS-N-15 or 16 rockets. The new SS-N-29 ASROC can be fitted to surface ships. The Udaloy, Krivack I and II and Kara carry the SS-N-14 Silex ASW/ASuW missile.

LuftWolf
08-26-05, 02:23 PM
The Silex is no joke. They fire them in groups of three every few minutes. :dead:

NastyHyena
08-26-05, 03:35 PM
The Silex is no joke. They fire them in groups of three every few minutes. :dead:

In Soviet Russia, 'overkill' is standard procedure :yep:

Kapitan
08-26-05, 03:37 PM
yep sure is

the new udaloy 3 has VLS systerm which is capible of firing a new type of ASW missile

TLAM Strike
08-26-05, 04:20 PM
yep sure is

the new udaloy 3 has VLS systerm which is capible of firing a new type of ASW missile

The SS-N-29 or something totaly new? :hmm:

Kapitan
08-26-05, 04:28 PM
possibly the 29 but i dont know as of yet have to ask javier