PDA

View Full Version : Preference for conventional 65 or wakehomer.

Bellman
08-23-05, 08:03 AM
As an Akula diver I welcome most of the Luftwolf and Amizaur mod :up: - but I prefer the previous (vanilla) wire guided
conventional 65 to their new wakehoming version without wires. :hmm:

Which do you prefer ?

Of course you would probably like the option to have both :yep: - but that is not available (yet) :hmm:

Kapitan
08-23-05, 10:55 AM
although i load out both i have more 65cm torpedos on board than any other weapon i prefer torpedos to missiles when attacking any vessel ship or sub but mainly as im under ice i load out only torpedos typial load will be 75% 65cm and the rest conventional 53cm

just curious bell man what akula do you drive ?

LuftWolf
08-23-05, 10:57 AM
I have to add, you simply cannot believe how much the 65-76 torpedo rocks until you have sent it into a cloud of American, Nixie equipped warships, and checked the kill list 10 minutes later. :rock: :arrgh!:

Who wants a ASW torpedo with a 900kg warhead, IMHO, that's a joke. :-j

Snakeeyes
08-23-05, 10:58 AM
Too bad the Russians removed them from service after the Kursk incident.

65-76s are my favorite anti-surface weapon in the entire game.

LuftWolf
08-23-05, 10:59 AM

I don't think I can quite believe that... but maybe I'm off. ;)

Kapitan
08-23-05, 11:02 AM
they removed 65-76 one year after the kursk infact 3 days before kursk sailed into murmansk under giant 4

the 65-76 has been re designed and supposidly going to be redesignated 65-04 but it has yet to come of age

Bellman
08-24-05, 03:24 AM
:) Very close to date - one voter makes the difference between existing and 50/50.

Of course the sub v sub divers are lurking deep not shallow like the '' sitting-duck''shooters. :lol: :arrgh!: :hulk: ;)

Fish
08-24-05, 04:25 AM
I have to add, you simply cannot believe how much the 65-76 torpedo rocks until you have sent it into a cloud of American, Nixie equipped warships, and checked the kill list 10 minutes later. :rock: :arrgh!:

Who wants a ASW torpedo with a 900kg warhead, IMHO, that's a joke. :-j

Did you test it in a sub vs sub fight?

LuftWolf
08-24-05, 08:40 AM
Yes. If you fire the torpedo at the correct depth (the depth of the target), the torpedo will home on the wake of the submarine.

Active decoys cause a disturbance in the water which causes the wakehomer to be temporarily confused, but usually reacquired quickly.

If the depth is not set close to the target depth, the weapon will not acquire.

If you want to use the 65-76 against subs, I see it being most effective in littoral contexts, when there is less of a depth range to worry about.

Bellman
08-24-05, 11:32 AM
:) Not a great help in sub v sub I think. May prevent some from using this excellent mod. :hmm:

Kapitan
08-24-05, 11:35 AM
bellman what akula do you drive ?

SquidB
08-24-05, 11:55 AM
Thing is the version of the 65 that ships with DW doesnt exsist.

Again i think that the weapon had the wireguided/ sonar homing function put in as a gameplay tool.

As Id much rather play a sim than a game i think is wicked that we now have 'real' weapons to play with. :up:

Fish
08-24-05, 01:07 PM
:) Not a great help in sub v sub I think. May prevent some from using this excellent mod. :hmm:

Indeed. :down:

Although , being a Seawolf diver? :shifty: :lol:

Amizaur
08-24-05, 01:31 PM

Too bad they didn't remove them BEFORE... It was great weapon and I miss it too but 118 people would still live...

P.S. Maybe it's not gone yet, because few years before Russians offered it for export as TT-5 heavyweight 650mm wake-homing torpedo. Probably with China in mind :-). Don't know if they are offering it now, after withdraw from service in own navy.

Bellman
08-24-05, 02:34 PM
:lol: Yes Fish - having just recently jumped ship from SW (1 1/2 yrs SC/SCX) to the Ak.in DW. :ping:
LufAm transients are fair but they've stolen my 65 baby :doh: :roll: :arrgh!: :damn:

SW divers are going to love this mod but its a great pity that the Ak, facing SW, FFG, MH60 and P3 has had
two wisdom teeth drawn. One was enough ! :hmm:

My old model is looking a bit seductive. ;)

SquidB
08-24-05, 02:44 PM
Lol they havent stolen it bellman....you never had it.

We have the long range option of Subrocs or the close in USGT.

Im slightly worried by plans to limit the aquire range for those tho.

However we can always swap back to the orignal database if things are too unbalanced

Bellman
08-24-05, 03:28 PM
Well the UGST in SCX gave us 37.5 nm range now in this mod we have an active max. range of 16.3 nm and passive of 17 nm..

Re switching - yes but I am aiming to return to MP so it will depend on what the MP community opts for.

Somebody out there is drawing the Aks teeth especialy if the MK 40 detection range is reduced.

SquidB
08-24-05, 03:42 PM
Somebody out there is drawing the Aks teeth especialy if the MK 40 detection range is reduced.

Perhaps, as for MP, i think it will be down to the individual participants as to which mod, if any will be used.

For Competative purposes probably "vanilla" DW.

For what ifs and realism perhaps one of the mods.

What would be nice would be a gizmo that allows you to install/deinstall mods, Ala Lomac's loman etc

Bellman
08-24-05, 03:46 PM
:up: Yep - switch easily prior dive - that would be magic.

I second that. :rock:

Fish
08-24-05, 04:33 PM
:lol: Yes Fish - having just recently jumped ship from SW (1 1/2 yrs SC/SCX) to the Ak.in DW. :ping:
LufAm transients are fair but they've stolen my 65 baby :doh: :roll: :arrgh!: :damn:

SW divers are going to love this mod but its a great pity that the Ak, facing SW, FFG, MH60 and P3 has had
two wisdom teeth drawn. One was enough ! :hmm:

My old model is looking a bit seductive. ;)

Parrott ? :hmm:

Kapitan
08-24-05, 04:34 PM
dont please no more flaming parrots :dead:

Bellman
08-24-05, 05:13 PM

''This parrott is not well !
That parrott, sir is dead !! "
Monty Python.

:-j

LuftWolf
08-25-05, 02:00 AM
INSERT: I just read the posts in the other poll and I think all that's a good idea, so I guess that makes the following rant old news. :-j

/rant

I primarily enjoy playing the Akula. I find the stock loadout for the Akula *unplayable* and senselessly redundant. In fact, it was the primary motivation for me posting in the Mod forum about interest in a new db mod.

How can you possibly want to fire a torpedo at a sub with a 900KG warhead??? Doesn't something about that bother you??? You want subrocs, asuw missles, shikvals, AND a torpedo with the range of an adcap that can kill ticos with one go (except for that pesky Nixie that stops them ALL the time).

You want to put four 65cms in your tubes, and then fill up the other 12 with a nice assortment of special weapons, all the while not having to think about the shrivled old plain 53cm torpedo weizing in the dusty corner.

What you fail to realize here, is that I haven't taken anything way. I've given you the best weapon the game against surface targets and *balanced* the sub vs sub fights which will make them more INTERESTING. Why haven't I hear any Western divers complaining about this? [Editors note: increasing the range of the UGST sounds good to me, so I'm now contradicting myself. I'm fine with that... hehe] Maybe because they don't want to deal with the same 65cm 20nm guided crap with subrocs droping at 25nm. Now, I will admit, that I'm not playing this game online, but I would guess that this is what it comes down to, often to sometimes enough.

Now, platform specific tactics might come into play more, maybe.

/end rant

I plan on playing this game online soon, so you can make me eat it then. :up:

LuftWolf
08-25-05, 02:06 AM
Plus, you also fail to realize that if an Akula actually sticks a sub with one of these, it is dead 99% of the time.

It's not that hard. Think about possible tactics... hmm, let's see, it ignors thermal layers completely, so maybe you fire it near the layer depth, maybe you fire one 50 meters below and one 50 meters above, thinking you will catch him trying to maneover from layer to layer after you fire it. Maybe you do it at close range? Maybe at medium and spread out the shots? Follow up with subrocs ahead of dropped decoys? Maybe you fire it in combination with active wire guided torpedos to get him to leave a strong wake?

Maybe you try to lure him into shallow water, so you don't have to worry about depth, and interfere with his sonar?

Bellman
08-25-05, 02:25 AM
Hope my remarks to Fish about a certain bird did'nt induce 'Bird Flu' :D
I misunderstood him he meant a person - I though he refered to a bird which repeats itself :lol: .....................
so hence my 'Dead parrot'. This did not in any way allude to your nice mod., which is very much alive and flying. :rock:

Is the 65 stuck in game with the 900 kg warhead - cant that be changed ? :hmm:

Well to be more positive the UGST is very cool and would be super cool if, as Amizaur has suggested elsewhere,
it had a little bit more range. ;)

The wakehomer will be (is) awesome v surfs and the 'transients' very neat. :|\

Good work - sorry to seem picky. :roll: :o :sunny:

LuftWolf
08-25-05, 02:28 AM
I'm humorously posting, of course, way late at night. :|\ :|\ :smug:

I want to make the game reflect reality in a balanced manner, so in light of all the other stuff from the other poll, I think you guys are all making sense.

I just want to see some distinction between the 65cm and the multipurpose torpedo used on the Akula. To me, the game works better with the 53cm functioning in the multipurpose role.

Adm. Ahab
08-25-05, 12:24 PM
I am all for a more realistic presentation of the weapons. I had been forcing myself to use the 53's for ASW Smaller ASuW but they were too slow. I am glad they reworked more to the UGST specs. I don't think I lost the 65 so much as gained the 53 (UGST) :up: I drive mostly AK1imp and sometimes 688. No Sea Witch for me ;) ..... Would be nice if the torpedoes fed targeting info back to OS. Or you could direct them above/below layer (like in Red Storm Rising) and they increased to max speed on activation or homing.

Amizaur
08-25-05, 03:27 PM
Enabling data feedback from torpedo to the sub is possible. It would work exactly like UUV. Unfortunately this means very great number of new contacts from torpedo (mostly passive) and quite a mess on map, but helps a lot in choosing real target from decoys :-). Disabling passive sensor for active torps would help in decreasing number of new contacts to acceptable value, but means also "dumber" torpedo, currently active torps use both sensors simultaneously and this increases effectiveness, that's why launching passive decoys is important too :-).
Unfortunately for you, from what I know UGST has one-way datalink, only steering commands are transmitted to torpedo, no data is transmitted back to the ship.
Increased speed on activation and homing is possible and was used in SCX doctrines for example. My ADCAP doctrine uses it too. If I find some really free time, I'll make variations of my ADCAP mod for few most important player torpedos, with range, speed and depth depending from each other and simulated finite guidance wire length. Adding new features to it is just mater of more work and this how complicated the controls could be for player...
Theoretically you could program into doctrine possiblity to change ALL torpedo parameters in flight (speed, mode active/passive, depth, even ceiling and floor), the problem is that there is exstremly low number of tools you can use to send those commands to torpedo (doctrine), the only possible tools is "enable/preenable" button and torpedo course arrows < >. You could control all torpedo parameters this way but this whould be extremally complicated, and would feel like programming an old non-OSD video ;-), long manual would be needed and you would be never sure at which mode the torpedo actually is if you made error in counting "clicks"... If there was one more custom button and better yet a button and second custom left/right type control (like for torp course), then it would be MUCH more simple to implement and - more important - to use by player. Is adding one button and one <> control to Fire Control screen difficult for a programmer ?