PDA

View Full Version : Is UUV usage by the player an exploit?

MarkShot
08-10-05, 09:18 PM
I recently just started (learned to) use the UUV {mainly in SCXIIC}. My results have improved tremendously. I am able shoot much sooner, accurately wire guide my weapon at most critical moments, and avoid enemy counter-fire if it should come to that.

Given the big impact that employing UUVs makes would you consider this to be a player exploit? {Do some refrain from as a matter of "house rules"?}

Thanks.

TLAM Strike
08-10-05, 09:25 PM
With UUVs you get TIWs (In DW atleast) so you just gave bearing to the other guy.

MarkShot
08-10-05, 09:31 PM
Just to be clear - in am talking about SP.

Bellman
08-11-05, 12:39 AM
:) Nup - SS put it in your weapons loadout store, so I guess they meant you to use it. :hmm:

Kapitan
08-11-05, 01:19 AM
i dont know realy dont realy use the UUV

JamesT73J
08-11-05, 05:14 AM
Can be a double-edged sword.

It will usually detect you immediately, cluttering your plot, not to mention all the contacts you may alread have precise TMA on. It's also possible that it can mask your sonar on whatever bearing it is relative to you.

The TIW warning isn't really a no-no in single player, but a dead giveaway online.

James

Fish
08-11-05, 07:39 AM
FYI, the UUV launched deep and hold there won't give TIW.
It only give TIW when it start cavitating. :|\ :know:

Bellman
08-11-05, 08:33 AM
Fish :up: :|\ :ping:

Bellman
08-11-05, 08:39 AM
:D An afterthought - is it possible to launch torps slow and deep and avoid TIW ? :hmm:

Never seen it - never done it but.......? :roll:

Kapitan
08-11-05, 08:40 AM
possibly but doubtful i dont launch torpedos any deeper than 400 meters unless i realy have to i prefer to do it the old way ie come to periscope depth and fire :D

Takeda Shingen
08-11-05, 08:46 AM
possibly but doubtful i dont launch torpedos any deeper than 400 meters unless i realy have to i prefer to do it the old way ie come to periscope depth and fire :D

Kind of silly in sub v sub combat.

Kapitan
08-11-05, 08:53 AM
i was meaning sub v surface sub v sub then its totaly diffrent i got a set agenda which i normaly stick by its one of those if you do this i do that sort of things

i do certain routes to certain places i do certain weapons for certain missions i do all sorts of things its like a channel i dont real deviate from it unless i have to because i know my systerm works

timmyg00
08-11-05, 08:55 AM
:D An afterthought - is it possible to launch torps slow and deep and avoid TIW ? :hmm:

Never seen it - never done it but.......? :roll: No. I don't think the torpedo's motor noise is reduced by launching it at slow speed (in the sim).

TG

Takeda Shingen
08-11-05, 08:56 AM
I believe they were talking about ASW, not ASUW. There is little need for a decoy when combating a platform that you will always detect first.

Kapitan
08-11-05, 08:58 AM
not always i didnt detect a 90,000 tonne aircraft carrier and what happend slammed right into me

Takeda Shingen
08-11-05, 09:01 AM
*cough*Captainerror*cough*

Kapitan
08-11-05, 09:03 AM
wasnt error i did dectect the ship 20 miles away well part of the task force only i failed to detect the carrier properly and popped up to PD and then i noticed a great grey lump heading to me so anyones fault its the sonars

Bellman
08-11-05, 09:19 AM
:) Appoligise to Mark - as we have drifted from UUV to TIW, but I really am going to miss the tactical
flexibility that the extended torp control options gave you in SCX. both in depth and speed.

As I am unable to return to MP yet in DW, I have to ask - has anyone noticed any new features in MP with TIWs.
I gather their now received at unrealisticaly extended ranges ?

Is launch behind a seamount or iceberg effective in avoiding TIWs ?
Any tips any techniques - I am as blotting paper. :hmm:

OKO
08-11-05, 09:29 AM

Never seen it - never done it but.......? :roll: No. I don't think the torpedo's motor noise is reduced by launching it at slow speed (in the sim).

TG

it is Timmy
try an ADCAP launch, with one at 55knts and the other at 40 knts
sent them to 15 miles and return them to your position
You will see, at same distance, the 40 knts torp is quieter than the 55knts one on your sonar.

Bellman
08-11-05, 09:32 AM
:) My question related to avoiding TIWs.

Bellman
08-11-05, 09:35 AM
..............as I have no way of testing in MP .
No MP facility and no second PC + Lan ! :down:

Kapitan
08-11-05, 09:35 AM
simple you cant theres no way unless you switch off sonar you can avoid a TIW it will sho up 100000 meters away or 10 meters away if the torpedo has to cavitate to get to target it will show no matter what

OKO
08-11-05, 09:48 AM
Well ... sending a slower torp will delay the TIW for your target
but as soon as the sonar operator could see the fish, you will have TIWS, you, and even all AI plateforms with sonar.

You could try some tests to look at best things to delay the TIW
On surface ships, I saw that launching a passive torp slower than original speed will give you a very high probability to hit the target =>
- passive seeker have wide range
- TIW is delayed for the engaged target (especially usefull with warships ...) and it will react too late to avoid the torps.

You just have to avoid collateral damage (guiding torps), as the seeker in passive is really attracted by the louder sounds.
And without guided torps, to open the seeker at the right moment (close to the target).

Passive generally (not all ....) need to slow down
but on MP sub vs sub fight, you never use passive, but you can slow your torps down to let them give a thinner track on the ennemy sonar .... and to delay the TIWS (if you are at long range from him)

Bellman
08-11-05, 11:08 AM
:) We are talking sub v sub TIWs ?

OKO wrote :-
'Well ... sending a slower torp will delay the TIW for your target.'

How ? If its not speed or range related.

'You could try some tests to look at best things to delay the TIW'

Not in MP, for me and SP AI responses very variable.

'but on MP sub vs sub fight, you never use passive'

MP players used them to great effect in sub v sub with 1.8 - I think I read they have toned down their 'sensitivity' in DW.

It seems to me that baffled areas have no effect on TIWs as you still get them from torp launch
bearings which should be baffled. :hmm:

Fish
08-11-05, 12:53 PM
..............as I have no way of testing in MP .
No MP facility and no second PC + Lan ! :down:
You can do what ever you want to do behind islands and seamounts, even active pining.
Nothing will be heard the other side.

Fish
08-11-05, 12:55 PM

Never seen it - never done it but.......? :roll:
No, that is... till +/- 40 nm.

Amizaur
08-11-05, 01:31 PM

Well, I've tried this in test MP game, launched torps as deep as I could (2100ft in a Seawolf) and the other player still got TIW message...
Torps seemed to not cavitate at this depth.
One more thing I have to check is to fire them at very low speed (10kts or so) but with standard game doctrines there is no way to speed them up later so it's useless even if it worked...

timmyg00
08-11-05, 01:56 PM

TG

it is Timmy
try an ADCAP launch, with one at 55knts and the other at 40 knts
sent them to 15 miles and return them to your position
You will see, at same distance, the 40 knts torp is quieter than the 55knts one on your sonar. That's good news, although I'm not sure it will have much effect at typical engagement ranges ;)

TG