PDA

View Full Version : FFG TMA Passive Bearing Lines

PeriscopeDepth
07-29-05, 03:20 AM
Is there any way to extend the LOB for passive contacts in the FFG? It always draws them to 10,000 yards or so, and I can't find a way to stretch them out.

Thanks

Zerogreat
08-04-05, 07:26 AM
AFAIK it is not possible now. Maybe the new patch will make a difference, who knows ;)

Dr.Sid
08-04-05, 07:54 AM
Why would you need that ?

OKO
08-04-05, 11:03 AM
I presume you talk about the LOB of the TA.
As long as you didn't worked on the TMA plot, it will stay with 10 miles LOB length, as it is a graphic charts.
But, of course, if you proceed the TMA of the contact, you can plot the contact accuratly on NAV
to have LOB more than 10 just represent no interest at all.
If you want more accurate information, do the TMA.

PeriscopeDepth
08-05-05, 07:56 AM
Why would you need that ?

Because it's possible that contacts are more than 10,000 yards away.

I presume you talk about the LOB of the TA.
As long as you didn't worked on the TMA plot, it will stay with 10 miles LOB length, as it is a graphic charts.
But, of course, if you proceed the TMA of the contact, you can plot the contact accuratly on NAV
to have LOB more than 10 just represent no interest at all.
If you want more accurate information, do the TMA.

Kinda tough to do it that way as only one LOB will show at a time. Hopefully it will be looked at in the patch.

OKO
08-05-05, 10:06 AM
Kinda tough to do it that way as only one LOB will show at a time. Hopefully it will be looked at in the patch.

?? on NAV screen you always see the last LOB but on TMA you got them all.
I don't see anything to patch here ... it's as designed.

Zerogreat
08-05-05, 10:18 AM

?? on NAV screen you always see the last LOB but on TMA you got them all.
I don't see anything to patch here ... it's as designed.

BUT the lines on FFG's TMA are sometimes too short, thats the point :doh:

OKO
08-05-05, 11:31 AM
Remember the TMA plot size is 25kyds
so what do you expect with longer LOB in TMA ?
to gain 2 miles to make TMA on the edge of the plotting table ??
I personally use OHP TA only to ID the target.
If it's a surface target, you don't need the TMA as you rely on radar for target position
If it's a sub you better use active sonar once identified
so, I don't get your point ...

Dr.Sid
08-05-05, 11:48 AM
I never needed that too ..

PeriscopeDepth
08-05-05, 11:54 AM
Remember the TMA plot size is 25kyds
so what do you expect with longer LOB in TMA ?
to gain 2 miles to make TMA on the edge of the plotting table ??
I personally use OHP TA only to ID the target.
If it's a surface target, you don't need the TMA as you rely on radar for target position
If it's a sub you better use active sonar once identified
so, I don't get your point ...

Just because that's the way you do it doesn't mean others wouldn't prefer to do it a different way.

And you don't gain two miles. Read my first post, I said 10,000 yards not 10 miles. The lines are drawn at around 10,500 yards. Which is about 5 1/4 nm. Drawing them all the way out to 25,000 yards would be 12.5 nm. That's a 7.25 nm gain.

It'd just be easier to line up the ruler on the LOBs if the LOBs were actually there to line the ruler speed marks up to.

OKO
08-05-05, 12:03 PM
And you don't gain two miles. Read my first post, I said 10,000 yards not 10 miles. The lines are drawn at around 10,500 yards. Which is about 5 1/4 nm. Drawing them all the way out to 25,000 yards would be 12.5 nm. That's a 7.25 nm gain.

It'd just be easier to line up the ruler on the LOBs if the LOBs were actually there to line the ruler speed marks up to.

you right : it's only 5 miles on the plotting table.
As I never make a TMA with the fregate TA, I never watch this.
So you have right : these lines should be 20000 yards long on the plotting table, that is true.

PeriscopeDepth
08-05-05, 12:10 PM

you right : it's only 5 miles on the plotting table.
As I never make a TMA with the fregate TA, I never watch this.
So you have right : these lines should be 20000 yards long on the plotting table, that is true.

In the patch suggestions thread it goes. :)