PDA

View Full Version : The radar switching ON automatically bug

vils
07-21-05, 04:45 PM
Is there any way to disable the radar from switching on automatically when you surface the ship? (besides of not installing it ofcourse)

We all know that if radar is used within allied aircover (even 1 sec) you are pretty sure an airstrike will come quite soon.

((this is a crosspost from SH3 official forum))

rulle34
07-21-05, 05:10 PM
Hello!
Have you installed patch 1.4b? This thing is fixed in that patch so the radar stays in the same way you last used it. If radar is off when you dive, the radar is still off when you surface.

/Rulle

vils
07-22-05, 12:57 AM
Uhh, this cannot be. Im using latest patch, but it goes on all the time, so if its fixed its not fixed good enough i fear.

Could anybody else confirm this. If my game is faulty i have to reinstall it (for the 5th time! :) )

tycho102
07-22-05, 08:03 AM
Wow. I think I wish I had your problem. Mine is that when there's heavy waves, it's always shutting off on me.

The Avon Lady
07-22-05, 08:17 AM
Wow. I think I wish I had your problem. Mine is that when there's heavy waves, it's always shutting off on me.
This is normal. Been discussed several times in many threads. Waves affect the radio, too. This is working as designed and has nothing to do with mods.

vils
07-22-05, 03:01 PM
OK i came up with the solution. I started a new career from scratch with latest patch and RUB, and its working exellent! (no reinstall)

What i dont understand is, my old career when loading was like load version 1.2. It simply disabled all fixes for latest patch 1.3.

So alittle warning to folks that has careers spanning over several versions. Its very unstable.

Strange. Very Strange.

Jungman
07-23-05, 11:53 PM
We all know that if radar is used within allied aircover (even 1 sec) you are pretty sure an airstrike will come quite soon.

Are you sure? I see nothing that detects your radar in game. Use it all the time. It does not matter.

The same goes for using the keel depth sonar or the S-Gerat sonar to range distance to target with a ping. The target does NOT pick up the sound as stated in the manual.

Anyone confirm this too?

Jungman
07-24-05, 02:49 AM
This Radar Detection is not given to any enemy airplane or ship.

;Radar Warning
[Sensor 9]
NodeName=C01
LinkName=NULL
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19451231

But maybe you could add it in...... :hmm:

So keep your radar on all you want. No one is listening for it.

Catfish
07-24-05, 07:23 AM
Hello Jungman,
no, we should not fix it because there was no detection device for U-boat radars used by the allies in reality. German U-boat commanders only thought it would give away their position and therefore did not use it too often.
Thanks for the mods,
and greetings,
Catfish

SeaSlug_U999
07-25-05, 08:09 AM
Hello Jungman,
no, we should not fix it because there was no detection device for U-boat radars used by the allies in reality. German U-boat commanders only thought it would give away their position and therefore did not use it too often.
Thanks for the mods,
and greetings,
Catfish

Hmmm, apparently the guys from History Channel agree with you. I wonder, if the same thing happened with the (active) sonar. I'm really enjoying launching without periscope, solely on H/S data. It works fine, and your stealthiness is not compromised (especially after late '43 when a scope 1m above a calm sea surface would attract DDs and aircraft like moths to a light). :ping:

So were the Tommies able to pick up Uboot pings? An educated guess would be yes, since they had quite good passive sensors able to detect your propellers/engine noises. Any thoughts?

Catfish
07-25-05, 09:08 AM
Hello,
yes the "Tommies" would have been able to detect sonar pings, but since only the XXI type had active sonar for direction and distance they were not able to hear it - the XXI type never saw active service in a real attack situation.
Greetings,
Catfish

SeaSlug_U999
07-25-05, 09:22 AM
Yeah, makes sense. Thus you can ping mad, the SH3 engine does not care. Same with the Radar.

I'm gonna use more the depth pinger, when I am in shallow waters to avoid rubing my nose in the sand :lol:

Thanks man!

joea
07-25-05, 09:27 AM
No that's not what Catfish meant. Just the XXI never saw service. The DDs WILL hear your depth ping ... happened to me. I tried the stcok mission with the XXI and used the acvite sonar and got myself detected too.

They also can hear your grammophone. :know:

Radar a different story.

Jungman
07-25-05, 10:02 AM
How can the DD hear anything when they have no detectors to pick that up? They do not hear that stuff on the Hydrophones, it is not modelled in the game.

I ping for depth right next to a DD and they never do anything. I hit them with active sonar to range and they just sit there. :-?

I think they should be react with chance to hear you doing it, but the game engine does not in my experience pick up any sound from your subs depth under keel, or acitve sonar range pings to target.

joea
07-25-05, 10:17 AM
Well they should...and my experience is different. Will test tonight.

vils
07-26-05, 12:09 PM
Hmm this is really strange, i mean, its do states in the manual that you get detectedd by using radar, and also, you can install a radar-detector so i dont understand why the allies shouldnt have the same device?

My experience telle me they do, but i gues i have to investigate further aswelll :P

Jungman
07-26-05, 03:51 PM
The SNS files for the Destoyers are there. But all the entries for say a radar dectector is NULL. They have no way to detect your radar or active sonar.

We could mod them back in, but they may not use them. They generally do not need them in game. Default enemy radar range is max about 17 km to detect you, and your sub's radar warning is only from 4 km to 10km in game. The enemy DD will by default pick you up first by radar before you ever see them coming for you. Airplanes love this with their speed to pounce you.

I another thread I made changes to the Radar Warning devices to make them longer range. It works good.

Run test and see what you get. ASIAK they do not pick up radar usage from my Uboat or sonar. Then again my files are modded so I could be wrong. Won't be the first time. :shifty:

Seminole
07-28-05, 09:05 AM
Well they should...and my experience is different.

Mine too...both sounding pings, grammaphone noise, and radar.

Jungman
07-28-05, 02:43 PM

Can you clarify? Do you mean it does attract the DD underwater, and using you active radar on the surface attract the DD? You ractive radar is really bad in game. As is now it only goes from like 4 km to 10 km max....

Capn Tucker
07-28-05, 09:40 PM

Can you clarify? Do you mean it does attract the DD underwater, and using you active radar on the surface attract the DD? You ractive radar is really bad in game. As is now it only goes from like 4 km to 10 km max....

Well, the real radar was... really bad. A max range of 4 miles for the Fumo 30 was pathetic compared to the Allied ASV sets. The lack of decent radar was one of the greatest contributing factors in the German defeat. Since the game radars ARE so useless, you're better off without them...