PDA

View Full Version : SCU and TA?

MarkShot
07-14-05, 02:30 PM
It seems that most SCU platforms have two TA arrays. Generally, which one should be used for sensitivity and which one for speed?

Thanks.

Ultraboy
07-14-05, 08:37 PM
Port for sensitivity, starboard for speed.

I believe if the sub you are using only has one towed array, it is on the starboard side by default. I once tried switching to port array on a Victoria/Upholder class, and I just got a weird waterfall display and strange noises.

edit: Note, what I said at the top there is only a guideline based on the 688i and Seawolf classes, I don't know it to be true of every platform. :)

Kapitan
07-19-05, 01:20 AM
akula you can run at flank unlike most arrays but over 18 knots its useless

Bellman
07-19-05, 02:21 AM
Adding to Ultraboys '' Port...'' It is of course the reverse in SC and DW. ;)

The Ak will not lose her TA at flank and Pelamida TA washout, in game, occurs at 12-13 knots. :huh:

Compare SW in DW Port TA 16-17 kn. Stbd. is the same as the Ak.

Ultraboy
07-19-05, 09:05 PM
Actually it's not opposite, I think I just had it backwards, at least for the Seawolf.

Seawolf Towed Arrays
STARBOARD - AN/TB-29D - More sensitive
PORT - AN/TB-16D - Less sensitive

As far as the 688i goes, it should either have a combination of the TB-16 and TB-23, or, TB-16 and TB-29. I thought I had read somewhere that the 16 was on the starboard side, but now I can't seem to confirm that.

Just for the record though, on the Seawolf, the washout speed is higher for the port array than the starboard, but I notice NO difference between them in either narrowband or broadband as far as detection is concerned. So my advice, is don't worry about which one you're using. :)

Bellman
07-19-05, 09:50 PM
MarkShot posed a question about SCU which is used with SCX.

In SCX the SW TAs positions were reversed:-

PORT - AN/TB-29D - More sensitive
STARBOARD- AN/TB-16D - Less sensitive

In DW and SC ''the reverse'' is true of the SW :-

STARBOARD - AN/TB-29D - More sensitive
PORT - AN/TB-16D - Less sensitive

Hope this claryfies.

Ultraboy
07-20-05, 03:03 PM
Ah, so my initial instinct was right, but once I checked into it I started second-guessing myself because all the documentation referred to vanilla SC. Thanks for clearing up.