PDA

View Full Version : Where is this a/c type?

HMCS
07-13-05, 12:52 AM
I was just wondering where this beast is at....

Perhaps the air modders would like to take a crack at it...

http://www.aviationtrivia.homestead.com/files/BeaufighterA.jpg

Catfish
07-13-05, 02:30 AM
Hello,
are Beaufighters already in the game ? Never saw one ....
Greetings,
Catfish

HMCS
07-13-05, 02:33 AM
I don't think they are - I haven't seen one, and they aren't in the library.

If you see one, it won't be for long :o

Catfish
07-13-05, 06:04 AM
Hello,
if you're close enough to identify this plane as a Bristol ... ;)
I remember versions with a big cannon mounted under the fuselage (?), and with rockets under the wings.
Greetings,
Catfish

Pablo
07-13-05, 06:50 AM
Catfish,

As far as I know, the Bristol Beaufighter didn't have an under-fuselage cannon mount. The anti-shipping "torpedo fighter" version carried a torpedo (an anti-submarine version would carry 2 x 250-lb. bombs), with four 20mm cannon and six 0.303-caliber machine guns for strafing your FlaK gunners. Source: Weale, et al. Combat Aircraft of World War II, Bracken Books, 1977.

Some versions were equipped to carry rockets, but I don't think rockets are modelled in the game- maybe a rapid-fire barrage of two 5-inch guns each with four rounds of ammunition?

Perhaps you are thinking of the Henschel Hs-129, with similar appearance, that carried a 37mm cannon under its fuselage?

Pablo

caspofungin
07-13-05, 10:00 PM
he might be thinking of the "Tetse" Mosquito -- equipped w/ a rapid fire 6 pounder gun, specifically designed to take out surfaced U-boats.

Points for obscurity?

oRGy
07-14-05, 05:12 AM
http://www.compass.dircon.co.uk/Beaufighter.htm

(good pics/diagrams on that site)

The Beaufighter Mk I's armament consisted of four 20-mm cannon in the underside of the forward fuselage, and six 0.303 machine-guns in the wings.

Many of the Mk IC version were modified to carry bombs , and the aircraft was so successful in Mediterranean operations against enemy shipping, aircraft and ground targets that Coastal Command became the major user of the Beaufighter, which replaced its Beauforts and Blenheim Mk IV's.

Using a gyro-angling device and a radio altimeter the Beaufighter could make precision attacks at wave-top height with torpedoes or rockets. Early Mk X's carried ASV (air-to-surface vessel) radar, but this was eventually replaced by AI Mark VIII radar, adapted for use against surface targets, and housed in a 'thimble-nose' radome.

The six wing-mounted machine-guns had been deleted from Coastal Command Beaufighters to make room for extra fuel, but production Mk X's were equipped with a manually-aimed 0.303-inch (7.7 mm) Browning or Vickers K machine-gun in the observer's position. In the Mk X the lack of the wing-mounted guns was also compensated for by an increased capacity of 283 rounds for the 20-mm cannon (compared with 240 rounds for earlier marks of Beaufighter).

Underwing racks for two 250-lb (114-kg) bombs or eight rockets had been introduced on modified Mk VIC's. These became standard on the Mk X.

HMCS
07-14-05, 10:49 PM
A career killer... :dead: