PDA

View Full Version : TopTorp's TMA Guide

Nexus7
07-26-05, 04:04 AM
When it comes to torpedo detonation, there must either be a target hull to hit or there must be a hull that can offset the torpedoe's magnetic field. There is no such countermeasure that can replicate the hull of a target or the magnetic field required to offset the torpedoe's magnetic feature. I think there are some ships that can drag some kind of wire mesh behind itself, thus making it impossible for the torpedo to home completely to the target.

I think the game programmers should include the weapon's mode in the Fire Control Weapons Display after TOF. So, if the torpedo is homing on a C/M, then the operator should see the indication in the display. There should be a data window that indicates the weapons mode of operation: RTE, Search, CM Homing, Homing, WPN ARMED. There should also be a data window that indicates the bearing & range to the target. This information is critical in post-launch analysis and determines whether the weapon should be shut down or steered.

Also, there needs to be a data window that indicates the torpedoe's course, speed and depth as it is done in actual experience.

Since ADCAP is capable of computing its own TMA, there should be a window that shows the ADCAP's TMA solution for the target it is homing on.

That are some excellent comments :rock:
There once was a DW wish list where i put exactly those features as wish #1 :)

Maybe in a future version this will be implemented. IMHO those features play a key role and can't be denied, for the simple fact that the most of the time is spent in positioning ownship, playing the hide and seek game, wait for the best possible moment to engage your target ecc. ecc.
All this takes a lot of time and if well done (IMHO) is 90% of the total efforts.

Now i have the impression that it is much less that 90% but 20-30%, the restly 70-80% is
- nail countermeasures position
- cross fingers heavily
- guess on ARMED/ NON ARMED based on visible torpedo trace history
- cross fingers again
- usually fail
- restart from SOG.

The weakness of the current fire control, combined with science fiction countermeasures, does IMHO shrink gaming enthusiasm greatly (at least for myself, and not only (see poll)).

All this is ridicolous, as from what i read here, and from what one would reasonably expect too, the torp can do his job very very well... on his own, and we're not supposed to start TMA on threat's countermeasures :nope: :down: