PDA

View Full Version : September Update

xXNightEagleXx
09-12-17, 04:37 PM
September Updates link (http://steamcommunity.com/games/494840/announcements/detail/1450578697244774346)

http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/images/clans/25728714/15ef19c45322e4bbe7f2d9e7d85a3aaabe15ec43.png

Some of the highlights:
Detection

WW2 subsim games are all about sneaking and hiding and our detection mechanics had to evolve appropriately. From now on there are 7 detection mechanisms: visual, passive sound, active sound, radar, radar detector, radio and information (from HQ or other allies). Most of them can be either direct or indirect.

Indirect detection in UBOOT means that specific objects in group cannot be distinguished. Your crew may spot a smoke at the horizon or just hear some distant group on the hydrophone. What you know is that there is a group of something out there and depending on the detection method you may know, if these are ships or airplanes, estimate the size of the group, its position and even speed.

In general there are many factors affecting the detection chance. Some examples of factors that are implemented in UBOOT:

Smoke screens, regular smoke from fires, fogs and physical objects block the line of sight.
Detonated depth charges, shadow zones, seabed proximity, physical objects and stealthy hull covers affect sonar detection.
Devices on the ship, shadow zones, propeller cavitation and surface proximity affect hydrophone detection.
Radio transmissions make all destroyers go in your direction. Weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=UNmswsNumNc

Onkel Neal
09-12-17, 10:21 PM
Man, that video is the bomb! :Kaleun_Applaud:

maillemaker
09-12-17, 10:36 PM
I've been out of the u-boat loop for a while now - this sure looks awesome!

Steve

Carotio
09-13-17, 12:48 AM
This may get me back to play again, if it's full war and all uboat types, like it was with sh3.

steevo45
09-13-17, 02:03 AM
Looks fantastic though the torpedoing of the merchant ship from so close is totally unrealistic!

xXNightEagleXx
09-13-17, 03:14 AM
Man, that video is the bomb! :Kaleun_Applaud:

Thanks Captain for editing my post and make it professional :up: :salute:

xXNightEagleXx
09-13-17, 03:18 AM
Guys i cannot stress it enough, if you have suggestions and/or doubt don't hesitate to talk to them over steam. They really listen to the community and by listen i mean if your suggestion is vital and important they really implement it even if it takes some efforts.
So if you have suggestion to do, do it know while they are still open to changes and implementation.

JotDora
09-13-17, 04:47 AM
The Gameplay Idea is very interesting, but man... that 3D Model of the Sub is not what I would expect in 2017 :o

Niume
09-13-17, 08:39 AM
guys what are the vertical tubes on turm with pirate flag ??

fullmetaledges
09-13-17, 08:49 AM
Take my money.

nihilcat
09-13-17, 08:53 AM
guys what are the vertical tubes on turm with pirate flag ??

These are two 13,2mm Flak guns. We're pretty sure that these were being locked inside those long water tight containers directly below them and we're going to implement that into the game soon.

Pelle71
09-16-17, 03:32 AM
September Updates link (http://steamcommunity.com/games/494840/announcements/detail/1450578697244774346)

http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/images/clans/25728714/15ef19c45322e4bbe7f2d9e7d85a3aaabe15ec43.png

Some of the highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=UNmswsNumNc

Nice, but the uboat is nott sitting right in the water, and torpedo attacs from 50m... Explotions who fade out after two sec, and Everything is too "fast" Slow it down.

SS Norholm
09-17-17, 03:03 AM
+1 on the lack of damage effects, also why are some of the crew Hobbit sized!?
Hope it all gets sorted, looks like an interesting game.

Niume
09-17-17, 08:10 AM

yeah especialy at conning tower.

makman94
09-17-17, 04:30 PM
nice graphics but empty gameplay

crew prattle all over the place. Sorry guys but i don't see any interesting in this,in fact ,i was bored looking at this video (exept the nice graphics which are ,indeed, the best i have seen so far)

Sung
09-18-17, 01:08 AM
That game looks awsome and has a nice new gameplay.
I like it very much.

Go on with the good work!
:yeah:

Xaron
09-18-17, 01:13 AM
never mind... I had the impression this is a small dev thing so...

TDK1044
09-18-17, 05:18 AM
Very much so. There are still months of development work ahead. This small Dev team has one programmer, and he is very interactive on the UBoot Discord page. Changes have already been made as a result of input there. This game will have its own flavor. It won't be Silent Hunter 6, but it is going to be a great game. :)

Sailor Steve
09-18-17, 10:17 AM

yeah especialy at conning tower.
They aren't. Some of them are standing on the conning tower deck. The others are standing on the raised platforms for spotters. Watch again from the 4:00 minute mark where you walk from the wintergarten to the tower. You are also "hobbit-sized" until you step up onto the platform.

TDK1044
09-18-17, 01:33 PM
The foundation of this game is crew management, and as such, some who are used to the Silent Hunter series may not like the flavor. Personally, I find it refreshing.....especially the use of first person perspective. :)

qiaoyech
09-18-17, 06:47 PM
The foundation of this game is crew management, and as such, some who are used to the Silent Hunter series may not like the flavor. Personally, I find it refreshing.....especially the use of first person perspective. :)

Very much so! This speaks well for their creativity. Their small but dedicated team had certainly done the homework around the sub as well. It's my currently most anticipated game for next year.

tonschk
09-20-17, 11:43 AM
Amazing , I like it very much, well done :yeah::salute::up:

iambecomelife
09-21-17, 06:20 PM
Very much enthused by what I have seen! :D I am sure that, if the crewmen figures are too small, they will be resized before release.

I was glad to see survivors make an appearance for the first time - nice touch.

I also liked seeing sickness occurring - not enough games factor in human problems like that; obviously, a sick or unhappy crew will not be very effective at your end goal (sinking ships).

Really hoping for a wide variety of different merchant ships in the final version! Also, lots of dramatic particle effects (better fire, explosion, and torpedo hits).

Hopefully the torpedoes will not arm at close distances - the one fired in the video would probably have been a dud. Just a minor critism; great work. :up:

fastfed
09-23-17, 11:23 AM
while I love indy games, it better not be some early release garbage ! I've wasted enough money on games that will never finish

TDK1044
09-24-17, 09:16 AM
while I love indy games, it better not be some early release garbage ! I've wasted enough money on games that will never finish

The opposite actually. The Steam community keeps wanting it released asap, but the Devs have months of work to do yet, and their publisher is backing them. When the game is released next year, it will be in good shape. :)

GoldenRivet
09-25-17, 10:28 PM
The opposite actually. The Steam community keeps wanting it released asap, but the Devs have months of work to do yet, and their publisher is backing them. When the game is released next year, it will be in good shape. :)

next year??

they seek perfection while the fan base loses interest. you can only dangle food in front of a dog so many times before it loses interest and knows you're teasing.

in all seriousness, id rather they took their time and released a good product. BUT... no matter what they release it will not make the whole community happy. lets face it... Silent Hunter III which was released in 2005 has been continuously modded and developed into its perpetual penultimate version over and over and over again. if they seek a perfect release it will never be released at all.

they have repeatedly pushed this release back. i was anxiously waiting release in April but here it is almost October and we are still waiting.

hell i would gladly write a lengthy review of the product to be published exclusively here at subsim in this dedicated sub forum just to be able to evaluate the current version of the build. of course i would have to feel the game out for about a week in order to do so. unfortunately, if anyone were to review it right now, it may be a substantially different game come release date.

TDK1044
09-26-17, 05:15 AM
When Uboot began its journey, it was a couple of guys with an idea, who were looking for funding to make that idea a reality. When a Publisher became interested, the game got fully funded and went in a new direction.

The Devs are not seeking perfection, but they are a small Dev team who have had to overcome the sad passing of a key member of the team. Another Dev was hospitalized recently but is now back on the project.

The game is very personal to them, and the release has been pushed into 2018. Based on the interest level in the Steam community, I think that it will sell well, and most of those stamping their feet like petulent children will end up buying the game when it's released, and will enjoy it hugely. :)

subsimlee
09-26-17, 10:20 AM
Graphics look promising except for TORPEDO IMPACTS...Should be larger, throw water and debris in a far higher and vertical column with a fiery nucleus....The explosion should be slightly slower after initial impact and linger in the air a bit longer. I expect these are fine tuning points yet to be addressed but developers please remember that the whole goal of the simulation is the satisfaction of obtaining these TORPEDO IMPACTS....They require your full attention or you will loose the interest of simmers like me...( and by the way, I'm an ex Canadian submariner who served on British "A" boats and have seen it all first hand....)

nihilcat
09-26-17, 10:25 AM
Graphics look promising except for TORPEDO IMPACTS...Should be larger, throw water and debris in a far higher and vertical column with a fiery nucleus....The explosion should be slightly slower after initial impact and linger in the air a bit longer. I expect these are fine tuning points yet to be addressed but developers please remember that the whole goal of the simulation is the satisfaction of obtaining these TORPEDO IMPACTS....They require your full attention or you will loose the interest of simmers like me...( and by the way, I'm an ex Canadian submariner who served on British "A" boats and have seen it all first hand....)

Noted :Kaleun_Salute: We will improve that for the next update.

SS Norholm
09-27-17, 06:04 AM
Noted :Kaleun_Salute: We will improve that for the next update.

There's not enough developers that listen to feedback, hats off to you guys! :Kaleun_Salute:

Got to be honest, along with RDR2 this is also my most anticipated title of 2018 too.
The more i watch, the more i love the dark gritty awesome look to it and the graphics.

brett25
09-27-17, 04:24 PM
make it very modifiable, thats the secret

TDK1044
09-28-17, 04:55 AM
It's going to be very moddable. :)

Elphaba
10-09-17, 11:31 PM
Is there any information on whether you can turn the NPC voices to English?

I understand 'realism' and 'authenticity' and I want and applaud both in my sim games, but I have zero interest in learning German, and making their voices German only or default is extraordinarily short-sighted.

Niume
10-15-17, 09:16 AM
The Nihilcat have been offline since september in discord I am worried a bit :(

Thresher
10-15-17, 09:21 AM
Everybody deserves a break.... I wouldn't worry!:Kaleun_Salute:

W.A.R.D.C_sOnar
10-21-17, 04:04 AM
...the torpedoing of the merchant ship from so close is totally unrealistic!

true. distatce was too close etc, but it is not a simulator - just another arcade game for kids with sweet external views for show. Maybe kids (big or small) get wet in panties - but not me.

I'm not interested in what is going on around my submarine because watching a movies is not a simulation. The graphics are good but it's just an arcade game. Maybe it will find its market when only few people played the full realism in the Silent Hunter series.

Its not a game for old fan of claustrophobia and full of realism. For me, realism is the feeling of what German soldiers felt inside the submarine.

Watching the U-boat around and tricks does not change the fact that it is an ARCADE type game and I will never change my mind about it.

PS. Sir, I see through the steel sheet of the depth charges on the right hand side we run to the left!

Sic (!) Seriously? It is not hard to conclude that the world of simulation is going down to the bottom.

Now graphic has become a level of realism. Physics and devotion to the historical realities have become void.

But... good luck! Nice graphics! Nothing more...

:Kaleun_Sleep: (dreaming about realistic U-boat simulation)

TDK1044
10-22-17, 08:14 AM
The Nihilcat have been offline since september in discord I am worried a bit :(

Marek is visible again. I think he'll keep a lower profile, but he's working hard on the game. :)

Ekaton
11-03-17, 07:52 PM
Well, I am a bit conflicted too. On one hand it looks nice and I love the crew management part, but on the other I am a grognard kind of a gamer who won't play a sim that's not as close to the real thing as possible.

With U-Boat sims the main danger is that they will market the game to the arcade kids who want to sink another ship every 10 minutes instead of having to conduct realistic patrols, planning your approach, identifying the target etc. Those may be boring for some but are what makes it satisfying.

Anyway, hope they will make this game adjustable so that grognards can have fun too.

TDK1044
11-06-17, 06:13 AM
Well, I am a bit conflicted too. On one hand it looks nice and I love the crew management part, but on the other I am a grognard kind of a gamer who won't play a sim that's not as close to the real thing as possible.

With U-Boat sims the main danger is that they will market the game to the arcade kids who want to sink another ship every 10 minutes instead of having to conduct realistic patrols, planning your approach, identifying the target etc. Those may be boring for some but are what makes it satisfying.

Anyway, hope they will make this game adjustable so that grognards can have fun too.

That's exactly what will make this game different and intriguing. The Devs are including a lot of elements that weren't present in the Silent Hunter series. You need to manage your crew and maintain your sub, or you'll find that there's the possibility of a mechanical failure of some kind when you need it least. Crew members can become sick and so on. Some players might find that the balance of crew management and sub maintenance to sinking ships isn't quite right for them, but the game is being designed to be incredibly moddable. If people approach the game with an open mind, and accept that this is not Silent Hunter 6, I think they'll discover a very enjoyable game. :)

Ekaton
11-07-17, 07:13 PM
That's exactly what will make this game different and intriguing. The Devs are including a lot of elements that weren't present in the Silent Hunter series. You need to manage your crew and maintain your sub, or you'll find that there's the possibility of a mechanical failure of some kind when you need it least. Crew members can become sick and so on. Some players might find that the balance of crew management and sub maintenance to sinking ships isn't quite right for them, but the game is being designed to be incredibly moddable. If people approach the game with an open mind, and accept that this is not Silent Hunter 6, I think they'll discover a very enjoyable game. :)

Those elements can certainly make the game more realistic and immersive and I'm really happy that someone inally included them. I meant things like the rate of encounters, the equipment, and the depiction of different systems - I would certainly want to see them as realistic as possible.

That being said, I do believe they can make it a great game, just hope they won't forget about grognards. :Kaleun_Salute: