PDA

View Full Version : Cold Waters tactic questions

PurpleCow
07-05-17, 11:42 AM
I had a few questions regarding Cold Waters and instead of making several posts I thought I would post them here as a group

Speed and Sound - In Cold Waters does it make any difference when traveling at 5 knots vs 10 knots? In-Game is there a threshold where you start to become easier to hear?

When are you in danger? - I find that when stalking enemy subs they will often time launch first towards me yet their torpedoes just get to where my sub was and tend to circle or run in a snake pattern? How does one tell when you are in trouble? If an enemy launches a bearing only torpeedo is it best to stay at 5 knots or is it better to increase speed though you will be making more noise?

Can the enemy hear you? - Is there any way to tell if the enemy target can hear you?

The Bandit
07-05-17, 12:24 PM
1. Yes. Not only are you louder at higher speeds, but it also washes out your own sonar and ability to detect enemies. Ultra quiet (Shift+S) is your friend.

2. You're always in danger, prepare accordingly. As far as torpedoes that seem to be snap-shots, two best tips for avoidance I can give you is to put the torpedo on your beam. The torpedo is faster than you, trying to out-run it is a foolish proposition, however putting it on your beam at 90* or 270* it can be very possible to escape its detection radius. Also try to get to a different depth than you think the torpedo is at or that you were at when the torp was shot (if you were deep come up shallow). It can be possible to go under / over a torpedo, or even do the old hunt for red october trick of running head on at the weapon and trying to get past it before it enables, but this is not advisable.

3. You need to look at the SNS COMP section of the classification screen. When you have classified a contact SNS COMP can tell you how well your target is hearing you both active and passive. +10 or so is detection value, so anything short of that and they probably haven't heard / located you yet. However once a contact does locate you, they can usually hold on all the way down to +1. Right now the SNS COMP is a little bit too good at what it does but not entirely unrealistic, especially for active sonar (even as far back as the Skipjack they had active-intercept which was basically like ESM for sonar, those all had signal analyzers so with a little guess work they could take a pretty good guess if the soundwaves that were bouncing off their hull had reached detection values or not.)

Aktungbby
07-05-17, 12:26 PM
PurpleCow!:Kaleun_Salute:After an eleven year silent run!

PurpleCow
07-05-17, 01:25 PM
Haaa! Thanks. I have been lurking all these years. Thanks for the awesome reply. I will have to learn more about SNS COMP.