PDA

View Full Version : Petition for developer (suggestions)

YoYo
06-09-17, 01:54 AM
Hello @Killerfish Games,

The first my contact with Cold Waters is very positive (aside from some of bugs ;) ). Thank You for this title, it was very cold last time with this subject of modern submarines.

BUT.

The title use many shortcuts, I think too many and no any icons on the main screen for many. Please do menu (You can hide it or not, resized ect, like in Silent Hunter) with segregated all commands as small icons from engine silent running to very fast, from release decoy to slide periscope, from course to depth ect.

This game needs this, needs the new "in game menu" I think. Please do Cold Waters more "user friendly" for us.

YoYo
06-09-17, 02:01 AM
Next I notice leak of voices of crew (confirmations of commands, infos about damages, infos about contacts ect). It's an important thing for good feeling and spirit of title like this. Text info not enough and for USSR future subs it will be very good idea too (now only for USA side).

oscar19681
06-09-17, 06:43 AM
If i may add a Couple.

Abilty to enter or leave port in 3D for inmerssion purposes.
More sounds for your sub ( passing test depth efc etc)
More detailed seafloor
More life in the ocean ( random fish , bio contacts on the sonar )
Animated torpedo hatches
3-d controll room for immersion purposes.
Simple crew management
3D sail view for when surfaced.

keltos01
06-09-17, 06:45 AM
The ability to set up way points to navigate

PL_Harpoon
06-10-17, 06:21 AM
Here are a few my recommendations (with explanations below):

1. Active intercept should be considered a contact.
I know that currently thy contribute to TMA if you already have established sonar contact but if your sonar can't detect any ships but you receive pings they should be assigned as contacts with low TMA rate. Perhaps when that contact is selected display sonar type on signal comparison screen during a ping. Also if you loose contact with an enemy but still receive pings it shouldn't disappear and the solution should stay at it's current rate until it turns/changes speed.
2. There should be a way to detect helicopters/aircraft other than using periscope.
My idea is to use ECM mast. I don't think you should be able to detect when a heli drops a dipping sonar but your ECM should detect it's radar and based on the strenght of a signal your crew should be able to estimate a range.
3. Add refuel/rearm mechanic to helicopters and aircraft
I just did some simple math and it turns out that a Helix helicopter should theoretically be able to stay airborne for about 4.7 hours, Hormone about 2. With Bears it's a little bit more tricky, but the distance from any Soviet air base to Iceland is about 2000 Km, so that would mean it could stay at any place between for about 9.7 hrs. (all data from wikipedia). But that's considering that they have just took off and flew straight to mission location. You could just start with those values and add a random multiplier to account for time spend before the encounter. Another thing you could add for the aircraft to rearm once they depleted their stores of torpedoes/depth charges. If it's a Bear it could mark your last known location, call another aircraft (that would arrive after, let's say, 10 - 60 minutes) and return for refit. The same would apply to helis, but they would return to home ship, for a 20 min rearm/refuel. Another thing is that if you destroy all ships with landing pads helicopters should immediately head for the nearest land (unless you're close to Soviet occupied territory)
4. Place insertion zones a little bit further from the ports.
It seems absurd to me that you need to put SEAL teams 2km from enemy ports. Any sane captain would just refuse to do that. I think it's ok to make port entrances heavily guarded but perhaps place patrol areas for surface ships and proximity mines along the whole coast around the port but give us several possible insertion zones (closesr to port = higher chance of success) so that we can make a decision: shall I risk detection and try to bring them closer or risk their success and drop them in a safer place
5. Remove passive sonobuoy barriers from missions
I understand the value of those barriers on campaign map (when you pass them enemy subs/ASW groups will converge on that location) but placing them inside missions is just pure evil because there's just no way to detect them. I like difficulty but adding elements that can kill you without any ways of avoiding it is not difficulty. It's just pure luck.
6. Perhaps add some form of anti-air?
This might be controversial, cause there's no proof of US subs having any A-A capabilities, but I'm certain that if this many captains have problems with enemy aircrafts as there are people complaining on forums they would soon be issued with at least a couple of Stinger launchers. Let's say that to use them you need to surface the sail and if the aircraft is within range they would be fired automatically by the crew (unless in silence mode).

mhj1992
06-10-17, 03:12 PM
Issues I have ran into so far:

1. 3-d models disappearing / reappearing at random intervals during combat ( realism be damned, I payed 40 bucks, I want to see the damn ruskies and I want to see my fish hit them)

2. Bears / Orions appearing en masse - like 5-10 of them in the north sea where bears especially shouldn't be ( I have read they are aware of this thankfully)

3. I have scared a diesel electric boat passed its crush depth. I fired a fish, and watched as the torp was about 5-10 seconds from hitting it, then poof, gone. Hilarious, but dissatisfying.

4. Maybe it's just me, but the campaign controlling it really really slow. Trying to intercept even other subs is very hard. Maybe tweak the speed of the players sub to give the player a fair shot at encountering their missions and having to duke it out over letting them cuss at their sub as they watch the soviet subs blaze right by them just out of reach

5. Campaign issues: I keep having issues of the game "crashing" where I'm still in game, but it will randomly shift to a blue under water screen with no explanation. Only way to fix the issue is to ctrl alt delete out and turn off the program. Also, just played the mission where you attack the landing party.. Holy hell, within 2 minutes, I was torpedoed and sunk. (this is with running quiet, and trying to establish what contacts I had thus far. I have also ran into battles where I never find anything, after over 30 mins of running from one end of the grid to the other. This, along with the over load of bears, and the fact that ive had them drop as many as 3 torps on me at a time has made the campaign unplayable.

I am still cussing my innocent computer because of this games frustration so far. Id rather play 688 hunter killer over this after my experience thus far.

Berserker
06-10-17, 06:35 PM
Way points for the subs for easier course plotting..Smaller MK48 torpedo wake the one shown just could not be a realistic wake easier to use depth control a gauge for speed increments..

YoYo
06-11-17, 01:40 AM
Show the time to reload Noisemaker or give command voice when its ready again. :yep:

The Bandit
06-11-17, 09:34 AM
The thing that's kind of in my craw right now about the game is the whole port experience. Its cool that the game keeps running but, it feels like just by tying up you fail 3 objectives and the whole world is going to end (sometimes it does). I may be wrong about this but it feels like when you are just in the main screen (deciding what to re-arm or repair, and by the way I have 0 problem with the amount of time taken for some of these sorts of things) the game is still moving just as fast as it would be if you were sailing on the map screen.

Basically I don't like getting told how much I suck, and how much the Soviet's are eating NATO's lunch when all I'm trying to do is get a couple of new torpedoes and get back into the ball-game.

PL_Harpoon
06-11-17, 11:02 AM
I don't know. I've been in a situation when I had to return to port despite having a mission. Until I got there he mission failed and I was given another one. The situation repeated itself 3 times during rearm/repair and the war didn't end. In fact just after that I completed only a few missions and we drove the soviets from all of western europe and scandinavia (no red tanks on the map).
That was on hard difficulty.

Haukka81
06-11-17, 12:03 PM
Here too, failed Many missions and returned port between them-> war goes on , some time NATO wins, sometimes not.

Zero crashes or anything so far.

Runing latest beta , Windows 10 64bit

1060 6gb
I3 6100 skylake, 3,7ghz
16gb DDR4 3000mhz
SSD drives

jenrick
06-11-17, 02:53 PM
On the port issue, IIRC correctly from the original RSR, when you docked time basically froze. As you performed actions (reloaded torpedoes for example) the clock advanced. That was what I was expecting, so the way CW handles it was a bit of a shock. I agree that currently it almost seems punitive.

On another note there doesn't appear to be any time lag from having your boat shot out from under you and assigned another one. I was in the middle of a '68 campaign and was tasked with stopping an amphibious landing at Oslo. I had already had multiple engagements and was down to 6 Mk16 and 2 Mk 37's. I tried probably ten times but couldn't get back to port and then make it in time to stop the landing with the way the port time lapse currently works. Out of frustration on try 11, I went after a submarine group just to my north and didn't make it out in once piece. I was assigned a new boat, and was instantly transported to port. I was able to leave port and stop the invasion with plenty of time. I'd think having at least a 24 hour (probably longer, there is a war on after all), delay between abandoning ship and getting a new one would be reasonable for game balance.

-Jenrick

keltos01
06-11-17, 04:13 PM
could you guys implement stingers ?

you would need to surface the tower at least to fire them... I know some subs had them...

pretty pleaaase ?

keltos

The Bandit
06-11-17, 07:32 PM

you would need to surface the tower at least to fire them... I know some subs had them...

pretty pleaaase ?

keltos

To piggy back on this, I'd suggest making them part of the SEAL team, just because it would be highly non-standard and give a penalty (IIRC the SEALs take up most of your torpedo room so that you can only carry what's in the tubes) so that you won't just have everyone cruising around with SAMs all the time.

Taking a look at it though, I think you can start to see why this is something that was probably frowned upon. Much like putting rows on rows of AA Guns on the back of U-boats got it into the captain's head that it was a great idea to try and tangle with air-planes, with predictable results.

PL_Harpoon
06-11-17, 08:12 PM
Taking a look at it though, I think you can start to see why this is something that was probably frowned upon. Much like putting rows on rows of AA Guns on the back of U-boats got it into the captain's head that it was a great idea to try and tangle with air-planes, with predictable results.

That's one way to look at it. On the other hand if a couple of captain upon returning to port would report that they had numerous encounters with enemy aircraft in which they dodged all their torpedoes but were still followed and tracked by those aircraft they might be granted a few.

YoYo
06-12-17, 05:45 AM
It will nice to hear any warning sound (like enemy torpedo in the water).

Lost At Sea
06-12-17, 05:51 AM
Excellent suggestion !
You must have had that "where did that come from?" Moment, haven't you?

Cheers,
Lost

Lost At Sea
06-12-17, 10:25 AM
And a basic recording / replay for movie-makers and screenshot aficionados.

Cheers,
Lost

YoYo
06-12-17, 12:36 PM
I need a clock also, yes, simply hour and minutes....
Its important for time compression and for battles.

Haukka81
06-12-17, 01:13 PM
+1 Recorder with ability to show "truth" and yes, simple analog or digital clock would be awesome :D

And keep up good work, don't forgot gameplay, lots of realism request but those wont mater nothing if fun is gone. So balance :)

lesrae
06-12-17, 01:20 PM
In real life you'd be able to catch a trim after doing an emergency blow but while still submerged (flood the ballast tanks, down angle on the planes) - this'd be useful.

Keep it so you have to surface to charge the bottles again by all means.

Haukka81
06-12-17, 03:49 PM
Please tune torpedos power up again, (or make it least option) now they are weak.. why to fix something that its not broken.

elrond petit pas tapons
06-13-17, 08:09 AM
It will nice to hear any warning sound (like enemy torpedo in the water).

Yes, with orders to ! For immersion, looks like silent hunter serie !

Check Six
06-13-17, 11:39 AM
I understand why some people want to "drive" the boat, but in reality, the Captain merely gives an order "Bring her to periscope depth", "Make your course 015 degrees", "5 degrees down on the planes" etc. When you are trying to work out a firing solution, it pains me to slowly bring the boat onto my intended course, or having to watch the depth gauge when I should be concentrating on the enemy stalking me (or vice versa). At least make it a CHOICE to be able to give discreet orders or do it all yourself. Like others have said, the ability to place markers on the map to assist in TMA or firing solution, and the ability to plot waypoints for patrol (and also for torpedos). All that said, I love this game, and am so happy to have bought it. Please devs, keep listening to the community, and implement the ideas that are popular and simple enough to code.

FPSchazly
06-13-17, 12:05 PM
I understand why some people want to "drive" the boat, but in reality, the Captain merely gives an order "Bring her to periscope depth", "Make your course 015 degrees", "5 degrees down on the planes" etc. When you are trying to work out a firing solution, it pains me to slowly bring the boat onto my intended course, or having to watch the depth gauge when I should be concentrating on the enemy stalking me (or vice versa). At least make it a CHOICE to be able to give discreet orders or do it all yourself. Like others have said, the ability to place markers on the map to assist in TMA or firing solution, and the ability to plot waypoints for patrol (and also for torpedos). All that said, I love this game, and am so happy to have bought it. Please devs, keep listening to the community, and implement the ideas that are popular and simple enough to code.

I concur. Dangerous Waters is fun with the stations, but no one person does sonar, TMA, fire control, and leading the boat. I suppose you could say the same with Cold Waters leading the boat and doing the helm, but I feel directly piloting the sub is an extension of having to give those orders still.

Overall, I agree that I feel I have to focus on actual submarine tactics more in Cold Waters than in Dangerous Waters, where I feel most of the challenge is being able to just know how to work the stations. Dangerous Waters isn't the only way a submarine can be simulated.

Hans Schultz
06-13-17, 02:36 PM
I'd like to see NATO and Warsaw Pact units added to the game. Also the Pacific region.

Kazuaki Shimazaki II
06-14-17, 12:45 AM
Overall, I agree that I feel I have to focus on actual submarine tactics more in Cold Waters than in Dangerous Waters, where I feel most of the challenge is being able to just know how to work the stations. Dangerous Waters isn't the only way a submarine can be simulated.

I agree. The way they set things up motivates you to do submarinish things much more than Dangerous Waters. I now stay 30 feet off the bottom rather than 5 because I can't control the sub as precisely. In real life of course you have a planesman but he won't keep your sub 5 feet off the seafloor at flank either because of bottom suction (which is not simulated, not here, not in DW). In fact, you'll move much less aggressively (and thus much more like a real sub) simply because of that lack of precision from an automated helmsman.

So the game forces the correct "result" its own way. For that reason I'm strongly suspicious of the push for automated maneuver control. In essence you are asking for the game to be made easier then its concept meant it to be.

PL_Harpoon
06-14-17, 05:29 AM
Something just came to my mind.

While making crew commands, could you also make sub interior sounds when you're in tactical view? Something like Themsen's mod for SH3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAirHjo7kEg

Lanzfeld
06-14-17, 06:28 AM
Is it just me or is the ESM level indicator hard to read?

VizlaN
06-14-17, 08:08 AM
Please work on the AI.

All it has to go on is one active ping and sends a torpedo in that direction, fair enough. What is not OK is the AI from that point on knowing exactly which direction you are heading, in real time, and correct the torpedo on every turn you make. Check this by modifying "SelfNoise" and "ActiveSonarReflection" to a very low number so there is no way you are detected through that, do active pinging until they launch, then go silent and deep. See the same with surface ships responding to a torpedo arriving, and from that knowing exactly where you are even tho you made a full 180 after launching them.
Seems to me like the AI knows exactly where you are but the devs have thrown in some randomizing on depth and distance until they have a more accurate sonar reading, in order for it to seem more legitimate. Problem is in the cases I've seen, they should have no reading to go on at all.

On that note the AI in general needs a lot of work. Seeing it too often turn into an active torpedo, launch noisemakers too soon/late or not at all, go nose first into the bottom, or not taking into consideration that its torpedoes are just as lethal to them. Send a MOSS into a wolf pack and watch the carnage. Also yet to see a boat successfully beat a torpedo, but don't know if that is historically accurate?

Check Six
06-15-17, 01:33 AM
What is seriously needed is the ability to save the game. Not so that we can have a "mulligan" and re-do a mission that we failed miserably (though the thought had occurred :)), but even during campaigns, there is nowhere to save your progress. I returned to port after a successful mission to re-arm and re-fit, but there is nowhere to save.
I can re-arm, re-fit, check my orders etc, but I can't save OR QUIT. I was forced to use the "windows" key to access my desktop and quit the running program. This needs fixing pronto.

Kazuaki Shimazaki II
06-15-17, 01:50 AM
Have you tried the Escape key?

Check Six
06-15-17, 03:22 AM
Have you tried the Escape key?

Sure have Try it yourself. Campaign mode, return to Holy Loch to re-arm. You try the escape key then. No? Ok, perhaps after I set sail. No? Ok, perhaps once I get a sonar contact and before I enter battle. No? Hmm.

In campaign mode permanently. I have actually seen a "save" capability ONCE, but am unable to replicate it or remember under which circumstances it appears. I don't know, it's not obvious and certainly not "user friendly".

Kazuaki Shimazaki II
06-15-17, 03:39 AM
You indeed cannot save when you are in port or just before entering battle, much less in battle. But you should (and I have) be able to access a screen with "Summary" "Save" and "Quit" (or Exit, I forgot which on it using the Escape key.

Check Six
06-16-17, 01:39 AM
Kazuaki,

Yes, I do indeed have the capability to save when in the "Area of Operations" Map screen. I did mention that I had, in fact, seen a "save" function SOMEWHERE. I found it this morning. Thanks for your kind assistance.

Killerfish Games
06-16-17, 04:22 AM
The game auto-saves to the Auto_Save file when:
- leaving port
- exit the campaign
- start of combat
- end of combat
- when assigned a new mission

Alternatively you can manually save to the filename you specified at any time while navigating the strategic map.

GrinderX9
06-16-17, 06:13 AM
More then enething, this game needs Multiplayer. Cold Waters in multiplayer whould be Incredible :D .

It also needs Frendly AI, if nothing else in the form of frendly AI subs that randomly somethimes apere in campagne missions. This way it become Incredible importent to identefy contacts.

Also, mabe a editor to create singel player missions and campagnes, whit Your own brifing and storry missions.

Badger343rd
06-16-17, 06:32 AM
I would like to see more development feedback...what are you working on,whats planed for the future (lots of pictures and stuff).Your site seems kinda blah in that respect.Keep us interested ...excited.Give us a behind the scenes look etc etc. As far as the game as is goes ,I would like to be able too add full screen station graphics with the ability to add my own clickable hotspots...ie ...mapping the "i" key to the periscope station,Or the masts/ESM keys etc etc.

grover
06-16-17, 06:45 AM
I just got the game and have only had a quick play but I agree with some of the suggestions of some navigation commands like "come to periscope depth" or right full rudder.

Aktungbby
06-16-17, 08:24 AM
GrinderX9!:Kaleun_Salute:

pakfront
06-16-17, 11:32 AM
In addition to or instead of standard multi-vehicle multiplayer I would love to see multi-station multiplayer. That is, the ability for different players to manage different aspects of the same ship. Examples of existing games that support this are Artemis and Star Trek: Bridge Crew.
I know adding multiplayer of any type is quite a task, so we can but dream.

ClaudiuC
06-18-17, 01:11 PM
Don't know if it was mentioned before but we need more information and tools in the overview map!

1) The ability to to set up way points (over the map) since it makes setting up patrol zones much easier
2) A tool to measure the ranges (over the map), draw points, lines predict courses etc
3) More information on the map regarding depths, ability to show information on click etc
4) More realistic navigation & helm controls

pakfront
06-18-17, 08:26 PM
Killerfish, I'm so impressed by what such a small team has accomplished. Here are a few simple(?) things I think would help gameplay.

Spacebar placement of weapon waypoint should show estimated time-to-target as well distance and bearing.

When in spacebar waypoint placement mode, hitting spacebar again should toggle off mode, in addition to Escape key.

Mini-map needs scale indicator, even if it simpler than main map.

UI should show TTE and maybe TTR of all of your running weapons. [edit] i figured out this can be done with wire torpedoes but not with unguided. For unguided it's actually even more useful so that would be nice to see all of them at the same time.

Bottom left Ownship UI should show current engine telegraph setting . (I shouldn't have to look at log to see this)

Bottom left Ownship UI should show your current noise level in a simple way.

Single missions should show date of mission so we get a sense of the subs available.

F2 and F3 views need title text for contact name/number or weapon name/number so I know what I'm looking at.

Using mouse wheel in a scrollview should not zoom camera

Expose water murk/fog amount in Options menu rather than require modding file.

Need log message and sound/voice when enemy torpedo launch detected.

Need log message and sound/voice when sonobouy or helicopter detected.

Top right status icons should be persistent buttons and be on/off and allow user to click on them. (optional?)

really really need a "periscope depth" key and button, but I think you know this already.

[Edit 1 more]
Compass should have ticks on it for your current course and direction to selected target.

Nice to have:
Auto priority for repairs - or at least a "fix flooding first" option so priority icon moves to next flooded area automatically.
Engine room should have option to "go as fast as possible without cavitation" so I don't have to readjust telegraph after a burst of cavitation at a new depth.
Flooding should show rate of flooding/draining as well as current amount.
Quick battle menu for random generation of a mission.
Tab to map-view should show camera view in bottom left where mini-map was, in essence swapping views rather than replacing.
Ability to draw on or place icons on map for my own reference.
hotkey or button to "lower all masts"
Ability to set depth and heading rather than manual steering.

AndyLorentz
06-18-17, 08:37 PM
Great game, Killerfish! I've been thoroughly enjoying it so far.

A couple things I'd like to see regarding the towed array (besides an in game model, as I understand it's hard to get it to look right from what you guys have said in FPSchazly's streams):

1: Some sort of indicator whether the array is above or below the layer

2: Variable length. Doesn't need to be a Dangerous Waters style continuous reel, but it would be nice to be able to select short, medium, long for various conditions.

VolvicCH
06-18-17, 11:03 PM
I would like to see more development feedback.
The game has been out for a little less than two weeks and has been patched twice, with a third in beta. The developers are also pretty active on this forum. Thats pretty impressive in my book.

As far as the game as is goes ,I would like to be able too add full screen station graphics with the ability to add my own clickable hotspots...ie ...mapping the "i" key to the periscope station,Or the masts/ESM keys etc etc.

I think that the developers have made it pretty clear that they are not trying to do a "Dangerous Waters"/"688I" type game but rather a successor to "Red Storm Rising".

Leemon
06-19-17, 03:47 AM
Petition for what, right for everyone gave suggestion? I vote against it! :D

Firstly, after trying Your product, seeing Your success on steam, activity in community and maintenance, main suggestion/request - DONT ABANDON GAME, just dont ever finish it, EVER! Continue Your work and You will have loyal customers base :Kaleun_Cheers:

Suggestions.
Big long term goal - multiplayer. People will get bored quickly playing vs same stupid AI, multiplayer support would keep people geting this game. Misions PVE/PVP, or even open world map with players and AI swimming around from different sides US, Soviets, China, UK - WW3, and people attacking on same groups or each other. Omg, I will pee myself thinking more about this. This could be as DLC.
Like myself, played for a week now - done all missions and campaign, now only option is to repeat what already did - not really exciting.

AI and difficulty levels.
If no multiplayer, then need to work out with AI intelligence and make it act differently on different difficulty levels. Current difficulty levels makes game longer, but not more difficult/challenging. And AI not only buged but and stupid.
About AI behavior, allow to be modable if its possible, so different current and future ships would have different "doctrines".

Mission generator
With selectable and random options. I believe its a must for offline game.

Difficulty levels
Disable 3d for Elite difficulty and SNS COMP :) Or atleast SNS COMP and F1-4 views. Once You will make interior (forgot how others call it), this could be done.

IDing Targets and extra panel
I believe need make more difficult to ID targets and make it more player decision - currently its matter of clicking arrows in signature tab untill lines match up, or click I while on Periscope. For me its most exciting part of modern sub games is to deciding correct ID with evaluating all info I know.
New panel for Active and ESM interception with frequencies, so player could atleast know (decide) what platform+bearing targets is Surf, Air or Sub. Plus, making signature/sonar frequencies less obvious - providing range to choose from and comparing with other data to decide on ID, instead of giving 100% accurate ID.
This could vary between different difficulty levels.
Currently ESM is useless, only to risk get detected by radar.

I think it main thinks I would love to see, not mentioning already Your planed features. Anyways, love You guys KillerFish Games for what You have done and continue to make.
----------------------
Who ever proposes AntiAir capabilities again, I will put a fraking torp between Your eyes whenever i meet You on seas. Submarines main defense is stealth, not just shooting everything they see. Currently Air only uncontrolled excitement i get in game - game needs such things, it would be really boring making Subs OP. Plan approach correctly if Air is annoying!
AI beeing stupid is other thing.

Spiggs
06-19-17, 07:23 AM
Well I'm enjoying the game thus far. However, could we have a keyboard shortcut for the command "All Stop!" to set propulsion to “Zero”. The reason being that I like to create “Voice Attack” profiles for games and “Cold Waters” lends itself quite well to giving orders via a voice command software.

I'm able to set-up voice commands for the rudder, diving planes and ballast for varying degrees such as “Hard Right rudder, dive planes down 20 degrees” because there is the ability to reset all the parameters to Zero using the “Level & Centre” command “X” as the first script instruction and then setting the rudder and planes to whatever you want from that baseline.

Sadly, I am unable to do this with propulsion as there is no way of setting a speed related baseline as the first command in the script. The addition of an “All Stop” command would solve this and allow me to create voice commands such as “Ahead 1/3” and “All ahead Flank”. This would, potentially, improve my ability to play the game, but is would definitely increase the immersion.

Ta Everso :)

captgeo
06-19-17, 10:57 AM
Been a VERY long time since I have made a post................sounds like a pretty buggy game................think I will wait a bit before I part with any money for this title,.....+ I do not care for Steam at ALL.

PL_Harpoon
06-19-17, 11:49 AM
There are bugs but at it's current state it's very much a playable and enjoyable game.

As for the main topic, I have one more little request (well it's actually two):

give real sensors to torpedoes. Instead of using fixed values create (or give us the ability to create) sonar system for torpedoes. That way they could be affected by everything else, like thermal layers, ambient noise etc.
Also, give the option (a toggle in game options perhaps) for the game to treat torpedoes like other vessels (meaning no magical instant solutions).

cookiemonste
06-19-17, 03:09 PM
Don't know if this was requested yet, but could we get the option to swtich between imperial and metric units?

ollie1983
06-19-17, 04:41 PM
Bought this game after seeing it reviews on youtube.

It is almost a spiritual successor to Red Storm Rising but it needs some polish and some things added.

For starters, can we have a DLC pack please that includes the Seawolf and Virginia classes, and the British subs? What about the Ohio etc?

Next, the game manual or in game help needs to be way more detailed- those of you who will remember the manual for RSR will remember how thick and detailed it was. It included a full blown run down on your own weapons and their statistics. As it stands it is a bit sparse but I can forgive the developers that.

Definitely need the ability to set course using waypoints or just dialling in a bearing. Steering your own sub and watching it underwater is cool, but some of us would prefer to let the crew do the routine stuff.

The biggest thing that needs an overhaul is the sonar section. There should be a full blown waterfall display that indicates bearing changes, that you can watch as well as changing acoustic conditions- RSR had a map for this displaying good and poor water conditions. It would also be nice to be able to select a sonar array to focus on- IE passive vs tower array.

As it stands it is a solid game that you can't fail to enjoy, but we are relying way too much on F1 viewpoint to drive and operate the ship, the other screens need to be updated to make them far more user friendly.

We don't get any warnings that there are aircraft overhead- can't the crew report this? Ditto sonobuoys dropping in? They just appear with no report from the crew?

It would also be nice to have at least an estimated position on anti-surface weapons, as it stands they become invisible the moment they are launched, unless you use the magic eye camera again, you have no idea if they have missed or how far long their track they are? In reality they could at least be plotted with some accuracy using nothing more than a map and stopwatch?

Don't wish to sound negative totally, I bought the game and I am happy with it, but it could become one of the best simulators ever with some thought I think.

wilky210
06-19-17, 04:55 PM
I love the game so far. I agree with the above poster. I'm hoping to see some very modern submarines in the future. I love especially playing the early submarines in the game, but i'd like to see the other side of the spectrum with very modern submarines (even the 688i or Seawolf would be ok with obviously the most modern Russians subs as AI too). Wouldn't mind paying via DLC too, as long as it's not too expensive.

Navigator857
06-19-17, 05:03 PM
My main request has already been mention. I more SH4 type menu. I find the reason I keep getting my ass handed to me is I'm having to spend all my time spamming planes, ballast, rudder.....Captain of a boat doesn't physically drive the boat, he gives orders. With a menu we can give the order "Right Full Rudder" or "Dive to Periscope Depth/300 feet" etc.. I think that would make the game a little more enjoyable to a lot of us who can only play for about 15 minutes before a silent torpedo slams into my hull (the only notice of this being the Damage Control saying my reactor is damaged). Thanks and keep up the good work! :Kaleun_Cheers:

Jack

PL_Harpoon
06-19-17, 05:09 PM
Yeah, the devs already mentioned they are working on a solution.
BTW, original RSR had a very elegant way of doing this. Just press a button and type in desired depth/course. I found it much better than Sonalyst's mouse button spamming.

ollie1983
06-19-17, 05:50 PM
Don't get me wrong- I enjoy the thrill of physically steering the ship sometimes when trying to evade an incoming torpedo, but it's a big handful when all you are doing is trying to evaluate a sonar contact or do other bits.

The sensors part of the game is the area which needs strengthening, it is no where near detailed enough to make it practical. The signature ID part should be on a separate tab, and I'm constantly having to look at the conditions page just to ensure I don't run into the seabed.

I have no hesitation in recommending people buy the game as it stands though, its a good title, and the devs are already putting in changes. Already we have a working enemy vessel guide now.

EDIT- and if we get the Seawolf can we have swim out torpedos?

Aktungbby
06-19-17, 06:26 PM
wilky210!:Kaleun_Salute: & ollie1983!:Kaleun_Salute: & welcome back Spiggs! :Kaleun_Salute:after a six year silent run!

mhj1992
06-19-17, 07:18 PM
Please for the love of god, voices that alert you to all the things you see on screen in updates above the signature panel as well as alerting you to torps incoming, torps detonating, all that jazz. The updates are working well so far :up:

The Bandit
06-19-17, 08:32 PM
I may be going against the grain here but I'm all for the manual controls. I don't mean to sell what the devs are doing short but, this game isn't Sub Command / Dangerous waters and it isn't part of the silent hunter series. DW you basically put the ship on auto-pilot while you did your thing in the realistic sonar and TMA plotter (which if you knew what you were doing you could do better than the computer), for silent hunter, aside from the stunning visuals (which truly cold waters has matched and surpassed lo these 10+ years later) you had the whole crew simulation and 3d stations and walking through the boat.

Cold Waters doesn't have all of that stuff to do if you put the boat on auto-pilot, but I feel that it's disingenuous to what the game is to expect that from the devs. "Gee, this game isn't Dangerous Waters, but if you could make it more like that, that'd be great."

Now for my list of demands :wah:

1. In Campaign mode, maybe think about introducing some more generic objectives. I may be going a bit too old-school here, but recently I've digested "Silent Victory" and the "Hitler's U-boat war" books by Clay Blair Jr. and I have a few observations. Obviously things have changed since WW2, but for the most part the majority of the patrols that US Submarines were sent on were fairly straightforward in nature. "Go here, sink what you find, report in and head back when you're out of fish." (Obviously I can admit the war in the Pacific mainly targeting Japan's poorly escorted and regulated merchant fleet is a little different than taking on the Soviet Navy in the Barents Sea) I feel CW is missing a bit of this, the mission objectives are always very specific tasks to accomplish and always have specific outcomes (pass/fail). While this is very effective at moving the campaign / story / picture along it does lead to making you feel that you've got the world on your shoulders.

I guess what I'm getting at is, much like the Silent Hunter games, missions tied to particular geographic locations, or probably more sensibly a "patrol box" area. In some ways the campaign already makes us do this now "Go to the Denmark Strait to prevent an Oscar II from breaking out into the North Atlantic" but what I'm proposing is "Take up station in the Denmark Strait and maintain barrier patrol between Iceland and Greenland", in this case maybe the Oscar comes through, maybe you get an ELF message tasking you with going after the Oscar, or maybe nothing happens at all and you get a new tasking later.

Another opportunity here would be maybe for "reconnaissance / stealth missions" (also I have to apologize, the vast majority of my game-play is in the 1968 campaign so I most likely am overlooking stuff that you guys have in the 84 campaign). While I think going back to a "peace time / Blind Man's Bluff) may not exactly be suited to the game / AI, it may be an interesting challenge to come up with something covert where you're objective it just to listen and classify what's there, then try to escape unnoticed vs. going full on bull in a china shop and tearing the whole place up. This could range from say a mission tasking you to figure out what ships are leaving Murmansk, or maybe a different one where you have to try to locate the "main body" of a Soviet Fleet centered around Kirov or Kiev and then reporting in so that it can be attacked / countered by something greater than just a single submarine.

2. Work on changing the "frequency" for some platforms. At this rate in my 68 campaign, I've sunk so many Novembers that they've got to be pumping some of them out and scraping the barnacles off because they just can't be building new ones this fast. Conversely I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a Foxtrot class, even the mighty Victor is more common. Can understand a bit with the Romeos because they had very low production numbers and the Whiskey is pretty abundant too.

3. Major pie in the sky and maybe a little bit too far reaching. Rather than considering getting into a full blown crew simulation as a few have mentioned maybe a series of optional (as in you can turn this off if its not your cup of tea) random buffs / debuffs to blur some lines. I'm meaning stuff like

"Overdue for refit: If things were different, your boat would be high and dry getting her bottom scraped and repainted. As it is, wartime considerations have meant postponing your refit and now you lose 5-10% of your top speed due to drag caused by marine growth."

"Brand New boat / Fresh out of dry dock: Your boat now meets and exceeds all design specifications for her class. Enjoy top speed and maybe even a little more!"

You could do the same with some of the departments, like Weapons / Engineering / Sonar for faster/ slower reload / repair times and shorter / longer detection ranges or more / less accurate TMA (all within a reasonable few % range up or down). What I would suggest though, rather than having negatives (Your Weps det. sucks) have unknowns (Rookie weps det.) which may be anything in the range of bad to good. Lastly, make all this assigned randomly so rather than leveling up / upgrading certain areas / unlocking abilities, much like I assume goes on in the real Navy, you have to work with the equipment and personnel you're given and no two boats are exactly alike. This would make the game a bit more fuzzy (instead of knowing for sure "I can do X thing because I'm in a Skipjack class!" you're wondering "Can MY Skipjack class sub do X thing?"

mhj1992
06-20-17, 07:09 PM
PLEASE address the time compression issue: What I mean by that, is that when an event such has a torp launch happens, time compression should turn off so that you dont unwittingly allow a torp to get too close due to TC and kill you

Delgard
06-20-17, 07:19 PM
I see the manual controls, as they currently are, reflecting the commands of the Commander or the XO/OOD.

I did notice that "hull-popping" was not modeled, so I tend to have a fast elevator. But, that is my not staying closer to realism.

There are other scenario possibilities, but the game has moved along rather quickly as it is.

I also know how to make adjustments via the "Override", which can really change the challenge. I like that feature. I can dial in the program for me and/or realism.

Badger343rd
06-21-17, 08:15 AM
I would like an AAR report. Not knowing what got me and how is frustrating.
Having ALL buttons on the interface clickable so I don't need to touch the keyboard.

A sonar station(full screen)
Tma station (full screen)
I understand the reason for a simple game mode, but it should be optional.

Being able to disable a torp after enable.
Allow us to stream towed array at will
I should be able to order turns per knot so I can make maximum speed but stay below cavitation.

An option to make all interfaces auto disappear and reappear based on mouse position...the reason for this is it would allow me to play it on a bigscreeen PLASMA tv and not worry about "burn in" on the screen.If an interface is too static it creates a ghost in the plasma.

Hamhock
06-21-17, 09:31 AM
Firstly, love the game KF, thanks for picking up the torch.

If I have a primary complaint, it is the profusion of hotkeys. I'm glad they are there (I don't remember evasion and escape EVER being so tense in any other subsim game), but really, it seems kinda...last decade. A clickable UI is crucial.

Chief among the hotkey issues is ownship navigation. I get that you want the captain to feel the boat and such, but the practicality is that we need waypoints, course/speed/depth setting that the crew can handle while we go about our Captain business.

It doesn't have to be complicated, just a box in the lower left with the appropriate boxes to manually enter navigation commands would mostly suffice.

Either way, thanks for the game :)

ClaudiuC
06-21-17, 11:01 AM
Firstly, love the game KF, thanks for picking up the torch.

If I have a primary complaint, it is the profusion of hotkeys. I'm glad they are there (I don't remember evasion and escape EVER being so tense in any other subsim game), but really, it seems kinda...last decade. A clickable UI is crucial.

Chief among the hotkey issues is ownship navigation. I get that you want the captain to feel the boat and such, but the practicality is that we need waypoints, course/speed/depth setting that the crew can handle while we go about our Captain business.

It doesn't have to be complicated, just a box in the lower left with the appropriate boxes to manually enter navigation commands would mostly suffice.

Either way, thanks for the game :)

They are working on an optional more sim like navigation controls. Not sure when it's scheduled tough... but it's definitely coming.

pakfront
06-21-17, 11:11 AM
A few more suggestions:

Keep [Continue] [Accept] etc. buttons in the same place in all the overlay screens.
[Esc] key should close the "Leave Combat" overlay screen, it should not require a mouse click to close.
Allow us to leave combat if there are weapons out that pose no threat. I've been trapped in a combat for 10 minutes with the only weapon out being my own torpedo doing loops 10+ KYds away.

Provide more information about enemy Task Groups in the campaign map when applicable. Differentiate between surface group types (Landing, Resupply, ASW, etc) if there is sufficient intelligence.

Harley Davidson
06-21-17, 03:38 PM
Well Oncle Neils email got me... I purchased Cold Waters :) I haven't been here since SH2 tho...

Some things that would really help immersion for me would be:

*Being able to set my speed ie: 2 Knts or 5 Knts etc.. or make turns for any amount of speed.
*Being able to leave harbor with view from conn tower, or conn tower view at sea.
*Being able to deploy or retract towed array.
*Helm station tab, doesn't have to be complicated.. just a tab for choosing depth, rudder and speed.
* the ability to choose the side of the conflict you are on... go Soviet or US.

Great game and I'm really enjoying it so far. Way to go killerfish!

VolvicCH
06-21-17, 05:52 PM
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=952156459

Ahem...

ValkyrieBSG
06-21-17, 06:08 PM
I'd love to see playable USN boomers. Also playable Russian boats without the use of mods

somedude88
06-22-17, 08:56 AM
One thing I don't like is how every battle is a success or fail. "Oh, you intercepted the target halfway to its objective, but you didn't kill all the ships in that one battle? Well they teleported immediately to their objective and carried out their attack, mission failure."

Why can't you set up a follow-up attack the next day or disengage and re-engage in better conditions, or stalk your target until air-support leaves? If you get handed a bad roll, whether it be no layer or shallow water, why do you automatically lose if you don't win the first battle?

MadMike
06-23-17, 07:58 AM
Some bugs, some may have been noted here and on the Steam forum-

1. EW contacts for sunken platforms.

2. Annoying and persistent grinding noises from sunken ships.

3. Need NATO platforms (subs, aircraft, etc). May as well add USN ships and merchants (for Soviet subs to sink).

4. Mod the environmental sound files for weapon detonations, sinking ships, etc.

Yours, &c.

Mike

GrinderX9
06-23-17, 11:29 AM
I know the market is still small. But the number is growing, People With VR.

Aboslutly everything are 100 times more imersive in VR. And I think this game whould be very easy to convert to VR. And putting the game in VR section on steam whould get you some extra Exposition.

Dear Developers plz make a VR mod :yeah:

Aktungbby
06-23-17, 11:32 AM
ValkyrieBSG!:Kaleun_Salute: & Harley Davidson!:Kaleun_Salute: &Hamhock! :Kaleun_Salute:

Fearless
06-24-17, 12:28 AM
Crew sound would be awesome.
Also access to the mission objectives in game.

somedude88
06-24-17, 08:35 AM
Give players option to start battles at max anti-ship missile range. This so that you don't have to steam away from the enemy group for half an hour before actually engaging.

Shadow
06-24-17, 09:45 AM
Give players option to start battles at max anti-ship missile range. This so that you don't have to steam away from the enemy group for half an hour before actually engaging.

Effective missile range for an unsupported submarine is about as far as horizon distance. Roughly 25 KY, the game's maximum initial engagement distance.

Beyond that, without direct visual, ESM or radar contact, and without a supporting sensor platform (ideally AWACS), firing solution accuracy progressively drops, and missile attacks become an increasingly wasteful option. Most attack submarines aren't built with that kind of inefficient missile spam in mind.

Delgard
06-24-17, 10:35 AM
Crew voices would be accurate. As a CDR, I really don't want to check dials and screens. I have an XO and Chiefs calling out changes. The two small screens on the left, with the inclusion of layer is about all.

Yes, I do the TMA to ID others in the area, but what is my TMA Chief doing? Isn't the XO/OOD backing him up?

A comfy chair and my mental visualization. The small tactical screen would be sufficient for evading torpedoes and registering sonobuoy/torpedo drops with the crew ID their actions. The crew should be calling out the rest.

A CDR trains his crew to provide input, lets have a vocal crew.

YoYo
06-24-17, 12:45 PM
Hi,
please do option to change ft to meters in settings and vice versa.
In Soviet submarines was scale in meters (depth), not ft and as we know in the future they will be present in CW.

Wiz33
06-24-17, 06:45 PM
I'm sure that will be taken care off once allied subs are in the game. Don't worry.

Wiz33
06-24-17, 06:47 PM
Crew voices would be accurate. As a CDR, I really don't want to check dials and screens. I have an XO and Chiefs calling out changes. The two small screens on the left, with the inclusion of layer is about all.

Yes, I do the TMA to ID others in the area, but what is my TMA Chief doing? Isn't the XO/OOD backing him up?

A comfy chair and my mental visualization. The small tactical screen would be sufficient for evading torpedoes and registering sonobuoy/torpedo drops with the crew ID their actions. The crew should be calling out the rest.

A CDR trains his crew to provide input, lets have a vocal crew.

It's already on the Dev's to do list. let them finish with the tweaks and fixes and they'll get to it.

Captain Haddock
06-25-17, 01:55 AM
Hi
I would like to the option to refer back to the main area chart, as once you are in contact you lose all reference to your actual position. To be able to see where you are in relation to other units and your actual Lat & Long position would help in assessing the likely direction to look for contacts that had faded.
Also some of the active sonar ranges from surface units seems a bit excessive, TSR(tactical sonar range) should be applied and any increase in speed should degrade detection ranges accordingly. Rant over, great forum by the way.

Wiz33
06-25-17, 02:25 AM
Hi
I would like to the option to refer back to the main area chart, as once you are in contact you lose all reference to your actual position. To be able to see where you are in relation to other units and your actual Lat & Long position would help in assessing the likely direction to look for contacts that had faded.
Also some of the active sonar ranges from surface units seems a bit excessive, TSR(tactical sonar range) should be applied and any increase in speed should degrade detection ranges accordingly. Rant over, great forum by the way.

Good idea or at least some sort of bookmark so you can mark position of interest.

Fearless
06-25-17, 02:44 AM
I would like to see the clock as well as a message screen that can be accessed for reviewing.

Sharpshooter
06-25-17, 05:07 AM
Some more submarines? Adding some flavor is always nice. The Swedish or German diesel electric ones would be nice.

It opens up some fictional training scenarios.

The Bandit
06-25-17, 10:18 AM
After looking at some of the game files, there's a couple of things I'm wondering about in regards to the respective self noise rates. These seem to be in decibels but I have to question some of the settings.

Skipjack = 140 (machinery bolted down as on previous submarines)
Permit = 136 (first class to use raft isolation mounts for machinery)
Sturgeon = 130 (refinement of Permit class)
Narwhal = 105 (natural convection reactor very quiet)
Los Angeles = 115

My specific issue here relates to the relationship between the Skipjack, Permit and Sturgeon class. I don't have a problem with the 140 rating for the Skipjack, but I do think that consideration should be given to possibly slightly lowering it for the 84 campaign. The top speed from 1968 to 1984 has already been lowered, from what I can tell to reflect the new "scimitar" curve blade 7-blade screw, which was required to deal with wake-instability (as far as I can tell vibration of the blades as they passed through the wake from the control surfaces) on the initial 5 bladed screw (basically these vibrations emitted a particular noise which made the sub louder than it should have been at speeds below the cavitation threshold). As far as I know, there isn't anything in CW that could simulate this issue, so making the sub louder/quieter should suffice quite well.

The value used for the Permit class, 136 db. While it did use the same S5W reactor (and probably much of the steam turbine machinery) the Thresher/Permit class was notable as they were the first submarine design to make use of rafted / sound isolated mountings and foundations for much if not all of their machinery. By all reports, they were notably quieter than the Skipjack class and stealth was a big consideration in their design. The only other thing to add here is that initially, the USS Thresher did turn out to be quite loud as built and fitted with a

The Sturgeon class, 130 db was for all intents and purposes an evolution of the Permit design, being enlarged to have more room for things such as electronics spaces. This brings us to the crux of the matter. While I do not think it is particularly far-fetched to imagine that they might be able to further quiet the machinery on the Sturgeon, especially as the technology matured, I'm not seeing why the Sturgeon class should be 6 db quieter than the Permit while the Permit is only 4db quieter than the Skipjack.

TLDR: Think about making the 1984 Skipjack slightly quieter, Permit class should probably be quieter as well (bigger difference between Skipjack & Permit).

YoYo
06-25-17, 11:46 AM
I'd like to see also more time compression, not only the one option (F9) and course plotter on TAB map.

Philipp_Thomsen
06-25-17, 06:40 PM
There's no need to flood the developers with 1001 different requests.
Only ONE request is needed: Make the game as open to modding as possible.

It's the only way to please everyone.

PL_Harpoon
06-25-17, 07:24 PM

I agree. The more option we have as a community the less things the devs need to worry about.

LoBlo
06-25-17, 08:41 PM
NATO NTDS map symbols please:)

Kazuaki Shimazaki II
06-25-17, 08:57 PM
After looking at some of the game files, there's a couple of things I'm wondering about in regards to the respective self noise rates. These seem to be in decibels but I have to question some of the settings.

These are moddable even now, here's what I wound up doing to the numbers and why for your reference.

1) The Los Angeles I bumped upwards to 120. I think I've seen that before for early 688s which is what we are, with the late 688s being about 10 less. Besides, stock I have a ridiculous TWENTY-TWO decibel acoustic advantage over the Victor III (which is the "strongest" common opponent), not counting the sonars, which seems a bit much considering the gap should no longer be dramatic. I'm supposed to be able to beat Victor IIIs but I have to be careful around them, not with impunity... and they are supposed to have a chance without active sonar.
2) The Sierra, I left at 125.
3) The Sturgeon 84 I left at 130.

4) The Victor III was quietened down to 132. I did not quite say they are quieter than Sturgeons, but they should be quieter than the Permits. Now, I am down to a 12 decibel acoustic advantage, which also makes things much more interesting.
5) The Permit 84 I left at 136. I think the 6 decibel gap is reasonable.

6) The Sturgeon 68 I jacked up all the way to 138 (8-decibel climb). In 1968, they would be on the first few Sturgeons, and submarines lose as many as 10 decibels during the course of their construction as flaws are squelched and minor improvements worked in.
7) The Skipjack 84 I left at 140. I actually agree with you that the gap is a bit small. On the other hand, if they are much louder than this, they'll be completely unusable. I decided to pretend that they are running on batteries in ultraquiet, which is actually referenced in the 2014 Submarine Torpedo Tactics, An American History.

8) The Victor II was quietened down to 142. The current game has it at 152, exactly the same as Victor I. I think that was based on the American historiography that the Soviets "suddenly" found out from Walker and suddenly modified the Victor III from the Victor II proferred by people such as Stuart Slade for one. However, the 671RT is actually the first of the Soviet attack subs with rafting, and they should get some credit for that. As for how much credit I decided based on Polmar's quote that the Victor II was estimated to have similar noise level to the Sturgeon from 5 years ago, and that Victor IIs are mistaken for Victor IIIs on occasion, so I gave them a level reasonably close to a 1968 Sturgeon (142 v 138 - this is also part of the reason the Sturgeon 68 had to get noisier).

9) The Permit 68 was bumped to 144 (basically it is keeps the "6 more" than a 68 Sturgeon). Reading your essay, I'm considering trimming it an inch to 142 or even 141.

10) The Alfa also got a downtrim to 147 - some sources actually place their level as close to V-II, and I decided to go halfway, since they do get noisy when fast.

11) The Skipjack 68 was increased to 148 - I actually considered just making it 150-2 so it is equivalent to the Victor I (like the Russian side suggests) and also the gap is a bit thin with the Permit, but on the other hand I'm also OK with it being a bit quieter than V-I.

I also trimmed some of the Russian SSGNs in line with this thinking, but that's about it.

samuka_medic
06-25-17, 11:40 PM

Yes!

Open 3d models and textures of submarines and environment;
Open event triggers and configuration texts;

Do this and watch the miracle happen!

Philipp_Thomsen
06-26-17, 11:05 AM
The problem with you hardcore simmer guys is that the type of sim you want really can only be made by a AAA team operating on a AAA budget and that's just not going to happen. Noone is going to want to invest in a hugely expensive project with zero chance of reaching break-even.!

You're missing the point. We are perfectly aware that no company will make
such a game and we've been working around the issue for the past two decades.

The important thing is moddability, if such word exists.

Stock vanilla SH3 is, for me, unplayable.
But I and many other great modders worked hard on it - and we still do -
and after 12 years of modding the game is better than most AAA studios would dare tackling.

The thing is, we're here working day and night, not for profit, but for passion. You can't compete with that.
A studio has to balance production cost and time frame, has to make compromises. We don't. We strive for perfection at any cost.

Sure we have less tools, but you'd be amazed with some wonders that were achieved from hex-editing files,
improving the game in ways that would otherwise be impossible. Developers are not higher in the food-chain,
we have some extraordinary people modding games for free, doing outstanding work.

So, want your game to sell more and please more people? Make it as moddable as possible.
Mods are the reason why PC games are 1000x more fun than console games.

Build a closed-game that is what it is, and regardless of how good it is, it will eventually die.
Build a platform instead, open to modding, and decades down the line you'll still be selling copies.

A closed-game will never be THE perfect game to anyone.
But when you can mod it to your tastes? It can be THE perfect game to EVERYONE.

Shadow
06-26-17, 12:13 PM
You're missing the point. We are perfectly aware that no company will make
such a game and we've been working around the issue for the past two decades.

The important thing is moddability, if such word exists.

Stock vanilla SH3 is, for me, unplayable.
But I and many other great modders worked hard on it - and we still do -
and after 12 years of modding the game is better than most AAA studios would dare tackling.

The thing is, we're here working day and night, not for profit, but for passion. You can't compete with that.
A studio has to balance production cost and time frame, has to make compromises. We don't. We strive for perfection at any cost.

Sure we have less tools, but you'd be amazed with some wonders that were achieved from hex-editing files,
improving the game in ways that would otherwise be impossible. Developers are not higher in the food-chain,
we have some extraordinary people modding games for free, doing outstanding work.

So, want your game to sell more and please more people? Make it as moddable as possible.
Mods are the reason why PC games are 1000x more fun than console games.

Build a closed-game that is what it is, and regardless of how good it is, it will eventually die.
Build a platform instead, open to modding, and decades down the line you'll still be selling copies.

A closed-game will never be THE perfect game to anyone.
But when you can mod it to your tastes? It can be THE perfect game to EVERYONE.
I agree, and most likely so does Julhelm and KFG. They are striving to make Cold Waters as moddable as possible, after all.

wathomas777
06-30-17, 06:29 PM

pretty pleaaase ?

keltos

This was a myth. In my 10 1/2 years in the navy, no submarine carried stinger missiles.

1. A stinger launch would automatically reveal your exact position and had less than optimal chance of success.

2. Even a successful stinger launch would reveal your position. A helo is a small price to pay for a submarine, and escort ships usually had several

3. There is no effective way to target an airborne target from a submarine.

Using a stinger mast was fun in RSR but in no way accurate.

caine007
07-03-17, 03:31 AM
Some sort of friendly activity would be awesome. Gets lonely out there with you against the entire Russian fleet.

Haukka81
07-03-17, 05:16 AM
Some sort of friendly activity would be awesome. Gets lonely out there with you against the entire Russian fleet.

+1000 for this, neutrals & friendlies would make ID and contact clasification more fun :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delgard
07-03-17, 07:31 AM
A submarine tender for outlying areas. Maybe in the Azores or in Japan for Mediterranean or Northwest PAC OPS. It isn't right to run out of ice cream.

Mitchmaker
07-03-17, 12:51 PM
yup more than one sub base would be fine. i would guess in a ww3 scenario some nato nations would have provided bases for the us fleet.

and yes some allied forces would be cool. i'd love to hear contact reports from norwegian submarines or fishing vessels or cargo ships strawling arround. just some more live would be nice.

Delgard
07-03-17, 03:47 PM
Yeah, Allied reports from Norway or Sweden, maybe. And female!

YoYo
07-03-17, 04:01 PM
Hi-res pack for the SKY !!!!
Pretty please! :yep:

Marko_Ramius
07-03-17, 10:45 PM
Hi to all of you guys :salute:

First, let me say thank you to the dev team to give us a new naval game, ton of thanks for this.

I just bought this game and just began to play for a couple of hours, and the only thing i think about, for now, is the lake of a sonar station. It's a submarine game, isn't it ? To me, this is just weird to not have one, with all the game-play involved.

The missing friendly vessels ; and some kind of generic mission in campaigns would be nice.

Those things have probably been reported before in this thread, but i put my own voice on those things.

And as Philipp_ said, make the game as "moddable" as possible and everyone (or almost..) will be happy !

But the more important thing for the moment is : Thank you for this game :Kaleun_Salute:

MrBboy
07-04-17, 04:57 AM
Hello y'all

Here is my suggestion/question: Is it possible to improve damage models so it would be possible to split ship in half and breaches would be in 3D like in Silent Hunter 5?

(I know SH5 is buggy as hell but damage model is just wow - at least I like it.)

Ruslan
08-08-17, 11:52 PM
I'd like to see the company passing over the Soviet Union - (new surface units of the fleet for the United States,specific types of naval weapons for the USSR and USA )

I wrote a review on Steam and voted for :up:

origl_main_raptor2
08-09-17, 06:07 AM
But before I add to your "To Do" list:

THANK YOU

All your long hours working on this sim paid off in the creation of one Hellva sim.

OK, here goes.....

1) The ability to reduce the size of HUD windows, rather than having them disappear when leaving the full screen Tactical Map. Ideally the right hand HUD would show the sub's tubes, while the left would have the same display that shows up when you are in full screen Tact map display, ie boat's info, contact info, weapon info.

2) A TIME EXPANDSION feature, by this I mean a way to slow time down. After all you're trying to run a whole boat by yourself, rather than one set of crew ID'ing sonar contacts, while another set of crew is steering the boat, and so on and so forth, and you're trying to remember which key(s) do which.

Once again, thank you for your hard work and dedication in creating this sim.
This retired systems "nerd" now has something that will keep me well occupied and happy during the coming winter months and beyond.

JotDora
08-15-17, 08:41 AM
For me it would be:

- more Mission types in the campaign
- a soviet Campaign :arrgh!::yeah:
- more different sub skins

Another thing regarding Sounds. You could ask this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pyxf2iU-oY (Jive Turkey (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9bMgCQyFNaMPsK9GtzM5dQ)) for recording a few sounds. As far as I understood he is an ex submariner and knows how to speak the correct commands and sounds just as you would expect. He is doing a lot of live streams and seems to be dedicated to the game and submarines. Just a thought.

Regards

Sebastian

Ruslan
08-19-17, 08:13 PM
Would like to submit a proposal for game developers(Killerfish Games) for Cold Waters.If you deem it useful for the game.

All contacts on the global map for the player should not be classified - (not marked as an enemy or a friend ship or a submarine (it can be as friendly and enemy contacts). And when you are already in contact(submerged) you as the commander of the submarine with the help of signatures(radar or esm antenna and periscope) identify enemy or ally.And after that take a decision about further actions of your submarine.

Of course you can enable the option in the game settings that would be classified low contacts display immediately,but it's not fun and I play really.

Мoreover,during the sinking of the ally you get a penalty (loss of awards),translations into more old and weak submarine.

I think it would be more interesting to play for most oldschool players,and plausible.:Kaleun_Wink:

Delgard
08-19-17, 08:41 PM
The ones that "appear" on the global map are the ones that are detected by some sort of Intelligence collection. With that in mind I wish there were more 1-2 vessel groups that don't show up via collection that do need to be identified. That would require having the U.S. signatures in the database.

Also, countries in the AO have navies. Would those vessels change allegiance? It might require going to PD to check what flag it is flying.

I also have to say that I wish the occasional juicy capital ship could be found in harbors. Again, a random generational thing. Always good to low-crawl along the bottom of a harbor on a dark and stormy night.

Just having the rare thought...