PDA

View Full Version : Help needed concerning sonar modelling

Hawk66
06-11-11, 04:29 PM
Hey guys,

still collecting stuff for my planned indie sim. Concerning sonar modelling I found a lot of information on the web (for example the Harpoon 3 sonar model) apart one thing: How long does it take to identify (classification) a contact (different phases like sub or surface to the point where a contact is classified with a high degree of probability).

If anybody has resources or ideas how to model this rougly(algorithm correlated to signal strength/time and other parameters, I'd be happy.

The AI classification in Dangerous Waters seems not to be very realistic, so I'd not like to use that approach.

magicstix
08-31-11, 09:56 PM
Read:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/es310/SNR_PROP/snr_prop.htm

It provides a good basic overview of sonar modeling.

What you're interested in more or less is the figure of merit. This gives the probability of detecting the contact 50% of the time.

Classification is a bit tricky since it will depend on the contact and the environment. The best way to model whether or not an AI has successfully classified a target would probably be to figure out the FOM of a few sources on the target and then say that the AI has successfully classified the target if X number of sources have a high enough FOM.