PDA

View Full Version : [REL] Conning Tower Compass Fix

ddrgn
03-08-10, 07:35 PM
This mod fixes the non functioning compass in the conning tower.

Enjoy!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//downloads.php?do=file&id=1576

ddrgn
03-08-10, 07:36 PM
oops wrong section please move....

wetwarev7
03-08-10, 09:10 PM
Nice! Any plans to fix any of the other broken gauges?

ddrgn
03-08-10, 10:34 PM
Which ones?

Ship Hunter
03-09-10, 12:42 AM
The clocks in the boat are not working. expect the one at the sonar station, there is one needle functioning, the other isn't there. All the other clocks are simply textures.

TopCat
03-09-10, 12:57 AM
A working TDC in the Conning Tower would be more than nice! :yeah:

kylania
03-09-10, 02:40 AM
Does this not work on the VIIA?

ddrgn
03-09-10, 02:55 AM
A working TDC in the Conning Tower would be more than nice! :yeah:

So far that's not possible, i think that the devs took off clickable dials. I already tried to enable them. Maybe someone else knows how... ducimus *cough* eeeehemmmm

ddrgn
03-09-10, 02:58 AM
Does this not work on the VIIA?

Works with A, I can confirm some configs do not allow this work and I am not sure why. I played LAN tonight 3 of us, same configs same mods, and one of us couldn't see the dial move.

ddrgn
03-09-10, 02:59 AM
The clocks in the boat are not working. expect the one at the sonar station, there is one needle functioning, the other isn't there. All the other clocks are simply textures.

Will check that tomorrow. But I am sure someone else can figure out by the time I will get home ;)

kylania
03-09-10, 03:16 AM
Ooh, does it just move or is interact-able and able to steer the boat? Maybe I misunderstood something?

ddrgn
03-09-10, 03:21 AM
Stock the games conning tower compass does not move its stuck at north. This makes it so the compass will show the true heading when looking at it. Now I had trouble getting the inner dial to work that's stuck at 0 ;[

Therion_Prime
03-09-10, 03:45 AM
So far that's not possible, i think that the devs took off clickable dials. I already tried to enable them. Maybe someone else knows how... ducimus *cough* eeeehemmmm

Look at the three switches at the radar station. Thay are clickable and work.

Frederf
03-09-10, 03:57 AM
Yeah the devs never touch their old code. There are plenty of features leaking into SH5 that don't belong. Just try holding Ctrl and messing with the mouse as you're standing on the bridge... bring a towel! (Oh and save because it crashes the game). The old battlestations command is still there despite it being replaced by the new RPG command... and there are plenty of other examples. Clickable 3D hotspots are still there.

TopCat
03-09-10, 08:12 AM
I really do not understand why the devs took things out of the game that were there before, like a working, interactive TDC. On the one hand, they take the effort to model a whole sub where you can walk through, on the other hand they do not make all these gauges, dials and switches operable and interactive. That's just nonsense. What's the use of being able to go to the torpedo room, when you can't do anything there? :damn::down:

ddrgn
03-10-10, 11:04 AM
Look at the three switches at the radar station. Thay are clickable and work.

The keyword there being "station"

jlederer
03-10-10, 06:03 PM
Good job, this will be nice.

Frederf
03-10-10, 07:57 PM
The keyword there being "station"

Actually no, you don't have to be anchored and "in" the station to move the switches. You can flip them in the run-around hows-the-soup captain mode.

McBob
03-11-10, 05:11 AM
I think I have got the clock by the attack periscope working properly. Need to do a bit of testing to make sure that the hour hand is moving correctly. Do not seem to have any luck with the others though.

Quite new to playing with the 3d stuff, but I am wondering if the hands are missing on the other clocks (except the minute hand at the sonar) and whether I can copy the ones from the working clock across.

Have spent ages trying to make the dials clickable. As suggested above I also noticed that the radar switches work and have been trying to link them to functions such as speed. However they now move to display the speed, but when clicked the radar is all that is still adjusted. I can not find where the link is. Could it be in the scripting?

Therion_Prime
03-11-10, 05:27 AM
In the radar.py there is a function call "from InteractionManager".
Wonder where or what this InteractionManager is.
There is a suspicious *.act file in the root folder, something with "Interaction", can't remember the exact name.

McBob
03-11-10, 06:05 AM
The interaction manager is something that can be applied to an object along with defining it as a Dial. It is there for the radar switches, but I could not see anything that I could change to link to speed for example. Whereas with the dial settings I could change to link to speed instead.

As for the clocks - have the radar and control room working (hands in Radar very faint so difficult to see). Sonor - one hand is actually behind the face which is why it can't be seen.

McBob
03-11-10, 06:24 AM
Thanks for spotting the scripting - I think we are now getting somewhere. I have manged to use the scripting that is inplace for the radar.

Now when I click the range change switch it activates ahead flank. Useless I know, but if I can get interaction managers on the dials we want and somehow add them to the script then maybe interactive dials will be possible. Although I would rather Ubi sorted it out properly in a patch.

Therion_Prime
03-11-10, 07:46 AM
Thanks for spotting the scripting - I think we are now getting somewhere. I have manged to use the scripting that is inplace for the radar.

Now when I click the range change switch it activates ahead flank. Useless I know, but if I can get interaction managers on the dials we want and somehow add them to the script then maybe interactive dials will be possible. Although I would rather Ubi sorted it out properly in a patch.

Sounds very promising, keep it up! :up:

Frederf
03-11-10, 05:38 PM
Indeed I'm interested in creating a supermod which relies a lot on clickable 3D elements. Just out of curiosity's sake, can a 2D gauge pop up on a 3D hotspot click?

Michal788
03-12-10, 06:38 AM
Indeed I'm interested in creating a supermod which relies a lot on clickable 3D elements. Just out of curiosity's sake, can a 2D gauge pop up on a 3D hotspot click?
That would be awesome! Im waiting for that.

SabreHawk
03-12-10, 06:31 PM
Hmmmm, my bridge compass works just fine, I just cant read the numbers at the top of it because of the angle I have to look at it from.(and also because it is so small) If it were tilted toward me more I could, or if I could move forward a tad more I could look down at it more. But at the angle I have to look at it from the center bearing dial hides the numbers at the top.
the one down inside the conning tower works too, but it's needle is at the bottom, not at the top where it should be. As is the same with the one in the control room.
the only compass that has the needle at the top is at the sonar room. All others have it at the bottom. Now I can still tell what our heading is, it's just easier if the needle were at the top.
This is on the VIIA of course as I haven't been in the VIIB or C yet.

McBob
03-14-10, 01:57 PM
Have got all clocks to work except the sonar (where one of the hands is behind the face of the clock) and the rear torpedo room of the VIIA. The problem with the later appears to be the xyz axis of the hands in the 3d model. The hands are actually rotating, but around the wrong axis.

Unforunately without software to edit the 3d model I do not think anything can be done.

I am going to do my best to check the other guages and will then release a mod.

The lack of ability to edit the 3d model is also leaving a bit stumped on clickable guages as I believe in order to be clickable there needs to be a dummy (i.e. not visible) mesh called something like 'mouse overlay'. All the clickable items such as periscopes, nav map and radar switches have thisand it seems to define the area that when the mouse is over it is clickable. I have found 2 compressed air guages that also have this (but have no coding for when clicked). I plan to try and code some simple reaction to being clicked. If this is possible then I believe the mouse overlay is the way forward.

Can clicking an item bring up a 2d menu item? - possibly. I will give it a go on the radar items and let you know.

lucagaeta
03-14-10, 02:45 PM
Have got all clocks to work except the sonar (where one of the hands is behind the face of the clock) and the rear torpedo room of the VIIA. The problem with the later appears to be the xyz axis of the hands in the 3d model. The hands are actually rotating, but around the wrong axis.

Unforunately without software to edit the 3d model I do not think anything can be done.

I am going to do my best to check the other guages and will then release a mod.

The lack of ability to edit the 3d model is also leaving a bit stumped on clickable guages as I believe in order to be clickable there needs to be a dummy (i.e. not visible) mesh called something like 'mouse overlay'. All the clickable items such as periscopes, nav map and radar switches have thisand it seems to define the area that when the mouse is over it is clickable. I have found 2 compressed air guages that also have this (but have no coding for when clicked). I plan to try and code some simple reaction to being clicked. If this is possible then I believe the mouse overlay is the way forward.

Can clicking an item bring up a 2d menu item? - possibly. I will give it a go on the radar items and let you know.

to get the clocks working + other dial Just download my mod.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=164550

Regards Luca

McBob
03-14-10, 03:09 PM
Thanks Luca - I don't know how I missed your post - that saves me some time.

SabreHawk
03-14-10, 03:41 PM
Ooopps, my bad fellers. I was thinking this was about the compass up on the bridge, so yes indeed the one inside the tower doesn't work.

Now if the one on the bridge could just be slightly bigger or tilted back towards me a little I could read it.
Hehe, funny isn't it the one I can read doesn't work, and the one too small to read does.

Thanks for the MOD, you modders are the Dolphin's yelp.:cool: