PDA

View Full Version : The Priorities for Modding...your Opinion?

Stevepine
03-08-10, 05:45 PM
This is purely just mine:

1) Interface - Obviously ;)

2) Aiming system - maybe not a 100% change but certainly a change
Even when NOT using the join up the circles method... ( too easy )
you can just use the map and torpedo path line on the mini map and then fine tune it by altering AOB and bearing to be obviously just right for a hit. ( still too easy ) The only way I can get it to be really hard is by diasabling map contact update..... then its darn near impossible...well to me! lol

3) A. I . without the darstardly destroyers mod enemy ships seem too easy...lol but with that lovely mod ...holy schmitt! not sure I can cope with it! lol

4) The Crew -- for me this must be next because its just ruins the feeling of emersion when I watch my sub dive everytime but the watch crew only go below when they are up their necks and heads in sea water.
And the morale system -- of course.

What do you all think?

Ducimus
03-08-10, 06:00 PM
3) A. I . without the darstardly destroyers mod enemy ships seem too easy...lol but with that lovely mod ...holy schmitt! not sure I can cope with it! lol

Hell, i was just getting warmed up. (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1202436&postcount=9) This is the Atlantic, i could have gone full tilt and not held back. :haha:

Main thing is the UI. Other thing is you'll likely see more patchs, which will throw most mods out of compatibility. Loads of fun for all.

DevilofEchoes
03-08-10, 06:02 PM
1. Interface

2. Damage models for the ships. like not based off of HP. but with compartment flooding and location damage and all that.

3/4. Fixed campaign missions so that i can actually play campaign. lol. i beat the objectives and then nothing happens. ever. =(

3/4. Crew/Morale Issue

5. weather forecast. i sat in enemy port for 5 days during a storm-- hurricane? and i couldnt find the docked ships unless i was about less than 10 meters from them nor target them and then had to hit emergency back full so we didnt crash and die. lol. i would like to know when my operations are going to be substantially interrupted. :nope: upside is that i sailed right through a enemy warship fleet while surfaced on accident during the storm and we didnt even see each other till i almost hit one. i was also out on the bridge at the time playing with the deck gun. :rotfl2:

TheDarkWraith
03-08-10, 06:05 PM
This is purely just mine:

1) Interface - Obviously ;)

I'm trying but this not being able to log on and test is not making it easy :x

L3TUC3
03-08-10, 06:20 PM
How about orders for the gun crew besides "fire at will". Hold fire perchance? It'd dreadfully annoying to have the crew waste shots because you can only stop them from shooting by securing the gun or diving. Plain silly.

TheDarkWraith
03-08-10, 06:21 PM
How about orders for the gun crew besides "fire at will". Hold fire perchance? It'd dreadfully annoying to have the crew waste shots because you can only stop them from shooting by securing the gun or diving. Plain silly.

patience, have patience.....:03:

ReFaN
03-08-10, 06:27 PM
a Toilet of course! including noises

BaronVonDuncs
03-08-10, 06:27 PM
I don't mind the UI all that much but the destroyer AI seems a bit weak and weird at times. Not as scared of them as I remember being in SH3 or 4. Although i am wondering if this is an early war thing and they will get tougher as you go along. Might give the D6 mod a go although that seems to go too far the other way.

The planes are a bit weird they just fly over and do nothing, ok maybe they don't have the weapons to engage but so far no one comes along to check out the radio report either so I am now just ignoring them whereas before I was ready to crash dive as soon as I heard the damn things.

The ships catch fire but then sail off. Would like to see a much better damage model with flooding etc and the fire damage being continuous unless it goes out. Its a bit weird to see a ship ablaze from stem to stern and still sailing off.

Stevepine
03-08-10, 06:42 PM
I'm trying but this not being able to log on and test is not making it easy :x

Mate, after the work you have already done, everyone here thinks youre pretty much a legend.... So dont worry. :up: We will all wait as long as is needed.

The Fishlord
03-08-10, 06:50 PM
For starters I'd say the deck gun. I can at least bear the rest, if I'm sure my GODDAM DECK CREW won't waste anither THIRTY SHOTS on that freighter that's SINKING ANYWAY. :damn:

Yes in all seriousness, for me it's that, then flooding system, then morale, then perhaps a RSRDC type mod...Honestly, the UI isn't too bad for me. I get that it's unrealistic though so I could go for a touch up. Guess I just have to make due with the current SH4 ports.

Overall my impression of SH5 isn't that it's worse or better than SH4...I think it has about the same level of quality at release, and its style is just...different. But I can foresee SH5 becoming THE sub game to play with its moddability.

mookiemookie
03-08-10, 06:57 PM
1. Watch crew that spots ships in time to react.
2. Number of merchant ship types.

Ducimus
03-08-10, 07:03 PM
>> RE Missing commands/functionality

That kinda falls under UI.

>> 1. Watch crew that spots ships in time to react.

I'd leave crewman alone until its known how much those skill trees they have effect their performance.

>> 2. Number of merchant ship types.

IMO, get the skeleton of the game working first, put meat on the bones 2nd.

de vliegende hollander
03-08-10, 07:19 PM
more u-boat types
interface without running true the ship
etc etc

grt henk

TheDarkWraith
03-08-10, 07:21 PM

I'd leave crewman alone until its known how much those skill trees they have effect their performance.

exactly. I don't see them changing the UI via patch but everything else is ??

bigboywooly
03-08-10, 07:22 PM
1. Watch crew that spots ships in time to react.
2. Number of merchant ship types.

What he said ^

Deck gun is an annoyance but am sick of sinking Libertys ( or Liberty doubles - NKL ) in 1940

I also find it a real annoyance to have the S boat tender Carl Peters in game and no freakin S boats

Also the KM grid would be a nice touch :doh:

gimpy117
03-08-10, 07:24 PM
Aiming system. without a true lock its nearly impossible to do anything. it it seems some ships are calculated off of different points...i tried the smokestack method on a destroyer and got crazy numbers for range and speed!

i would rather see a true "auto target"

mookiemookie
03-08-10, 09:13 PM

Disagree on the first, agree on the second.

First part: Part of the basic functionality...the "why am I out here!" part of the game is to sink ships. When you have a watch crew that doesn't further those ends, then I'd say that becomes a priority.

Second part: you're right. Let's get basic functionality down before adding variety - but a man can dream. :sunny:

Ducimus
03-08-10, 10:20 PM
Well, theres a reason why i say that missing commands and such fall under UI. The main reason being commands.cfg, which is where most of the missing functionality sans TDC is being accessed. Then theres the TDC itself, which can only be done by UI, and is missing functionality.

As commands.cfg goes, In the end there's going to be two different key configurations for this game. (heck ive started a 3rd one for my own use based off of TMO). But my thought is, that if i were a modder, and wanted to bring back missing functionality, the UI is the best way to go about it because it would be univeral, and would work regardless of what keyboard configuration is being used. On top of that dan already stated in another post that the UI is most likely never going to be patched. So if one wanted to really pour some midnight oil into a mod, that would be the one to work on.

kylania
03-08-10, 10:33 PM
Definitely missing functions and tools. UI stuff, but what I don't want is SH3 or SH4. Seen a lot of "mod the SH3 TDC exactly!" and "I need my SH4 buttons!" type posts, but I don't really. I just need the same features, but not in the same old way. That's why I love the 3 dials mod. It gives us tools I NEED, but doesn't try to exactly replicate SH4/3.

Also need a decent damage/sinking system. This All HP or Nothing is enough to drive me from the game. :)

Everything else is really candy for me. I just want access to information and the ability to efficiently use it.

TopCat
03-09-10, 08:37 AM
I agree with Ducimus and TDW. I don't think ubi will bring us back all the cool stuff they took out of this game by themselves. So the UI and the interacitve dials, gauges and instruments inside the boat should be the modders first priority (and as I said times and times before: TDC!), together with a challenging AI.

I wish I had time enough and the wits to mod, but unfortunately I've none of them. So thanks a lot to all the modders who'll make this game worth keeping on our PCs! :yeah:

coronas
03-09-10, 03:23 PM
More merchant ships, realistic damage/sinkings, lifeboats and accurate id book.
No more quiet crews going down. A little panic would be good.