PDA

View Full Version : [REQ] Ships on Horizon and realistic Sinking

senjorlossi
03-07-10, 08:44 PM
Hi Guys,

here are two things that I would love to see corrected:

1. Distant ships donīt really come up behind the horizon (as they should), but actually "rise up" within the horizon. No big deal for gameplay, but looks a bit odd (linke SH 1). Maybe the horizon could be lowered somehow, so that distant ships appear correct with their mast over, not under, the horizon? Hope you get what I mean...

I think in SH 3 Ships apperared very nicely with their masts first on the horizon.

2. More important (and most probably easyer to do):

Realistic damage and sinking behaviour of the ships. It seems that, for now, every freighter needs at least 2 fishes, then explodes and sinks on more or less even keel. I think it would be very important to have a more realistic sinking beahvior back as it was already available in SH 3. Also, I would love to see ships actually capsizing. I have never seen that with SH 3 (donīt know if the damage model allows ships to capsize at all).

Would be great if some of the talented modders would look at these aspects.

BTW: A 3-times "horray" to all the modders out there. You have already changed SH 5 into an enjoyable game for me!:salute:

Regards,
Stefan.

Kilgore87
03-07-10, 08:59 PM
Odd..I've taken out a few merchant ships and even destroyers with just 1 shot. Sometimes I've cracked a ship in two and occasionally even broken off the front or back.

I've also seen a few ships capsizing. :)

Soviet_Warlord
03-07-10, 10:05 PM
Yeah I think the ship damage is a little too simplistic as is right now. Many merchants seem to absorb two torpedoes without much effect, and then suddenly explode and sink like a stone when the rest of the hitpoints are taken (by further torpedoes or shelling). Flooding does not seem to have a significant effect on ship damage - ie. it is rare that you can just sit back and let a ship flood itself to the bottom.

Highbury
03-07-10, 10:11 PM
it is rare that you can just sit back and let a ship flood itself to the bottom.

I have yet to see it. They just seem to keep floating until you deplete the hit points with torps or guns, then sink. I used to like getting a hit or two on a ship, then watch it to see if it would be going down. With SHV, if it is still moving you have to hit it again. Damage needs work badly.

Pilot37
03-08-10, 02:41 PM
Hi Guys,

2. More important (and most probably easyer to do):

Realistic damage and sinking behaviour of the ships. It seems that, for now, every freighter needs at least 2 fishes, then explodes and sinks on more or less even keel. I think it would be very important to have a more realistic sinking beahvior back as it was already available in SH 3. Also, I would love to see ships actually capsizing. I have never seen that with SH 3 (donīt know if the damage model allows ships to capsize at all).

This is the most important mod.....Cant see the fun in knocking hitpoints of a ship....that is what it feels like.....lots of fire, lots of holes, but just eye candy and no flooding model?

senjorlossi
03-08-10, 09:29 PM
Another thing I noticed today:

The bow-waves of ships are shining through the waves.

I made an attack onto a convoy in bad wheahter today and loved how the visibility through the periscope was limited due to the high waves. But I had the bow-waves of all the ships shining through all the time, which of course killed any realism.

Maybe an issue tied to the transparent water? Is there a way to switch that off?

Regards,
Stefan.

EDIT:
No, Itīs not an issue of transparent water. Switched it off and the spray-water and wake of the other ships were still visible when looking at them through bigger waves.

piri_reis
03-09-10, 04:22 AM
1. Distant ships donīt really come up behind the horizon (as they should), but actually "rise up" within the horizon. No big deal for gameplay, but looks a bit odd (linke SH 1). Maybe the horizon could be lowered somehow, so that distant ships appear correct with their mast over, not under, the horizon? Hope you get what I mean...

I think in SH 3 Ships apperared very nicely with their masts first on the horizon.

This must be a bug, and I hope it's fixed next time around. It definitely effects game play, and immersion, I can't see the hull of the ship even in clear weather, 7km range..
I agree SH3 had it much much better. First, smoke on the horizon then masts.. (got better with mods)