PDA

View Full Version : [REL] Old Style SH Controls (familiar 3 dials) for UI v1.3.1

Pages : [1] 2 3

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 04:17 PM
This mod has been discontinued. It has been made a part of another mod. See here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1332669&postcount=1

Pre-requisites:

YOU MUST BE PATCHED TO THE LATEST VERSION RELEASED BY UBISOFT. Run your game updater (\Ubisoft\SilentHunter5\Support\GameUpdater\gu.exe ) to see if you are running the latest version of the game or not.

Old Style SH constrols for SH5 by TheDarkWraith
version 1.3.1
This mod will bring the familiar 3 dials back to SH5. The dials can be customized by using a different .dds file. See the readme.txt file in \Dials.
I've also included the Fuel, CO2, O2, and battery bargraph to this mod so the user can monitor levels.
The dials have two states.
The first dial has the states of: engine order telegraph and speed.
The second dial has states of heading and rudder angle (though angle displayed on dial doesn't match rudder deflection currently. Still sorting that out).
The third dial has states of shallow depth and deep depth.
To change states simply click on the button below the dial.
The dials will expand when the mouse is inside them and they will contract when mouse is outside them (like zoom in/out). Individual zoom levels can be set for throttle, speed, heading, rudder, depth260, and depth25. In the file (\data\Scripts\Menu\Page layout.py) find this section and change these values:
#
# Base Zoom levels
BaseZoomThrottle = 200 #(for throttle)
BaseZoomSpeed = 200 #(for speed)
BaseZoomHeading = 200 #(for heading)
BaseZoomRudder = 200 #(for rudder)
BaseZoomDepth260 = 200 #(for depth260)
BaseZoomDepth25 = 200 #(for depth25)
User can lock out dials from zooming by adjust these values in the file (\data\Scripts\Menu\Page layout.py):
#
ThrottleCanZoom = True #(set to false to disable zooming)
SpeedCanZoom = True #(set to false to disable zooming)
HeadingCanZoom = True #(set to false to disable zooming)
RudderCanZoom = True #(set to false to disable zooming)
Depth260CanZoom = True #(set to false to disable zooming)
Depth25CanZoom = True #(set to false to disable zooming)
The animation rate of the dials expanding/contracting can also be changed. Find this section in the file (\data\Scripts\Menu\Page layout.py):
#
# rate at which dials grow and shrink (in seconds)
DialsAnimationSpeed = 0.10 (change this value to change animation rate)
There are three versions of the TDC included - All dials, minimal dials, and no TDC. All dials will take control of the functionality of the SH5 interface for a torpoedo solution (and associated controls in the SH5 stock UI are removed). Minimal dials just exposes the dials not exposed by the stock SH5 UI and also uses the stock UI. No TDC removes the TDC from the mod. The TDC interfaces have been included on the obs periscope, attack periscope, and UZO. The mod defaults to minimal dials TDC.
To install All dials:
navigate to where you unzipped the mod to and open it up. Open up the folder 'TDC'. Select the folder 'All Dials' and open it up. Right click on 'data' folder and select copy. Navigate back to where you unzipped the mod to and open it back up. Select the 'MODS' folder and open it up. Select the 'OldStyleSHControls_1_3_1_ByTheDarkWraith' folder and open it up. Right click in any empty area and select paste. Say yes to all confirmation messages. Navigate back to where you unzipped the mod to and open it back up. Select the 'MODS' folder and right click on it. Select copy. Navigate to your '\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\' folder and open it up. Right click in an empty area and select paste. Enable via JSGME (this assumes you setup JSGME to use the 'MODS' folder as default).
To install minimal dials:
navigate to where you unzipped the mod to and open it up. Open up the folder 'TDC'. Select the folder 'Minimal Dials' and open it up. Right click on 'data' folder and select copy. Navigate back to where you unzipped the mod to and open it back up. Select the 'MODS' folder and open it up. Select the 'OldStyleSHControls_1_3_1_ByTheDarkWraith' folder and open it up. Right click in any empty area and select paste. Say yes to all confirmation messages. Navigate back to where you unzipped the mod to and open it back up. Select the 'MODS' folder and right click on it. Select copy. Navigate to your '\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\' folder and open it up. Right click in an empty area and select paste. Enable via JSGME (this assumes you setup JSGME to use the 'MODS' folder as default).
To install No TDC:
navigate to where you unzipped the mod to and open it up. Open up the folder 'TDC'. Select the folder 'No TDC' and open it up. Right click on 'data' folder and select copy. Navigate back to where you unzipped the mod to and open it back up. Select the 'MODS' folder and open it up. Select the 'OldStyleSHControls_1_3_1_ByTheDarkWraith' folder and open it up. Right click in any empty area and select paste. Say yes to all confirmation messages. Navigate back to where you unzipped the mod to and open it back up. Select the 'MODS' folder and right click on it. Select copy. Navigate to your '\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\' folder and open it up. Right click in an empty area and select paste. Enable via JSGME (this assumes you setup JSGME to use the 'MODS' folder as default).

A BIG thanks to maerean_m for information and assistance he gave in helping me make the TDC come to life for the obs periscope, attack periscope, and UZO. Thanks again!!
The default text is English. There is a new folder called '\Text'. In it you will find folders of all the different languages I have for the mod. Navigate to you language and then copy the menu.txt file and paste in '\MODS\OldStyleSHControls_1_3_1_ByTheDarkWraith\da ta\Menu'. Then copy the 'MODS' folder to your '\Ubisoft\SilentHunter5\' folder (this assumes that you setup JSGME to use the MODS folder as default). Enable via JSGME.
Current languages supported by this are:
English
German
French

Contributors (\Included mods from others):
briklebritt - new dials. You can find them under \Dials\German\metric_briklebritt (these are the default dials used in this mod). His mod can be found under \Included mods from others\dials_briklebritt. His documentation file can be found under \Included mods from others\dials_briklebritt\documentation. He also contributed to German translations in menu.txt file.
idl0r - German translations of menu items added in menu.txt file.
TLT - French translation of menu.txt file.
FLB Sale U999 - used his TDC_metric.dds file for the dials in the TDC

Current additions working on for next version:
- Adding scrolling digits for speed, depth, and heading. Speed and depth have been coded but still working on heading/rudder
- quick buttons for various commands

This is JSGME ready. Navigate to where you unzipped the mod to and open it up. Select the 'MODS' folder and right click on it. Select copy. Navigate to your '\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\' folder and open it up. Right click in an empty area and select paste. Enable via JSGME.
(this assumes you setup JSGME to use the 'MODS' folder as default)

Changelog:
v1.0 - first official release
- made dials customizable by using a new Dials.dds file (\data\Menu\Gui)
- the background that the dials are attached to and the battery,fuel,CO2,and compressed air can be customized by using a new hud.dds file (\data\menu\Gui)
- change structure of folders in the files to use only \data\menu\Gui instead of \data\menu\Skins\American(or German)\Gui\Layout
v1.0.1 - fixed missing tooltips for Battery level, CO2 level, Fuel level, and compressed air level
- fixed folder structure of zip file so that people unfamiliar with JSGME will find it easy to install this mod
v1.1.0 - new dials supplied by briklebritt used as default dials
- added folder '\Included mods from others'. You can find their complete mod there along with documentation (if supplied)
- added ability for dials to zoom in/out
v1.1.1 - added new folder called '\Text'. In it contains folders of all the different languages I have for this mod.
- renamed some global variables in Page layout.py to give better understanding of purpose
- fixed 'stuttering' problem with dials when mousing in/out
- fixed problem of other dials zooming in when one already zoomed in. User must mouse out of zoomed dial to be able to mouse in to another one
- zoomed dials dynamically reposition themselves when zoomed in to prevent any part of them from going offscreen (either the right edge or the bottom)
- changed when the map tools expand in the Page Default Hud.py file. They were set to expand when the map was in the 'Maximized' state. Now they expand in the 'TAI' state (which is first click of expand arrow on map)
- Removed 'ghosts' of SH4 style controls. There was the possibility that user could click on one and cause a CTD
- Default size of map on first click of expand arrow has been increased from default width and height to width = PageDefaultHud_Feedback_MapTools.Height + PageDefaultHud_Feedback_DepthGroup.Height and height = PageDefaultHud_Feedback_MapTools.Height + PageDefaultHud_Feedback_DepthGroup.Height thus making the map size the height and width of the expanded map tools and the DepthGroup's combined height to it's left (aesthetics)
- Each dial (and each dial's state) has it's own zoom level. User can change these to suit their liking
- Animation rate of zoom in/out can be changed by user to suit their liking
- Messages box moved to just left of battery/CO2/Fuel/Compressed air box
- Item notes moved to just above dials
- other items moved so as to not interfere with items moved by this mod
- New values for the dials (when you click on a dial to order it to a new depth, speed, etc.) now don't show up as 'small' hands. They appear as the size they should.
- Changed folder structure of mod. This mod now incorporates a MODS folder so end user can easily copy to their \Ubisoft\SilentHunter5\MODS folder.
- added the 'standard' depth controls back (located under the map controls just left of the map). Disabled the 'advanced' controls associated with map
v1.2.0 - added FLB Sale U 999's torpedo spread angle dial to UZO and attack periscope
v1.3.0 - removed FLB Sale U 999's torpedo spread angle dial
- added TDC with all dials to obs scope, attack periscope, and UZO!
v1.3.1 - centered Periscope and Observation scope oculars in the screen
- moved some TDC dials lower in the display and adjusted x offsets to the sides since centering oculars
- removed unneeded items from display in attack and observation scope pages
- added ability to lock out dials from zooming. Mod defaults to all dials able to zoom.
- added depth under keel display (old SH5 interface item)
- added the abilitiy to use TDC all dials, TDC minimal dials, or no TDC. Mod defaults to TDC minimal dials.
- fixed bug where if user has a dial zoomed and mouses over another dial and the previous dial zoomes out and user orders command on this dial the new value would show in the zoomed state
- fixed bug where dials and all would show outside of the mission game state

TheDarkWraith

you can find this mod incorporated into a combined UI mod here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1332669&postcount=1

TheDarkWraith :|\\

Sailor Steve
03-04-10, 04:20 PM
More cool stuff!:rock:

Heretic
03-04-10, 04:22 PM
Keep up the good work. These quick and dirty mods are what we need right now.

GDFTigerTank
03-04-10, 04:22 PM
This is awesome. thank you!

Vikinger
03-04-10, 04:23 PM
Now we are talking :D

Thank you for this mod. its well needed.

kapitan_zur_see
03-04-10, 04:24 PM
you rules, mate! :arrgh!:

piri_reis
03-04-10, 04:27 PM
:up:

Ducimus
03-04-10, 04:28 PM
Oh i am so D/L this when i get home!

Thanks again!

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 04:28 PM
do these dials continue to show while in the sub pen? Someone noticed that the single compass mod one does. If so, I'll have to move them to another page.
And before anyone asks, Yes, I design offline also.....

sergei
03-04-10, 04:35 PM
Nicely done, this is so needed :up:

How do switch between the 2 dial states? By clicking underneath them, a la SH3?

I notice along the top left hand side the stations bar from SH3.
Is this intentional. Are you planning to do something with it?

Good work.

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 04:38 PM
Nicely done, this is so needed :up:

How do switch between the 2 dial states? By clicking underneath them, a la SH3?

I notice along the top left hand side the stations bar from SH3.
Is this intentional. Are you planning to do something with it?

Good work.

Yes, click underneath the dial to switch states.
That would be an oops on the bar on the left hand side. I'll have to remove that - I'm trying to get it to work currently but it's very buggy.

mookiemookie
03-04-10, 04:38 PM
http://imgur.com/m7ndq.png

Bless you!

Heretic
03-04-10, 04:42 PM
With option two, not only can the message window not be expanded, it cannot be scrolled. Can I persuade you to use the full depth gauge for your option one mod?

Highbury
03-04-10, 04:45 PM
Thank you again. Much needed mod. I was getting the compass in the bunker with the previous version, will let you know about this one, but first...

With this link (second version shown) I am getting "File is Unavaliable" :wah:

available here: http://www.filefront.com/15741225/OldStyleControls-2S-TheDarkWraith.7z/

sergei
03-04-10, 04:45 PM
I'm trying to get it to work currently but it's very buggy.

Nice one. Good luck with that, it would be very useful to have.

Galanti
03-04-10, 04:47 PM
Outstanding, outside of bugs, this is the most urgent fix as far as I can see.

Personally, I can now do without those ghastly other depth/speed controls. How about removing them altogether and docking the old controls to the left bottom edge of the screen?

Or perhaps let me know how it can be done?

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 04:52 PM
ok files fixed and are available for download again. Sorry about that :cool:

AVGWarhawk
03-04-10, 04:53 PM
Nice work man...very nice work! :up:

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 04:54 PM
Outstanding, outside of bugs, this is the most urgent fix as far as I can see.

Personally, I can now do without those ghastly other depth/speed controls. How about removing them altogether and docking the old controls to the left bottom edge of the screen?

Or perhaps let me know how it can be done?

use the included menu editor with the game to edit the files. I'll make another version that removes the digital readouts later tonight.

Michal788
03-04-10, 05:01 PM
Thanks a lot.:up:

Vikinger
03-04-10, 05:21 PM
I laughed at this little bug i found whit this mod.

If i stand at the bridge and order to dive via the dial the watch crew jump into the hatch and close it while iam standing on the bridge and knocking on the hatch.

Hey iam the captain, you cant dive leaving me here.

Opps they can, darn krauts, deep breath, deeeeeep breath, and down we go :)

Simply, use the dial and your captin will be left on the brigde when you dive so let him go down first :D

It was nearly a Bernard moment i got there hehe

CCIP
03-04-10, 05:22 PM
Outstanding :yeah:

Now if you could also find a way to get battery/fuel/compressed air/CO2 gauges in, I think my first request would be complete. And I would owe you a subsim mug or shirt :88)

ddrgn
03-04-10, 05:32 PM
Give this man his own download section!

Great work Wraith!

I am guessing your one of the Devs here patching things up :P

bert8for3
03-04-10, 05:33 PM
Speechless at how fast you did this, this is awesome, thank you :up:

H.B.
03-04-10, 05:39 PM
Thank you very much! But there is one problem. If you want to manually set target speed, the right dial blocks the "back"-button in the dialogue menu. So you can't confirm the order.

Highbury
03-04-10, 05:41 PM
Thank you very much! But there is one problem. If you want to manually set target speed, the right dial blocks the "back"-button in the dialogue menu. So you can't confirm the order.

The placement may be off in different resolutions. The first post details how you can adjust them to your preference.

** Edit - ok the first post DID last night... maybe you can put that helpful tip back DarkWraith? :D

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 05:42 PM

can you post a screenshot and what screen resolution are you using?

Ducimus
03-04-10, 05:47 PM
I'll make another version that removes the digital readouts later tonight.

Yeah they are a little redundant now aren't they? Awesome work, thanks again!

H.B.
03-04-10, 05:52 PM
can you post a screenshot and what screen resolution are you using?
My resolution is 1680x1050. I use the german version. Don't know if that changes the text positions. The dial hides the "Back"-option in the dialogue, but you can click right to it, so it still works.

Where does SH5 save screenshots? I can't find them.

Galanti
03-04-10, 06:00 PM
use the included menu editor with the game to edit the files. I'll make another version that removes the digital readouts later tonight.

Sounds good, I'm going to try the editor after I put my little monster to bed and get rid of most of the HUD, except for the dials and the message log. I never use the actual controls for time compression (lol, who actually uses the mouse to go down from 4096x to 1x), nor do I use the icons for nav map, log and whatnot. Nor do I have any use for the ridiculous indicators at the top which drive me to fits of homocidal rage.

Vikinger
03-04-10, 06:35 PM
Iam sorry to say that there is to many bugs whit this mod atm.

When i try to click on the speed settings on the normal hud there is hidden buttons that take me to stations that is made for sh4.

It seams the old interface is in the background but whitout icons, but some of the stations are clickable and that leads to 2 different views. example, It took me to the bridge while i was watching the map and the 2 screens overlapped each other so i could se both.

But good thing is. If i can click and get some of the old stuff back its possible to mod out the new hud and in whit the old one.

The hud part you changed is not just about the 3 dials, it gives us most of the old hud also, but its invisible and some parts are clickable.

kylania
03-04-10, 06:35 PM
Someone had mentioned that the old interface is there but hidden, and that seems to be the case. The speed buttons and "center TAI on sub" buttons are covered up and non clickable now. I suppose the speed ones isn't that important since there are dials now, but still. :)

I guess the choice needs to be made, should this mod replace everything with SH3/4 style buttons or should it add in what's missing while leaving what's there in tact. Personally I think Compass/rudder is vital, Depth is handy, but has some bugs. Speed is completely redundant and I don't see it's usefulness as a dial personally.

At one point I was at periscope depth. I used the depth dial to raise to the surface and I did, but it didn't "register that I'd surfaced" so manning the guns didn't work. I had to use the SH5 "surface" command and after that the men manned the gun.

Galanti
03-04-10, 07:24 PM
Iam sorry to say that there is to many bugs whit this mod atm.

When i try to click on the speed settings on the normal hud there is hidden buttons that take me to stations that is made for sh4.

It seams the old interface is in the background but whitout icons, but some of the stations are clickable and that leads to 2 different views. example, It took me to the bridge while i was watching the map and the 2 screens overlapped each other so i could se both.

But good thing is. If i can click and get some of the old stuff back its possible to mod out the new hud and in whit the old one.

The hud part you changed is not just about the 3 dials, it gives us most of the old hud also, but its invisible and some parts are clickable.

Yep, I'm seeing the same thing, but let's look at this as an opportunity - get rid of the new HUD entirely and go for the old!

FIREWALL
03-04-10, 07:35 PM
Thx DW :salute: SH5 is starting to look up. :woot:

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 08:09 PM
By unlocking the old interface (button is in the left corner BTW) you can adjust and move the chat box. The lack of fuel and battery guages is disturbing, VERY disturbing... I noticed that when I used this mod in combo with the Morale Mod, Engine Sounds Improved and Commands mod as well as No Damn Bubbles etc mods that my realism settings changed so best to use the new mods at the start of a fresh patrol so you can double check your patrol settings.

EDIT: I was looking through the SH4 v1.5 files and did not find a Page layout file, but I did find menu_1024_768. That may be of assistance to people looking to update the GUI... Obviously someone will need to go through the file and update or remove the unnecessary stuff and add in the new "menu" things that are SH5 specific (Crew management page etc).

EDIT 2: Silent Hunter Wolves of Pacific -> Data -> Menu -> Skins -> German -> GUI -> Layout Thats the same directory in SH5 as well with similiar but "new" files. It may be possible to add the old UI back in through those files and replacing them. I can't find a DDS viewer to see if the file is the same or not but if we can find the line in the page layout files we may be able to work on getting the old layout back...

jlederer
03-04-10, 08:24 PM
:):DL:D

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 08:40 PM
Taking a step in the right direction... Ish...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/whiskey_11/Silent%20Hunter%205/SH5Img2010-03-04_193743.jpg

So I tested what happens when you copy and paste the old German Layout stuff over into SH5... thats the result... Step in the "right" direction... ish :P

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 08:47 PM
Taking a step in the right direction... Ish...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/whiskey_11/Silent%20Hunter%205/SH5Img2010-03-04_193743.jpg

So I tested what happens when you copy and paste the old German Layout stuff over into SH5... thats the result... Step in the "right" direction... ish :P

what is this old German layout stuff? Where do you find it?

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 08:54 PM
what is this old German layout stuff? Where do you find it?

Took it directly from my SH4 folder. Ubisoft is stupid... for MOST of the old .dds files they just changed them to an transparent color (so the game registers it as transparant). The Page layout.ini file calls up these files still but being as they are invisible they dont display. So whoever it was that was wondering if it's killing their frames, it IS. I imagine this type of mass removal of files could be done to streamline the game being as it still has the American folder for all of the .dds files but they are all transparant... Bleh... same with the German UI. If I had time to sift through the page layout .ini we could find out what lines we can remove to remove unnecessary code and we may be able to find what controllers are controlling the old UI layout stuff. It would require lots of cross referencing between the SH4 v1.5 UI file (menu_1024_768.ini) and the SH5 page layout.ini.

And who the heck hired these idiots to name their config files... NO SPACES... grr...........

I tried copying over the SH5 menu file renamed as page layout... crashed to desktop with no error... back to the drawing board.

Onkel Neal
03-04-10, 08:56 PM
Great work, keep it up, I will feature this in my review :salute:

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 08:59 PM
Took it directly from my SH4 folder. Ubisoft is stupid... for MOST of the old .dds files they just changed them to an transparent color (so the game registers it as transparant). The Page layout.ini file calls up these files still but being as they are invisible they dont display. So whoever it was that was wondering if it's killing their frames, it IS. I imagine this type of mass removal of files could be done to streamline the game being as it still has the American folder for all of the .dds files but they are all transparant... Bleh... same with the German UI. If I had time to sift through the page layout .ini we could find out what lines we can remove to remove unnecessary code and we may be able to find what controllers are controlling the old UI layout stuff. It would require lots of cross referencing between the SH4 v1.5 UI file (menu_1024_768.ini) and the SH5 page layout.ini.

And who the heck hired these idiots to name their config files... NO SPACES... grr...........

I tried copying over the SH5 menu file renamed as page layout... crashed to desktop with no error... back to the drawing board.

thanks for the info. I might be up all night curtailing those page .ini files now so there's only stuff there that we need! :rock:

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 09:03 PM
thanks for the info. I might be up all night curtailing those page .ini files now so there's only stuff there that we need! :rock:

I just started disecting the menu_1024_768 file and comparing it to the page layout file and there are similarities but obviously there are differences. I'm spending more time trying to understand why there is something labeled "Knots" and then "Knots val" Obviously the later is the value of the knots, and the knots is the phrase "Knots" I guess... Somewhere in the [G3F I#] file divisions is the info we need to make the old UI work... There is a lot of crud to go threw and some need removed or "updated" if you will... Like for instance, I dont think that the Crew Management system has the same name or same layout as the old...

We also need someone who worked in one of the Supermods from SH4 to help with the menu buttons. Obviously we dont need the menu buttons from the old UI to be quite the same as we obviously can't jump to stations, but we do need to assign some of them to certain commands we want (depth under keel, etc).

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 09:21 PM
Just glancing through the file I'm not sure how much of the menu_1024_768 file is going to be usefull to us. There has to be more then what is there. A lot of the code dividers (the stuff in the brackets) dont match up exactly... Looking for other files and stuff in the file that is of use, but I'm not holding my breath. It definetly deals with where things are located and what is used, but I'm having a hard time matching up files to locations and dividers to their respective functions....

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 09:23 PM
Just glancing through the file I'm not sure how much of the menu_1024_768 file is going to be usefull to us. There has to be more then what is there. A lot of the code dividers (the stuff in the brackets) dont match up exactly... Looking for other files and stuff in the file that is of use, but I'm not holding my breath. It definetly deals with where things are located and what is used, but I'm having a hard time matching up files to locations and dividers to their respective functions....

you are looking for \data\Menu\Pages. In there contains the rest of the menu_1024_768.ini file. They broke it up into pages.

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 09:25 PM
you are looking for \data\Menu\Pages. In there contains the rest of the menu_1024_768.ini file. They broke it up into pages.

You rock, that may have been what I'm looking for :P

Vikinger
03-04-10, 09:29 PM
Keep up the good work man.

I know u can make it :D

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 09:40 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/NewUI.jpg

well I got an SH4 UI working......all the top tabs work, not all of the functions associated with a tab work though (some cause CTD). I'll keep working on it :cool: In this screenshot I order the crew to man the deck gun by pressing the button. I also went under the navigator tab and was able to click on depth under keel and get the reading!! It's about 75% functional.

Vikinger
03-04-10, 09:44 PM
Try to remove the new huds. And work from there. I think if you have both you will get problems. They are flanking you :D

terrabit
03-04-10, 09:45 PM
well I got an SH4 UI working......all the top tabs work,

You have potentially saved this game for me.
Great work!!!!

Vikinger
03-04-10, 09:47 PM
And WELCOME terrabit to the forum. Good to have u aboard :salute:

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 09:49 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/NewUI.jpg

well I got an SH4 UI working......all the top tabs work, not all of the functions associated with a tab work though (some cause CTD). I'll keep working on it :cool: In this screenshot I order the crew to man the deck gun by pressing the button. I also went under the navigator tab and was able to click on depth under keel and get the reading!! It's about 75% functional.

You beat me to it brother, I just was figuring this out... now we need the Fuel guages and what not still though! I'll go on a file search for them while I'm scowering through the menu_1024_768 from SH4 1.5

Good work! Now get rid of the old UI and we are DANG CLOSE!

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 09:52 PM
Found them in the SH4 file:
[G3F I365]
Name=CE Report dials
Type=1026;Menu group
ItemID=0x3F2F0000
ParentID=0x3F0B0000
Pos=0,-45,436,560
Zone= 284 701 436 560 0 1 0x3F0B0000 0 -0.075 0x3F2F0000 0 0 0 0
Color=0xFFFFFFFF
[G3F I366]
Name=CO2 tooltip
Type=1031;Stat bmp array
ItemID=0x3F2F0003
ParentID=0x3F2F0000
Pos=337,-360,135,200
Zone= 621 341 135 200 0 1 0x3F2F0000 0.772936 -0.642857 0x3F2F0003 0 0 0 0
Color=0xFFFFFF00
Materials=1
Display=2;Linear
Mat 0=data/menu/gui/layout/bkgr.tga
Crop 0=0,0,4,4
MatFlags=0x1
TexFmt=0x0
Drag=false
BmpState=1
NeedFocus=true
SelOne=false
IdGroup=0
StatesColors=0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF
ToolTipText=2821
[G3F I367]
Name=Compr.air tooltip
Type=1031;Stat bmp array
ItemID=0x3F2F0004
ParentID=0x3F2F0000
Pos=202,-360,135,200
Zone= 486 341 135 200 0 1 0x3F2F0000 0.463303 -0.642857 0x3F2F0004 0 0 0 0
Color=0xFFFFFF00
Materials=1
Display=2;Linear
Crop 0=0,0,4,4
MatFlags=0x1
TexFmt=0x0
Drag=false
BmpState=1
NeedFocus=true
SelOne=false
IdGroup=0
ToolTipText=2822
[G3F I368]
Name=Battery tooltip
Type=1031;Stat bmp array
ItemID=0x3F2F0002
ParentID=0x3F2F0000
Pos=68,-360,135,200
Zone= 352 341 135 200 0 1 0x3F2F0000 0.155963 -0.642857 0x3F2F0002 0 0 0 0
Color=0xFFFFFF00
Materials=1
Display=2;Linear
Crop 0=0,0,4,4
MatFlags=0x1
TexFmt=0x0
Drag=false
BmpState=1
NeedFocus=true
SelOne=false
IdGroup=0
ToolTipText=2820
[G3F I369]
Name=Fuel tooltip
Type=1031;Stat bmp array
ItemID=0x3F2F0001
ParentID=0x3F2F0000
Pos=-40,-360,108,200
Zone= 244 341 108 200 0 1 0x3F2F0000 -0.0917431 -0.642857 0x3F2F0001 0 0 0 0
Color=0xFFFFFF00
Materials=1
Display=2;Linear
Crop 0=0,0,4,4
MatFlags=0x1
TexFmt=0x0
Drag=false
BmpState=1
NeedFocus=true
SelOne=false
IdGroup=0
ToolTipText=2819
[G3F I370]
Name=FBAC levels
Type=1026;Menu group
ItemID=0x3F300000
ParentID=0x3F2F0000
Pos=-40,-360,512,200
Zone= 244 341 512 200 0 1 0x3F2F0000 -0.0917431 -0.642857 0x3F300000 0 0 0 0
Color=0xFFFFFFFF
[G3F I371]
Name=CO2 Level
Type=1031;Stat bmp array
ItemID=0x3F300004
ParentID=0x3F300000
Pos=437,-45,16,105
Zone= 681 296 16 105 0 1 0x3F300000 0.853516 -0.225 0x3F300004 0 0 0 0
Color=0xFE
Materials=1
Display=5;Linear&rotation
Mat 0=data/menu/gui/layout/indicators.tga
Crop 0=0,0,0.5,0.472656
MatFlags=0x29
TexFmt=0x0
Drag=false
BmpState=1
NeedFocus=true
SelOne=false
IdGroup=0
[G3F I372]
Name=Compr.air level
Type=1031;Stat bmp array
ItemID=0x3F300003
ParentID=0x3F300000
Pos=301,-45,16,105
Zone= 545 296 16 105 0 1 0x3F300000 0.587891 -0.225 0x3F300003 0 0 0 0
Color=0xFE
Materials=1
Crop 0=0,0,0.5,0.472656
MatFlags=0x29
TexFmt=0x0
Drag=false
BmpState=1
NeedFocus=true
SelOne=false
IdGroup=0
[G3F I373]
Name=Battery level
Type=1031;Stat bmp array
ItemID=0x3F300002
ParentID=0x3F300000
Pos=166,-45,16,105
Zone= 410 296 16 105 0 1 0x3F300000 0.324219 -0.225 0x3F300002 0 0 0 0
Color=0xFE
Materials=1
Crop 0=0,0,0.5,0.472656
MatFlags=0x29
TexFmt=0x0
Drag=false
BmpState=1
NeedFocus=true
SelOne=false
IdGroup=0
[G3F I374]
Name=Fuel level
Type=1031;Stat bmp array
ItemID=0x3F300001
ParentID=0x3F300000
Pos=35,-6,9,11
Zone= 279 335 9 11 0 1 0x3F300000 0.0683594 -0.03 0x3F300001 0 0 0 0
Color=0x643200C8
Materials=1
Display=0;No stretch
Crop 0=0.09375,0.269531,0.8125,-0.34375
MatFlags=0x29
TexFmt=0x0
Drag=false
BmpState=1
NeedFocus=true
SelOne=false
IdGroup=0

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 09:53 PM
Sorry for multiple posts, it's easier then editing... they are under the same name in the page layout.ini file... Testing to see if they copy over

EDIT: CORRECTION: Not the same headers, same "Name" identifier though

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 09:58 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/NewUI2.jpg

fuel gauges, CO2, etc. work. I click on the captain's log on the far left to see if the buttons work and they do!

Now to remove the 'new' digital UI stuff and move some of the SH5 UI stuff around.

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 10:02 PM
Hehe, looks like you didnt need my help afterall :yeah:

Looks good... none of my modifications worked... guess thats what I get for not being a dedicated modder :D

mookiemookie
03-04-10, 10:02 PM
Go go go! You guys are so close to jumping the biggest hurdle here! :yeah: Bless you!

gutted
03-04-10, 10:03 PM
HOLY SH$T... you guys work fast!!

this is insane LOL.

kiwi_2005
03-04-10, 10:04 PM
:yeah:

Vikinger
03-04-10, 10:05 PM
Regardless who do this mod you both have contributed a lot for it. And i think you have inspired each other to what files to look for.

But that its just what we modders are for, to help each other to get a good result. :)

gutted
03-04-10, 10:05 PM
wonder what the devs would think.. all that effort on a new UI, to have us bring back the old one just 2 days after release. :rotfl2:

Vikinger
03-04-10, 10:08 PM
wonder what the devs would think.. all that effort on a new UI, to have us bring back the old one just 2 days after release. :rotfl2:

Who are the devs?

They gave us a shell that we have to fill :D Just like whit sh3 and 4.

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 10:08 PM

At this point and time they did all the hard work by updating the graphics and adding the full submarine and the Role playing, we are just returning it to an interface that doesnt suck...

For what it's worth the teleporting still works from what I had when I was messing around with the buttons and what not... didnt try to dive to see if it teleported the captain, but it may be the step towards the "Make my captain run to a place in a hurry :P I personally never minded the teleporting, but it is nice to walk around the boat when I'm bored :P

:arrgh!:

EDIT: Scarier yet is the amount of code and files left over from previous versions. It's stupid how much stuff is left in there. They have the "American" folder from SH4 left in there... completely unnecessary but it was too difficult to just go into the files and remove the lines that refered to the American Folder, so what they did was leave them in there and for images they made the images transparant, similiar to the old UI as we are finding out. This is very poor programing but it does have one advantage: UI bugs from rewriting the UI and removing old files are almost non-existent... I guess it was "practical" from their standpoint, but I dont see nearly the same file structure and coding between CoD:MW, CoD:WaW and CoD:MW2, all use the same engine, but have very different coding...

gutted
03-04-10, 10:20 PM
Do the dials get bigger when you mouse over them like in SHIV?

Vikinger
03-04-10, 10:29 PM
At this point and time they did all the hard work by updating the graphics and adding the full submarine and the Role playing, we are just returning it to an interface that doesnt suck...

For what it's worth the teleporting still works from what I had when I was messing around with the buttons and what not... didnt try to dive to see if it teleported the captain, but it may be the step towards the "Make my captain run to a place in a hurry :P I personally never minded the teleporting, but it is nice to walk around the boat when I'm bored :P

:arrgh!:

EDIT: Scarier yet is the amount of code and files left over from previous versions. It's stupid how much stuff is left in there. They have the "American" folder from SH4 left in there... completely unnecessary but it was too difficult to just go into the files and remove the lines that refered to the American Folder, so what they did was leave them in there and for images they made the images transparant, similiar to the old UI as we are finding out. This is very poor programing but it does have one advantage: UI bugs from rewriting the UI and removing old files are almost non-existent... I guess it was "practical" from their standpoint, but I dont see nearly the same file structure and coding between CoD:MW, CoD:WaW and CoD:MW2, all use the same engine, but have very different coding...

This have been in since sh3. When they did sh4 there was nearly a full copie left of sh3 in it. And same whit this sh5.

However it makes its easier for us modders to identify from prevoius version what to change or to keep. But if they removed all thos unecessary files i think the game wud fit on a floppy disc :D

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 10:30 PM
Do the dials get bigger when you mouse over them like in SHIV?

In the original release they do not, not sure about the new one with the full on HUD... I Hope so... if not I think I can look past it being as the rest of the HUD works :)

TheDarkWraith is there anything else you need help finding right now?

This have been in since sh3. When they did sh4 there was nearly a full copie left of sh3 in it. And same whit this sh5.

However it makes its easier for us modders to identify from prevoius version what to change or to keep. But if they removed all thos unecessary files i think the game wud fit on a floppy disc :D

ROFL, nice! :) I agree, it probably would! At least one CD!

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 10:38 PM
nope, finishing up new UI. Now I'm going through all the buttons and those that do not work I'm removing/disabling. We can investigate reasons why after UI is tested awhile for stability and errors.

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 10:41 PM
nope, finishing up new UI. Now I'm going through all the buttons and those that do not work I'm removing/disabling. We can investigate reasons why after UI is tested awhile for stability and errors.

Sounds good, let me know if you do need anything, I'm going to go see if I can't figure out why the UZO crosshairs are all janked in the first zoom option...

Vikinger
03-04-10, 10:46 PM
Sounds good, let me know if you do need anything, I'm going to go see if I can't figure out why the UZO crosshairs are all janked in the first zoom option...

I think that is many of the initialy problems we had whit sh4.

Remember the AA gun did not line up.
The mast heights, etc

My guess is that the devs used the standard valsue for many things from sh4 that the modders changed later on.

So dl some tweaks for thos things u are looking for and compare them.

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 10:48 PM

there is one thing acting strange. The message pad will now open up when you press the button (didn't work before with the 3 dials) BUT it drops down in position under the interface. It's probably a script doing this. It would be a script under the page default hud i'm guessing. If you want to look into this. I'll send you what I've done so far so you can see what I'm talking about.

here's what it's looking like so far (I expanded the map and tools just to show it):
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/NewUI3.jpg

notice that I click on the depth under keel button and look what appeared in the message pad!

There's some kind of level looking line missing that sits above the CO2, fuel, batteries block. I can 'see' it in the menu editor but can't see it in game.

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 10:55 PM
You were correct, under Page Default Hud:

[G0A I252]
Name=Messages
Type=1026;Menu group
ItemID=0xA2B0000
ParentID=0xA000000
Pos=705,-718,315,50
Zone= 705 50 315 50 0 1 0xA000000 1 -1 0xA2B0000 -1 1 -4 0

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 11:03 PM
You were correct, under Page Default Hud:

[G0A I252]
Name=Messages
Type=1026;Menu group
ItemID=0xA2B0000
ParentID=0xA000000
Pos=705,-718,315,50
Zone= 705 50 315 50 0 1 0xA000000 1 -1 0xA2B0000 -1 1 -4 0

I found what I was looking for regarding the message box in the default hud script. Now I'm attempting to fix the problem - problem appears to be with bottombar. I gotta move it up also.....

TopcatWA
03-04-10, 11:05 PM
Well Done. Anything to make the game run easier.:yeah::yeah:

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 11:07 PM
Ohh whoops you were looking for the actual script file?! Oi... thought you meant the Message box location indicator :oops: Playing around with the values, .5 and -.5 sets the box dead center at the bottom of the screen, which makes no sense to me... Originally I thought it was a coordinate system (thats too easy isnt it...) but it isnt truely a coordinate system, or at least one that I understand...

EDIT: I believe what you are talking about a level indicator above the battery/CO2/COmpressed Air/Fuel indicator is the fuel indicator for the Walter Drive with the Hydrogen Peroxide fuel level. Wont matter for us as we dont have access to the Walter Drive in this game.

Interesting question though, if the file systems are this similiar I wonder if that means we can add other submarines to this game... And if that holds true that means Surface ships should also be easy to implement...

UberMatz
03-04-10, 11:07 PM
You guys are restoring my faith that I won't have to shelve this game and wait for months for the fixes. I almost had to clean myself after I installed the 3 dials... now you've nearly got the entire SH4 UI!!!! WooHoo!!!:rock:
Seriously, you guys are the best of the best!! I really hope you are aware how much you are appreciated! Especially by a programming illiterate swabbie like myself! :salute:

UberMatz

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 11:21 PM
Slightly OT, UZO bug is indeed a bug... everything I see in the scripting files and the .ini files defining it show that it should display normal in the first zoom in mode... Not sure whats happening there...

I'm giving up on the UZO for now and I'm going to see if I can't find info for the TDC and how it's disabled in the game and see if it isnt possible to re-enable it. No promises, I'm a horrid amerature =\

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 11:22 PM
Ohh whoops you were looking for the actual script file?! Oi... thought you meant the Message box location indicator :oops: Playing around with the values, .5 and -.5 sets the box dead center at the bottom of the screen, which makes no sense to me... Originally I thought it was a coordinate system (thats too easy isnt it...) but it isnt truely a coordinate system, or at least one that I understand...

EDIT: I believe what you are talking about a level indicator above the battery/CO2/COmpressed Air/Fuel indicator is the fuel indicator for the Walter Drive with the Hydrogen Peroxide fuel level. Wont matter for us as we dont have access to the Walter Drive in this game.

Interesting question though, if the file systems are this similiar I wonder if that means we can add other submarines to this game... And if that holds true that means Surface ships should also be easy to implement...

i love scripts! they make modding so much easier. Here was the problem with the message box dropping down to the bottom when you clicked the button to expand it:
def PageDefaultHud_Messages_ToggleModeButton_Clicked( sender ):
c = PageDefaultHud_Messages
# dragging the size handle changes the SnapFromAnchor
#c.SetSnapParent( PageDefaultHud, MenuItemWrapper.LocationPresets.BottomRight, True, 0, False )
c.SnapFromAnchor.OffsetX = -4 #the animation will position the control
DurationInSeconds = 0.1
if c.Height <= c.MinimumSize.Height + 1.0:
#Menu.PlaySound( "Menu.HUD.Toggle_Open" )#it sounds like a fart
c.StartAnimation( MenuItemWrapper.AnimationTypes.Height, c.MaximumSize.Height, DurationInSeconds )
else:
#Menu.PlaySound( "Menu.HUD.Toggle_Close" )#it sounds like a fart
c.StartAnimation( MenuItemWrapper.AnimationTypes.Height, c.MinimumSize.Height, DurationInSeconds )

i had to comment out the line highlighted. Now I'm going to let the message box able to expand more than it does currently.....

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/NewUI4.jpg

much better.....now to expand it's size.....

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 11:30 PM
Size should be adjustable in the page default.ini file there are size limits in there. Or was it in the script file 0.oa I can't quite remember!

Good knews is that the TDC dials are there in the textures so I dont have to port the dials over, not sure on the rest, still converting the .dds files to make sure!

TDC files have their own nifty little folder titled TDC in:
Data -> Menu -> Gui -> TDC

Going to find the relatevant parts in the SH4 menu files. This isnt complete without the TDC :P Not sure how we'll implement it, it may require more scripting to allow it to be a pop up from the command bar at the bottom for the attack periscope because I'm not sure we'll get one on the attack map since the attack map isnt seperate :D

ddrgn
03-04-10, 11:34 PM
Size should be adjustable in the page default.ini file there are size limits in there. Or was it in the script file 0.oa I can't quite remember!

Good knews is that the TDC dials are there in the textures so I dont have to port the dials over, not sure on the rest, still converting the .dds files to make sure!

TDC files have their own nifty little folder titled TDC in:
Data -> Menu -> Gui -> TDC

Going to find the relatevant parts in the SH4 menu files. This isnt complete without the TDC :P Not sure how we'll implement it, it may require more scripting to allow it to be a pop up from the command bar at the bottom for the attack periscope because I'm not sure we'll get one on the attack map since the attack map isnt seperate :D

TDC with a working spread angle ;]

AOTD_Rhonen
03-04-10, 11:39 PM
well done :)

We are working on the Interface too.
Can you tell me pls, how you fix the Bottom Bar grafic problem?
see here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1294093&postcount=22

Also, has anyone an idea how to "delete" the bottom bar, without loosing the toggle buttons for the Dials ? ;)

if i dont let draw the bottom bar by the script, the togglebuttons are also missing :(

UrPeaceKeeper
03-04-10, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure we'll get a TDC that works... there is no script file for it and if the game .exe calls the script files we are hosed, if it pulls the .ini files which call the script file we may be ok as we could just have someone write the script file for it. I did find that it has it's own Page file .ini, although all mention of the texture files are all .tga extensions which are hangovers from SH3 and the transition to SH4 with U-boat missions... all the files in the directory are .dds. I'm going to go through the nearly 1000 line .ini file and change the .tga to .dds and see if anything shows up. I'm not holding my breath anyway as my understanding is the script files give the item the functionality and the .ini file so we may need some script writing... maybe...

TheDarkWraith
03-04-10, 11:55 PM
I'm not sure we'll get a TDC that works... there is no script file for it and if the game .exe calls the script files we are hosed, if it pulls the .ini files which call the script file we may be ok as we could just have someone write the script file for it. I did find that it has it's own Page file .ini, although all mention of the texture files are all .tga extensions which are hangovers from SH3 and the transition to SH4 with U-boat missions... all the files in the directory are .dds. I'm going to go through the nearly 1000 line .ini file and change the .tga to .dds and see if anything shows up. I'm not holding my breath anyway as my understanding is the script files give the item the functionality and the .ini file so we may need some script writing... maybe...

have faith! anything is possible, we just haven't found the way to do it yet....

I'm happy to report that the fuel level and battery level gauges work:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/NewUI5.jpg

did a nice underwater run to see if the battery would discharge...and it did. Only thing I haven't seen move is the CO2 gauge. Oh and the clock doesn't work either but that appears to be a script problem also.

I'm thinking about releasing this as it stands so far BUT it still needs work on the buttons. Some of the buttons don't work or worse cause a CTD when you click them. It all deals with scripts it appears and it's goind to take some heavy work to sort out. In the meantime though it's functional and most of the buttons work (or don't work). We can compile a list of which ones work or don't work (and those that cause CTDs) and post them so users are aware until it's sorted out. But people should be given the opportunity to use this new UI....it actually makes the game more enjoyable and playable (at least to me)!. So what do you all think? Wait till I have it all sorted out or let it go as is?

CCIP
03-04-10, 11:58 PM
I say let it out - if anything, I'm sure others can help track down the issues and test it better. Consider it a beta release of sorts. In all honestly, I'd rather play with a half-functional classic interface than the fully-functional new one.

UrPeaceKeeper
03-05-10, 12:02 AM
Ohh I have faith, trust me on that, in terms of "easy" modding that I can accomplish, the TDC is out of the question. Changing the extensions in the page.ini file for the TDC did squat so there has to be some way to bring it up with the attack peri and the observation peri (not realistic but meh).

As to the UI as it stands, which buttons dont work and is it possible to remove them relatively easily or track down the cause of the crasH?

If we can get the list we can release the UI as is while you and I and others work out ways to get the commands lined up correctly for the game.

Releasing it would calm the waters long enough for us to figure out the buttons and maybe get a start on the TDC...

TheDarkWraith
03-05-10, 12:04 AM
Ohh I have faith, trust me on that, in terms of "easy" modding that I can accomplish, the TDC is out of the question. Changing the extensions in the page.ini file for the TDC did squat so there has to be some way to bring it up with the attack peri and the observation peri (not realistic but meh).

As to the UI as it stands, which buttons dont work and is it possible to remove them relatively easily or track down the cause of the crasH?

If we can get the list we can release the UI as is while you and I and others work out ways to get the commands lined up correctly for the game.

Releasing it would calm the waters long enough for us to figure out the buttons and maybe get a start on the TDC...

good point. I'll start zipping it up and getting it ready for upload. This is too cool :|\\
As for which buttons cause CTDs - I know anything under crew and even the crew tab itself will CTD. But I haven't really checked all them out. I'll reserve a post under the release one so that the buttons causing errors can be listed and an update can be posted on their status.

UrPeaceKeeper
03-05-10, 12:08 AM
Thats because the crew management options have changed drastically, we probably just need to find the commands for Action stations, man deck gun, and man AA guns. Are there really any other commands for the crew?

I imagine the deck gun and AA gun commands probably dont work (Aim for water line and what not).

TheDarkWraith
03-05-10, 12:09 AM
Thats because the crew management options have changed drastically, we probably just need to find the commands for Action stations, man deck gun, and man AA guns. Are there really any other commands for the crew?

I imagine the deck gun and AA gun commands probably dont work (Aim for water line and what not).

they work sort of.....you 'appear' inside the deck gun and you appear on top of the AA gun when you click those....:-?

mookiemookie
03-05-10, 12:10 AM
For what it's worth, I wouldn't worry too much about the TDC right now. I actually kind of like the way its implemented - makes me feel like a real commander reading off thr inputs and someone else inputting them. That works great (aside from the stupid stadimeter, but modding in the old "estimate range to contact" command gets around that beautifully). But from a purely functional standpoint, I'd love to have the classic command interface back.

coasterdigi
03-05-10, 12:10 AM
Just a thought, but, for the time being, is it possible to just delete the offending buttons from the menu editor, at least for this release? It seems like it would be a quick job to just eliminate the checkboxes so the buttons don't actually try to function.

If you don't, I'll give it a shot when you release it.

UrPeaceKeeper
03-05-10, 12:12 AM
they work sort of.....you 'appear' inside the deck gun and you appear on top of the AA gun when you click those....:-?

Interesting... I wonder if there is an easy way to fix it... something with the teleport to location? Can you move yourself from them once you've teleported inside of them?

This is sad, but I had to use the restroom I was so excited for this release lol:yeah:

Highbury
03-05-10, 12:13 AM
For what it's worth, I wouldn't worry too much about the TDC right now. I actually kind of like the way its implemented - makes me feel like a real commander reading off thr inputs and someone else inputting them.

+100

It is one of the few things that in my opinion, is an improvement. I don't want to be touching the dials myself as the Captain, just telling someone else what to put in :up:

TheDarkWraith
03-05-10, 12:13 AM
Just a thought, but, for the time being, is it possible to just delete the offending buttons from the menu editor, at least for this release? It seems like it would be a quick job to just eliminate the checkboxes so the buttons don't actually try to function.

If you don't, I'll give it a shot when you release it.

if you don't mind I'm not going to do that currently. I'll release it as is with a big warning that some buttons cause CTDs, don't work, or behave strangely. A list can be compiled to be looked into. Reason: I'm tired and need to get some sleep! :yep: I'll start uploading it here in a few.

coasterdigi
03-05-10, 12:14 AM
+100

It is one of the few things that in my opinion, is an improvement. I don't want to be touching the dials myself as the Captain, just telling someone else what to put in :up:

Agreed! Although, it would be nice to see the torpedo's gyroangle without having to rely on the silly little line on the tactical display.

UrPeaceKeeper
03-05-10, 12:16 AM
if you don't mind I'm not going to do that currently. I'll release it as is with a big warning that some buttons cause CTDs, don't work, or behave strangely. A list can be compiled to be looked into. Reason: I'm tired and need to get some sleep! :yep: I'll start uploading it here in a few.

Sleep is for the weak :O: Unless of course you have to work tomorrow :-?

I'll work on the list of ones that dont work as I have little interest in my campaign right now :P I also have no life and I'm not tired so it shouldnt be too hard to push through those tonight!

coasterdigi
03-05-10, 12:16 AM

Aahhh I just realized how late it is! :-? That sleep thing doesn't sound so bad.

Still, I'll take a look.

gutted
03-05-10, 12:17 AM
+100

umm, you ARE still entering the information.. but it's taking you longer.

AOB:
Click AOB, Set it, hit back. Three Steps.
or
Just turn a dial.

RANGE (manually without stadimeter):
Click Range, type it in, hit back. Three Setps.
or
Just turn a dial.

just saying....

Highbury
03-05-10, 12:21 AM
Say all you want, Capt shouldn't be the one turning the dial. You want to run to the bow and help load torps too? :O:

gutted
03-05-10, 12:23 AM
If i could call out the info i would.. but seeing as i can't, i want the quickest way possible.

Navigating a menu and typing is not it.

but each to his own. :D

Onkel Neal
03-05-10, 12:27 AM
Say all you want, Capt shouldn't be the one turning the dial. You want to run to the bow and help load torps too? :O:

Yes! :D

UrPeaceKeeper
03-05-10, 12:28 AM

Agreed if it makes them load faster, sheesh it takes them forever while action stations is called....

Highbury
03-05-10, 12:30 AM

You would :O::yeah:

gutted
03-05-10, 12:32 AM
If it will help them rub the torpedoes faster... i guess i could give it a try. LOLZ.

etheberge
03-05-10, 01:05 AM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=1371 (http://wildandwooly.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/epic_win.jpg)

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=1370

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=1372

quad5
03-05-10, 01:44 AM
TheDarkWraith, many thanks!:up:

UrPeaceKeeper
03-05-10, 01:49 AM
Quad5 He's released the full UI in case you are wondering :)

Linky:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163268

Enjoy :)

quad5
03-05-10, 01:53 AM
Quad5 He's released the full UI in case you are wondering :)

Linky:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163268

Enjoy :)

Thanks!:salute:

urfisch
03-05-10, 03:08 AM
great work, darky!!!

nice.

what about posting a manual, a "howto"?

Will-Rommel
03-05-10, 05:47 AM
Downloaded. :up:

KptLt. Erich Topp
03-05-10, 06:07 AM
Wow... you Guys were absolutely amazing ! Many Thanks for the Dials and for your work !!

Fritz Eger
03-05-10, 06:09 AM
This looks fantastic but i can't seem to enable it via JSGME. The other mod works fine (the one with the three dials) but this won't enable. Help please

vonce1
03-05-10, 09:25 AM
excellent work! THANKS!

BTW, now, when you figured out the full UI (other thread), do you think you could fix the bug with the message pad (dials with both states but with message pad thingy bug)?

The full UI is too buggy for now, but having fully functional 3 dual-state dials would be perfect.

TheDarkWraith
03-05-10, 09:36 AM
excellent work! THANKS!

BTW, now, when you figured out the full UI (other thread), do you think you could fix the bug with the message pad (dials with both states but with message pad thingy bug)?

The full UI is too buggy for now, but having fully functional 3 dual-state dials would be perfect.

I could. Are you saying you like the Ubisoft UI and not the new UI I posted (SH4 style)? If you do like the Ubisoft UI then yes, I could look into fixing the bug with the message pad using the 3 dials.

briklebritt
03-05-10, 09:42 AM
Ubisoft UI and your 3 dails would be perfect! Many people do not like old SH4 UI.

Please fix your UI and make and complete it. Would be great!

thx

vonce1
03-05-10, 09:47 AM
I could. Are you saying you like the Ubisoft UI and not the new UI I posted (SH4 style)? If you do like the Ubisoft UI then yes, I could look into fixing the bug with the message pad using the 3 dials.

no, I don't like the Ubisoft "new" UI, it's a crap; but the imported full SH4 UI at current state is to cranky, while adding just 3 fully functional bug-free dual-state dials would be perfect for now until you guys smooth out the full SH4 interface.

for the meantime, 3 dials would add excellent sub maneuvering capability while leaving the new Ubi UI still fully functional (or disfunctional, haha)...until the SH4 UI is polished up.

Absolutely appreciate your work! You (and others) will make this sim eventually playable. Thanks again.

TheDarkWraith
03-05-10, 09:50 AM
just out of curiosity, how is the new SH4 UI style too cranky? I've posted the known bugs and am working on them now.

briklebritt
03-05-10, 10:03 AM
@TheDarkWraith
Great! Please fix 3 Dails with switching

Can u please use this style please ans a metric one?

C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\data\Menu\Skins\German\Gui\Layout\Dials_us_metri c.dds

I think u used it already - right?

TheDarkWraith
03-05-10, 10:06 AM
@TheDarkWraith
Great! Please fix 3 Dails with switching

Can u please use this style please ans a metric one?

C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\data\Menu\Skins\German\Gui\Layout\Dials_us_metri c.dds

I think u used it already - right?

as soon as I fix the known bugs in the new UI I'll come back to the 3 dials and work on them.

vonce1
03-05-10, 10:10 AM
just out of curiosity, how is the new SH4 UI style too cranky? I've posted the known bugs and am working on them now.

..I should've said "too buggy" or stil too disfunctional rather then "cranky" I guess, sorry. I tried it this morning, it lacks too much of functionality for now. I however didn't get CTD since I avoided the known bugs.

I think at current state 3 bug free dials would be the best solution. I'll be however missing the "depth under keel" from SH4 interface, but still...3 dials for now.

BTW, the UBI developer's post at this site indicates that SH4 interface should be portable OK, so keep up good work! With SH4 interface the game would be probably enjoyable. Thanks!

Sailor Steve
03-05-10, 10:31 AM
Well, it looks like TheDarkWraith and UrPeaceKeeper have become SH5's first mod team! Congratulations guys!:rock:

I would like to say one thing though. People have been talking about the 'stupid' devs, for leaving all this old stuff in. Has it occured to anyone that maybe they did that on purpose? They did say it would be easier for modders to do their work.

i love scripts! they make modding so much easier.
And that is my point. They put this in to help. They still deserve praise, not scorn.

briklebritt
03-05-10, 10:49 AM
I think at current state 3 bug free dials would be the best solution

:up:

pythos
03-05-10, 10:59 AM
GWX has a really nice pop out compass, is there any way this can be brought back in?

floundericiousWA
03-05-10, 12:03 PM
Well, it looks like TheDarkWraith and UrPeaceKeeper have become SH5's first mod team! Congratulations guys!:rock:

I would like to say one thing though. People have been talking about the 'stupid' devs, for leaving all this old stuff in. Has it occured to anyone that maybe they did that on purpose? They did say it would be easier for modders to do their work.

And that is my point. They put this in to help. They still deserve praise, not scorn.

yes, yes, to sailor steve you listen!

The devs were looking out for you guys by leaving all the old info, textures, scripts, etc. in there where they knew you all would start slicin'n'dicin'!

Give them some love for making a game with some fun new features but leaving it very very easy for the enthusiast crowd to customize the game..that's not easy to do and it's very thoughtful!

FIREWALL
03-05-10, 12:08 PM
yes, yes, to sailor steve you listen!

The devs were looking out for you guys by leaving all the old info, textures, scripts, etc. in there where they knew you all would start slicin'n'dicin'!

Give them some love for making a game with some fun new features but leaving it very very easy for the enthusiast crowd to customize the game..that's not easy to do and it's very thoughtful!

I think the Devs Kindly left one HUGE Easter Egg for our modders. :yep:

Gedis
03-05-10, 12:13 PM
nice, but i hope there gonna be a sh3 hud too, because sh4 style is for americans :)

i just don't like sh4, sh3 + gwx = pwnage, nothing else comes close.
but if sh5 would be sh3 like, maybe i would spent my money on it and finally be able to delete sh3?

TheDarkWraith
03-05-10, 12:36 PM
does anyone know of a mod that lets the dials increase in size (zoom) when you mouse over them (like SH4)? I need to see how it's done but am currently trying to figure it out myself also.

Sailor Steve
03-05-10, 12:38 PM
GWX has a really nice pop out compass, is there any way this can be brought back in?
That was originally part of FLB_Sales' 'Simfeeling 6-Dials' mod, which had made the entire interface into a pop-up, so the screen was always clear, and had not only the compass but also equally large versions of the other two gauges. I would love to see that for both SH4 and SH5.

mookiemookie
03-05-10, 12:39 PM
nice, but i hope there gonna be a sh3 hud too, because sh4 style is for americans :)

i just don't like sh4, sh3 + gwx = pwnage, nothing else comes close.
but if sh5 would be sh3 like, maybe i would spent my money on it and finally be able to delete sh3?

Let's just get what we have working first. It's been said it will be very difficult to get the SH3 interface working in SH5.

Beggars can't be choosers.

reaper7
03-05-10, 01:43 PM
What functions can we use as of now for a UI. would like to do up some overlays for dialg, guages and commands that can be used as of now.
While the dials have been left in by the Devs from SH4, they just don't have the UBoat feel to them. I would like to do up some Artwork for the modders to use if in there mods as my scripting abilities are not great.

Vikinger
03-05-10, 02:23 PM
In my opinion i would like to se the icons from the old hud that handle thos quik jump to a station be removed and function disabled.
Reason is that i think it will be very difficult to make them correct.

In sh5 we got an enitire submarine to walk around in. Something we didnt have before. Now you can even walk on the deck to the fore and get your self an "Titanic_the_Movie_moment".

And if i for an example press, jump to the gun station, the game will crasch is it cant be defined anymore by the game as a valid station or in best case it takes me inside the gun barrel.

So lets keep thos walking around the sub to reach the stations stuff.
But i would like to have all thos icons that handle the Crew AI, And be able to give them orders. Like, order them to the gun or AA whitout having to walk up 2 ladders and talk to the WO in close up. Its so time consuming and before i reach him the airplanes wud allready be at thier base and eat egg and bacon.

Also have thos different commands where i can order the crew when they are at the gun and AA station. As it is now i have to go to the gunstation my self and engage the target. Something a captain would never do.

Edit/ And about the Devs some others have mention. I really, really cant forgive them for leaving out the orange reticle we had over sub when it was submerged. Its a step back to stoneage to remove that important thing from the game. :P

Galanti
03-05-10, 02:37 PM
Edit/ And about the Devs some others have mention. I really, really cant forgive them for leaving out the orange reticle we had over sub when it was submerged. Its a step back to stoneage to remove that important thing from the game. :P

Huh? It's still in there, in fact, it's the first thing I removed. But how is it a step back, IMO it was a ridiculous, arcade thing to have in the first place.

Vikinger
03-05-10, 02:59 PM
Huh? It's still in there, in fact, it's the first thing I removed. But how is it a step back, IMO it was a ridiculous, arcade thing to have in the first place.

Ohh its still there? I have not seen it in my games.

And i just tryed to make an ironic joke. :) I remember when sh4 was relesed. the first mod that came out was just to remove that thing. :)

longam
03-05-10, 03:26 PM
I'd like to see just the 3 dials work. I'm sure the devs will have a few more patch releases, so I wouldn't get to deep in modding yet.

Highbury
03-05-10, 03:26 PM

I had only seen it after installing the Full UI Beta mod. I cannot say that I am 100% sure it was not there before.

However.. this isn't the most recent version, or thread for this mod. Maybe a moderator can unsticky this one and re-sticky the right one, so the people who don't read the whole dang forum can find the new one easier.

DMB3428
03-05-10, 07:41 PM
Im more excited over the mods being released than the game itself lol :D

Charlie901
03-05-10, 08:16 PM
QUESTION: Are these the AMERICAN Fleetboat Guages from SH4 or are they the appropriate German ones...

Hate to sound picky at this point but I'd really like to have the guages match as closely as possible the ones in the TypeVII. :salute:

SeaStorm
03-05-10, 09:00 PM

Fully agreed. . I haven't got the game yet, so those who are playing it know better.

The devs are not to blame, and i would say they are not sleeping very well,
( i mean if it would be me) knowing the game (their baby) isN't perfectly ''fine tuned''.
After all, they manage to do their 'best' within the calendar imposed by the suitcases.

On the other hand, congrats to all modders, nub and experienced, brave men on the frontlines:rock:
i would really like to join and help mod sh5 at one time to provide models and/or textures.

But for now, i keep on scanning the threads to understand how you guys mod. :D

Galanti
03-05-10, 09:17 PM

I don't know about vonce1, but mine is corrupted graphically. It show's the new UI, but also a mishmash of verious new UI elements all over the screen, and also CTD's anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes from start.

Very frustrating because I really want this to work. I've tried a reinstall, different drivers. I'll try to post a screenshot.

TheDarkWraith
03-05-10, 10:42 PM
I don't know about vonce1, but mine is corrupted graphically. It show's the new UI, but also a mishmash of verious new UI elements all over the screen, and also CTD's anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes from start.

Very frustrating because I really want this to work. I've tried a reinstall, different drivers. I'll try to post a screenshot.

your point is valid. As I continue to sift through the files I'm finding errors in my 3 dials mod (from what I'm learning as I continue to sift through the files). I hope to have a new version posted here soon.

UberMatz
03-05-10, 11:33 PM
I've had really good luck with the SHIV UI mod. No CTDs, no problems. I do however prefer the 3 dials style UI or "slide-outs" like some of the older SHIII/SHIV mods. Either way, I'm still happy with what is being created. They beat the heck out of the SHV interface, hands down. Keep up the great work... I'll happily be testing each of them for you! :salute:

UberMatz

TheDarkWraith
03-05-10, 11:54 PM
ok, got a new verison of the 3 dials mod I think you guys will really like. Both dial states are available and the message pad thingy works!

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/OldSHStyleControls.jpg

I'm adding the american version of the dials now....

Capt.Warner
03-05-10, 11:57 PM
THAT IS AWESOME!:rock::rock:

SubV
03-06-10, 12:06 AM
Thank you man! Can't wait!

kylania
03-06-10, 12:22 AM
New version looks neat!

remowilliams
03-06-10, 12:47 AM
I'm adding the american version of the dials now....
Awesome, three dials is exactly what I'm looking for. :up:

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 01:01 AM
new version of mod posted. See post #1 of this thread.

TheDarkWraith :|\\

Cougar_DK
03-06-10, 02:15 AM
Thanks, can't wait to try it out!

briklebritt
03-06-10, 03:30 AM
Great! :yeah:

maerean_m
03-06-10, 03:35 AM
I'll be posting useful information about modding SH5 in this (more generic) thread (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=1297134#post1297134) so everybody can read it. Your questions are welcomed. http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/1.gif

H.B.
03-06-10, 04:34 AM
Well, the new version looks better of course, but without the full SHIV bar many buttons which were important are missing. I'll stay with your first release. Keep up your great work. I'm sure it won't take too long till there will be a perfect UI with TDC and everything.

AOTD_MadMax
03-06-10, 05:20 AM
Great work DarkWraith,

so there is no more unvisible button with unknown commands in your new version ?
No more CTD by pressing unvisible buttons with unknown commands ?

If this is right you have done it :up:
My mate AOTD|Rhonen works on the same thing but we had the same problems as you got in your first version.
Now they only have to pop up when you press on them like the way they did in SH4 !

Thanks mate for your hard work.
I know that this was hard work cause we need about 10 hours to make it nearly like your first version.

Regards

Maddy

jimimadrid
03-06-10, 05:29 AM
@TheDarkWraith
Try to get the dials bigger by using following settings in the Data\Menu\Pages\Page layout.ini

[G3F I19]
Pos=364,52,75,75
Zone= 876 110 75 75 0 1 0x3F010019 0.5125 0.318182 0x3F1F0000 -0.5 0.5 0 0

[G3F I26]
Pos=364,52,75,75
Zone= 876 110 75 75 0 1 0x3F010019 0.5125 0.318182 0x3F1E0000 -0.5 0.5 0 0

[G3F I35]
Pos=257,52,70,70
Zone= 769 110 70 70 0 1 0x3F010018 0.5 0.363636 0x3F1D0000 -0.5 0.5 0 0

[G3F I42]
Pos=257,52,70,70
Zone= 769 110 70 70 0 1 0x3F010018 0.5 0.363636 0x3F1C0000 -0.5 0.5 0 0

[G3F I50]
Pos=144,52,75,75
Zone= 656 110 75 75 0 1 0x3F010017 0.5125 0.318182 0x3F1A0000 -0.5 0.5 0 0

[G3F I56]
Pos=144,52,75,75
Zone= 656 110 75 75 0 1 0x3F010017 0.5125 0.318182 0x3F1B0000 -0.5 0.5 0 0

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2571/image1ut.jpg

Michal788
03-06-10, 05:30 AM
Great work DarkWraith,

so there is no more unvisible button with unknown commands in your new version ?

My mate AOTD|Rhonen works on the same thing but we had the same problems as you got in your first version.
Now they only have to pop up when you press on them like the way they did in SH4 !

I know that this was hard work cause we need about 10 hours to make it nearly like your first version.

Regards

Maddy

Is it an idea that you both work together instead off work separate?

sergei
03-06-10, 05:45 AM
Nice job, looks good :up:

maerean_m
03-06-10, 05:56 AM
@TheDarkWraith
Try to get the dials bigger by using following settings in the Data\Menu\Pages\Page layout.ini

[G3F I19]
Pos=364,52,75,75
Zone= 876 110 75 75 0 1 0x3F010019 0.5125 0.318182 0x3F1F0000 -0.5 0.5 0 0
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2571/image1ut.jpg
:ping: To all the modders: please see the info provided in this thread (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=1297134#post1297134) on how to activate the Menu Editor (which is the right way to edit the menu pages). Manually editing the ini files may work in some cases (because of the extra checks that are performed when loading the files), but it's not the recommended course of action.

There are things that can be done only by editing the ini file, like setting the bilinear flag for the textures (so they look great when resized (e.g. the dials)). This is done by changing the MatFlags=0x1 property to MatFlags=0x9 (adding 8, the DirectX value for bilinear filtering) for all the items that use that specific texture.
But the resizing of items should be done in the Menu Editor.

rcjonessnp175
03-06-10, 06:56 AM
If it hadnt been said yet thanks for helping these guys out its much appreciated!!:salute:

goethe123
03-06-10, 07:10 AM
hi, im not a modder. no other version of your work installed.

i put data into modenabler and activate. but ingame dont show nothing. what to do?

Michal788
03-06-10, 07:18 AM
hi, im not a modder. no other version of your work installed.

i put data into modenabler and activate. but ingame dont show nothing. what to do?

You must really extract it in the folder MOBS.
Not copy and past from winzip.

goethe123
03-06-10, 07:40 AM
ou must really extract it in the folder MOBS.
Not copy and past from winzip.

done..

nothing change.:((

Sonarman
03-06-10, 07:53 AM
If it hadnt been said yet thanks for helping these guys out its much appreciated!!:salute:

Especially on a Saturday, I presume that's a day off in Romania too?

robbierob2005
03-06-10, 08:14 AM
Thank you very much. This is what i needed.
I wonder why they keep changing the UI. Very annoying.

Keep up the good work. :-)

Robbierob

Michal788
03-06-10, 08:59 AM
done..

nothing change.:((
Than you must see it in JSGME.
So not, than the extracting or folder is wrong.

(The folder is MODS on the root of the game folder.)

Ablemaster
03-06-10, 09:26 AM
Excellent, Thankyou, good work mate.

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 10:03 AM
guys I messed up with the folder structure in the zip file. I see it's been hard for new people that aren't familiar with JSGME to use because of my error. The folder in my zip file 'for_MODS_folder' should have another folder under it - the name of the mod AND then under that the folder \data. I'll correct my uploaded zip files to reflect this change. I'll also update their readme text files to reflect this change.

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 10:09 AM
Great work DarkWraith,

Regards

Maddy

yes there are no more invisible buttons to click.
I'm working on a script that causes the dials to enlarge when you mouse over them (WIP).

vonce1
03-06-10, 10:12 AM
thanks for new dials!

they seem to work well, however my game crashed for the first time while 15 minutes into the game (hard lockup, needed ctrl-alt-del to get out of the game). I sank enemy sub and clicked on captain's log to see what I sank... not sure if new dials have something to do with it. I'll play again if it will happen again...

noirsus
03-06-10, 10:22 AM
mercy congratulations for mod

briklebritt
03-06-10, 10:33 AM
@TheDarkWraith

The dails.dds shows the dails a little big bigger. does your mod scale the dails? is there a chance to make dails like original size shown in dails.dds?

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 10:33 AM
thanks for new dials!

they seem to work well, however my game crashed for the first time while 15 minutes into the game (hard lockup, needed ctrl-alt-del to get out of the game). I sank enemy sub and clicked on captain's log to see what I sank... not sure if new dials have something to do with it. I'll play again if it will happen again...

that's the first report of crash. I can't see how new dials would effect this but keep me posted please. I haven't noticed any problems yet (with the mod) as I use it also.

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 10:34 AM
@TheDarkWraith

The dails.dds shows the dails a little big bigger. does your mod scale the dails? is there a chance to make dails like original size shown in dails.dds?

which folder did you get the dials from in the mod? I haven't noticed this problem. I use the German metric Dials.dds though.

vonce1
03-06-10, 10:57 AM
that's the first report of crash. I can't see how new dials would effect this but keep me posted please. I haven't noticed any problems yet (with the mod) as I use it also.

I tried to repeat mouseclicks and screen layout what I did when I crashed, and can't repeat the crash..so apparently crash was unrelated to dials.

again, they work well - BIG THANKS for them, they make life much easier. I also installed command keys 1.03, finally getting some functionality in the game when I have compass and rudder...

Kromus
03-06-10, 10:58 AM
Just one question about this amazing mod, any idea why I don`t get "Depth under keel" information when using this with CCIP keymod (it even makes "ping" but no info on depth)?
All others seems to work just this one "ctrl+D" doesn`t.
Thx for help.

Edit: It worked with TheDarkWraith first compass only mod.

Drifter
03-06-10, 10:59 AM
DarkWraith, thank you very much for this mod! You have made SH5 playable now. :rock:

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 11:01 AM
Just one question about this amazing mod, any idea why I don`t get "Depth under keel" information when using this with CCIP keymod (it even makes "ping" but no info on depth)?
Thx for help.

good question. I will look into this :salute:

Dimitrius07
03-06-10, 11:04 AM
Power of a mod maker, can`t beat that :arrgh!::rock:

Kromus
03-06-10, 11:04 AM
good question. I will look into this :salute:

Thank you :) Superb mod :yeah:

UberMatz
03-06-10, 11:06 AM
guys I messed up with the folder structure in the zip file. I see it's been hard for new people that aren't familiar with JSGME to use because of my error. The folder in my zip file 'for_MODS_folder' should have another folder under it - the name of the mod AND then under that the folder \data. I'll correct my uploaded zip files to reflect this change. I'll also update their readme text files to reflect this change.

The last thing I want to hear from you is an apology sailor!! :haha: Please keep up the outstanding work. I love the new 3 dials set up!!

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 11:17 AM
The last thing I want to hear from you is an apology sailor!! :haha: Please keep up the outstanding work. I love the new 3 dials set up!!

well I can admit when I'm wrong and I errored there :-? But the problem has been fixed. New zip file uploaded and post #1 changed :up:

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 11:20 AM
ok got an idea here. I can add buttons to the UI to take care of necessary items. What necessary items would you all deem as necessary? These would be like quick keys.
For instance I could add a depth under keel button. What other ones should I add?

vonce1
03-06-10, 11:21 AM
Thx for help.

I had this problem before; could hear the ping but no info in the notepad. I'm using command keys as well; I think the game is just buggy and sometimes certain functionalities are lost randomly. For instance, my command keys work during current patrol, but suddenly except the "view to heading", the keypress does nothing. It worked before. Go figure...

I don't think it's related to dials at all, it's the game itself. I lose functionality on keyboard commands here and there, sometimes keys work, sometimes not. Same with the notepad output, sometimes I get the written output, sometimes not, deppends on the game's "mood", haha

vonce1
03-06-10, 11:26 AM
ok got an idea here. I can add buttons to the UI to take care of necessary items. What necessary items would you all deem as necessary? These would be like quick keys.
For instance I could add a depth under keel button. What other ones should I add?

excellent idea. beside the "depth under keel", I'd love to see the following:

return to course
go to command room
- that would avoid lengthy clearing the bridge before dive by climbing the damn ladder; or "go to attack perriscope", would work as well; anything would be great to get out of the bridge with a single keystroke or mouseclick

UberMatz
03-06-10, 11:35 AM

One that takes us to an actual TDC would rock!! :D

Depth under keel would be great. Rig for silent running would be nice... that way you don't have to find an officer that will tell you he can't comply! hehehe Maybe return to course. I'm sure others have better ideas than I. These just popped to mind first.

It's really sad to see the awesome animation job they did with the attack periscope, and then look at it when it pops up :cry:. I know you guys will get to those big fish soon enough, so I won't complain! Your doing some really beneficial work TheDarkWraith... you guys are rescuing this game from the trash heap!!

Michal788
03-06-10, 11:45 AM
Gramophone and Radio button.:rock:

rsvette12
03-06-10, 11:58 AM
Excuse my ignorance but I can't seem to get this to work, I have used jsme but not seeing new dials, is this a 2 part install first jsme and then some manual manipulation, an in order process description would be great thank you.

Rich

UberMatz
03-06-10, 12:07 PM
Excuse my ignorance but I can't seem to get this to work, I have used jsme but not seeing new dials, is this a 2 part install first jsme and then some manual manipulation, an in order process description would be great thank you.

Rich

If you DL'd it before TheDarkWraith corrected the zip file, make sure you have the UI mod folder in your "MODS" folder and not a folder "for MODS folder" there.

Maltro
03-06-10, 12:15 PM
seems link is broken... :wah:

Kromus
03-06-10, 12:22 PM
I had this problem before; could hear the ping but no info in the notepad. I'm using command keys as well; I think the game is just buggy and sometimes certain functionalities are lost randomly. For instance, my command keys work during current patrol, but suddenly except the "view to heading", the keypress does nothing. It worked before. Go figure...

I don't think it's related to dials at all, it's the game itself. I lose functionality on keyboard commands here and there, sometimes keys work, sometimes not. Same with the notepad output, sometimes I get the written output, sometimes not, deppends on the game's "mood", haha

Well, all other shortcuts are flawlessly working except one described, never had problem with the others. And as i said, it worked flawlessly with TheDarkWraith first mod so it must be somehow connected...

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 12:23 PM
uploading v1.0.1 currently. Minor bug fixes and folder structure changes.

eatmafish
03-06-10, 12:49 PM
eagerly awaiting your masterpiece :salute:

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 01:01 PM
eagerly awaiting your masterpiece :salute:

version 1.0.1 posted. See post #1 of this thread.

version 1.1.0 in progress. It will add the quick buttons (depth under keel, etc.)

Bort
03-06-10, 01:02 PM
Wraith, you've made this game so much more accessible. Thanks for all of your hard work!

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 02:23 PM
ok taking a break for a little while. First 50+ degree F day here in months and cabin fever has been bad! Going to take my R/C helo's out and get some rides in on my motorcycles :D Be back later.....

UberMatz
03-06-10, 02:27 PM
ok taking a break for a little while. First 50+ degree F day here in months and cabin fever has been bad! Going to take my R/C helo's out and get some rides in on my motorcycles :D Be back later.....

Sounds like a great Saturday Afternoon! Enjoy yourself! We'll be happily testing your latest wares while your away!!:salute:

remowilliams
03-06-10, 02:34 PM
Installed the latest version - thank you so much for working on this, it makes a HUGE difference in being able to play the game! :yeah:

Kromus
03-06-10, 02:52 PM
Ctrl+D WORKS!!! Thank you for updated version! :yeah:

Edit: Well after reloading it stopped working again :( Weirdest glitch encountered so far....
Edit2: Otherwise perfect mod :)

vonce1
03-06-10, 02:57 PM
yes, these 3 dials make the game finally playable! great job Wraith; enjoy your weekend, you've done enough for now. thanks again!

rededge
03-06-10, 03:01 PM
Big thanks for this, really excellent mod and makes a huge difference- can't believe this sort of thing has become available so quickly!

I even installed it without a hitch so can't be bad. :woot:

Ploughing along in heavy seas and its just started pi**ing down, and matey-boy behind me is stood there in his shirt sleeves!

Hard men these submariners...

Thanks again :rock:

wolf24
03-06-10, 03:23 PM
can i use the german menu.cfg in v. 1.0.1 ?

wolf

Kromus
03-06-10, 03:32 PM
YES! Remapping Ctrl+D to Shift+D for "depth under keel" worked :) Seems like some "ctrl+" key combos aren`t working right.
Sorry for bothering about this issue.

briklebritt
03-06-10, 03:52 PM
i made better looking gui - i took my photos of original U955 and tried...

@TheDarkWraith
Do u already got an idea how to make dials growing when mouseover? My gfx are read to grow ;-)

If u interested to bring my gfx into your MOD, pls PM me.

Pls make it growing! They are a little too small

http://www.real-one.de/SH5/gui.jpg

http://www.real-one.de/SH5/hud.jpg

http://www.real-one.de/SH5/screen.jpg

cherbert
03-06-10, 04:45 PM
Hey they look gorgeous!

@TheDarkWraith I think you should include them!

Queensryche
03-06-10, 05:18 PM
When I use this mod, I get just a ton of open menu's all over the screen. I can't get rid of them and they just stay open.

I would show a screenshot but I can't take screenshots in the game for some reason either.

Any ideas?

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 05:24 PM
When I use this mod, I get just a ton of open menu's all over the screen. I can't get rid of them and they just stay open.

I would show a screenshot but I can't take screenshots in the game for some reason either.

Any ideas?

you have to be patched to the newest version released by Ubi. What version are you using? Run your game updater (\Ubisoft\SilentHunter5\Support\GameUpdater\gu.exe ) to see if you are running the latest version of the game.

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 05:25 PM
can i use the german menu.cfg in v. 1.0.1 ?

wolf

once again, I made a slight error! Yes, I've forced you into English by using only the English version of the menu file. If you can send me the German one I'll use BUT I'll need someone to translate some items to German that I added.

Queensryche
03-06-10, 05:26 PM
you have to be patched to the newest version released by Ubi. What version are you using? Run your game updater (\Ubisoft\SilentHunter5\Support\GameUpdater\gu.exe ) to see if you are running the latest version of the game.

Thanks much!

Silent Ace
03-06-10, 05:32 PM
:yeah:

briklebritt
03-06-10, 05:34 PM
once again, I made a slight error! Yes, I've forced you into English by using only the English version of the menu file. If you can send me the German one I'll use BUT I'll need someone to translate some items to German that I added.

Tell me the parts or the words which to translate and i will do this for you. I am missing my german text too :salute:

Queensryche
03-06-10, 05:34 PM
Tried updating (is 1.05 the newest?) and it still does it.

Any ideas?

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 05:35 PM
Tried updating (is 1.05 the newest?) and it still does it.

Any ideas?

Did you perform the ubi update with the mod enabled? I hope not! If you disable the mod is everything ok?
What do you see in the JSGME application when you go to enable the mod?
Are you using the newest version of this mod (v1.0.1)?

Queensryche
03-06-10, 05:38 PM
Did you perform the ubi update with the mod enabled? I hope not! If you disable the mod is everything ok?
What do you see in the JSGME application when you go to enable the mod?
Are you using the newest version of this mod (v1.0.1)?

Eek...yeah I did update it while they were active...can't get back to the updater now because it crashes. Guess I have to reinstall?

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 05:43 PM
Eek...yeah I did update it while they were active...can't get back to the updater now because it crashes. Guess I have to reinstall?

I'm afraid so. Before you update the game ALWAYS remove all mods enabled.

Queensryche
03-06-10, 05:46 PM
I'm afraid so. Before you update the game ALWAYS remove all mods enabled.

Alrighty then, at least now I know from now on. :)

ingsoc84
03-06-10, 06:27 PM
Downloaded the mod for the guages, sorry for nob question, its a zip extract file, can someone post the walk through of what goes where? thanks

Galanti
03-06-10, 06:32 PM
@Queensryche, the patch is probablyt installed to the wrong location. I've had the same problems as you since Thursday and about an hour ago figured out the patch never installed to my game path. I had to hunt it down on my hard drive (It was in Program files) and copy it all to my game install.

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 06:40 PM
If you are using the German version of the game see post #1 for an update to get your German text back. It's located under the EDIT:

vonce1
03-06-10, 06:40 PM
i made better looking gui - i took my photos of original U955 and tried...

@TheDarkWraith
Do u already got an idea how to make dials growing when mouseover? My gfx are read to grow ;-)

If u interested to bring my gfx into your MOD, pls PM me.

Pls make it growing! They are a little too small

http://www.real-one.de/SH5/gui.jpg

http://www.real-one.de/SH5/hud.jpg

they are nice!

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 06:41 PM
Downloaded the mod for the guages, sorry for nob question, its a zip extract file, can someone post the walk through of what goes where? thanks

look under the folder \documentation. It will tell you how to enable the mod.

ingsoc84
03-06-10, 06:47 PM
look under the folder \documentation. It will tell you how to enable the mod.

Okay, I found which folder to copy into the game, it says copy into the
ubisoft/silenthunter5/mod folder, but I cant find a "mod" folder, sorry for the hassle, the mod looks fantastic and will make the game so much more playable Im very psyched!

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 06:49 PM
Okay, I found which folder to copy into the game, it says copy into the
ubisoft/silenthunter5/mod folder, but I cant find a "mod" folder, sorry for the hassle, the mod looks fantastic and will make the game so much more playable Im very psyched!

The first time you run the JSGME application it will create a MODS folder for you (if you let it default to that). If you don't have the JSGME application, google it. It's easy to use and recommended :up: Ensure you install the JSGME application into \Ubisoft\SilentHunter5\ folder.

ingsoc84
03-06-10, 06:51 PM
The first time you run the JSGME application it will create a MODS folder for you (if you let it default to that). If you don't have the JSGME application, google it. It's easy to use and recommended :up: Ensure you install the JSGME application into \Ubisoft\SilentHunter5\ folder.

thanks, will do and try to figure it out! ;)

UberMatz
03-06-10, 07:11 PM
All systems go! Finished last half of a patrol with the latest UI... worked flawlessly!! Great Work!:up:

ingsoc84
03-06-10, 07:20 PM
darkwrath, tried to send you a pm, but it kept saying "no file sent" so I'll post here just to make sure:

Thanks,I found the jgsme, downoaded it, put it into my ubisoft/silenthunter 5 folder....then went into that folder, and saw the JGSME app and the "mods" folder, I copied the folder

"for mods folder" which appears with two other folders (documentation and dials) into the "mod" folder in the ubisoft/silenthunter5/mod folder, then ran the jgsme enabler, activated it, and loaded a previous "saved" game in a campaign, bu tdid not see the new dials, will this work only if I start a "new campaign" or am I still not copying the exact file into the mod folder, for example, when I download your mod, I get a folder with the whole name "old style consoles v 1.01 by dark wrath" and when I double click on that, I get the "for mods folder" file, which I then placed in the mods folder..hope that makes sense, I've used this before for panzer elite, dont know why IM having such a problem with it now, but I sure do appreciate your help greatly!

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 07:25 PM
darkwrath, tried to send you a pm, but it kept saying "no file sent" so I'll post here just to make sure:

Thanks,I found the jgsme, downoaded it, put it into my ubisoft/silenthunter 5 folder....then went into that folder, and saw the JGSME app and the "mods" folder, I copied the folder

"for mods folder" which appears with two other folders (documentation and dials) into the "mod" folder in the ubisoft/silenthunter5/mod folder, then ran the jgsme enabler, activated it, and loaded a previous "saved" game in a campaign, bu tdid not see the new dials, will this work only if I start a "new campaign" or am I still not copying the exact file into the mod folder, for example, when I download your mod, I get a folder with the whole name "old style consoles v 1.01 by dark wrath" and when I double click on that, I get the "for mods folder" file, which I then placed in the mods folder..hope that makes sense, I've used this before for panzer elite, dont know why IM having such a problem with it now, but I sure do appreciate your help greatly!

open the folder 'for_MODS_folder'. Copy the single folder contained in it to 'MODS' folder. Enable and enjoy!

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 08:02 PM
one step closer to getting zoomable dials! Here's some results from adding some scripts. This was testing the mouse over and mouse out functions...

mouse over on heading:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/zoom_heading.jpg

mouse out on heading:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/unzoom_heading.jpg

:rock:

kylania
03-06-10, 09:06 PM
Can you make the current speed a bit larger and white please? Orange on Grey really small is hard to read and the only way of seeing how fast you're going now that the default speed bar has been removed. Kinda liked that bar. :P

leonturgeon
03-06-10, 10:04 PM
Hi im running the game off my Labtop and I am not able to use some of the keys. For instance the rudder amidship button does not work and niether does the time compression on the first mission. Thanks

UberMatz
03-06-10, 10:11 PM
Hi im running the game off my Labtop and I am not able to use some of the keys. For instance the rudder amidship button does not work and niether does the time compression on the first mission. Thanks

In the main SH5 forum there may be a post regarding this. It may even be adressed in the tips&tactics sticky. Try there.

UberMatz

loreed
03-06-10, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the interest and effort, I am having a heck of a time getting used to the new interface after years of SH III/IV :up:

TheDarkWraith
03-06-10, 11:55 PM
well I can get the dials to zoom but can't get them to unzoom (yet).....
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ZoomDials.jpg

TheDarkWraith
03-07-10, 12:28 AM
ok dials zoom out now.......I'll be putting together another release with this change...:cool:

now that one kicked my @ss for a little while......but makes perfect sense now....oh the power of scripts.

kylania
03-07-10, 12:34 AM
ok dials zoom out now.......I'll be putting together another release with this change...:cool:

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2927/1267849187920.jpg

Capitaine de vaisseau
03-07-10, 02:35 AM
thz you and the many more who are going to mod sh5 are going to save it,slowly making it the best sh

TheDarkWraith
03-07-10, 03:09 AM
new verison 1.1.0 released. Adds dials that expand/contract when moused over/away. See post #1 of this thread.

Highbury
03-07-10, 03:19 AM
Looks awesome, grabbing it now.

One issue with these that does make me miss your full UI version... we can't direct the gunners as to what part of a ship to aim for. They seem to sink them and not waste too many shots though so not a big deal.

Thank you again for all your hard work on this.

:salute:

TheDarkWraith
03-07-10, 03:20 AM
Looks awesome, grabbing it now.

One issue with these that does make me miss your full UI version... we can't direct the gunners as to what part of a ship to aim for. They seem to sink them and not waste too many shots though so not a big deal.

Thank you again for all your hard work on this.

:salute:

those are coming, don't worry.....:cool:

dcb
03-07-10, 03:29 AM
DarkWraith, thank you very much, this is the best looking interface so far. :up:

Could you please also bring up the icons for gramophone and radio, like in your new UI? It's rather unhandy to always start and close them by keyboard shortcut.

TheDarkWraith
03-07-10, 03:31 AM
DarkWraith, thank you very much, this is the best looking interface so far. :up:

Could you please also bring up the icons for gramophone and radio, like in your new UI? It's rather unhandy to always start and close them by keyboard shortcut.

patience please....I'm working on it....one thing at a time....:cool:

I'm the only one working on these mods so it takes me some time to do things. What I do for one I usually have to do to the other also so it takes even more time (plus testing them!)

I do 'baby steps'...design one little part...test....design another little part....test.....

charognard
03-07-10, 04:08 AM
great job ! thx !

Silent Steel
03-07-10, 05:27 AM
Thanks for letting me get back the "real" ones. Even better looking! :up:
Looking forward to more improvements of the SH-V.
SH-V has huge capabilities that can and for sure will be fully developed by the community.
Sad though that UBI hadn't the possibility do do this prior to release.

Regards from Sweden

Ishigami
03-07-10, 08:45 AM
You know this is ****ing awesome! :rock:

Thank you so much! :yeah:

Lezardo
03-07-10, 09:11 AM
Excellent work and thank you very much.

Ping Jockey
03-07-10, 10:19 AM
Thanks so much for the new UI. It's saved SH5 from the shredder at my house!! Great job on this.:yeah:

vonce1
03-07-10, 10:31 AM
the new gauges are nice; I have only one issue with them - when I move cursor on zoomed gauge to its edge, it will also zoom in the adjacent gauge, which looks odd - is it possible to fix it somehow?; here is a screenshot

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4414061240_939965174a_o.jpg

lynx
03-07-10, 11:20 AM
thanks you are brilliant:sunny::yeah:

TheDarkWraith
03-07-10, 11:52 AM
the new gauges are nice; I have only one issue with them - when I move cursor on zoomed gauge to its edge, it will also zoom in the adjacent gauge, which looks odd - is it possible to fix it somehow?; here is a screenshot

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4414061240_939965174a_o.jpg

will be dealt with in next release......I personally didn't find it annoying or anything but will do something about it.

nolan86
03-07-10, 12:14 PM
thank

piri_reis
03-07-10, 12:15 PM
Improving with every step, great job DW :up:
And thanks to briklebritt, gauges look much nicer now.

gutted
03-07-10, 01:09 PM
Yeah it's really nice. I much prefer this to the "complete SHIV interface".

Just a couple more things to fix and it's perfect.

JFL1
03-07-10, 01:15 PM
Great job!

I just find it shameful that you actually are doing what Ubi should have done first... Somehow, I think they knew modders would do the job and allow them to make money out of a half-baked game.

Thank God you guys allow us to enjoy SH as it was intended.

vonce1
03-07-10, 01:25 PM
will be dealt with in next release......I personally didn't find it annoying or anything but will do something about it.

thanks - it's no biggie really... BTW, I wonder if it the zoomed dials shouldn't be a bit smaller? They're perhaps zoomed-in a bit too much that they look not as sharp... but I guess it's a personal preference afterall; wonder what others think?

Either way, GREAT job Wraith!!! With this mod (plus Church's Keyboard Commands) the game starts to be quite playable.

TheDarkWraith
03-07-10, 01:32 PM
thanks - it's no biggie really... BTW, I wonder if it the zoomed dials shouldn't be a bit smaller? They're perhaps zoomed-in a bit too much that they look not as sharp... but I guess it's a personal preference afterall; wonder what others think?

Either way, GREAT job Wraith!!! With this mod (plus Church's Keyboard Commands) the game starts to be quite playable.

what screen res you using? I use 1920 X 1200 or 2560 X 1600 (depending on whether I'm playing on my 24" LCD Samsung or my 30.5" LCD Samsung) and zoom is perfect at these levels

vonce1
03-07-10, 01:36 PM
what screen res you using? I use 1920 X 1200 or 2560 X 1600 (depending on whether I'm playing on my 24" LCD Samsung or my 30.5" LCD Samsung) and zoom is perfect at these levels

sorry, I should've mentioned that, I wanted to and forgot :) - I use 1600x1200 (on HP2065 20" LCD monitor), my screenshot is 1:1, full/actual size crop...