PDA

View Full Version : [TEC] Terrain editor discussion .

THE_MASK
03-02-10, 06:52 AM
[TEC] Terrain editor discussion .
Will Digital Elevation Mapping be possible ?

Pintea
03-02-10, 07:18 AM
No, it will not be possible. The terrain editor can only edit the terrain over relatively small areas, since it was build in order to create the precise coast lines near harbors. The elevation data is largely the same as in the previous games, but you can alter it as you like with the ter ed.

It can also do things like terrain painting with different textures (roads & such).

Each of the harbor buildings used in the game has a texture with their pre-painted road maps for increased productivity, but you can also hand-paint any shape you like if you wish so.

PS : if some one can provide an upload link pls PM me in order to send you some specifications.

THE_MASK
03-02-10, 07:20 AM
Ok thanks , good to get those tools .

VirtualVikingX
03-02-10, 07:43 AM
I guess we have a developer on our hands. 4 posts and all with HARDCORE knowledge of the game. I really apreciate it, Pintea!

THE_MASK
03-02-10, 08:16 AM
The terrain objects editor . Can i create new objects , say for instance small shrubs .

VirtualVikingX
03-02-10, 09:34 AM
No, it will not be possible. The terrain editor can only edit the terrain over relatively small areas, since it was build in order to create the precise coast lines near harbors. The elevation data is largely the same as in the previous games, but you can alter it as you like with the ter ed.

It can also do things like terrain painting with different textures (roads & such).

Each of the harbor buildings used in the game has a texture with their pre-painted road maps for increased productivity, but you can also hand-paint any shape you like if you wish so.

PS : if some one can provide an upload link pls PM me in order to send you some specifications.

Here you go, guys:

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B48gYYglnALiNzU5ZWQ2MWUtMzZmYS00NGVkL WIyYzEtZWE4MzhmMDAzNWNj&hl=en

I cant post attachements, hence the link. Should work ok.

skwasjer
03-02-10, 10:25 AM
Cool :up:

Safe-Keeper
03-02-10, 10:26 AM
I guess we have a developer on our hands.:DL

Now the only question is, which supermod will recruit him/her first:O:?

(http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B48gYYglnALiNzU5ZWQ2MWUtMzZmYS00NGVkL WIyYzEtZWE4MzhmMDAzNWNj&hl=en)http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...MDAzNWNj&hl=en (http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B48gYYglnALiNzU5ZWQ2MWUtMzZmYS00NGVkL WIyYzEtZWE4MzhmMDAzNWNj&hl=en)

I cant post attachements, hence the link. Should work ok. I'm going to buy this game for the modability alone:).

Sailor Steve
03-02-10, 10:30 AM
<jumps up>

DIBS!

No, just joking. This is very very cool though.:rock:

piri_reis
03-02-10, 11:21 AM
hl=en"]I'm going to buy this game for the modability alone:).

Exactly! The modding tools are as rich as promised. Kudos to the developers :up::up:

urfisch
03-04-10, 01:31 PM
cant start the terrain editor. it is shown in the taskbar list...but if i choose and click it, nothing happens. is there any special condition needs to be, so the editor can start?

greets

Seeadler
03-04-10, 03:09 PM
cant start the terrain editor.
same here, terrain editor won't start:hmmm:

urfisch
03-04-10, 03:23 PM
solved. editor starts only if you are ingame...and near land...

urfisch
03-04-10, 03:29 PM
another problem with terrain editor. what about existing objects? they cant be changed as far, as i tried. any info on that?

Pintea
03-05-10, 04:22 AM
another problem with terrain editor. what about existing objects? they cant be changed as far, as i tried. any info on that?

There is also a TerrainObjects editor.
Buildings can be deleted (delete key) and added in any way you like.
Just check out the document.

urfisch
03-05-10, 05:20 AM

yes, tried this. but only the objects i added can be deleted. i have no access to existing objects in the harbours!

Pintea
03-05-10, 07:47 AM
yes, tried this. but only the objects i added can be deleted. i have no access to existing objects in the harbours!

That's true, you can't edit existing objects. It's not a bug, it's a (missing) feature.

thfeu58
03-05-10, 07:51 AM
Can the map inscription (Deutche Bucht, Nord Meer) be changed then? I do not manage this part still thus!

Pintea
03-05-10, 08:10 AM
Can the map inscription (Deutche Bucht, Nord Meer) be changed then? I do not manage this part still thus!

Are you referring to the map texts ?

Yes, those can be changed. See "data/terrain/LocationMaps/*.shp".
They are nothing but texts made out of triangles and exported from a well known 3d edit tool.

thfeu58
03-05-10, 08:24 AM
Are you referring to the map texts ?

Yes, those can be changed. See "data/terrain/LocationMaps/*.shp".
They are nothing but texts made out of triangles and exported from a well known 3d edit tool.

Yes, this I looked, thank you!

thfeu58
03-05-10, 08:58 AM
Shapely and ShapeViewer do not want to open these files.

bigboywooly
03-05-10, 07:06 PM
Odd as the menu shown in the doc VirtualVikingX posted ( when game windowed ) doesnt appear my end so cant access the terrain ed

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/bigboywooly/wilhelmshaven/terrained.jpg

And yes was a stones throw from land

THE_MASK
03-05-10, 07:39 PM
If yoy are using vista or 7 then karazovnew had the answer .
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163118

The General
03-31-10, 06:46 PM
Ok, how the hell do you open the Terrain Editor?! :damn:

Yes, my main .cfg file in the SH5 documents folder says:

[DEVELOPING]
;Modding=Yes
;MenuEditor=Yes
;DebugScripts=Yes

It always said 'yes', I didn't have to change it, which doesn't bode well.

I have Vista Basic.

Right click on the Taskbar icon just gives me the usual Move/Close B.S!

Seriously, WTF?! :shifty:

EDIT: DELETE THE F**CKING SEMICOLONS!!! Jesus Christ!!

Thank you SOBER, you're a life a saver! :DL:up:

tater
03-31-10, 06:54 PM
Will the terrain editor work on SH4 terrain?

bigboywooly
03-31-10, 11:29 PM
Will the terrain editor work on SH4 terrain?

To edit terrain you have to be playing the game and close to the point you wish to edit so doubt it as tied to the exe I think

tater
04-01-10, 08:35 AM
Wonder if the terrain folders could be replaced with SH4 terrain stuff to mod them.

Truckerich
09-12-10, 05:07 PM
Wonder if the terrain folders could be replaced with SH4 terrain stuff to mod them.
Microsoft Office Word opens everything in terrain folder fo me. If that can help you any.

Truckerich
09-12-10, 05:10 PM
This may sound odd but Microsoft Office Word opened everything in my Terrian Folder for me. Hope that was helpful