PDA

View Full Version : Mod TODOS...so far

urfisch
02-18-10, 10:43 AM
as to what seen so far...i thought about a list of todos. please add anything you noticed and from which we can exspect it find its way in the game, as seen.

PARTICLES

- particle effects (smoke, explosions and fire)
- water textures (foam and caustics)
- interior smoke (diesels fog, etc.)

TEXTURES / 2D

- additional items (leather jackets hanging, binocs, shoes, food, etc.)
- interior textures (dirty, used look, colors)
- interior model details (missing gauges and pipes)
- exterior textures (uboats textures, bunkers, landscape, trees)
- damage textures
- interior lightning
- interface graphics (sh3 interface?)
- interface menues (maps, periscope view, damage control, etc.)

3D MODELING

- additional crew members
- speaking crew members
- additional items in the bunkers (crates, moving people, vehicles)
- interior damage
- additional boats?
- harbours (buildings, harbour life, etc.)

CODING

- state machine controllers (crew actions, water droplets in control room, water splashes from tower hatch, etc.)
- speaking crew members
- clickable controls in the boat
- enigma app for radio
- additional boats?
- realistic rosters for the campaign
- Bring up TDC while using UZO

:up:

Nisgeis
02-18-10, 11:11 AM
I was interested to see what someone had released already. Should this be a REQ not a REL?

How about the crew not having a Ready Brek glow about them? We know they're clickable, so don't really need it - unless they are only sometimes clickable, like if they have something to say.

Webster
02-18-10, 11:31 AM
I was interested to see what someone had released already. Should this be a REQ not a REL?

How about the crew not having a Ready Brek glow about them? We know they're clickable, so don't really need it - unless they are only sometimes clickable, like if they have something to say.

yep, I'll fix that for him

Sailor Steve
02-18-10, 11:34 AM
It's a good start.

Galanti
02-18-10, 03:05 PM
I would add, if necessary,

realistic rosters for the campaign
historic availability of ships
duds and deep-runner like

and most importantly.....

Thought balloons have got to go...

Webster
02-18-10, 03:18 PM
I would add, if necessary,

Thought balloons have got to go...

well wait a minute, maybe you can put pictures of what they are thinking in there like the girl at home :O:

AVGWarhawk
02-18-10, 04:30 PM
Good looking list so far! :up:

Onkel Neal
02-18-10, 09:14 PM
Add "Bring up TDC while using UZO".

THE_MASK
02-18-10, 09:33 PM
Well , i would like an option in the graphics options for crew . There should be CREW= sparse crew/medium crew/full crew . Because i bet my bottom dollar there will be no way in hell of adding more crew , it looks too complicated with how the whole thing runs . I think in the first patch there should be this option . Its all speculation atm though .

Ducimus
02-19-10, 08:15 PM
All i have to say is I pity the poor schmuck who gets suckered into making one of this games first supermods. Jesus H christ, are they in for one helluva time. Been there, done that, got the T shirt, and i question if it was worth it. Dear sir/ma'am, whoever you are, you have my sincere condolences.

Ducimus
02-19-10, 08:50 PM
In reference to the list, i think you guys are getting over ambitious at this stage. IMO the first priorities are to make sure the game UI is accessible, to make it easier to get into. Years of engrained hotkey mashing may have to be overcome. Or worse yet, serious clipping issues with moving about on your uboat.

Then your going to want to look at what i think of as "the core systems". Garunteed there will be items that are basic to a simulation that will not be working as they should. Some specifics to the submarine such as dive time, fuel, or crush depth, over/under/improper crewing of the sub, or AI detection, to convoy spacing between ships. In sum, I'd start with things that most DIRECTLY impact the player, and work outward from there..

And even then, keep it light, superficial, and to the bare neccessities. You'll have incoming patch's yet, and making mods patch compatible can be a PITA The bigger the mod, the more complex the changes, the harder it becomes (Trust me i know). In retrospect, that is probably a good reason to eye candy fixes tell ubi's done patching.

JScones
02-19-10, 09:11 PM
All i have to say is I pity the poor schmuck who gets suckered into making one of this games first supermods. Jesus H christ, are they in for one helluva time. Been there, done that, got the T shirt, and i question if it was worth it. Dear sir/ma'am, whoever you are, you have my sincere condolences.
:yep: I have a feeling that the increasing number of subsim members will equate to more diverse demands and thus more diverse criticism than anyone has experienced at any point in the past.

Further, this will most likely result in more modders to cater for the diversity...more modders means more mods...more mods means more headaches for anyone bold enough to bring it all together.

Throw in Ubisoft's "maybe/maybe not we'll release an add-on at some undefined time in the future" and yeah, I hope the first "alpha male" has balls of steel...no, titanium...

Anyway:

1. If I may now pass an observation, and Ducimus, you're best to correct me if I am wrong, one thing I noticed that SH4 lacked were experienced 3D modellers. 3D modellers are critical to the success of many of the abovelisted mods coming to fruition. One or two "experts" are not going to be able to cover everything listed. Just ship building can be a full time job. With SH5 seemingly more graphics focussed, 3D modellers will be in even more demand. Unless existing SH3 modellers move straight across, then it's a safe bet that major 3D changes will take time...unless the modder tools shipped with SH5 include easy to use object builders/editors.

2. My main interest (apart from some of what's listed above) would be understanding what SH3Cmdr brings to the table that SH5 doesn't inherently address. More specifically, I'd want to ensure the "random" element exists in the game. That, believe it or not, is one of the most important aspects for me...the challenge of the unknown, as opposed to the knowledge of the known.

After that, the historical accuracy stuff. Correct ranks, correct medal availability dates, correct crew compositions and such.

I do hope that someone steps up to the plate and develops a superior SH5 "version" of SH3Cmdr...from what I've seen I think one will be warranted, if for no other reason than to randomise crew (and their details) for each career.

Beyond this, I concur with Ducimus's recommendation that modders walk before they run. As the saying goes, an elephant is easier to eat in small bites, not whole. ;)

Onkel Neal
02-19-10, 10:08 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else get that tingly feeling when they see Ducimus and JScones posting about modding a new SH? :yeah:

Ducimus
02-19-10, 11:05 PM
1. If I may now pass an observation, and Ducimus, you're best to correct me if I am wrong, one thing I noticed that SH4 lacked were experienced 3D modellers. 3D modellers are critical to the success of many of the abovelisted mods coming to fruition. One or two "experts" are not going to be able to cover everything listed. Just ship building can be a full time job. With SH5 seemingly more graphics focussed, 3D modellers will be in even more demand. Unless existing SH3 modellers move straight across, then it's a safe bet that major 3D changes will take time...unless the modder tools shipped with SH5 include easy to use object builders/editors.

I can't say SH4 lacked experienced 3d modelers. Two good ones to point out (that i know of) are Captain America and his (now dead in the water) interior mod, and Vickers03 interior revamp. Not to mention kielto's work on the Narhwal submarine.

I can say that if one was to compare 3d modelers in terms of total manpower in the community, between SH3 and Sh4, then yes, SH4 has a large deficit, and in the end it shows. And your right, (generally speaking) one or two experts is not going to cover everything. In SH4, we have a lot of that.

Is it just me or does anyone else get that tingly feeling when they see Ducimus and JScones posting about modding a new SH? :yeah:

Who said i was modding SH5? All i was doing was offering advice (and sympathies). :O: Infact, im not even gonna buy SH5. Not because its uboats, and not just because of DRM. no the biggest reason im not gonna buy SH5, is...... *drum roll*, I feel as if I haven't even played SH4 yet!!!!!!!oneeee1111111!! :damn::damn: (and i probably never will, no game is fun when you know it inside and out)

FIREWALL
02-19-10, 11:30 PM

Your not alone in that feeling. My only contribution to this thread is... Play it out of the box first. :woot:

Look for all the good in it first. :yep: Then....

Mod small things at first like CCIP and jimimadrid did in SH4.

THE_MASK
02-19-10, 11:54 PM
I agree the interior looks too sterile . Much things need to be added .

THE_MASK
02-20-10, 12:16 AM
Get rid of the stupid little noises you hear when clicking on things . You can hear them in the Neals uboat interior video .

FIREWALL
02-20-10, 12:29 AM
I still say ... Smell the roses first. Time enough to prune them later.

jimimadrid
02-20-10, 12:39 PM
Your not alone in that feeling. My only contribution to this thread is... Play it out of the box first. :woot:

Look for all the good in it first. :yep: Then....

Mod small things at first like CCIP and jimimadrid did in SH4.

Yes sir, i agree. SH5 is still ordered at amazon and i'm waiting to put my hands on it. :yep:

V.C. Sniper
02-20-10, 05:10 PM
I think its about time to replaces those disgusting looking torpedo bubble wakes (surface wakes, the underwater one is fine) with something more realistic. They should be longer and stays on the surface after the torpedo detonates.

Would be a + if the torpedo geysers looked something like this:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rivervet.com/images/WhitfieldCty/DSCT%2520L%2520SE%2520AG%2520L116.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php%3FNumber%3D488660&usg=__HVryJU1As5Oiue-fJVsBQIpVPwk=&h=495&w=745&sz=39&hl=en&start=4&itbs=1&tbnid=P8g7j-z4WR6woM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=141&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtorpedo%2Bwakes%26hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disc h:1

urfisch
02-22-10, 08:11 AM
now, this is a heavy impact!!!

http://www.rivervet.com/images/WhitfieldCty/DSCT%20L%20SE%20A%20G%20L116.jpg

guess my part, to play with the particle effects.dat

;)

Sgtmonkeynads
02-23-10, 02:39 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/Officerpuppy_/MTW2/Yoda.jpg

Tarnsman
02-23-10, 07:18 PM
Get rid of the highlight glow selector thingy stuff.
I dont like my Capt doing acid on patrol.

oscar19681
02-25-10, 05:48 PM
It seems that apart from other ships in port there doesnt seem to be any life and other u-boats in port. So what i would like to see is other u-boats and people in the other pens modded in.

Crew on deck when living and entering port doesnt seem to have made it in so this could be added and i think this shouldnt be so hard to be done since sh-5 is based upon sh-5 and we hade commandos and spys on deck when we had thye commando and spy delivery missions.

It seems the band in port hasnt made it in either as far as i can analyse so lets add those musical boys as well

Maybe a little harded to mod is the u-boat bars we had ion AOD and maybe even a whore house.

Also much much more food and suplies in the boat esspecially in the kicthen. I mean one SOUP! and a bowl for all the crew? I thought the u-boat force had the best rations in the whole german militairy.

Sailor Steve
02-25-10, 06:29 PM
I do hope that someone steps up to the plate and develops a superior SH5 "version" of SH3Cmdr...from what I've seen I think one will be warranted, if for no other reason than to randomise crew (and their details) for each career.
Well, no one did it for SH4, so I'm not holding my breath. I do agree though - crew looks like one place that's gonna need it.

JohnnyMacintosh
02-25-10, 10:17 PM
A campaign that goes up to 1945?
And depending on the modablilty, a possibility to actually influence the war so much that the German's win? :hmmm:
Authentic U-boat "Uniforms"?

quad5
02-28-10, 12:47 AM
now, this is a heavy impact!!!

http://www.rivervet.com/images/WhitfieldCty/DSCT%20L%20SE%20A%20G%20L116.jpg

guess my part, to play with the particle effects.dat

;)

Hi urfisch! Probably to make the same explosion in game?:up:

Wild_skipper
02-28-10, 04:28 AM
What about a real dials mod ?

McHibbins
02-28-10, 07:17 AM
The vids about sinking ships in SH5 on UTube are crying for "natural sinking mechanics"

Denson
02-28-10, 11:37 AM
As someone found in other thread.

- Getting TDC controls in cunning tower, not just TDC scennery.
- SH3 Gauges MOD
- Check for acoustic dat files if they can be back.
- Torp adjustable gyro
- Bigger ship book - the one in the vid is small, i woul'd need a uzo, reposition it away from under periscope view.

BTW why they'd put a cook since a George V shell can't even scratch the face of your crew

Onkel Neal
02-28-10, 02:42 PM

+10 :yeah:

Mav87th
02-28-10, 04:00 PM
I am definetly going to check out the FOV and periscope realism as one of the first things. I just hate it when the ships lenghts are not the correct amount of degrees at set ranges. To me that is one of the most importent things as it influences my targeting.

So im looking forward to check if UBI's developers actualy did it right this time. Or perhaps i can earn a free Add-on later as i did last time :arrgh!:

TH0R
02-28-10, 05:26 PM
For me, the watch crew is a total immersion killer and should IMHO be close to the top of the list for fixing / moding.

I just watched few of the videos and from what I was able to see - the feeling you get on the CT is dull to say the least. Bridge crew not using binoculars, only two of them actually doing the spotting, WO always glued to the UZO, only three watch crew instead of four of them etc...

Sailor Steve
02-28-10, 05:34 PM
...WO always glued to the UZO...
The UZO shouldn't even be there, unless the 1WO calls for it when making an attack. The binoculars aren't waterproof.

TH0R
02-28-10, 05:41 PM
The UZO shouldn't even be there, unless the 1WO calls for it when making an attack. The binoculars aren't waterproof.

+1000

I have been waiting for someone to post something like that for ages. :) I miss the 'UZO auf Brucke' from Das Boot. SH3 had the UZO always on the CT, and SH5 is no different unfortunately.

Pintea
03-01-10, 05:05 AM
Ubisoft has updated the Q&A with a short description of some of the dev tools used :
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1121062387/m/8591082387

TH0R
03-01-10, 05:06 AM
Maybe you should post this in the general SH5 room as well?

Safe-Keeper
03-01-10, 01:07 PM
http://www.rivervet.com/images/WhitfieldCty/DSCT%20L%20SE%20A%20G%20L116.jpgAweomse graphics! When are you releasing this?!

Drifter
03-01-10, 10:47 PM
One thing that seriously needs to avoided in the SH5 modding community is the super-mod hero worship crap that went on with SH3. That 'no-other-mods-meet-our-quality-approval-so-we-cannot-endorse-it' attitude really turned off a lot of the other modders. There should be room for all mods and modders, not just one or two super-mod teams.

Ducimus
03-01-10, 11:54 PM
/popcorn

edit:

To be fair....
>>cannot-endorse-it' attitude

I'll defend those 4 words. When your doing a large mod, you really can't endorse much. There's alot of file interdependency and an improper tweak here, can have undesired outcomes there. When the end user runs a huge list of mods, just about anything can happen, and if your mod is the biggest one - you end up getting the blame, even though it was the end users fault for running a bunch of mods, without any iota or concern of unintended behavior, or conflicting changes, missing nodes, missing textures, etc etc. The list goes on.

I suspect what is going to be a HUGE problem in SH5, is end users running a crap ton of smaller mods that are going to be overwriting the same files, causing wierdness until the community can decided on some baseline, and some alpha personality types (ehh.. not me though i probably am one), compile all the changes and rework the files so all the changes are in sync and not conflicting.

skwasjer
03-02-10, 06:45 AM
Well, there's two ways of doing that Ducimus. What Drifter means (I guess) is, that if I made a new mod and it wasn't up to your standards that you (the alpha) don't come in flaming me/putting me down, but instead provide pointers how to improve it or shut the hell up all together. No community needs one person/group run down other 'smaller' individuals/groups.

I understand that builders of supermods are in a tough spot vs their user base, but you shouldn't be building a publicly released supermod in the first place if you don't want to deal with that. You might as well keep it private instead then...

RE: S3D... It's not that I selectively help people either, or even tell them their work is crap, just because I made the most common used mod-tool. There's only one way to improve the game, and that is together.

I do see alot of problems with modding SH5 though. While the new tools are great, both patches and the increased complexity will bring many headaches. But enjoy everyone, it is good to know I don't have to spend another 2 years of spare time :up:

Drifter
03-02-10, 08:09 AM
Well, there's two ways of doing that Ducimus. What Drifter means (I guess) is, that if I made a new mod and it wasn't up to your standards that you (the alpha) don't come in flaming me/putting me down, but instead provide pointers how to improve it or shut the hell up all together. No community needs one person/group run down other 'smaller' individuals/groups.

I understand that builders of supermods are in a tough spot vs their user base, but you shouldn't be building a publicly released supermod in the first place if you don't want to deal with that. You might as well keep it private instead then...

RE: S3D... It's not that I selectively help people either, or even tell them their work is crap, just because I made the most common used mod-tool. There's only one way to improve the game, and that is together.

I do see alot of problems with modding SH5 though. While the new tools are great, both patches and the increased complexity will bring many headaches. But enjoy everyone, it is good to know I don't have to spend another 2 years of spare time :up:

Well said, skwasjer. I was specifically talking about smaller mods that were released in the past to be made compatible with the two SH3 super-mods. But the super-duper mods' 'team leaders' had complained that certain smaller mods 'broke' features of their super-duper mods, and that the download links should be removed. As if they had a patent on SH3 or something. :nope:

Anyways, I don't want to hijack this thread. That's all in the past now (hopefully). :sunny:

Ducimus
03-02-10, 02:24 PM
Well, there's two ways of doing that Ducimus. What Drifter means (I guess) is, that if I made a new mod and it wasn't up to your standards that you (the alpha) don't come in flaming me/putting me down,

No, i don't ever recall jumping into another modders schitt just because i didn't like their work. You must be thinking about someone else.

Your right there. Im really bad at "support". Hate writing documentation, and plenty of times im rolling my eyes when i lurk the forums. Inane comments raise my hackles more times then i care to admit. But hey i learned my lesson, i wont ever do a supermod again. Too much time , effort and stress. If i ever get this game, i'll sit back and let someone else do all the damn work, then reap the bennfitts of gameplay at no cost to me. :yeah:

But the super-duper mods' 'team leaders' had complained that certain smaller mods 'broke' features of their super-duper mods, and that the download links should be removed. As if they had a patent on SH3 or something. :nope:

You mean there was more then one team leader in SH3? I thought there was only one team left standing after the mod war. *shrug*

oscar19681
03-02-10, 02:58 PM
as to what seen so far...i thought about a list of todos. please add anything you noticed and from which we can exspect it find its way in the game, as seen.

PARTICLES

- particle effects (smoke, explosions and fire)
- interior smoke (diesels fog, etc.)

TEXTURES / 2D

- interior textures (dirty, used look, colors)
- exterior textures (uboats textures, bunkers, landscape, trees)
- damage textures
- interior lightning
- interface graphics (sh3 interface?)
- interface menues (maps, periscope view, damage control, etc.)

3D MODELING

- speaking crew members
- additional items in the bunkers (crates, moving people, vehicles)
- interior damage
- additional boats?
- harbours (buildings, harbour life, etc.)

CODING

- state machine controllers (crew actions, water droplets in control room, water splashes from tower hatch, etc.)
- speaking crew members
- clickable controls in the boat
- enigma app for radio
- additional boats?
- realistic rosters for the campaign
- Bring up TDC while using UZO

:up:

Please could you add

-crew on deck (not conning tower) when entering and leaving harbour.
-correct conning tower for VIIB
-fanfare at the harbour when entering and leaving harbour
-remove subs on rails and give u-boat realistic pitch and roll in heavy sea,s

Sailor Steve
03-02-10, 04:34 PM
You mean there was more then one team leader in SH3? I thought there was only one team left standing after the mod war. *shrug*
Actually there are two major mod teams still working on SH3 as we type. And doing a great job.

skwasjer
03-04-10, 11:29 AM
No, i don't ever recall jumping into another modders schitt just because i didn't like their work. You must be thinking about someone else.
I didn't mean you, I mean some guys/teams with above average mod-knowhow in general, that have the tendency to believe their work > all. I don't like it when I see such ppl put others down. The way I always saw my role in SH4 (in particular, but also a bit SH3) was that ppl counted on me to help them. And so I did.

Your right there. Im really bad at "support". Hate writing documentation, and plenty of times im rolling my eyes when i lurk the forums. Inane comments raise my hackles more times then i care to admit. But hey i learned my lesson, i wont ever do a supermod again. Too much time , effort and stress. If i ever get this game, i'll sit back and let someone else do all the damn work, then reap the bennfitts of gameplay at no cost to me. :yeah:

Support is though, and I myself am not able to fully support everyone either. But I do remember you made some tutorials as have I, and surely you helped others make their mod compatible... again, I wasn't adressing you directly in saying you put other's ppl work down, I just tried to clarify Drifter's post a bit (or at least how I read it)

rededge
03-06-10, 05:09 PM
Hope this is the right thread, I would love to see the water droplets effect tweaked so that it works on binocs and scopes only, rather that all the time (like the capt is wearing specs?)- I suspect this is a common one! :yep:

EDIT** -- AND !! How to get rid of those annoying and unnecessary (at least to me) "objective" buttons that are permanently at the top of the screen. Shame there isn't something in the options to switch those off.

Looks like things are shaping up though, ladies and gents- maybe SHV will captivate us all given time....