PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft announces Silent Hunter 5

Pages : [1] 2 3

Onkel Neal
08-17-09, 12:03 PM
UBISOFT ANNOUNCES
SILENT HUNTER® 5
EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE PC

Prepare to dive into cinematic battles with strong enemy warships across the Atlantic and Mediterranean

:ping:VIEW THE TRAILER FROM SUBSIM HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5TbW04FzkI):ping:

Chertsey, UK – August 17, 2009 – Today, Ubisoft announces the fifth iteration of the highly acclaimed submarine simulation series with Silent Hunter® 5. Developed by Ubisoft Romania, Silent Hunter® 5 is the next installment of the best-selling submarine series of all-time and will be available for the PC in early 2010. Silent Hunter® 5 ventures into uncharted territory and takes players behind the periscope of a German U-boat to take on the Allied Forces in famous battles across the vast Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea. For the first time in the history of the series, players can live the life of a submarine captain from a first-person view and lead a crew in a critical campaign.
Silent Hunter® is the most award-winning submarine series of all time, with nearly 1.5 million copies sold worldwide. The previous release in the franchise, Silent Hunter®: Wolves of the Pacific, made a lasting solid impact on the franchise’s growing fan base after it was released to worldwide critical acclaim, including being named 2007’s “Simulation Game of the Year” by PC Gamer.

http://www.subsim.com/sh5/SH5_screen_GamesCom_6.jpg

Silent Hunter® 5 key features:

• VIEW AS A CAPTAIN: Walk through highly detailed submarines in the new first-person view and access every part of your U-boat.
• BECOME A REAL LEADER: Interact with your crew, watch them perform their daily jobs and experience the tension and fear inside the U-boat through the new advanced order system.
• WAR STRATEGIES: Choose your own strategy and select your targets with a new objective-driven, dynamic campaign.
• ENEMY REACTIONS: Open new locations, upgrades and resupply possibilities, while the Allied ships adjust dynamically to your approach. Your actions will directly impact the evolution of the campaign.
• NEW USER INTERFACE: Prowl the waters with a brand-new user interface. Now, every beginner can successfully command a sub while remaining free of confusion. In expert mode, experienced players will be provided all the necessary information and controls to command the sub completely on their own.
• CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE: Experience the most realistic and immersive Silent Hunter ever created. Improved environment graphics create a powerful level of immersion as you operate authentic, highly detailed U-boats and fight against surface ships.
Silent Hunter®5 is scheduled for release in early 2010.

http://www.subsim.com/sh5/SH5_screen_GamesCom_3.jpg

For more information, please visit www.silenthunter5.com (http://www.silenthunter5.com/)

About Ubisoft®:
Ubisoft is a leading producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment products worldwide and has grown considerably through a strong and diversified line-up of products and partnerships. Ubisoft is present in 28 countries and has sales in more than 55 countries around the globe. It is committed to delivering high-quality, cutting-edge video game titles to consumers. For the 2008–09 fiscal year Ubisoft generated sales of 1.058 billion euros. To learn more, please visit www.ubisoftgroup.com (http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/).
© 2009 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved.Silent Hunter, Ubisoft, Ubi.com, and the Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in the U.S. and/or other countries. Video material furnished under license by and copyright © PeriscopeFilm.com and used with permission.

FIREWALL
08-17-09, 12:14 PM
Thx Neal :salute: This sounds really exciteing.

If it's delivered as advertised. This is BIG. :DL

Undefined
08-17-09, 12:22 PM
:o. I CANT WAIT SO LONG! :D

BulSoldier
08-17-09, 12:22 PM
Im am actually a bit afraid of this game.For some reason i wonder should gwx team stop gwx4 and wait for the new game and then resume work.(though that would greatly slow down the work because of the new chalanges that the new engine will probably bring with it.)
It is nice that everything will be animated so the sub will feel alive but i hope there will be full german audio since the trailer was like i was watching something about sh4.Atleast to me it seems the only good thing this game will have above gwx4 (or atleast as i expect it to be) will be the fully animated enviroment.

It brings somehow mixed feelings in me.

mcsterls
08-17-09, 12:23 PM
shack News has a few more pics over here.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/60018

mookiemookie
08-17-09, 12:32 PM
:yeah::woot::rock:

I can't wait!!!!!!

dcb
08-17-09, 12:33 PM
HOORAY!:woot:
A long wait comes to an end (followed by another long wait, until they'll release it:D)

ajrimmer42
08-17-09, 12:34 PM
ftw! :rock:

Kptlt. Neuerburg
08-17-09, 12:37 PM
Sweetness, I can't wait to get this. Quick to the computer-part selling websites so I can upgrade my system so I can run this game!!!

FIREWALL
08-17-09, 12:38 PM
Any Computer Specs been posted ?

BulSoldier
08-17-09, 12:40 PM
I doubt hardware req will be posted any sooner than 1-2 month before the game realeases but who knows.

Chad
08-17-09, 12:44 PM
Hoorah! And Cheers for UbiSoft Romania!

Dan! Best of luck friend :D

dogboat
08-17-09, 12:46 PM
I can not wait.:|\\

FIREWALL
08-17-09, 12:49 PM
After watching the Trailer will I buy SH5 ?

HELL YES !!! :D

Shearwater
08-17-09, 12:57 PM
For the first time in the history of the series, players can live the life of a submarine captain from a first-person view and lead a crew in a critical campaign.

So far that's the only novel aspect, and it's far from breathtaking. As for the rest - just more of the same :yawn:
Why don't they make a WW1 Uboat sim for a change, if it really has to be diesel-electrics? If Ubi did something like Shells of Fury, I'd nearly wet myself. But SH5 - no thanks, I'll stick with SH3. At least I won't have to buy a new computer to run it :shifty:

FIREWALL
08-17-09, 12:59 PM
And the whineing begins. :wah: :har:

Shearwater
08-17-09, 01:04 PM
And the whineing begins. :wah: :har:

Trust me, that's only the beginning! ;)

SteamWake
08-17-09, 01:06 PM
Johan.... why Johan... :oops:

Oh sorry the first screenshot gave me flashbacks.

Anyhow this is good news and almost assuredly I will buy it.

conus00
08-17-09, 01:07 PM
This looks really good. But it's way too early to get excited.
Decent trailer but, is it just me, or is the narrating kinda weird?

Also, I think that U-boat games should be released exclusively in spoken German language with English subtitles. The English IMO takes away from the atmosphere.

In the trailer (besides factual mistakes) I'm actually missing very loud bell and 'ALAAAAARMMMMM!!!!' before the planes buzz the uboat. :D

Sailor Steve
08-17-09, 01:08 PM
DANG!

That's looking pretty hot so far!

Dowly
08-17-09, 01:08 PM
AWESOME!!! :rock:

Admiral Von Gerlach
08-17-09, 01:10 PM
I am very very grateful to see that this fine company and UbiSoft are combining to bring us the next generation of possiblity for SH ...and SHV will be the best of the series I predict confidently, and an amazing gift to us all.

I propose that we appreciate and thank our lucky stars for this fantastic and fortunate event. I study and research the entire range of sims and many have been cut or closed for future development (MS Flight Sim and Train sim both for example) and have no future Here we see what many have already begun to bring into reality in mod work in this very community, a fully realized entire submarine and I am sure with the skills of the modders here any era and any type of boat will be within reach.

So lets thank the stars above and the Laughing Fates for this wonderful event to come and I send my appreciation to the entire development team and to UbiSoft, after a lifetime of studying naval history we are approaching a chance to really experience the entire possiblities.

DigitalAura
08-17-09, 01:12 PM
WOW! That opening cinematic looks great! I love the fact that we'll be able to walk through the whole U-Boat now! I dunno... I think this'll play more like a movie than a sim, but I'm interested!!:yeah:

Capt.Warner
08-17-09, 01:13 PM
Woot Cant Wait!:woot::woot::woot:

Bartolomeus
08-17-09, 01:13 PM
Thx for the info Neal. Cant wait for the release!

Pisces
08-17-09, 01:14 PM
First wrong move made allready. For crying out loud,... ATLEAST use german ACCENTS!!! This trailer is like watching U-571. :damn:

I'm curious about the dynamic campaign though. And I hope they mean with "Improved environment graphics" that the horizon is rendered realistically. Not with more pixels/textures/whatever.

FIREWALL
08-17-09, 01:17 PM
WOW! That opening cinematic looks great! I love the fact that we'll be able to walk through the whole U-Boat now! I dunno... I think this'll play more like a movie than a sim, but I'm interested!!:yeah:

Do's Silent Steel come to mind ? :hmmm:

DaveU186
08-17-09, 01:20 PM
Agree about the voices. Completely lets it down.

Sailor Steve
08-17-09, 01:21 PM
I just watched the trailer. We'll of course have to wait to see if the game when played lives up to that promise, but I have confidence.

As to the voices, of course the American-accented English is jarring, but even SH3 had German and English voices, so I wouldn't worry too much, as this trailer was obviously made for an English-speaking audience. And for German accents...well, people complained that they sounded silly in SH2, so there are going to be complaints no matter what they do.

So quit worrying about trivial things and start gearing up for some real complaints!:rotfl:

mookiemookie
08-17-09, 01:29 PM
Decent trailer but, is it just me, or is the narrating kinda weird?

Not just you. Just pretty poor voice acting. I'm sure that doesn't reflect upon the finished product, and if it does, it should be pretty easy to insert Das Boot voices as we've done with SH3/4

Also, I think that U-boat games should be released exclusively in spoken German language with English subtitles. The English IMO takes away from the atmosphere.No harm in giving people the option.

In the trailer (besides factual mistakes) I'm actually missing very loud bell and 'ALAAAAARMMMMM!!!!' before the planes buzz the uboat. :DI'm sure it will be there :up:

FIREWALL
08-17-09, 01:29 PM
I think the screenshots give the real flavor of the game.

The Trailer is just that. A movie to give you an idea of the suspense and good marketing.

I think it's going to be a Winner. :up:

Spring 2010 will tell the whole story.:yep:

Munchausen
08-17-09, 01:30 PM
:cool: I'll buy it ... and do a major computer upgrade ... if Ubi doesn't rush development to make a Christmas deadline and, in doing so, drops a few of the options shown in the trailer and/or leaves modders to fix the bugs.

Sonarman
08-17-09, 01:30 PM
Interesting also to see that they state the series has collectively sold over 1.5 million copies!

FIREWALL
08-17-09, 01:33 PM
Would some of you show the Courtesy of reading some of the prior posts before , Just jumping to the POST REPLY.

Already there's been some errors posted.

Syxx_Killer
08-17-09, 01:35 PM
The trailer looked interesting. Maybe I missed it, but are they using a new graphics engine with SHV? I thought it looked a lot like SHIV's. Either way, I do like the ability to walk the length of the boat. I hope my computer will be able to run it. I didn't see anything there about wolfpacks, though... :arrgh!::rotfl:

BulSoldier
08-17-09, 01:39 PM
I have played sh4 for a very short time but to me it looked a bit enchanted sh4 graphic engine aswell. And you are right, noone mentioned wolfpacks , lets hope they have just forgot to announce them...:yep:

TigerShark808
08-17-09, 01:40 PM
So quit worrying about trivial things and start gearing up for some real complaints!:rotfl:

For real! Someone always got to be complaining about something! :yep:

FIREWALL
08-17-09, 01:42 PM
I'm saddened they didn't include an option to switch roles and play surface ships as an adversary.

fireship4
08-17-09, 01:42 PM
The ridiculously hollywoodish voiceover detracted highly from the video, but I certainly look forward to it, and am impressed to some extent with how it is looking. The explosion of the ship though at least was not comprised of solely ingame effects as far as I could tell, as well as some other more obvious (and therefore less misleading) bits.

FIREWALL
08-17-09, 01:43 PM
I'm saddened they didn't include an option to switch roles and play surface ships as an adversary.

Hhmm:hmmm: A possible future Add-on ? :woot:

Farside
08-17-09, 01:47 PM
*blows dust off of profile*

ooohh yea baby!

cant wait for this to come out.. one new 3d card here i come!

*EDIT*

Ok, watched the trailer.. hmm i agree some german voices with subtitles would have been more.. atmospheric for the trailer. Gameplay looks good, i think though that one or two of the shots could have been pulled straight from SH4.

I agree the people need to have an option. Personally i used is to enhance my german!
Kleine fahrt feraus! please excuse my terrible spelling.

Kapt Z
08-17-09, 01:47 PM
I have played sh4 for a very short time but to me it looked a bit enchanted sh4 graphic engine aswell. And you are right, noone mentioned wolfpacks , lets hope they have just forgot to announce them...:yep:

Come on wolfpacks........

please, please, please......:06:

keltos01
08-17-09, 01:48 PM
Looks really nice !!

I hope we wil be able to mod this game like SH4... but we'll need a Skwasjer 2 then !!!

The models don't look too different from SH4 though..

And our IJN campaign is still coming !

keltos

Jimbuna
08-17-09, 01:50 PM
First wrong move made allready. For crying out loud,... ATLEAST use german ACCENTS!!! This trailer is like watching U-571. :damn:

I'm curious about the dynamic campaign though. And I hope they mean with "Improved environment graphics" that the horizon is rendered realistically. Not with more pixels/textures/whatever.

Early days mate......there is a lot more to come......believe me http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

dcb
08-17-09, 01:50 PM
According to IGN.com, release date is Q1 2010.
http://pc.ign.com/objects/026/026623.html

And according to Ubisoft tradition, each game in the SH installment hit the shelves in March. So, I'd guess it's set for release in March 2010.

More from IGN:

General Features

Walk through highly detailed submarines in the new first-person view and access every part of your U-boat
Interact with your crew, watch them perform their daily jobs and experience the tension and fear inside the U-boat through the new advanced order system
Choose your own strategy and select your targets with a new objective-driven, dynamic campaign
Open new locations, upgrades and resupply possibilities, while the Allied ships adjust dynamically to your approach. Your actions will directly impact the evolution of the campaign
Prowl the waters with user interface. Every beginner can successfully command a sub while remaining free of confusion. In expert mode, experienced players will be provided all the necessary information and controls to command the sub completely on their own
Operate authentic, highly detailed U-boats and fight against surface ships.

Now, this looks like some really interesting feature:
Your actions will directly impact the evolution of the campaign

Still no word about wolfpacks:hmmm:

Contact
08-17-09, 01:51 PM
Trailer is not bad but english voiceover ? in u-boat campaign ? Can't think of anything worse at the moment.

Sonarman
08-17-09, 01:54 PM
Perhaps we should have some sort of Subsim petition/pledge to buy to Ubisoft to create purchasable addons for both Wolfpacks and Controllable surface vessels, doing so at this early stage in SH5's development may be more successful than at the game's release when the team will probably already have been assigned to different projects.

dize
08-17-09, 01:55 PM
great! looks like a beefed up sh4 engine. thats fine with me, since i realy liked the way sh4 looked. that rpg element is welcome, and obviously amined at the casual gamer. the feature that strikes me the most is this:

• WAR STRATEGIES: Choose your own strategy and select your targets with a new objective-driven, dynamic campaign

can this include the dreaded uboat ai? finaly? pls pls pls pls with sugar on top.

conus00
08-17-09, 01:58 PM
I think Ubisoft should create a department and their sole job would be to extensively search here on subsim.com and listen to us. That would improve the game immensely.

Biggles
08-17-09, 02:01 PM
Looks fantastic and sounds great and all, but the trailer was abit cheesy:haha:

FIREWALL
08-17-09, 02:03 PM
I think Ubisoft should create a department and their sole job would be to extensively search here on subsim.com and listen to us. That would improve the game immensely.

One of our late modders (Dave) is in the SH4 Credits. :woot: :salute:

Contact
08-17-09, 02:05 PM

Yeah.. I'm with you man.. could not think of any bigger nonsence.

u-168
08-17-09, 02:05 PM
Nice i cannot wait but i spot a little bit of das boot in there :DL

U-168

Armistead
08-17-09, 02:06 PM
Look's great....C'mon, we all know there will be a Fleetboat add-on released about 6 months later for $10.00, probably already made.

Voice over......... Sound's like Tori's Spellings husband......

martes86
08-17-09, 02:08 PM
I must say, I'm nothing short of astonished. There was a massive jaw drop, I must confess. Ok, they got my expectations really high, I'm emotioned. Damn, I'm sold, lol. I just hope that what I saw in the trailer is on the level of what we're gonna get in the sim, and I hope they don't sacrifice parts of the simulation itself to put too much eyecandy, that they found a good balance.

And I love the detail they had of putting a forum section in Spanish, that's a point for Ubi.

Cheers

FIREWALL
08-17-09, 02:12 PM
Did anybody else notice the black guy on the uboat conning tower ?

Carotio
08-17-09, 02:25 PM
And according to Ubisoft tradition, each game in the SH installment hit the shelves in March. So, I'd guess it's set for release in March 2010.

My guess is the third week of March...

Anyway, though I'll buy it and play it, I would have preferred WW1 uboats...
As for the voices, well, maybe we'll get the German voices too. At least, I sure hope so...
As for the rest, well, we'll just have to wait and see what the next updates and trailers will contain...

And oh yeah, it's not more than a couple of days ago that I posted this, so any complaints, well, maybe you get your wishes granted one day too...
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1150905&postcount=13

Boris
08-17-09, 02:28 PM
Don't fret about the voices, I'm certain there will be German audio in game... check out the German trailer on the German site...

http://silent-hunter.de.ubi.com/silent-hunter-5/

mookiemookie
08-17-09, 02:29 PM
Perhaps we should have some sort of Subsim petition/pledge to buy to Ubisoft to create purchasable addons for both Wolfpacks and Controllable surface vessels, doing so at this early stage in SH5's development may be more successful than at the game's release when the team will probably already have been assigned to different projects.

I'd say it's waaaaaay too early to tell and we have no idea whether these things are definitely not in the game already.

LeafsFan
08-17-09, 02:33 PM
A campaign that your results affect will keep me from getting too excited by this release.

JMV
08-17-09, 02:36 PM
I bet you that 75 % of us will have to buy a new PC with top notch graphic card... Well, for those that will be able to afford it...

+ German U-Boat crew not having even the slightest german accent... It's starts badly. It's gonna be all eye candy probably, and will leave a heap of unsolved bugs... If only they could lean from SH3 and 4.

Thank you I stay with SH3. Can't buy a 3000 or 4000 Euro new PC anyway,
sniff... http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/47.gif

Contact
08-17-09, 02:37 PM
Don't fret about the voices, I'm certain there will be German audio in game... check out the German trailer on the German site...

http://silent-hunter.de.ubi.com/silent-hunter-5/

Thank you man for showing this!!! Now the trailer is right and very cool !!! :yeah:

conus00
08-17-09, 02:38 PM
Thank you man for showing this!!! Now the trailer is right and very cool !!! :yeah:
I agree, makes a hell of a difference!

JMV
08-17-09, 02:41 PM
That is much better, I had a fright...

Contact
08-17-09, 02:49 PM
Can't help falling in exitement trance it's like this trailer got a soul with German accent suddenly! Very nice! TOP 10 :yeah::rock::salute::cool::shucks::sunny:
In my favourites :yep:

TriskettheKid
08-17-09, 02:51 PM
AHHHHH!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

YES!

I cannot wait for SH5.

cjbeattie
08-17-09, 03:02 PM
i got the news via email i was shocked :)

something really to look forward too....

thanks subsim for sending me the news :DL

Pit
08-17-09, 03:04 PM
OOOOOOOOOO.... I Can't wait!!! Gotta pre order this one when it's available :yeah::woot:!!!

Seaman_Hornsby
08-17-09, 03:05 PM
Looks pretty intriguing to me. :up:

The General
08-17-09, 03:08 PM
The German Trailer plays much, much better. It gave me the jolt of excitement a new Silent Hunter title should.

That being said; SH5 was supposed to be written from scratch using all-new code. Close inspection of the trailer footage seems to feature a slightly enhanced SH4 engine (with dynamic-shadows finally enabled), which was in turn based on the SH3 engine. That code is atleast 6 years old and it's starting to show. I understand the economic reasons for this, but as we all know, SH4 was heavily flawed upon release and now resembles a battle-scarred warship limping back to Port after being patched at sea. The aircraft campaign model being one issue that has never been satisfactorily resolved (a hard-coded problem?), even by the extremely talented Modding Community.

However, this trailer may in fact be nothing more than a marketing tool utilising a jazzed-up version of SH4 just for promotion purposes. This trailer may even have been put together before any new code had been written.

Anxious to see more screen-shots of actual gameplay, rather than the full-motion video we'll all skip passed during the loading sequence.

[ISI]tshock9325
08-17-09, 03:11 PM
I kind of wish it was cold war but oh well, this looks like it will still be sick:DL

Tomcat84
08-17-09, 03:12 PM
Exciting news!

Am looking forward to it!

CybrSlydr
08-17-09, 03:13 PM
Downloading the trailer right now - got me all excited. :D

ST.Rage
08-17-09, 03:13 PM
YES!!!!! I can't wait!

Klaus_Doldinger
08-17-09, 03:16 PM
Wiating for it... Hope that it will not be "Bugs of the Atlantic" like SHIV was "bugs of the Pacific".

Ishigami
08-17-09, 03:19 PM
Very nice feature set and defiantly the scenario I like more.

The General
08-17-09, 03:20 PM
Frederf posted this on another thread discussing SH5:

Global scope

3000BC to 3000AD. Limiting the time via hard coding makes absolutely no sense. Let the campaigns determine the stop and start dates. Even if the base game is '41 to 45, having flexibility never hurts.
Every drop of water on the planet. Make allowances to map water environment for all points on the globe. The Arctic, Pacific, and Atlantic all look different so build your game to match. Use map "painting" techniques along with procedurally generated distance-offshore/depth algorithms to produce the sea color with blending for zone transitions.
Weather. Again manually "paint" the world with typical weather patterns for every month or season and let a blending happen so for a given location the probability values for weather would be averaged between the defined values at the adjacent time points. Implement a diurnal weather cycle as well.
Round Earth. The Earth is round in reality and thus it should be in the game. This makes 1:1 almanac values for the sun and moon much easier. Distances can match real life values. Develop point to point visual displays where you drag your course line out and it actually curves on the map due to the projection method. The local rendered attack "stage" might remain flat. Also nix all those pesky bugs when crossing the IDL.
Units. Don't assume anything about what units are going to be used in the game. Go ahead and program the game in meters and seconds but let the campaign and submarine configs define exactly what units are used. Seeing the map scale read weird numbers of nm because they are hardcoded to be round numbers of km (converted) is just shameful.

Submarine Systems

Failures and misalignments. Mechanical problems are some of the most significant and interesting issues faced by submarines. Lost an engine, mistakenly poured 1000 lbs of diesel over the side, SD radar out of commission for a day, periscope flooded. When you read patrol reports you get a feeling of how much of being a submariner was occupied and defined by this. Depth charging should have a tiny chance of death and a large chance of small failures.
Sound. The hydrophone and sonar stations are cartoons of their real life selves. Recreate the speed/noise penalty. Give tick noises to pings. Allow people to prop turn count. Make a random squeak in merchant propellers. Give frequency filter adjustments as well as a volume knob.
Radar. Similar upgrades here, range, miscalibration, proper output (range counter, A-scope knob), radar cross section, terrain reflection, other radar interference. Sensors that gives range and no bearing or bearing and no range or just presence should be easy.
Engines. Give advanced control over engines, edit what ahead std. 2/3rds, etc equate to, differential propulsion, which engines are online, which shafts are online, battery use on the surface. Go ahead and hide it from the new players and give an easy interface but control over the boat is just as important as flight controls in a flight sim.
Radio. Model encrypting/decrypting delays. Direction-finding for intercepting transmissions. Fix the simplistic system where you are playing stored audio files when you should be having realtime-tied reception. Load up on gramaphone records in base based on if it was available yet. Give volume, track, shuffle, etc commands for the radio and the gramaphone.
Periscope. Stadimeter both directions. Can only view when the eyepiece is reachable. Murky water. Light gatering difference based on apature.

Map and Navigation

Option for manual or navigation officer ownship plotting with uncertainty based on weather, submergence, sunrise, sunset.
Map marking expanded to draw various symbols (ship, ship sunk, airplane, etc), one of which has to be a current-timestamped "X."

TDC and Plotting

Make it a teamwork or crew affair. Have a dialogue box that can mark the attack plot (navmap tools) with a mark based on user/crew-generated bearing/range/time information.
Make sure any periscope-TDC ties are functioning.

Crew Function and Standard Operating Procedures
Replicate the function, limitations, and mistakes of their real life counterparts.
Have settable "alarms" for various crew like "Reduce TC to 1x and give alert when this tracked contact is at 270 bearing." or "Alert when warship contact closes to medium range." This is stuff you could say to a person and it would be easy.
Track any contact specified. Tracking should only update information that changes for brevity. Why would a sonarman tell me "Closing!" every time? Give any sensor the ability to track, radar, visual.
"Drills" during patrol like set up an SOP to ":00 90' dive, :10 ahead 1/3rd, :20 surface, raise radar antenna, radar 1 scan and off, 2:30 repeat" so I can do regular sonar dives on 3 hour intervals while on patrol for days on end without having to micromanage. Have a "Drills" page where you can drag various simple functions from a library together into long drills that can be executed 1 through infinity times when enacted. This would be powerful.

AVGWarhawk
08-17-09, 03:53 PM
I'm a Pacific fan but in the spirit of submarines in general I will purchase SH5. Looks like this could be a good one and enough to draw me back to the dreary impending Atlantic theater. Then again, it all depends if the motor men wear coconuts shells like a bra and dance for me:o :06::hmmm:

Blacklight
08-17-09, 03:54 PM
That thing looks like it would MELT my current computer. I can't even handle Silent Hunter 4 here. I won't be going there unless I manage to miraculously get enough cash to get a hot new gaming rig and I don't see that happening for QUITE a while.

I wonder if Ubi will actually release this one in a "finished" state.

conus00
08-17-09, 03:56 PM
Did you guys notice that there is no name yet? Just "Silent Hunter V".
Makes me wonder what's the official title gonna be?

badaboom
08-17-09, 04:05 PM
Fantastic News!!!
I'm in!!:D

Alex
08-17-09, 04:06 PM
I can't wait to see all my busy crew members going about their business. :arrgh!: :DL :yep: :|\\

Lt commander lare
08-17-09, 04:07 PM
back to the good ol days when i was ober lt lare dont worry guys this old sea dog is going to keep on fightin in the pacfic as well can wait for the release

lt commander lare

Melonfish
08-17-09, 04:09 PM
i like the internals n stuff but... i dunno something about this makes me afraid...
apart from the overly american voices on the trailer i liked the look of it, still has that cinimatic feel that SH4 has which isn't bad i guess but i dunno, i guess we'll suck it and see eh? i'm hoping for the full german sound option though, wouldn't be right with all american voices on a german sub no sir.

horrgakx
08-17-09, 04:12 PM
Trailer is a bit cliche American...

Jimbuna
08-17-09, 04:14 PM
I'm a Pacific fan but in the spirit of submarines in general I will purchase SH5. Looks like this could be a good one and enough to draw me back to the dreary impending Atlantic theater. Then again, it all depends if the motor men wear coconuts shells like a bra and dance for me:o :06::hmmm:

Spoken like a true RFB.....erm sub simmer fan :DL

I want the best of both worlds....a PTO addon 3 months or so after the original release :smug:

Kresge
08-17-09, 04:14 PM
A new Silent Hunter release is always something to look forward too!

Glad to see some of the old guys are still around (Steve pushing 20,000 posts!), but I'm already put off again by the noobs and their bitching about little details in a trailer for a game that is many, many months away from being released.

HanSolo78
08-17-09, 04:15 PM
Looks good until now.. the new interior life should improve immersion a lot.. graphics update looks ok.. some work for the special effects and the 3d models should be done. Lightning looks good. Now they should rework the AI and integrate WOLFPACKS!! Along with this, a nice and real harbour with bar and meeting point would make a really great new SH game.

keep on the hard work devs, listen to the community and have a look to the big mods from SH3 ;)

geosub1978
08-17-09, 04:17 PM
I have only one thing to tell:

I don't care about the trailer's impressions and also I don't care if SH5 is out in March or in June. I hope that it will be ready when it WILL BE ready and not just as early as possible like SH4.

Gairith
08-17-09, 04:18 PM
Will definitely have to surface for this one.

longam
08-17-09, 04:18 PM
Always room for a quad core from a duo upgrade, Woot, can't wait!

ST.Rage
08-17-09, 04:19 PM
A new Silent Hunter release is always something to look forward too!

Glad to see some of the old guys are still around (Steve pushing 20,000 posts!), but I'm already put off again by the noobs and their bitching about little details in a trailer for a game that is many, many months away from being released.

Amen to that, I have been lurking on subsim since 2001 same as you, I just don't usually post :)

I for one hope this crushes my machine, the more realistic it looks and runs the better imo.

BillyBubble
08-17-09, 04:25 PM
Thanks Neal !

http://members.chello.at/wannerer/imgs/icon_dj.gif

now if we will get even more moddable and sim content compared to SH3&4 ?!

:hmmm:

tater
08-17-09, 04:30 PM
Just u-boats?

Guess I wait for 6 or mods.

danurve
08-17-09, 04:32 PM
Just watched the trailer for the first time, after getting the e-mail :salute:

I'm hard.

Wulfmann
08-17-09, 04:32 PM
:yeah:Phantastisch!!!:yeah:

While I am sure we will all desire this ASAP i would suggest most here would rather a tested bug free version be released a little later--Please:salute:

Wulfmann

stinger503
08-17-09, 04:33 PM
Can't wait, hopefully it delivers :up:

Mush Martin
08-17-09, 04:34 PM
Yeah:salute:

I cant wait for the fleetboat expansion.:rotfl:

Oberon
08-17-09, 04:34 PM
w00t :rock:

SubConscious
08-17-09, 04:43 PM
That is all kinds of shades of awesome. Thank you for posting this - you made my day!!

j_o_nn_y
08-17-09, 04:44 PM
Great News!.:DL. Cant wait for this to come out. Hopefully bug free and much better graphics than SH4.

Konovalov
08-17-09, 04:45 PM
Broke my hand so all I'm going to say is grest news. :yeah::yeah:

piri_reis
08-17-09, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up Neal ! Haven't been here for a while, so this is very exciting news indeed. The trailer is just a peak, it's not clear which parts are in the real game or not, so I just enjoyed watching it. Now I'm gonna have to load up the good ol' GWX and go hunting for sure !

tiger shark
08-17-09, 04:47 PM
Looks great cant wait for it!!
I am a Pacific fan but this is great!!!
Das Boot 4ever!

Shigawire
08-17-09, 04:48 PM
Wow.. just wow.. :)

I'd love to have this kind of immersion in pirate games too.. :P

I've bought SH3, SH4.. will buy this one too!

cgjimeneza
08-17-09, 04:48 PM
detailed interiors?

did the kidnap Tomi.

early 2010, that means we will be able to play a stable one in mid 2011.

still... worth the investment and a lot cheaper than hitting the bar two-three nights a week.

of course, it will mean a new rig but no one will complain.

Greentimbers
08-17-09, 04:52 PM
S!

Great news, and I just upgraded my rig so I can run Rise of Flight:arrgh!:

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Quad Core 3.0
8GB Dual channel DDR 800
Asus SLI MB
2 x 9800 GT (SLI)
Vista Ultimate 64

I hope this will be enough, really don't want to upgrade again so soon. We shall see I guess.

Biggs[CV]
08-17-09, 04:52 PM
Awesome news. Spring '10 gives UBI time to get the kinks out and time for us to do some computer upgrades. :salute:

biosthetique
08-17-09, 04:53 PM
Thank you for posting it...Good news!

irish1958
08-17-09, 04:53 PM
I would opt for less emphasis on sub interior and a surface force (playable convoys and escorts) to really make the game interesting.
There would really be a reason for multiplayer then.
I'll buy and play it; I hope that there are a bunch of (fixable) bugs for our modelers.
Speech comes to mind immediately.:arrgh!:

tater
08-17-09, 04:55 PM
I've been watching tomi's posts of interiors for a while, and I have to say that loads of interiors don't do much for me from a gameplay POV.

They are wonderful to look at ( <S> Tomi ), don't get me wrong, and I cannot fault a modder for making them—that's an avocation, a labor of love, and you do it for yourself as much as anything.

For a VOCATION, however, spending time/money to model interiors in lieu of TARGETS seems like a bad choice. A salaried modeler could likely make a target ship for every single interior room modeled. Maybe more per room (certainly more than 1 ship per room at Tomi quality, lol)

So if there are 4 subs with unique interiors, they could have added XX more targets.

tiger shark
08-17-09, 04:55 PM
dont worry about the hardware i am sure that it will
work just fine on 2GB RAM,any 512mb graphic card
and any dual core processor,unless it is not bad coded.I have ati 4850 and it runs any
game at high details(exept crysis and gta4)

mapuc
08-17-09, 04:58 PM
I can asure you, that this SHV, will almost be the only subject, we will discuss, when we meet in Copenhagen.

Or??

Markus

Morpheus
08-17-09, 04:58 PM
Yesss!!! Yesss!!! Yesss!!!

Cant wait to have it!!!

I need to take vacation when it's published ...

I need to send my wife to somewhere when it's published ...

Maybe i need to get a new Graphiccard when it's published ...

It can come :yep:

scrapser
08-17-09, 05:02 PM
I honestly don't know what to make of the trailer but if I were to make a guess, I would say UBISoft is starting a new franchise. Call it...

"Silent Hunter V: The FPS"

Having a first person perspective is a great idea but I have this gut feeling it will come at a perhaps not so welcome cost. On the other hand, if it turns out to be a winner all I can say is I can't wait for Silent Hunter 6 because it would simply be cruel to put out something successful and revolutionary and leave out the US Silent Service.

Kamikaze Krazy
08-17-09, 05:03 PM
Guys, this is just awesome! I can't wait either for this!:D While I agree that the trailer was kind of... peachy, I would most likely to see if I can figure out what the system requirements are for the game. After all, no point in getting the game if I can't run it. :((worried)

I hope to God I can because this so beautiful!:yeah::salute:

How about having technological notifications for SH5? It gets annoying to have to look at the "upgrade" screen so often. If there is a new part you can add to your sub like a "Mine Hunting Sonar", and it was developed... let's say in mid 1943, then it would tell you by a pop-up box within the "upgrades" screen.

Or for a more of a twist, you could develop the parts at the expense of your renown.:DL For example, for the German G7e homing torpedo, it might cost 200 renown and maybe it would take like two "missions" to complete the research, yet use an highly accurate historical time table as mentioned above.

What do you folks think?:hmmm:

Ragtag
08-17-09, 05:04 PM
Holy smoke. I can't wait. Finally a complete submarine not just few compartments. New features sounds really exciting :D
Awesome news.

EAST
08-17-09, 05:06 PM
I'll enjoy looking at and playing this one.

tater
08-17-09, 05:07 PM
The FPS stuff looks pretty, but how many phrases, etc will they need to have so that you don't have the same (or even different) guys saying the same stuff every 3d time you walk past?

That's the trouble with the total interiors. One, there is little to DO in the interior, and two, the more time you spend, the more you'll notice the same offer of chow, or a hand in the poker game, etc. It makes it really tough, IMO. Expect multi-gig mods to add more chatter :)

oscar19681
08-17-09, 05:10 PM
I,m sorry but the trailer looked totally cheezy. But i understand the point there trying to make though. I just dont hope we get only one u-boat type to choose from this time , Something tells me we will but i could be wrong.
* give us an interactive bar for in port! Doesnt have to be anything real sophisticated or anything just so i can hang around the bar and interact with other crews
getting drunk before and after every patrol.
* we should have pennant flags and the ablilaty to have the crew standing on deck when returing to port.
* random malfunctions to systems in the u-boat would make in much more interesting. I mean when i take the boat for a test dive when i,m out of port i do it to
make sure everything works as it should! If im sure there is never a malfunction this isnt fun to do anymore after a while.
* How about adding some life to the oceans as well? I mean i understand a u-boats doesnt exacly attract huge amount of fish or anything but a fish or a dophin
every once in a while would look much more cooler
* Give us some true multiplayer , i mean seriously multiplayer in sh-3 and sh-4 is totally dead and never was very apealling. Give us a destoyer to hunt down those
boys below! And give us the chance to have multiple players in the same u-boat! This would totally rock with the new all 3-d interieur!

TopcatWA
08-17-09, 05:13 PM
Looks good. I hope they release it without any bugs like previous editions!!!!!

Pdubya
08-17-09, 05:14 PM
I can't help but wonder if Ubisoft has taken all the lessons learned over these last- what, four years, to heart?

In other words... were and are they really paying attention to the things that kept SH3 from being a top-notch subsim?

So far it looks great! Can't wait for them to toss us some more bones. :D

Pdubya

henriksultan
08-17-09, 05:15 PM
Nice! Lost interest in silent hunter 4 for some reason, it just didn't do it for me (still playing silent hunter 3 do) but this sounds really interesting :D

So much greatness coming in 2010, man that will be a awesome year :yeah:

Deputy
08-17-09, 05:16 PM
Well I am kinda lukewarm on this. I know it will probably be bug-ridden and need tons of fixes. That's to be expected of any release nowadays. I'm just not sure the new "features" will make it worth buying. As others have said...how many times can a guy offer you soup before you get tired of it and tell him where to stick the spoon? :haha:
This new release may be nice for those who don't already have SH3 or can't find it to buy, but I question just how much can be added that hasn't already been done in SH3 by modders? Running around below decks wears off pretty quickly. And I agree that speech should be in German with English subtitles. Makes it more believeable. I took a "wait and see" stance with SH4. I'll do the same thing with SH5.

Dep

ElAurens
08-17-09, 05:16 PM
*YAWN*

Color me jaded.

More U-Boats, more boring done a thousand times till I'm sick of them U-Boats.

There was so much left untouched in the Pacific.

And yet we go back to the Atlantic again.

:damn:

I'll pass on this one.

Akula4745
08-17-09, 05:17 PM
First thing I thought of was the GWX crew and all the hard work they have done for SH4... I feel their pain. Hopefully some of their work and ideas will be incorporated into SH5.

Of course I will buy it. One can never own too many good games...

maerean_m
08-17-09, 05:18 PM
dont worry about the hardware i am sure that it will work just fine on 2GB RAM,any 512mb graphic card and any dual core processor,unless it is not bad coded.I have ati 4850 and it runs any game at high details(exept crysis and gta4)
Indeed. :up:

Kptlt_Lynch
08-17-09, 05:19 PM
I'm feelin the love!

Mud
08-17-09, 05:21 PM
At last a game to look out for and feeling like a little kid again :yeah:

cheers :rock:

el_Salmon
08-17-09, 05:23 PM
It looks great! I hope that the price will be under 20€

Wulfmann
08-17-09, 05:27 PM
I would be delighted if a 3.0GHZ dual core, 4GB RAM and 2GB of video card was required to run SH5 or more.

The more required the better the detail, the less required the weaker the graphics so make us all build a new rig, that would suit me just fine by me.

Quality uber Alles!!!:rock:

Wulfmann

Carotio
08-17-09, 05:28 PM
Yeah:salute:

I cant wait for the fleetboat expansion.:rotfl:

The expansion will contain the narwhal and a cold war sub.... :03:

kstanb
08-17-09, 05:42 PM
I hope they include wolfpacks

Spyguy101
08-17-09, 05:46 PM
Long awaited and worth waiting
HAPPY HUNTING

tater
08-17-09, 05:47 PM
I hope they include wolfpacks

It would be pretty funny if they added all the semi-useless interior stuff and didn't have surface combatants capable of using torpedos, as well as cooperating friendly subs—and enemy subs.

They had to add fully AI (working) subs. They had to.

kstanb
08-17-09, 05:57 PM
It would be pretty funny if they added all the semi-useless interior stuff and didn't have surface combatants capable of using torpedos, as well as cooperating friendly subs—and enemy subs.

They had to add fully AI (working) subs. They had to.

I hope so, wolfpacks might not be something that casual players might look for/ understand. Nice graphics, big explosions in the other hand are a sure hit at retail stores

Telgriff
08-17-09, 06:01 PM
This has a lot of potential but also a frightening possibility of being a major let down. Here's hoping it doesnt go the path of 'pretty' over quality..

SHIII, SHIV and soon SHV... so far, GWX still blows them out of the water..

NOTE TO UBISOFT: If you make it mainstream, it will fail. This is a Sim, dont ruin it by making it look nice without adding functionality.

DedEye
08-17-09, 06:05 PM
YES!!!!!

:rock:

tater
08-17-09, 06:05 PM
Modded SH4 is great.

Both PTO and ATO need wolfpacks (smaller, different doctrine in PTO, but similar). ATO without wolfpacks is not much of an ATO simulator, frankly.

How about AI improvements? Zig-zagging. REAL zig-zagging is required. Who cares about being offered soup if targets don't behave like real targets?

I mean real, complex ZZ patterns on realistically short timescales, not /\/\/\/\/\/

Proper depth keeping issues, too. And currents. All that trumps interior eye-candy, IMO. By a wide margin.

Falkirion
08-17-09, 06:18 PM
Now I only hope that they dont rush this release and take their time to do it right.

Looking forward to getting behind the controls of a U-Boat. Never had the pelasure of sailing a German sub in the atlantic. All my experience is from the Pacific theatre

greyrider
08-17-09, 06:20 PM
just got the email from neal announcing sh5,

and all ive got to say is to ubi is thanks but no thanks, i wont be buying it.
if they cant make a u s fleetboat sh5, theres nothing in sh5 for me, very tired of nazi u-boats.

not interested at all

so guess ill wait for sh6.

SteamWake
08-17-09, 06:22 PM
This first person impression is good to me. But Id like to see how you actually interact...

I mean in the trailer her Kapitan is chiding "Deeper dammit" while that is dramatic I am left wondering how that command was issued.

I'm a little concearned of 'personal' interactions suffer from the Oblivion syndrom. Like after the 100th time the cook offers you a taste it gets a little old.

Mudcrabs, nasty creatures... :rotfl:

Trool323
08-17-09, 06:23 PM
Awesome :rock: I can't wait but a new silent hunter is allways on the brink of tech. I know I'll have to have a duel core with 2 gig of ram at least probably to run this game, and a quad core with 4 gig of ram to run it smooth as ice. But either way I can't wait. I remember being excited about the first silent hunter back in 1996 I was 14...:)

Letum
08-17-09, 06:24 PM
Woo! YaY! Hollupa and most defiantly Panowie!

Annatar
08-17-09, 06:34 PM
Just give me Wolfpacks.
You give me wolfpacks and you get a sale.
You don't? You don't.

tiger shark
08-17-09, 06:37 PM
No matter what you say I think that eye-candy is still a important part of the game,realism is much more important no doubt about it,but I just cant play a game
with ****ty graphics anymore,it is not just SH series.
And i think that more detailed sub interiors are important.
I always wanted to be able to actually walk inside a sub,
and I am sure that those compartmants of the sub wont be just eye candy but you will have reason to go into them.
And when you are playing with no external view you are actually spending a lot of time in the control room(in MP also).Someone said that it will be boring over time.Hey!all things get boring over time,and I can still say that I am not bored with SH4 interiors one bit,but i just keep asking what is behind that door that i cant open.Now this all may sonud like I am some console kid who just likes shiny graphic,but dont get fooled i want this to be realistic as possible."experience the tension and fear inside the U-boat through the new advanced order system."New advanced order system,to me it looks like we will be busy!

SinisterDexter
08-17-09, 06:42 PM
Yay! something to look forward to! Seems like there's been a lack of new titles that interest me, lately...

i hope there will be full german audio

I would like German speech/audio as an option, especially if they provide subtitles.:up: My German is very rusty.

tiger shark
08-17-09, 06:43 PM
I am sure that in the worst case game will be better than SH4,exept that i prefer fleet boats(tired of uboats but still exited)

ivank
08-17-09, 06:43 PM

Maybe we at the Surface Warfare Super-Mod team can do this.

jdski
08-17-09, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the email. I'm excited about this. It looks like SH is moving towards what I've always dreamed about. Hopefully it will have many detailed interactive features.

FADM Gryphon
08-17-09, 06:48 PM
I guess I better start learning my German then.

ivank
08-17-09, 06:50 PM
maybe I misread something, but I think I saw it say that the games puts you in control of an u-boot during famous battles. Does that mean like we jump from famous uboot actions. And not like a SH3 and SH4 career.

tiger shark
08-17-09, 06:53 PM
maybe I misread something, but I think I saw it say that the games puts you in control of an u-boot during famous battles. Does that mean like we jump from famous uboot actions. And not like a SH3 and SH4 career.

WAR STRATEGIES: Choose your own strategy and select your targets with a new objective-driven, dynamic campaign.It says dynamic campagin!

Beery
08-17-09, 06:53 PM
Mouth... watering. Must... have... Silent Hunter 5!

Looks like this will be the game that's going to make me buy that new computer!

It'll be good to put on my Kapitaen-Leutnant's cap once again and set out into the Atlantic on the hunt for fette beute. I can't wait!

Nuc
08-17-09, 07:02 PM
First thing I thought of was the GWX crew and all the hard work they have done for SH4... I feel their pain. Hopefully some of their work and ideas will be incorporated into SH5.

On the bright side, the development of TMO, RFB, RSRD, FOTRS et.al. can continue at whatever pace those modders want, to provide great game play to the PTO fans.

GSpector
08-17-09, 07:04 PM
Well, it would have been nice to be able to choose sides, but from what I've read, all I can say is save a place for me in line.

One suggestion I wish I could give them is, since you get to experience the full carrier in the campaign, it would be great if they could add more awards than just the same medals as the last one and dealing with German Awards is easy, they dealt with a point system, unlike the U.S. and a point system works perfectly with any combat sim. That's how MicroProse did it and they did it better than anyone. I miss MicroProse:cry:.

From what I can tell, it looks like you get to see the view from just the Captains view. It would be nice to see something like B-17 II: The Mighty eighth style where you can control any single character and if Wolfpacks could be added, jump from Sub to Sub and control each of them.

Just some suggestions I wish I could have been able to send UBISoft.:D

I'll still wait for this one, regardless.:salute:

Chad
08-17-09, 07:06 PM
For those of you who are upset that it's not US Boats, please remember, that sub simulations are a dime a dozen. Sure, this time around it's U-boats, but, in order for there to be even a Silent Hunter 6, Silent Hunter 5 must sell, and sell well.

Support the future the developers and the community by purchasing 5. Show UbiSoft and the world that Sub Simmers are not dead, and will support all new developments in the future. That way they will keep developing Sub sims and you'll eventually get what your asking :yeah:

badaboom
08-17-09, 07:10 PM
I'm really happy to see something on the horizon,something to look forward to nxt yr:DL

mookiemookie
08-17-09, 07:14 PM
This first person impression is good to me. But Id like to see how you actually interact...

I mean in the trailer her Kapitan is chiding "Deeper dammit" while that is dramatic I am left wondering how that command was issued.

I'm a little concearned of 'personal' interactions suffer from the Oblivion syndrom. Like after the 100th time the cook offers you a taste it gets a little old.

Mudcrabs, nasty creatures... :rotfl:

I wonder how much of that is actual in-game stuff, and how much of it is cinematic (remember the opening convoy attack scene in SH3?)

"Outlander...WHAT do you want?"

Subnuts
08-17-09, 07:16 PM
It's way too early to tell right now, but my feelings are mixed right now. The trailer is incredibly dodgy - it actually managed to crush my initial excitement. The graphics? Well, they're obviously unfinished, but the crew still look like glossy superman. Can't judge yet. As for the first-person walkthrough? Could care less. If I wanted to study the interior of a U-boat, I'd just go online and "tour" U-995, U-505, and U-2540, read U-boat War or U-boat War Patrol, or watch Das Boot again.

Mouth-foaming revisionism about the Pacific theater aside, the real problem with SHIV is the horribly counter-intuitive interface and the number of fist-pounding bugs remain in even the most recent patch. I hoped Ubi has learned from their past mistakes, but I expect the release date to be pushed back a few months. I also expect that mod-makers will have a field day with this one. Five years from now, we'll have forgotten how flawed the sim was when it was released (and it certainly will be, going by Ubi's past record), and view SH5 through heavily-modded, rose-tinted glasses.

Beery
08-17-09, 07:18 PM
For those who are unhappy that it's not a US sub sim, since SH3, US subs get the even numbered Silent Hunters. It's the Germans' turn. If SH5 does well, SH6 will be for US subs. Meanwhile, SH4 is still a great sim.

For those who want Cold War or anything else, that's not what the Silent Hunter series does. SH is all about WW2.

UberTorpedo
08-17-09, 07:20 PM
Gentlemen...

(OLC, Kpt. Lehmann, Jscones, Mikhayl, iambecomelife, Venatore, et al.)

Start your engines!!!

Antiacus
08-17-09, 07:22 PM
Very Excited

Hoping for improved crew management, damage model, and RPG elements.

aanker
08-17-09, 07:27 PM
I'm pleased for all you ATO captains, and BZ to UBI for making another sub sim!

Happy Hunting!

Art

PS: I'll be waiting for the PTO "add-on" ......... lol

Beery
08-17-09, 07:28 PM
Let's hope the damage model is a bit more adjustable than it was in previous U-boat versions. We never quite got SH3 to reproduce historically viable casualty rates.

Ditto the sub visibility model, which was way too deadly - surface attacks from inside a convoy (which were done in reality) were impossible in the game.

pythos
08-17-09, 07:30 PM
I just watched the trailer for a game that is not to be released for some time.

Now I read the comments.

OMG people, can you not see how incredible this is as is?

For crying out loud you are ON a boat, you interact with actual crew!!!

What are people griping about "oh, the models look like SH4s. Oh the voices are American" Give me a break. For the love of Pete. I DON'T want model improvements if it detracts from them getting the game play, and the ambitious 1st person view, and old bugs correct. The models themselves can be worked on easily if need be. But the interior needs to be great looking and not be graphics intensive.

I do hope there is a full campaign, and all the other things we love from the other incarnations, and yes GET WOLF PACKS.

But people, don't gripe about stuff that is inconsequential at the moment.

I want this to be the best subsim out there. I want this to shelve all incarnations of SH.

I want this to be THE game of the year.

Beery
08-17-09, 07:32 PM
Yeah, but wanting it to be good doesn't guarantee it will be good. The only way to get potential problems addressed is to criticize. The more criticism, and the more the criticisms are addressed, the better the game will be. Hope and optimism never made a game any better.

Frederf
08-17-09, 07:34 PM
*watches trailer*
What the heck was that!?!?

AVGWarhawk
08-17-09, 07:38 PM
Spoken like a true RFB.....erm sub simmer fan :DL

I want the best of both worlds....a PTO addon 3 months or so after the original release :smug:

It is all about the coconut bras Jim:O:

tiger shark
08-17-09, 07:40 PM
I just watched the trailer for a game that is not to be released for some time.

Now I read the comments.

OMG people, can you not see how incredible this is as is?

For crying out loud you are ON a boat, you interact with actual crew!!!

What are people griping about "oh, the models look like SH4s. Oh the voices are American" Give me a break. For the love of Pete. I DON'T want model improvements if it detracts from them getting the game play, and the ambitious 1st person view, and old bugs correct. The models themselves can be worked on easily if need be. But the interior needs to be great looking and not be graphics intensive.

I do hope there is a full campaign, and all the other things we love from the other incarnations, and yes GET WOLF PACKS.

But people, don't gripe about stuff that is inconsequential at the moment.

I want this to be the best subsim out there. I want this to shelve all incarnations of SH.

I want this to be THE game of the year.

I couldn't say this better myself.We should be happy
that we are actually getting a new sub sim.It is not FPS so we can say oh it is just another FPS.There is no many sub sims and we should be greatful for this.Ubi could stop SH series,and over the years we would get so bored with SH4 and SH3 that we wouldnt want to play them anymore,and there is too many critics. This is just a trailer it doesnt mean anything,it is just like SH3,4 intro movies.

DJSatane
08-17-09, 07:40 PM
Hopefully this time around they will care more about multiplayer performance and bugs. With Silent Hunter 3 they never fixed few of the game breaking bugs that plagued multiplayer.

To refresh some multiplayer bugs from sh3:

CLIENTS IN MULTIPLAYER RECEIVE DAMAGE IMPROPERLY/FAST CLIENT DEATH BUG
Clients in multiplayerr eceive damage from depth charges improperly, this often will cause
instant death or hull remain at 100% yet critical compartment damage.

This have been confirmed now with large number of players and multiplayer sessions,
basically damage infliction on clients in multiplayer is totally broken. Clients will
receive damage in 1 of 2 ways, both are incorrrect:

I - Depth Charges near the sub, even up to ranges of 50 meters will instantly cause hull to
go from 100 to 20% or less and often instant death, while if you play single player or
as host, you will receive appropiate damage in same situation.

II - Depth Charges near the sub, even up to ranges of 50 meters will cause serious
compartment damage but hull will remain at 100% even if half the compartments have
"red" damage and you are about to die. This does not seem occur when you are host or
in single player.

This makes multiplayer very bad experience mostly for clients, this bug have been tested
and observed for over a month and 80 hours of multiplayer gameplay with large number of
different players.

All in all I am glad they back to german ww2 theater side of the war and uboats, hopefully they make this game as good as sh3 was but with better graphics and much better multiplayer experience.

Pioneer
08-17-09, 07:43 PM
Just a side note re this thread.

7 pages, 7 hours.

A record Neal?

IrishUboot
08-17-09, 07:48 PM
MEIN GOTT! :o

GSpector
08-17-09, 07:53 PM
I do hope this will have a strong single-player campaign. I've never been to fond of multi-player games (sorry to those that drool over them).

Elder-Pirate
08-17-09, 08:00 PM
In the closet setting on the shelf in their respective boxes: one new BFG Ge Force 9600 OCE 512MB graphic card, one new ASUS M3N78 PRO motherboard, one new AMD Phenom X4 9500 2.2 GHZ processor, 4 GB Crucial DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM.
( Will be XP NOT Vista! )

Have been to lazy to do the switch but NOW I'm going to get off my duff and gear up for SHV.

Sniff, sniff, I'm gonna miss the old girl, WAH http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/crytime-1.gif

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/ussdrumwithnewskin.jpg

rsvette12
08-17-09, 08:01 PM
Awesome stuff, can't wait just luv eye candy :yeah: :up:

Rich

Reece
08-17-09, 08:02 PM
Hurry up 2010!!!:yeah:
I would have had the watch crew shot, must have all been drunk!!!:yep:

Highbury
08-17-09, 08:05 PM
Awesome! Simply Awesome!

I know some of you are unhappy it is the Atlantic again, but some of us felt that way about SH4 going back to the Pacific. Can't ever make everyone happy. Hopefully they will release an add-on for Fleet Boats that is a little more comprehensive then the U-Boat add-on was for SH4. I can see such an add-on being Fleet Boat Atlantic ops, which I think would be a welcome change.

The thing I like about the U-Boats is the odds being stacked against you more and more as the war goes on, until survival in the later patrols becomes more of a concern then tonnage! I just don't get that in the Pacific.

Can't wait for this!
:arrgh!:

ETR3(SS)
08-17-09, 08:29 PM
For those who are unhappy that it's not a US sub sim, since SH3, US subs get the even numbered Silent Hunters. It's the Germans' turn. If SH5 does well, SH6 will be for US subs. Meanwhile, SH4 is still a great sim.

For those who want Cold War or anything else, that's not what the Silent Hunter series does. SH is all about WW2. SH1: Pac
SH2: Lant
SH3: Lant
SH4: Pac/Lant
SH5: Lant

I'd say it's more whatever ubisoft fancies at the moment as to what the series will be. :03: So far as the cold war, being a bit biased myself with the 688i mod, a cold warish era sub sim would be a welcome replacement for Sub Command I believe. But as far as this latest installment goes...time will tell, sooner or later time will tell...

Falkirion
08-17-09, 08:30 PM
SH1: Pac
time will tell, sooner or later time will tell...

I'll be damned if any RTS player doesn't recognize that quote. Red Alert 1. Good times

Myxale
08-17-09, 08:30 PM
:rock::rock::rock:
OMG Please!

Make it right UBI!!!!!

rsvette12
08-17-09, 08:31 PM
How about some silent hunter 5 wallpapers :up:

http://www.bluesnews.com/screenshots/games/sh5/20090817a/

Enjoy

Rich

ETR3(SS)
08-17-09, 08:33 PM
I'll be damned if any RTS player doesn't recognize that quote. Red Alert 1. Good times
The good ol' days mate. I still got my copy of it to. Got my modding start in RA. :yeah:

loreed
08-17-09, 08:36 PM
Outstanding! I am going to need a new graphic card!:yeah:

Taskforce1x1
08-17-09, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the notification!. I cant wait! AWSOME!

orbiter28
08-17-09, 09:00 PM
It's impressive. Very, it will be hard to way :)
But i prefer way and have a exelent game.

It's very eye candy, but very interessing, it will be immersive when taking damage.
The realistic damage model have an exelent game play : you are afraid and stressed beaucause equipement taking damage by long range deph charge, but the hull is very strong.
I had an experience : my battery are destroyed, my sub on the ground a 157m, a little as das boot in gibraltar, it's just the end. But after 2 hour 15 of attacking, the ennemy fleet go out. Exelent experience, immersive history and gameplay.
"We are down kalleum, but we don't surender !" :salute:
What ? they go out ? Yes ! :up:

So now i pray : SH5 will be just eye candy with realistic damage and sensor as like the history, or not ? :06:

Mopy
08-17-09, 09:11 PM
Excellent news. I'm glad that there will be no more staring at closed/locked hatches. I'm glad we're back in the Atlantic also. I shall be buying this and hoping that the realism settings are well scalable.

GoldenRivet
08-17-09, 09:12 PM
been at work all day until now... couldnt wait to get on and comment.

great trailer.

if they can make all the interior accessible... and make all the crewmen with the subtle interactions even remotely close to those in the video... we will have a trend setting masterpiece in the simulation genre.

i have a new reason to live to see "early 2010" :D

i have a new reason to stash $60 - $75 in a coffee can under the bed :haha:

JHuschke
08-17-09, 09:12 PM
Someone help me..I can't live that long knowing there will be a Silent Hunter 5.. :o

abclkhan
08-17-09, 09:26 PM
We should press TIME ACCELERATION...!!

Graafenstein
08-17-09, 09:31 PM
Great news! This sure is a must! :yeah:

mookiemookie
08-17-09, 09:58 PM
Someone help me..I can't live that long knowing there will be a Silent Hunter 5.. :o

I'm betting that GWX 4 will be out before SH5, so that will help tide us over. :D

IrishUboot
08-17-09, 10:01 PM
I think today's news has just made my decision on a new gaming rig.

Back to the Atlantic! :up:

Valiant
08-17-09, 10:06 PM
I sure hope this one runs on my Laptop, or I may have to buy a new one.

bookworm_020
08-17-09, 10:07 PM
Looks good, but Will there be wolfpacks?? I don't want to be sailing all alone:cry:

Time to upgrade the computer again... Might be easier to buy a new one!

Officerpuppy
08-17-09, 10:16 PM
The first person prespective is deffintely something new and pretty awesome. I wonder how many subs will have fully moddled interiors though.

Given that you'll be with the same crew for months at a time, I'd love to see the men be given real personalities and people you'll come to grow close with and mourn when they die. As opposed to a crew who will say the same five or six things when you look at them and when they die they just get dragged to some corner while everyone else plays cards next to them as if nothing happend.

I can't wait to see how this game develops!

And many thanks to the handy subsim email system! Otherwise I might of never known stopped and by this part of the forum :haha:

prowler3
SH3 and GWX3.0 both have their moments of "stuttering", for me, in port, as it is...and I'm not flying an old system. I will have to wait and see the "proposed" system specs before I get TOO excited...and add a bunch to that as it's usually minimum! Will it be Windows7? Will it be 64bit...one would imagine. Many questions yet but...I am "all ears" for more news. :hmmm:

ASUS Rampage Extreme x48
Intel C2Q 9650 3.0ghz
4gb OCZ RAM
BFG GTX260, 896mb
(C:720, S:1480, M:1220, mhz)
SoundMAX X-fi
ASUS VW266H lcd flat panel

tonschk
:woot::yeah: Unbeliveable Incredible , I am very very happy , :woot: :yeah::salute:

Reaves
08-17-09, 10:22 PM
Great news about viewing all of the sub. Hopefully some interesting things to do while traveling to a destination.

I wonder what type of interaction with the crew this will include.

tater
08-17-09, 10:25 PM
Regarding multiplay: it would be cool to have "join on the fly" coop multiplay.

The host player controls time compression—which is available.

The joining player can either control an AI boat in a pack, OR he could play an officer on the host player's sub.

Imagine you are skipper, and the plotter is another player. Or you are below, and another player has the watch on deck, etc.

The multiplayer paradigm deserves a shift...

Joe S
08-17-09, 10:29 PM
All of you U-boat fans who cant wait for this to come out, take a deep breath and relax. I too am a U-boat fan and would like to see an improved u-boat sim. However, for all the eye candy and fanfare that we have seen with the latest sub sims, each has had its glaring weaknesses, and to date, no one has put together a subsim that actually built on all the good things from prior sims. For example, in the stock SHIV, you cant even get the range at current speed like you can in SHIII. (I think you can in ver 1.5 but I dont have 1.5) You cant write on the map in SHIII or IV like you could in SHII. Its like each design team refuses to do anythign that wasnt their idea and wants to wow the crowd with eye candy at the expense of gameplay. The gameplay in Sub Battle Simulator was WAY better than AOD,and SHI through 4 and all the rest, even though sound effects were non-existent and graphics were downright crude. Then there are the bugs , and endless patches, if you are lucky enough to get patches. Not to mention the countless delays. Your tongue will be hanging out in April waiting for word as to the release, then in June comes the announcement that it will be out in the fourth quarter, then at Christmas time you find out it wont be out till 2 quarter of 2011, and on and on and on until it finally does come out and you hope it actually does half what it is advertized to do. Then you find out it doesnt work too well on your system so Off you go to the computer store to upgrade and the next thing you know, $2,000 later, for some reason it still doesnt like to work on YOUR computer.

So take it from someone who has been though this many times before. Take a deep breath, relax, follow the progress of the project, and wait until it comes out and a bunch of people have tried and find out if its any good. Then wait about 60 days and get it for half price. By then the "Gold' or "commander" edition will be out and available on e-bay for $19.95 with all the patches and upgrades that should have been in it when it was released at $50 or whatever they will try to get for it. In the meantime, make do with what you have and sink as many ships as you can and have fun. dont waste your time in anticipation of something that might not be as good as what you already have. Joe S

scrag
08-17-09, 10:46 PM
Okay now lose the cheesy voice overs and get a real U-Boat Alarm. (I know it is a ways from release yet - at least they are doing something in a positive direction.

Kaptan Tommy
08-17-09, 11:01 PM
I'm thrilled to see a new sub-sim, especially a German sim (since I've never gone beyond SH3), but I'm a bit hesitant, just like many others of you. I can't wait to see it, and I'm NOT going to be the first on my block...:damn:

FIREWALL
08-17-09, 11:19 PM
Anybody got a guess on the price of this thing ? :hmmm:

yllekm
08-17-09, 11:37 PM
AWESOME!!! :yeah:

Now someone please tell me we will get sub tenders with this version so that we can rearm/refuel at sea (albeit "milchcows" for German U-Boats - see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Type_XIV_submarine).

Agiel7
08-17-09, 11:49 PM
Can anyone imagine the GWX 4 team letting off a collective Homer Simpson-style "Doh!" after this announcement.

Actually, given the team's pedigree, it would have been a cool idea if the Ubisoft Romania team signed on the GWX guys onto this project.

HMCS
08-18-09, 12:01 AM
Here's hoping that Rudeltaktik will be simulated. Among other things.

We can only hope that realism will win over the impetus toward arcade-style action. And here's hoping that it won't be buggy.

Hoping.

cappy70
08-18-09, 12:21 AM
:arrgh!: Been playing SH3 GWX 3.0 now for awhile ( and SH4 Uboat missions after erasing:rotfl: my online bought copy of Uboatmissions by accident:up:) and now SH5.......
Of course there will be patches,,of course there will be a glitch here and there,,BUT SH5 is on it's way, live.:rock:

kiwi_2005
08-18-09, 12:33 AM
:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Highbury
08-18-09, 12:37 AM
SH1: Pac
SH2: Lant
SH3: Lant
SH4: Pac/Lant
SH5: Lant

I'd say it's more whatever ubisoft fancies at the moment as to what the series will be. :03: So far as the cold war, being a bit biased myself with the 688i mod, a cold warish era sub sim would be a welcome replacement for Sub Command I believe. But as far as this latest installment goes...time will tell, sooner or later time will tell...

SH4 was never Atlantic, it was only modded to be so. :03:

BadKarma1001
08-18-09, 12:52 AM
As good as SHV looks on first glance, i would have preferred another scenario!

1960ies cold war gone hot in a dynamic campaign with Skate, Skipjack and Thresher-Class subs hunting thier Russian counterparts.

miner1436
08-18-09, 12:56 AM
Oh this is gona be great:up: will miss the old fleet boats though. Better start pickin the ships to convert (all of them).

Pohl
08-18-09, 12:59 AM
Hopefully this new SH will have a dinamic campaign, for example:
Sinking a battleship earlier in the war, so the paper it took later on changes completely thus delivering new events, maybe have the Bismarck survive through the entire war or try to disrupt the allied assault (D-day).

Contact
08-18-09, 01:01 AM
As good as SHV looks on first glance, i would have preferred another scenario!

1960ies cold war gone hot in a dynamic campaign with Skate, Skipjack and Thresher-Class subs hunting thier Russian counterparts.

Don't worry SH6 will be in cold-war era :)

dcb
08-18-09, 01:04 AM
Hopefully this new SH will have a dinamic campaign, for example:
Sinking a battleship earlier in the war, so the paper it took later on changes completely thus delivering new events, maybe have the Bismarck survive through the entire war or try to disrupt the allied assault (D-day).

That's what I understood from the little info relesed so far about the game:

Your actions will directly impact the evolution of the campaign (from the IGN description of the game)

And again, from Gamespot's description:

The game will also feature a detailed single-player campaign that will shift dynamically depending on players' victories or defeats.

Gargantou
08-18-09, 01:20 AM
I only have two words to sum these news up...

HELL YEAH!

billyjack
08-18-09, 01:34 AM
OH I'M IN.
Like we all have been saying I HOPE and PRAY they get this one RIGHT. I have been playing the sh*t out of SH4 with the TMO mod and the ROTFS mod . with a few others thrown into the mix :D.
I play sh4 on my laptop, with a external usb port mouse :DL. WORKS and runs AWESOME on it. It's a ASUS dual core 320gig Hard drive/4gig ram/ Nvidia GEForce' 9800m GS 512/mb video card. and sh4 looks great on it. got it back in FEB so I SHOULD be able to run SH5. lets hope. :rock:

nanucq
08-18-09, 01:38 AM
Hope it'll be a major version of SH, it seems really promosing :woot:

Richo
08-18-09, 01:45 AM
Nice! Lost interest in silent hunter 4 for some reason, it just didn't do it for me (still playing silent hunter 3 do) but this sounds really interesting :D

So much greatness coming in 2010, man that will be a awesome year :yeah:

I'm with you on this one, I purchased silent Hunter IV, played it 3 times over a week and haven't touched it since, went straight back to SHIII and still play it daily. I have really been hoping that SH 5 would be back into the U-Boats.

great news:rock:

IronOutlaw
08-18-09, 01:47 AM
Sehr Geert Kameraden.

It's been a while. Bet some of you thought I'd died. But I must remind you, old soldiers, (Australian ones at least), never die, they just smell that way!

Had a few things to deal with lately. If any of you guys are vets, you'll understand.

Well SH V eh! Now let's hope they do something really special with this one and have the harbour layouts conform to the real layouts of those same harbours. Generic ones are okay, but if you're going to make the very best U-boat sim, at least make the bases real as well. I'd really like to park my boat in Tirpitz Hafen in a realistic Wilhelmshaven. It'd be okay to omit the locks, as long as the piers and wharves etc., are in the right place!

Now, at the risk of upsetting some US friends, I also hope Ubisoft correct the engine telegraph orders in German. I have the German language used in SH III, with English text. The Germans never used the term "ahead one third," but that is what the German language version uses, "eins dritte fahrt voraus!" That shouldn't be too hard to rectify.

The graphics look awesome so hopefully this bodes well for the rest of the sim.

What more can we say? Ubisoft u. Romania über Alles!

Mit kameradschaftlichen Grüßen

Brad

TwinStackPete379
08-18-09, 02:13 AM
I have two words: programmable hotkeys.

Johann Vilthomsen
08-18-09, 02:14 AM
VERY IMPORTANT!
The measurement of U-Boot and the crew is not in the same proportion.
Or the U-Boot is very large or very small men.
The U-Boot looks like a cathedral.
The Romanian development team has not visited the U-995 at Laboe?

Nexus7
08-18-09, 02:24 AM
Amusing to see the "avalanche" of requests from everyone hehe

Anyway, dynamic campaign means the axis can win the war ??

Task Force
08-18-09, 02:24 AM
Oah great... an repeat of the other sh games, arcadeish... where you just go out, and somehow manage to sink 100,000tons...

My prediction.... this game will be arcadeish as hell... if it is anything like the trailer...

I think this will be a graphic game... not realism...

my 2 cents.

Eaj13
08-18-09, 02:28 AM
Hi Neal

thank you very much for this great news. Pics and trailer are really top quality

kindly regards

eaj

Ps: here ist the place where I will play with :03:

http://a1.vox.com/6a00f48d123ed20001011018633e11860f-500pi

mabad
08-18-09, 02:29 AM
Does anyone have noticed that this are cinematics?

Sorry, but I cannot judge a game based on its cinematics. The WarCraft cinematics 10 years ago were also incredible, but had nothing to do with the gameplay.

I skipped SHIV and I will keep an ear on SHV but cinematics will not convince me to buy.

Zachstar
08-18-09, 02:36 AM
I will buy it because I want to support sim development but I am disappointed for a number of reasons.

The first is unfair of course but I am sort of stunned that they choose to turn this into a "Sims U-boat" in my opinion instead of the easier job of a modern subsim. And yes it is easier compared to the massive amount of work needed to accurately simulate a U-boat crew.

The second is other than that what else is new? Looks pretty? Aye it does but SH3 is still pretty as well. Are we going to be without wolfpacks again?

joeljansson
08-18-09, 02:36 AM
ohhhhhhhhhh my GOD its like we wanted it !!!!! im getting a heart attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! need money to pre order!!!!!!:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::up::up:

Zachstar
08-18-09, 02:39 AM

No it will not. Just like it wont be a modern subsim. Ubisoft is going to go with the same cycle over and over again until sales slow down to a standstill.

conus00
08-18-09, 02:43 AM

I don't mean to slam post-war simulations but wouldn't be cold-war era simulator limiting the action almost exclusively to submarine to submarine action?

Also, cold-war was just that: cold war, no real full fledged war and IMO it is kinda silly to play what-if? scenarios...

Zachstar
08-18-09, 02:49 AM
I don't mean to slam post-war simulations but wouldn't be cold-war era simulator limiting the action almost exclusively to submarine to submarine action?

Also, cold-war was just that: cold war, no real full fledged war and IMO it is kinda silly to play what-if? scenarios...

Um playing Silent Hunter is a big "What If"

"What if Captain Zachstar sank a carrier with an S-Class during World War 2"

There was no captain Zachstar obviously so its a "What if"

As for cold war stuff. We did not go from fleet boat to 688i in a few years. Homing torpedoes did not get seriously effective right after WW2 and even today a war would involve interdiction of enemy shipping.

conus00
08-18-09, 02:54 AM
Ok, I see your point.

I guess that there are "what-if?"s and "what-if?"s
The cold-war sub sim would fall in the later category.

Just kidding. :D
What I was trying to say is that WW2 actually happened as opposed to cold-war which was more of "political situation" than actual war...

Hakahura
08-18-09, 02:59 AM
Crosses fingers, hopes for the best.
Something to look forward to.

Task Force
08-18-09, 03:00 AM
I will buy it because I want to support sim development but I am disappointed for a number of reasons.

The first is unfair of course but I am sort of stunned that they choose to turn this into a "Sims U-boat" in my opinion instead of the easier job of a modern subsim. And yes it is easier compared to the massive amount of work needed to accurately simulate a U-boat crew.

The second is other than that what else is new? Looks pretty? Aye it does but SH3 is still pretty as well. Are we going to be without wolfpacks again?

Well.... I dont think they will do a modern subsim... Its not good for sales... the market for sims like this... alot of people dont feel like learning the complex systems of a modern boat...

tomoose
08-18-09, 03:01 AM
OK, I might as well get the ball rolling. :yawn:
When does SH 6 come out?:har:

conus00
08-18-09, 03:02 AM
OK, I might as well get the ball rolling. :yawn:
When does SH 6 come out?:har:

I will be done when it's done... :har:
(sorry I couldn't resist)

Task Force
08-18-09, 03:02 AM
sh6 will comeout a week later.... lol

conus00
08-18-09, 03:07 AM

...and SH7 announced another week later :D

Armistead
08-18-09, 03:08 AM
Everyone's going to buy it regardless of what they say.......As Sarah Palin would say..."You betcha ya".

My wife is very concerned and hope it sucks.....

We can specualate and whine about this or that....but I'm not going to worry about what it is or isn't, I'll wait until it comes out..when I know, then opinions count, not months before the game comes out.

I would spend a nights dinner just to have a complete sub.....Let's look forward to it rather than fall into depression over ...if's.

My guess is they will hit it out of the ballpark....

Mikemike
08-18-09, 03:09 AM
/me does a backflip into a container of margarine! WooHoo! :rock:

zedekiah
08-18-09, 03:12 AM
Is there a plan for Destroyer Command 5

ijozic
08-18-09, 03:21 AM
What I was trying to say is that WW2 actually happened as opposed to cold-war which was more of "political situation" than actual war...

Which makes it perfect for all sorts of conflicts and involving campaigns as long as you have a good basic sim and a good mission editor.

WW2 actually happening kinda limits your options. Besides, with these new features announced for SH5 (War Strategies and Enemy Reactions), it seems it might weer off the absolute historical accuracy to make it more involving for the player.

For a Cold War sim, I would highly prefer the mid 80s setting. Attacking Atlantic convoys with an Oscar class sub, attacking various airbases accross Norway and UK with cruise missiles, deploying commando teams, sinking enemy task forces, intercepting enemy boomers, etc. - the options are not only numerous, but are far more influential on the entire campaign or even war so a much more involving dynamic campaign can be made. It's completely unlike WW2 where despite all efforts, the individual U-Boat effort is negligable (or even the whole U-Boat effort once the convoys were organized and the US shipyards started churning out ships).

Thus, IMHO, we really need a good Cold War sim with an engaging dynamic campaign. Dangerous Waters (and previous Sonalyst efforts) is really lacking in the regards of a good mission editor with more involving campaign options.

mabad
08-18-09, 03:25 AM

Unless someone plans to cut development when the today scheduled features are implemented, and peform a proper QA before the game hits the shops. Then it could get out two weeks late but without requiring emergency patches, as the two last forerunners required.

coronas
08-18-09, 03:27 AM
Thanks for E-mail, Neal! :yeah:
Great pictures and video....
...I wish SHV will keep all promissing. :hmmm:

BulSoldier
08-18-09, 03:28 AM
The modern sub sim will be so wrong to do.The only thing that we should (in order to be realistic ) fight will be enemy warships and imagine how repeatative will that be. Convoys wont ever happen since modern subs can anhilate them with just one torpedo.

WW2 era is much more interesting since at that time, the machines were as good as the crews used them.no computers , everything was done in hand.
TDC was calculating device but it has nothing to do(as far as i know) with what we call today computers.

Task Force
08-18-09, 03:37 AM
I hope that ubisoft dosent ruin the sh series... you carry it on too long... it turns onto almost like a bad movie...

Blood_splat
08-18-09, 03:49 AM
I think the fact they're trying to make it more immersive and livelier is cool. Building a bond with your crew is pretty neat. It addresses that emptiness inside the sub while playing the current games III - IV.

Wilko
08-18-09, 03:58 AM
WOW I last signed in 27-12-2008 but after getting the email I had to come see.

Interesting stuff.. so where is BERNARD

cautiously optimistic .. a ways to go but something to look foward to

shegeek72
08-18-09, 03:59 AM
I bet you that 75 % of us will have to buy a new PC with top notch graphic card... Well, for those that will be able to afford it...

Thank you I stay with SH3. Can't buy a 3000 or 4000 Euro new PC anyway,
sniff... http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/47.gif
I put together the following system for around 1800 USD:

Asus P6T Deluxe X58
Intel Core i7 940
3g OCZ DDR3
Seagate 1T SATA
Seagate 500g SATA (backup)
Radeon 4850 512mb GDDR3 x2
Antec TPQ-850 850w SLI CrossFire ready
Antec 900 case
Logitech EX 110 Black cordless KB and mouse
(used existing 19' flat screen monitor)

By the time SHV is out a system that costs the same will kick mine's ass. :rock:
--
http://tarasresources.net/wac_banner2.gif

Grothesj2
08-18-09, 04:03 AM
I'm excited and will likely buy it though I admit it would be pretty nice to see a Red Storm Rising type subsim recreated with perhaps two time periods you could fight out WW3 in (Cuban Missile Crisis era turned hot, a and one for the late 80s). That game is still one of my all time favorites and with modern graphics and computer processing that game could really rock if remade.