PDA

View Full Version : Periscopes

csengoi
09-17-08, 02:56 PM
It is annoying that I don't experience any fifference between attack periscope and observation periscope.
In SH3 the observation periscope had more wide angles to move, it could be set 90 degrees upwards, but here all two scopes have the same parameters. Why is this? Can it be fixed?

The other problem their max length that I could raise them. It is nearly at water line, and in heavier seas the waves always overlap them. They are too short IMHO.

Carotio
09-17-08, 03:34 PM
It is annoying that I don't experience any fifference between attack periscope and observation periscope.
In SH3 the observation periscope had more wide angles to move, it could be set 90 degrees upwards, but here all two scopes have the same parameters. Why is this? Can it be fixed?

The other problem their max length that I could raise them. It is nearly at water line, and in heavier seas the waves always overlap them. They are too short IMHO.

It's a while ago that I played, but playing with PE enabled, I think I can look almost straight up with the obs.scope. Anyway, it should be editable in the camera.dat file somewhere. Use S3D for the purpose.

About the waterline, then you could edit each sub/uboats cfg file, which sets the periscope depth to something higher. You can use notepad to do that.

DarkFish
09-18-08, 02:29 PM
In SH3 the observation periscope had more wide angles to move, it could be set 90 degrees upwards, but here all two scopes have the same parameters. Why is this? Can it be fixed? in the sensori_uboat.sim file (SensorData section) there are values for the min and max elevation of each periscope type. all values for the observation periscope and the attack periscope are the same, so it seems you're right there is no difference between them. You could decrease the ElevationMax value of the attack periscope (current value = 360).

The other problem their max length that I could raise them. It is nearly at water line, and in heavier seas the waves always overlap them. They are too short IMHO. also in the sensori_uboat.sim file you'll find the obj_Extensible section for both periscopes. current max_height is set to 5,5 m. You could try to increase this value. the 3d model of the periscope however seems to be about 5,6 m long, so this could make the periscope 'float' above the u-boot, with the u-boat having a big hole in its conning tower :)

LukeFF
09-21-08, 04:31 AM
also in the sensori_uboat.sim file you'll find the obj_Extensible section for both periscopes. current max_height is set to 5,5 m. You could try to increase this value. the 3d model of the periscope however seems to be about 5,6 m long, so this could make the periscope 'float' above the u-boot, with the u-boat having a big hole in its conning tower :)

RFB will have the historically correct extension heights for both periscopes in the next release (they extend quite a ways). With these adjustments, running at periscope depth at 15 meters in the IXD2 is completely feasible.

csengoi
09-21-08, 07:30 AM
also in the sensori_uboat.sim file you'll find the obj_Extensible section for both periscopes. current max_height is set to 5,5 m. You could try to increase this value. the 3d model of the periscope however seems to be about 5,6 m long, so this could make the periscope 'float' above the u-boot, with the u-boat having a big hole in its conning tower :)
RFB will have the historically correct extension heights for both periscopes in the next release (they extend quite a ways). With these adjustments, running at periscope depth at 15 meters in the IXD2 is completely feasible.

Including the type ii, vii and all the others?

LukeFF
09-21-08, 04:37 PM
Including the type ii, vii and all the others?

Well, there's only one set of extension heights right now for each scope, so I have it set to the extension height for the IXD2. Still looking to see if we can have different scope extension heights for the II and VII boats.

Frederf
09-21-08, 05:11 PM
Can you make the light gathered by the attack periscope less than the obs periscope? The bigger lens on the obs was better at low light situations.

Also can it be made so you can't look though the periscope until it's in the range where the viewport is above the deckplate?

LukeFF
09-21-08, 11:40 PM
Can you make the light gathered by the attack periscope less than the obs periscope? The bigger lens on the obs was better at low light situations.

It's doable, yes.

Also can it be made so you can't look though the periscope until it's in the range where the viewport is above the deckplate?

Unfortunately, no.