PDA

View Full Version : Run out of fuel...what to do ?

Sardaukar67
04-25-08, 05:12 PM
OK...my sub just run out of fuel before reaching friendly port. Is there anything to do ? Running SH4 with add-on UMB 1.5 and RSRD Campaign mod.

I need refuelling...I guess Milk Cows are not modelled for USN...:p I don't think sails are modelled either...:lol:

But my question is, is there anything I could have done except Quit to main menu ? :p

Tebok
04-25-08, 05:19 PM
Triple A.

Sardaukar67
04-25-08, 05:32 PM
Triple A ?

Is that Abandon ship or firing AAA to attract attention ? :hmm: :D

V.C. Sniper
04-25-08, 05:46 PM
Winds a blowin matey, yarrr. HOIST THE SAIL!!!:arrgh!:

DeepIron
04-25-08, 06:01 PM
OK...my sub just run out of fuel before reaching friendly port. Is there anything to do ?Er, try not to run out of fuel next time? ;)

Sardaukar67
04-25-08, 06:15 PM
OK...my sub just run out of fuel before reaching friendly port. Is there anything to do ?Er, try not to run out of fuel next time? ;)

Well...I had about 50 % left when I did start to come back, mission started from Pearl and I planned to refill in Midway. Unfortunately I accidentally run Standard Speed instead of Slow with high time compression for a while. Ran out of fuel after passing longitude of Wake, coming from Coast of Japan..still way off from Midway.

I was quite surprised, since fuel consumption did seem to be way higher than in previous 1.4 RFB+RSRD games.

I just wish there was chance to send distress signal i game...with bit of chance to actually get help...;) It might be difficult to send a tug, though...:p

JREX53
04-25-08, 06:53 PM
Did you take any damage, especially your battery. You should have been
able to get to Midway with 50% fuel and going at a standard speed. I do
it all the time.

If you have battery damage, it will never completely get charged to 100%.
But it will keep trying to charge the battery.

Sardaukar67
04-25-08, 06:58 PM
Did you take any damage, especially your battery. You should have been
able to get to Midway with 50% fuel and going at a standard speed. I do
it all the time.

If you have battery damage, it will never completely get charged to 100%.
But it will keep trying to charge the battery.

I think that might be the explanation. I got some damage but thought it had been repaired. Most likely I should have turned off battery recharging.

TheBlobThing
04-25-08, 07:23 PM
Maybe you should consider a mod that adds the "max range at current speed" button to the navigator menu? I'm sure that would eliminate your problem in the future...

Torplexed
04-25-08, 07:34 PM
There's always the unlimited fuel option at the start of the game too.

This sim really needs SH3's old return to base button. :p Or to borrow a milchkuh or two.

Werewolf13
04-25-08, 08:37 PM
One of the cfg or ini files has the game options stored in it. Sorry I don't remember which one but it's not that hard to find. Once you do when you open it find the fuel option and set it to 0 - I think - which gives you unlimited fuel.

This will allow you to get back to Pearl.

Don't forget to reset that game difficulty option when you're in the briefing room (unless you wanna keep unlimited fuel that is)

Sardaukar67
04-26-08, 02:05 AM
Nah, I don't want to have unlimited fuel. I take it like: OK, in last surface combat we took damage and fuel tank was ruptured...causing loss of some of our fuel. Unfortunately we cannot return to base with amount we have.

I do wish, tho, that SH4 had Abandon ship-system like in Aces of Deep where outcome was determined randomly but based on location you were. I mean, SubPac would try to send some help if your sub was not stranded too close to enemy.

John W. Hamm
04-26-08, 05:15 AM
Nah, I don't want to have unlimited fuel. I take it like: OK, in last surface combat we took damage and fuel tank was ruptured...causing loss of some of our fuel. Unfortunately we cannot return to base with amount we have.

I do wish, tho, that SH4 had Abandon ship-system like in Aces of Deep where outcome was determined randomly but based on location you were. I mean, SubPac would try to send some help if your sub was not stranded too close to enemy.

I don't use the unlimited Fuel option either however if I do run out I will change the Unlimited battery option in the .INI (becuase once you run out of fuel that is it, but if you still have battery you can set it to unlimited, or at least I cna't get the fuel to go to unlimited after it is out) file as suggested earlier in the thread, The reason is in RL if a sub ran out of fuel we didn't abandon ship and leave it in the sea... We towed it back. So I just pretend I got a tow, and plus it takes longer when going home on battery... So it helps for a little more realistic tow time.

Sardaukar67
04-26-08, 07:34 AM

I don't use the unlimited Fuel option either however if I do run out I will change the Unlimited battery option in the .INI (becuase once you run out of fuel that is it, but if you still have battery you can set it to unlimited, or at least I cna't get the fuel to go to unlimited after it is out) file as suggested earlier in the thread, The reason is in RL if a sub ran out of fuel we didn't abandon ship and leave it in the sea... We towed it back. So I just pretend I got a tow, and plus it takes longer when going home on battery... So it helps for a little more realistic tow time.

Sounds quite reasonable.

I just wish there was some option in game to resolve the outcome other than Exit...:cry:

Rockin Robbins
04-26-08, 09:22 AM
In war, death is always an option.:arrgh!:

Sailor Steve
04-26-08, 10:50 AM
Triple A ?

Is that Abandon ship or firing AAA to attract attention ? :hmm: :D
He was making a joke. AAA in this case stands for American Automobile Association. If you subscribe to AAA They will rescue you if your car runs out of gas or breaks down while you're on a trip.

Also in World War Two I don't think they used the term AAA for gunfire, it was only AA. The first A stands for automatic, and I'm pretty sure they didn't use that initial during the war.

gimpy117
04-26-08, 12:33 PM
Winds a blowin matey, yarrr. HOIST THE SAIL!!!:arrgh!:

yeah...go master and commander on them....

Sardaukar67
04-26-08, 06:36 PM
Triple A ?

Is that Abandon ship or firing AAA to attract attention ? :hmm: :D He was making a joke. AAA in this case stands for American Automobile Association. If you subscribe to AAA They will rescue you if your car runs out of gas or breaks down while you're on a trip.

Also in World War Two I don't think they used the term AAA for gunfire, it was only AA. The first A stands for automatic, and I'm pretty sure they didn't use that initial during the war.
Well....AA is what my wife recommends...and they have those *steps*. Heck, in EUrooppe we do have other means to get home...:lol: Lift or elevator..divided by common language...:lol:

FIREWALL
04-26-08, 07:03 PM
You have two choices. Matey :D None of them good.;)

SURRENDER !!!:nope:

Go Down With the Boat. ( Hit Crash Dive ) :yep:

Wait a minute. Diveing Duck can put sails on anything. :p

Ipecac
04-29-08, 02:35 AM
Hey there,

This is my first post. Yaaay!

I had a similar problem today. I just finished running a super awesome mission on 100% realism, and I was all excited to get back to the sub base. Sure enough, I have to go from Japan to Hawaii on 1/3 tank of gas and I can't make it. I also can't make it to that southern port, not on 1/3 speed, not on 2/3, not on standard.

I did however make it by running on 1/3 power submerged until my batteries ran out, surfacing (still 1/3 speed) until the batteries charge then down, up, down, etc. until I made it. It took forever.

THis might be a dumb answer; I just figured it out, I'm sure you already knew.

:)

DavyJonesFootlocker
04-29-08, 07:31 AM
You're doomed! That's all. Alternatively you can order Ducimus, Peabody, Rockin Robbins, Sailor Steve and any Moderators to get out and start pushing to the nearest gas station or give up their shirts and trousers and make a sail. You may have to throw the lot overboard to save weight, though.:yep::rotfl::rotfl:

Quillan
04-29-08, 08:24 AM
The battery issue has already been mentioned. If you've ever suffered battery damage this patrol (even if it has been repaired) there's a pretty good chance that charging won't switch off, and that will kill your fuel efficiency. It is possible to dig into your save games folder and edit the .cfg files that have the current gameplay settings in them to turn limited fuel off, thus getting back to port that way. However, that .cfg file is in 2-3 different spots in the save folder, and the one time I did it I had to change every one of them before it took.

Ipecac, you can get from Midway to the southern tip of Japan on 25% fuel. The most efficient travel speed is 9 knots. If you're running some of the mods, they'll have changed the telegraph settings so that either Ahead 2/3 or Ahead Standard gives you the surface speed you want, but you can always manually change speed if you're not. Never go straight back to Pearl Harbor; always stop at Midway on the way out and the way back in to refuel.