PDA

View Full Version : Too many enemy aircraft...

Ark
03-25-07, 01:17 PM
I get freakin' bombed every every 100 miles or so . Even 100 miles off the coast of Midway I'm constantly bombed.

Is there any way to reduce the amount of enemy air? This is sort of ridiculous.

Gizzmoe
03-25-07, 01:20 PM
Check out data\cfg\aircraft.cfg, there you can change Airbase Modifiers, ranges and more.

Ark
03-25-07, 01:30 PM
Check out data\cfg\aircraft.cfg, there you can change Airbase Modifiers, ranges and more.

Ok, I'll try that.

It seems wierd that I am directly in the path of every air patrol. lol

AntEater
03-25-07, 02:01 PM
Funny is that this air attack frequency would have been appropriate for SH3, while the frequency of SH3 would have been good for SH4 :D

BBury
03-25-07, 02:12 PM
I agree. I get hammerd by air patrols constantly and every direction I divert to they always find me. This coupled with very low yield batteries makes running campaign missions difficult.

CCIP
03-25-07, 02:16 PM
AirStrike.cfg in the cfg folder is where you look! You can see the probabilities of air attack laid out there; you can reduce the numbers as you wish.

AntEater
03-25-07, 02:24 PM
Default probability is at 10 percent. I changed it to 5 and the air session steps to 20, now I am hardly bothered by air. The reason that there's so much more air than in SH3 is simply that SH3's air logic did not work at time compressions above 256 while in SH4 it works up to 8000x. But it seems to me that airstrike.cfg, contacts.cfg and commands are the only files in the data\cfg dir that actually have any relevance in the game.

Hylander_1314
03-25-07, 11:25 PM
Also take into consideration, that the Japanese used the Mavis flying boats alot for their deep penetration recon missions. I have only crash dived to avoid airpatrols, instead of fighting them off, so do the Japanese planes burn easily? If not they should, as they lacked self sealing fuel tanks, and crew armour. This was to keep the weight down, and get the best performance out of the planes. This is the main reason the A6M2, and A6M5 could achieve a round trip distance of 1200 miles on average.

The burning rate of the G4M Betty was so high, that it was called the flying lighter, or flying torch, as it burned very easily, when the tanks were hit, and was prone to shedding the wing quickly from the fires generated.

ccruner13
03-26-07, 01:22 AM
they burn they just dont die
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o49/borschwanger/SH4Img25-3-2007_23.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o49/borschwanger/SH4Img25-3-2007_23-1.jpg
/finally/ exploded....7 flipping flame trails later...

JCWolf
03-26-07, 01:36 AM
I think that if you chosen pearl Harbor mate,
you should realise that you start ther just after the
Attck from the Japanese Airplanes...

Japanese Task force is around somewere,
Its very normal that you have a lote of Japanese Air trafic...

ccruner13
03-26-07, 01:55 AM
can you find that task force? i cant..it doesnt show up on contacts. i also cant find midway attackers (found sub coordiantes in single mission and sat there..nothing no radar no radio message except to tell me about the battle after it was over). i was also sitting in wake island's harbor when the japs supposedly captured it yet there was nothing to illustrate this. no ships no nothing.

Anachronous
03-26-07, 10:46 AM
I had a single contact report last night, only to find it was a fleet. So you will never know, unless you can check every single contact.

akdavis
03-26-07, 10:55 AM
Also take into consideration, that the Japanese used the Mavis flying boats alot for their deep penetration recon missions. I have only crash dived to avoid airpatrols, instead of fighting them off, so do the Japanese planes burn easily? If not they should, as they lacked self sealing fuel tanks, and crew armour. This was to keep the weight down, and get the best performance out of the planes. This is the main reason the A6M2, and A6M5 could achieve a round trip distance of 1200 miles on average.

The burning rate of the G4M Betty was so high, that it was called the flying lighter, or flying torch, as it burned very easily, when the tanks were hit, and was prone to shedding the wing quickly from the fires generated.

This does not, however, apply to the H8K. H8Ks were tough and well-protected, but there were less than 200 of them built during the course of the war.

Banquet
03-26-07, 01:29 PM
I started off diving to avoid air contacts but once was out of battery charge so stayed on the surface and my AA gunner shot down 6 planes in a row.. It didn't feel right at all.

Japanese aircraft could not take much damage compared to Allied aircraft but you only have to sneeze at planes in SH4 to bring them down. They are either too easy to hit, or don't take enough damage, or a combination.

So far I've been caught mid dive 6 times by aircraft. Was heavily damaged once, sunk once and got away 4 times so I'm not sure the attacks need to be made any more deadly but as it stands it seems it's safer to stay on the surface and use AA, rather than dive and get caught with your crew off the deck in mid dive.. which isn't historically accurate I don't think.

In terms of the amount of aircraft patrols.. once the Japanese discovered a sub they did fly aggressively to try and kill it.. but I always seem to get a patrol over me very soon after getting in range of air cover, which seems a bit quick!

Egan
03-27-07, 04:27 PM
Funny is that this air attack frequency would have been appropriate for SH3, while the frequency of SH3 would have been good for SH4 :D

Lol, I was just saying this to someone. I have a theory about that...

I notice there is a night time modifier for airstrikes. Was this is in SH3? I don't remember, which is kinda irritating considering how long I spent working on that file for RUB. :D

CCIP
03-27-07, 04:30 PM
Yep, there was one for SHIII.

Otherwise, I don't share any of the sentiment brought up in this thread :88)

In areas with any kind of enemy aircover, I simply run submerged during daytime and raid by night. I hardly ever get attacked at all - usually just when I'm foolish enough to come up for an extended period during the day.

Egan
03-27-07, 04:56 PM
You have all the luck my friend. I got attacked 6 times in one day in Empire waters. God, it was worse than Biscay! :rotfl:

Ducimus
03-27-07, 05:04 PM
It's not REALLY the airstike.cfg. If you compare it to SH3/GWX, its base modifers are acutally LOWER in value. The real culprit is in the airbase.cfg files themselves. They define how many squadrons are at that base type. Some bases have 12 squadrons, at least one that i saw has 24. By comparision, an average improved airpower mod for SH3 had like 4 -5 squadrons.

Mechman
03-27-07, 05:08 PM
This does not, however, apply to the H8K. H8Ks were tough and well-protected, but there were less than 200 of them built during the course of the war.

In that case, I'm proud to announce I've single-handedly taken out nearly the entire Imperial Navy H8K fleet, and it's not even 1943 yet.

tater
03-27-07, 06:38 PM
There were 167, actually, so perhaps you took out more than they built in RL ;)

Early in the war, at remote islands not yet "fortified" with large air groups, I'd not expect more than a single Sentai (9-12 planes) of a given type, and not more than a couple types.

Planes like H6K and H8K would likely be a single Sentai, period.

tater

ParaB
03-27-07, 07:25 PM
I've reduced the number of air sorties and increased the pauses between them to reduce the overall number of air attacks. To make up for that, I've increased the effectiveness of the airstrikes considerably.

Initial testing looks good.

I'll probably release a JSGME-compatible version tomorrow.

CapnScurvy
03-27-07, 09:08 PM
What's with the air patrol at night? I was out in Bumf--- nowhere, at 01:15 and attacked by a Jap seaplane. I took to the deep, considering my last patrol. I lost my command after having my sub sunk that way, during the day. I really think the plane frequency and its time of day attacks are over the top.

ccruner13
03-27-07, 10:23 PM
In areas with any kind of enemy aircover, I simply run submerged during daytime and raid by night. I hardly ever get attacked at all - usually just when I'm foolish enough to come up for an extended period during the day.

aye tried that...2:15 pitch black im charging my batteries and 'aircraft spotted' gunner opens up and he bursts into flames about 50 feet from my boat...i had /no/ idea where he was how in blazes could he see me? (aside from night it was also very cloudy) btw he killed me on top of it

tater
03-28-07, 01:54 AM
BTW, I noticed the Zeros drop bombs. Can aircraft loadouts be modded?

Yes, they could hold 2x60kg bombs, no, they rarely ever did operationally. (and the 250kg was only used on suicide planes, contrary to common Il-2 PF usage).

tater

joea
03-28-07, 03:19 AM
Check out the info in this thread...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=109413

Would be a good start.