PDA

View Full Version : [REL] Captain Midnight's CBS News Mod NEWS AS IT HAPPENS!!!

CaptainCox
03-24-07, 12:11 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/Capmidnight77.gif

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/SUBSIGUScopy.png

Made by

CaptainCox

Download Part 1: 1941-42 here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//downloads.php?do=file&id=3946)

Added 103 more news events, that's 161 in total!(old version 58)

Added some Captain Midnight radio episodes and some more commercials

Removed ALL! music as I think people have different tastes and there is also the copyright issue.

To add your own music to the CBS Radio channel, simply dump your mp3 files in:

Captain Midnights MORE CBS NEWS! MOD v1,2\Data\Sound\Radio\CBS NEWS
This will add a new radio station to your Submarine Radio.

Tune in to Frequency

30.0, Radio news bulletins will be broadcasted live as they happen
and that all through out this bloody war.
The "LIVE" Radio news bulletins are 161 all together
and spans from 1941-12-07 to 14-08-1945
(Mostly CBS, but also some other stuff)
and are broadcasted they day they actually happened

(times during the day may vary)

When there is no "LIVE" news a collection of commercials will play, all from the era.

If you have other stuff you would like to listen to simply go to the
"CBS NEWS" in the mod folder and replace the audio files to whatever you like)
DISSABLE THE MOD in JSGME before you do this!!!

after you have replaced the audio files you can of course enable the mod again.

If you feel that you don't want to wait for the exact date to hear

these news broad casts you can also copy the files over to

C:/ Program Files/Ubisoft/Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the

Pacific/Data/Sound/Radio/Washington

They will just play at random...maybe a bit strange to hear about Hiroshima or Iwo Jima early 42.

Creds to "tedhealy" for the method of writing the "Radio.ini"

and the info on Patch 1.2

Install:

Simply use with JSGME
If you don't have it get it here:
http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html (http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html)

OLD VERSION:

UPDATE TO PATCH 1.2

Add this to the "Radio.ini" in the mod

[CHANNEL]

Name=CBS NEWS

Folder=CBS NEWS
Freq=30
Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:34.05,-118.22:100000
;MusicVolumeOnNews takes values from 0.01 to 1
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

Download Part 1: 1941-42 here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//downloads.php?do=file&id=3946)

Spaxspore
03-24-07, 12:18 PM
OMG... this is what ive been waitin for THanK YOU!!!!:up::up::up::up:

castorp345
03-24-07, 12:20 PM
brilliant!!
many many thanks!

Onkel Neal
03-24-07, 12:29 PM
Great job, added to the Main Subsim page.

Faamecanic
03-24-07, 12:37 PM
Modders are at it again! Great Job:up: Its my humble opinion that Ubi should hire you guys to develop SH5 in tandem with the actual devs!

letterboy1
03-24-07, 12:53 PM
Yes, this is what I call adding to immersion. Thanks CaptainCox and thanks to the devs for adding this feature. I can't wait to start a campaign now.

tedhealy
03-24-07, 01:11 PM
We should have a thread to request radio frequencies for mods so radio mods won't conflict.

Currently I'm doing an all entertainment radio mod that is going to have 50+ hours of old time radio shows from the war and I'm probably going to use frequency 38.

Freq 22 = Washington
Freq 30 = Captain Midnight CBS Radio Station
Freq 38 = Los Angeles

Safe-Keeper
03-24-07, 01:40 PM
Splendid mod idea. Let's hope it's great in-game, too.

"Have you gotten Charmichael to go to sleep yet?!"

What about the rest of the features of the media? Will you have an annoying war reporter on board that keeps getting in the way? Will the news keep broadcasting pictures from your sinkings 1000 times? Will you be stalked by paparazzis giving your position away to the enemy?

Der Graf Von Rudklide
03-24-07, 02:16 PM
Thanx a lot - Great work :up:

Barkhorn1x
03-24-07, 02:39 PM
Awesome!!

Soviet_Warlord
03-24-07, 03:42 PM
Very cool!

Tigrone
03-24-07, 04:09 PM
This is like Christmas everyday with all the wonderful new toys. Thanks so much for the our new radio station.

Respenus
03-24-07, 04:28 PM
This is great! Thank you!

Banquet
03-24-07, 04:58 PM
Just tried it.. fantastic! Thanks!

What a cool feature the radio is too!

Beery
03-24-07, 05:02 PM
Great job! Can't wait to try this one out.

ryuzu
03-24-07, 05:05 PM
This is a good addition - thanks!

Let's hope enough Japanese material can be found to make an equivalent.

Also, might worth looking at limiting ranges so that you can only get the stations near to US/Japanese territories.

r.

clayton
03-24-07, 05:19 PM
Your brilliant!!! :up: Will it 'fade' out the farther I get from the USA? I'm sure this is the first of many radio stations to come. Did I tell you, your brilliant??? :up: Thanks for all the hard work! I've got the Guardfish enroute to Guam to drop off some agent, listening to the radio station the whole way...:ping:

E.Hartmann
03-24-07, 05:46 PM
GOD! Dont even have game yet and mods are coming out! Damit! Ok Direct2Drive here I come.....

CaptainCox
03-24-07, 05:54 PM
The range of the broad cast can easily be modified in the Radio Folder of the mod its a script called "Radio"(notepad) open that and you will see this

[CHANNEL]
Name=CBS NEWS
Folder=CBS NEWS
Freq=30

the 100000 is the range of the transmitter, play with that number if you want to reduce the range.

Unload the mod in JSGME, modify that range to what you want, save, and reinstall the mod with JSGME

Have fun and thanks for all the kudos :)

@ Soviet Warlord, I cracked your code it says "ARK ROYAL SIGHTED QUADRANT AF12 BEARING 196 SPEED 20KTS SET COURSE TO INTERCEPT"

clayton
03-24-07, 05:58 PM
Seems easy enough! Any short-wave radio experts out there know the kind of range a stateside radio station would have? I'm sure atmosphereic disturbances are not coded in the game!

Banquet
03-24-07, 06:58 PM
I wonder if there are any recordings of Tokyo Rose? It would be awesome to have a frequency for that!

tedhealy
03-24-07, 07:02 PM
Doing some tests in game with a radio station at Los Angeles' latitude and longitude, the power portion of the radio.ini line

is in nautical miles.

With my created radio station in L.A. and a power of 100, I had to sail to right off the coast within 100 miles of the the approximate latitude and longitude to tune in the station.

You'll be able to tune to the frequency when out of range, but you'll get the static noise. Once you get within range, the station will come in. Cool thing was when I tuned it in a program already in progress was picked up.

tedhealy
03-24-07, 07:07 PM
Seems easy enough! Any short-wave radio experts out there know the kind of range a stateside radio station would have? I'm sure atmosphereic disturbances are not coded in the game!
An idea would be to reproduce radio washington (or whatever station you want) as many smaller stations in allied control. If you are way out to sea, you won't pick up anything, but as you get closer to allied control land, the station will come in. Broadcast locations could even shift as the war goes on because you can set broadcast start and end dates. Because as it is, radio washington can be picked up anywhere.

Tokyo rose recordings are hard to come by. I'd say we'd have to shoot for at least 20 to make it worth while.

Rykaird
03-24-07, 07:10 PM
This is a fantastic mod - great immersion!

Quick question - I seem to be getting two tracks playing simultaneously - e.g., a variety piece and an unrelated music piece, or two news items playing at once.

Is this on purpose, because of the difficulty in tuning in far away radio stations? Or maybe from time compression?

tedhealy
03-24-07, 07:17 PM

Quick question - I seem to be getting two tracks playing simultaneously - e.g., a variety piece and an unrelated music piece, or two news items playing at once.

Is this on purpose, because of the difficulty in tuning in far away radio stations? Or maybe from time compression?
This is from the file Radio_track.wav above the events folder.

I suggest changing it by copying the Gramophone noise.wav in the \data\sound directory and pasting it there and then renaming it to Radio_track.wav. It's just loud enough to hear the static to know you've tuned something in and have the radio on, but it won't be so loud that you can hear it during broadcasts.

Faamecanic
03-24-07, 09:04 PM
I also seem to be having issues, that are Time Compression related. I keep having the same track repeat over and over (the beechnut gum commerical). I fixed it by exiting to the menu, turning off music in sound menu, going back in game, then exiting to menu agian, re-enabling music via the sound menu.

Also...is there a way to kill the default background music (the default music that plays when the radio isnt on)?? Just like the original version of SH3 the default music is tied to the music slider that is also tied to the radio and grammaphone. Very irritating when I want to run silent and I have the default track blasting away...really takes away from the immersion factor.

Dude
03-25-07, 03:55 AM
How do we choose the frequency in the radio???

For example I am inside the sub.I open the radio,I see the old fashioned radio,I can see the play,stop,forward,backward buttons but no choice to set a frequency.

Perhaps due to time and tiredness last night I couldn't focus on screen :doh:

CaptainCox
03-25-07, 05:24 AM
Not sure about why one gets double tracks or repeats. Could be the game itself that is still not optimized here. When i tried this out yesterday the "LIVE" news would go on and the tune playing previous to the news would fade down but still be there faint in the background, but faint enough not to disturb. Might need to figure a script that turns that off completely in case of a news event. Have to look into it.

Regarding operating the Radio simply hit the play button, then scan the frequency with the fast forward button, it will then scan automatically till it finds a station and stop there, if you want to go back simply hit the fast reverse button. To turn of the radio hit play again and the "orig" game music will come back.

nvdrifter
03-25-07, 05:35 AM
Also...is there a way to kill the default background music (the default music that plays when the radio isnt on)?? Just like the original version of SH3 the default music is tied to the music slider that is also tied to the radio and grammaphone. Very irritating when I want to run silent and I have the default track blasting away...really takes away from the immersion factor.

If you don't like the in-game music playing whenever the radio is turned off, you can disable it by renaming your Music folder located in your Data\Sound folder. This will stop the vanilla in-game music from playing.

Mylander
03-25-07, 07:14 AM
Standing ovation! Fantastic! :up: :up: :up:

Mylander

Faamecanic
03-25-07, 07:23 AM
If you don't like the in-game music playing whenever the radio is turned off, you can disable it by renaming your Music folder located in your Data\Sound folder. This will stop the vanilla in-game music from playing.

Thanks m8 :up:

And thanks to Capt Cox... I think this double tracking only happens when you go High TC at the same time as the next track is loading up. thats when it happend to me. Oh and it wasnt a matter of two tracks playing over each other..it was the same track that just kept repeating over and over.

Dane
03-25-07, 07:30 AM
I would also like to thank you for offering this to the community. Though I have played SH3 with GWX, I have never added a mod to any game. I am downloading at present, but please need some instructions on how to apply it. Thanks

CaptainCox
03-25-07, 07:34 AM
OK I will try to do this step by step.

Get the JSGME if you don't have it already "Generic Mod Enabler " http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html

Run the EXE INSIDE your MAIN SH4 folder, it should create a "MODS" folder, if not install again (should do it at 1st try normally)

Put any mods you want (in this case the 360 bearing mod) into the "MODS" folder
and hit JSGME.exe (I have a shortcut in my Start menu) and you should see all mods you dumped in the "MODS" folder now just hit the "ADD" button in the interface and see how the stuff gets loaded in to the right window, when you loaded the mods you want, close. Now all should work as it should.

This a pic from my SH3 JSGME folder as an example
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/Untitled-1-2.jpg

Just pasted this from another thread, but get the JSGME and just follow the instructions and you should be fine.

Banquet
03-25-07, 07:42 AM
Ah, GWX 16k atmosphere. How I would love to have this in SH4! I did try enabling it in SH4 but the colours looked weird.. Actually I'm surprised it worked at all.

Dane
03-25-07, 07:48 AM
Thank you ! That was a very quick response and it is much appreciated. Dane (but also of Swedish and German heritage and proud of them all) in Minnesota

Dude
03-25-07, 08:04 AM
Regarding operating the Radio simply hit the play button, then scan the frequency with the fast forward button, it will then scan automatically till it finds a station and stop there, if you want to go back simply hit the fast reverse button. To turn of the radio hit play again and the "orig" game music will come back.

Yes but in such a way how you know which frequency is which :damn:

For example if u want to choose Washington,or Los Angeles,or Honululu u have to guess???

drewsbu
03-25-07, 08:05 AM
I'm pretty gimpy when it comes to computers, can we have a self extracting mod please? lol

CaptainCox
03-25-07, 08:20 AM

Yes but in such a way how you know which frequency is which :damn:

For example if u want to choose Washington,or Los Angeles,or Honululu u have to guess??? Simply hover with the cursor over the dial like this
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/radio.jpg

The JSGME is self extracting the mod in to the game ;) You just need to install it and follow the simple steps I posted earlier.

Beery
03-25-07, 09:40 AM

I tried this (as I hate a movie style soundtrack when I'm playing a simulation), but it doesn't work. The game crashes to desktop if the Music folder isn't there.

If anyone knows of a fix to this problem please let us know, as this arcade game soundtrack is making me want to scream.

tedhealy
03-25-07, 09:51 AM
Just move or delete the files in the music folder EXCEPT for the music.cfg file.

Beery
03-25-07, 02:09 PM
Ah thanks :)

NipplesTheCat
03-25-07, 02:45 PM
Yes tokyo rose would be very interesting but I havent looked to see if there are even enough recordings of the rose to make it worh while. As far as the range of a shortwave broadcast goes, there are a lot of factors to consider. Mainly what the propogation is like at the time. The sun produces solar flares which affect the ionosphere when they reach earth. So the exact date and time can play a huge role in whether the signal will make it across the globe or only a few hundred miles. Also the amount of power that the perticular station is running, and the type of antenna (directional or omnidirectional) make a difference. And finally,...the freq band that they are using at the time affects range. Shortwave stations often have a fifferent frequency for night time operation then they do for daytime as some freq work best at certain times of the day. If anyone can tell me what station they wpuld like to know the range of I may be able to ballpark it if I had an idea of how much power the station was runni

Dane
03-25-07, 02:52 PM
First, let me again thank you for your assistance. I downloaded as instructed and the generic mod enabler said the radio mod was enabled. Yet I can't get it in the game. First thing is I can only scan thru the radio stations and cannot get it to stop on the 30.0 frequency. It only stops at 22.0 Washington and the end. Any ideas? When downloading this feature (Captain Midnights Mod) I couldn't find any .exe file or a file to extract though I did download a file that was 150,128KB).. Thank you

Looking closer at the file, it is an "RAR" file. Is that correct?

CaptainCox
03-25-07, 04:58 PM
Hm...I am not 100% clear as to what you mean, but if I presume you never opened a RAR file before am i right? I only base this on your statement, so no bad feelings OK. Anyhow you need Winrar in order to "Unrar" that RAR file "unpack" it OK, its whats inside you need to drop in the MOD folder in the game...not the actual RAR.

Hope that helped ;)

Dane
03-25-07, 06:21 PM
I have extracted files that have come "zipped" but this file didn't appear that way. No offense taken, this is new to me though I have been familiar with some applications of computers.. I will search for winrar unless I hear otherwise.

Dane
03-25-07, 07:08 PM
I downloaded a trial version of this program (wonder how long it will remain active?) and extracted the files to the mod enabler. It should work.. Going hunting right now . Appreciate all the help everyone has given me throughout my questions on this forum. Dane

Old Dog
03-25-07, 08:02 PM
Spectacular Captain Cox !
The efforts of the moders here are something to behold.
Anyone working on "Axis Sally" transmitting dire threats to "you pirates on the U.S. Submarine Sculpin" et al ?

Old Dog

Dane
03-25-07, 09:09 PM
Don't know how to thank you enough. With being one of the older game players around here, I had a father and father in law along with many other relatives that fought in WW2. Most of them are gone now but I love the music, commercials and all that goes along with that simple time of life...yet where so many lost their lives. To know that I am listening to the same songs of that era, the same news casts that others did, brings me joy and happiness. Thanks . Dane:p

CaptainCox
03-26-07, 01:18 AM
Well we learn something new every day hey ;) Normally Winrar will keep going forever, at a certain point you might see that it starts to count down before starting, that's all. Glad you like it! There is also many other "Radio" mods coming from other guys here, check out

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108915 by nvdrifter

and

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108950 by tedhealy

and I am sure there will be more to come.

Enjoy and happy hunting.

GSpector
03-26-07, 01:48 AM
Wow, I'm speechless.:o :up:

I'm waiting to upgrade my Video card now before I install SH4. I can't wait to see what other MODs are out by then

Sgian Dubh
03-26-07, 08:22 PM
Wow! Thanks for all of this work!

OneTinSoldier
03-26-07, 10:02 PM
Great mod. Thank you! :sunny:

I seem to get dual broadcasts though. Anyone figured out what's going on what that yet?

Cheers

Beery
03-26-07, 11:22 PM
Yes tokyo rose would be very interesting but I havent looked to see if there are even enough recordings of the rose to make it worh while...

There are a few here (http://www.earthstation1.com/Tokyo_Rose.html) and there's a site that sells MP3s here (http://www.otrcat.com/tokyorose.htm). The free ones are just 'sign-ons' and 'sign-offs' so they could be mixed with music - it seems she basically had a music show - she talks about doing a 'request night', so I'm not sure we'd need a lot. Maybe I'll run off a quick mod with what I can find, if no one else does it first.

melendir
03-28-07, 08:52 AM
Wonderful mod for immersion :)

StandingCow
03-28-07, 09:03 AM
My nipples burst with joy! Thank you! :up: :rotfl:

Ivan Putski
03-28-07, 03:10 PM
Great addition, thanks. Puts:up:

Souleech
03-30-07, 05:24 PM
Great mod. Thank you! :sunny:

I seem to get dual broadcasts though. Anyone figured out what's going on what that yet?

Cheers

Same here, i have two broadcasts at the same time.

CaptainCox
03-31-07, 12:24 AM
That's a prob I know. Until now we could not figure a way to turn of the music when you get the news...One solution might be to drop all the Music files in to the Gramophone and just leave the news files on the radio...gonna fiddle with it today.

clayton
03-31-07, 12:33 AM
Yes tokyo rose would be very interesting but I havent looked to see if there are even enough recordings of the rose to make it worh while...

There are a few here (http://www.earthstation1.com/Tokyo_Rose.html) and there's a site that sells MP3s here (http://www.otrcat.com/tokyorose.htm). The free ones are just 'sign-ons' and 'sign-offs' so they could be mixed with music - it seems she basically had a music show - she talks about doing a 'request night', so I'm not sure we'd need a lot. Maybe I'll run off a quick mod with what I can find, if no one else does it first.

Try this
http://www.radioheritage.net/Story41.asp

http://www.dyarstraights.com/orphan_ann/anorphan.html one wav file

Iron Budokan
03-31-07, 02:26 AM
Superb! :rock:

Souleech
03-31-07, 09:45 AM
That's a prob I know. Until now we could not figure a way to turn of the music when you get the news...One solution might be to drop all the Music files in to the Gramophone and just leave the news files on the radio...gonna fiddle with it today.

Thanks. You`re a plus to the community :up:

CaptainCox
03-31-07, 01:29 PM
Hmmm, tried some different scripts and stuff and NADA!...for now I will just drop the Music in the "Gramophone" and leave the "NEWS" files in the Radio. At least you can switch off the Gramophone when you hear the news coming on.

You can do this manually by first creating a file called "Gramophone" in the "Sound" folder in the "Captain Midnights CBS NEWS Sound Mod" and then copy pasting the mp3 files from:

Data/Sound/Radio/CBS NEWS

to

Data/Sound/Gramophone (the one you just created)

Don't forget to delete the mp3's in the "CBS NEWS" folder after you copied and pasted the stuff.

I will tinker with this on and off, could also be that we will see a fix for this in patch 1.2...lets hope so.

tedhealy
03-31-07, 02:27 PM
The random music overlapping while playing scripted news events should get resolved in a future patch :D Or so a little birdie told me.

CaptainCox
03-31-07, 04:23 PM
WOW u seem pretty connected :p let me on on the news man!

DirtyHarry3033
04-01-07, 11:41 AM
This probably isn't the right place to ask this question, but...

I'd really like to use the CBS News mod, but problem is, both my radio and gramophone are MIA. When I first installed SH4 and the 1.1 patch, both worked. But now when I click the icons, nothing :( No radio interface, no gramophone interface. So I can't use the mod.

Anybody here have a clue how I can get 'em back? Only mods I've put on are the 360 degree bearing plotter and the green toolbar icons. Also made a few new key bindings in Commands.cfg for use with Shoot! Voice Recog program. Don't think any of that would have messed up radio and gramophone.

Thanks for any help!

DH

Ostfriese
04-08-07, 03:54 PM
Really a great radio station, but I've got a problem while using RFB 1.12 at the same time. Starting a campaign early (Dec 1st, 1941) and tuning in works well until Dec 8th. In the evening of the day (close to midnight) SH4 crashes to desktop. It doesn't crash if I simply leave the radio off and/or tune in to another station.

Redfox_77
04-08-07, 04:23 PM
i must say all these mods getting released for sh4 sure makes the game that more fun seems peeps like ya self are the reason so i must say keep up the good work im impressed with the skill involved please excuse my spelling and keep up the good work

Q3ark
04-20-07, 07:10 AM

I suggest changing it by copying the Gramophone noise.wav in the \data\sound directory and pasting it there and then renaming it to Radio_track.wav. It's just loud enough to hear the static to know you've tuned something in and have the radio on, but it won't be so loud that you can hear it during broadcasts.

Hi there, new around here and would appreciate some help. First let me say, great mod really adds to the immersion, but i'm having the same problem as Rykaird. I tried searching for the Radio_track.wav file like tedhealy suggested but cannot find it, eaven did a search of my whole hd to no avail.

P.S. running SH4 with the 1.2 patch, any help would be most appreciated

tedhealy
04-20-07, 10:26 AM

Hi there, new around here and would appreciate some help. First let me say, great mod really adds to the immersion, but i'm having the same problem as Rykaird. I tried searching for the Radio_track.wav file like tedhealy suggested but cannot find it, eaven did a search of my whole hd to no avail.

P.S. running SH4 with the 1.2 patch, any help would be most appreciated
Patch 1.2 introduced a fix. Add

MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

to your [CHANNEL] entry in your radio.ini.

[CHANNEL]
Name=xxxx
Folder=xxx
Freq=xxx
Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:41.00,-76.00:100000
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

CaptainCox
04-20-07, 11:16 AM
Cheers "tedhealy" been to busy at work this week to even start looking at this. You made it so much simpler now :up:

Q3ark
04-21-07, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the pointer. Was looking at that last night but didn't have time to check it out. I guess great minds do think alike :|\\

R3D
04-22-07, 11:08 PM
this mod seems to force My game into a CTD when the mailla attack broadcast air's, happens repeatedly.

Hunter
04-23-07, 01:47 AM
Amazing! Now We can have news broadcast that previously were presented just as short abstarcts in the web! I'am hungry for every additions for this mod!

Rip
04-25-07, 07:21 PM
this mod seems to force My game into a CTD when the mailla attack broadcast air's, happens repeatedly.

Seem to have had it a couple times as well. Patrolling off Luzon from Dec 5th, 1941 and really want to listen to it.:cry:

CDR Resser
04-25-07, 08:16 PM
I have had the same issue with a crash to desktop during a patrol off Luzon on Dec 8, 41. It was a shame really. I had just torpedoed a fine freighter. :arrgh!:

CaptainCox
04-25-07, 08:34 PM
Now that's a weird one...never had that...could be the sound file...as far as I know there is no error in the script.

bruschi sauro
04-26-07, 09:47 AM
WELL DONE MATE:rock: :up:

Bane
04-26-07, 08:29 PM
Absolutely awesome! Thanks much for your efforts!

panthercules
04-26-07, 09:25 PM
So - can't wait to give this one a try, but I have a few questions:

1. Is this working now with patch 1.2 without CTDs, at least for most folks?

2. Do you have to do anything to make this work other than download the file, make the small change to the radio.ini file mentioned in the first post of the thread, and then install via JSGME? (Has all the "moving the MP3s to fix the radio vs grammophone" stuff been done already in the file for download, or do you still need to do that manually?)

3. Is this something that can safely be installed mid-patrol or do you really need to be in port before installing this one?

CaptainCox
04-26-07, 11:59 PM
1. I have been running it since the start, never a CTD...touch wood.
2. That's it, nothing more then adding
[CHANNEL]
Name=CBS NEWS
Folder=CBS NEWS
Freq=30
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

to the radio script. The "music" in the MOD will fade out completly due to the new script.
As to any music on the Gramophone...have not tried that to tell you the truth. I simply use the music in the Radio (MOD).
3.No problem, I think you can safely install mid patrol.

melendir
04-29-07, 07:44 AM
1. I have been running it since the start, never a CTD...touch wood.
2. That's it, nothing more then adding
[CHANNEL]
Name=CBS NEWS
Folder=CBS NEWS
Freq=30
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01
to the radio script. The "music" in the MOD will fade out completly due to the new script.
As to any music on the Gramophone...have not tried that to tell you the truth. I simply use the music in the Radio (MOD).
3.No problem, I think you can safely install mid patrol.
Same edit, no CTD, and I will knock the wood too just to be sure :D

CaptainCox
05-09-07, 03:01 PM
OK just had a PM from "rfbranch" saying he gets CDT's when starting on the 8th of Dec 1941. This seems to happen right after the "Report on Manila Bombings". I confirmed that it actually does CTD and i can only recommend to delete that file from the mod + the line in the "events.ini"
[EVENT]
StartDate=08.12.1941
StartTime=18.00.00
MediaFile=1941-12-080009NBCBBertSilanReportsManilaBombing.mp3
for now.

Will look in to it, could be that the sound file is corrupt or what have you.

CaptainCox
05-09-07, 03:45 PM
OK i think/hope I fixed it. I replaced the sound file with a new (same broadcast) and also added another one 4h later on the same topic.
1st broadcast 13:00 8th Dec 1941
2nd broadcast 17:00 8th Dec 1941

README
Manila Bombing Raid fix for
Captain Midnights CBS NEWS Sound Mod
Made by CAPTAIN COX
Simply drop the two mp3 files and the events.ini script in to
Captain Midnights CBS NEWS Sound Mod\Data\Sound\Radio\CBS NEWS\Events
I hope this fixes it, it did for me.

If there is still probs, please post here!.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://files.filefront.com/Manila_Bombing_Raid_Fixrar/;7471658;/fileinfo.html (http://files.filefront.com/Manila_Bombing_Raid_Fixrar/;7471658;/fileinfo.html)

Just some info, i will most likely update this mod anyway towards the weekend. Got some more "News as it Happens" in stock for ya all ;)

rfbranch
05-09-07, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the quick action! I will take a look at this tonight.

~rb

TripleDaddy
05-09-07, 05:18 PM
Is there a way to completely drop out the music volume when the news comes on? Given the audio quality of some of the news clips, it makes it difficult to hear what they are saying.

vindex
05-09-07, 09:40 PM
The only time I ever got CTD on SH4 it was due to an incorrect audio entry in the events file. I think I put .wav in the entry, when it should have been .mp3. It tried to look for the file, couldn't find it, and freaked out. It was a pretty easy fix, but obviously if you have a lot of event entries you have be careful.

CaptainCox
05-09-07, 11:34 PM
Is there a way to completely drop out the music volume when the news comes on? Given the audio quality of some of the news clips, it makes it difficult to hear what they are saying.[CHANNEL]
Name=CBS NEWS
Folder=CBS NEWS
Freq=30
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

This line controls the music volume during news "MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01 "

The only time I ever got CTD on SH4 it was due to an incorrect audio entry in the events file. I think I put .wav in the entry, when it should have been .mp3. It tried to look for the file, couldn't find it, and freaked out. It was a pretty easy fix, but obviously if you have a lot of event entries you have be careful.
Yea I thought something like that was the problem to. But the faulty file actually played and after it finished...maybe 4-10 sec in to the "music" after the news it CTDed.

rfbranch
05-10-07, 08:58 AM
Apologies for not replying last night, but I was able to run through the 8th and the Manila bombing file without a CTD. Thanks for the fix!

~rb

TripleDaddy
05-10-07, 09:53 AM
Is there a way to completely drop out the music volume when the news comes on? Given the audio quality of some of the news clips, it makes it difficult to hear what they are saying.[CHANNEL]
Name=CBS NEWS
Folder=CBS NEWS
Freq=30
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

This line controls the music volume during news "MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01 "

Ahaa! I had typed MusicValueOnNews. Thanks.

CaptainCox
05-11-07, 07:36 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/Capmidnight77.gif

Added 103 more news events, that's 161 in total!(old version 58)
Added some Captain Midnight radio episodes and some more commercials
Removed ALL! music as I think people have different tastes and there is also the copyright issue.

To add your own music to the CBS Radio channel, simply dump your mp3 files in:
Captain Midnights MORE CBS NEWS! MOD v1,2\Data\Sound\Radio\CBS NEWS

This will add a new radio station to your Submarine Radio.
Tune in to Frequency

and spans from 1941-12-07 to 1945-08-06

(Broadcast times during the day may vary)

1st post updated
DOWNLOAD LINK CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT'S MORE CBS NEWS v1.2:
http://files.filefront.com/CaptainMidnights_MORE_CBS2rar/;7483816;/fileinfo.html (http://files.filefront.com/CaptainMidnights_MORE_CBS2rar/;7483816;/fileinfo.html)

ReallyDedPoet
05-11-07, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the update, this is a hell of a mod:yep:

RDP

Donavan
05-12-07, 03:25 PM
Thanks! :up:

TripleDaddy
05-14-07, 04:28 PM
Um, did you intend to leave the Washington entry out of the radio.ini file?

CaptainCox
05-14-07, 10:32 PM
Oh...hm yea, I thought that ppl could then simply put in other channels to their liking.

XanderF
05-15-07, 12:59 AM
Oh...hm yea, I thought that ppl could then simply put in other channels to their liking.

How well does this work with tedhealy's "multistation" mod? I assume proper radio file editing will get them playing nice together, but...any file overlaps?

CaptainCox
05-15-07, 01:11 AM
Well you have to add this station to your radio script. And they will not overlap, you have to change the station manualy on the radio. If you want to merg them...you have to get in to the actualy "event.ini script" and add all the events from one to the other. And you have to check the events one by one to see that one does not play at the same time as another etc.

Capt. Shark Bait
05-15-07, 05:27 AM
460MB?:o :o :o gonna take almost an hour to get this thing:o . of all the mods out there, i think this one gives SH4 the most atmosphere:rock:

XanderF
05-15-07, 10:11 AM
Well you have to add this station to your radio script. And they will not overlap, you have to change the station manualy on the radio. If you want to merg them...you have to get in to the actualy "event.ini script" and add all the events from one to the other. And you have to check the events one by one to see that one does not play at the same time as another etc.

Do the things in "event.ini" only happen when that station is TUNED...or always?

If the latter, I don't think it'll be a huge issue to just leave the two in parallel. Presuming you both did your research ;) , the news of the events should be in the ballpark of showing at the same time. Some variance in 'breaking news' stories in this time period is perfectly understandable.

TripleDaddy
05-15-07, 10:49 AM

Okey dokey. I use Washington as my music station and CBS News as, well, my news station. The thing that strikes me the most from listening to the broadcasts is how little things have changed.

CaptainCox
05-15-07, 11:15 AM
Do the things in "event.ini" only happen when that station is TUNED...or always?
Only when the station is tuned in...that is unless you port the stuff over yourself and rewrite the .ini

Okey dokey. I use Washington as my music station and CBS News as, well, my news station. The thing that strikes me the most from listening to the broadcasts is how little things have changed. I presume you mean in the world as such...and if so very true. If you mean in the mod...well...

Marko_Ramius
05-16-07, 08:45 AM
Any chance to have an alternative download link for this "must-have" mod ??

This one is so slow :cry: I tried yesterday but i had to give up. I try again today but it is the same pain.. It's like if i was still in 56k :-?

Anyway, thanks to C.Cox for this :up:

CaptainCox
05-16-07, 09:11 AM
Any chance to have an alternative download link for this "must-have" mod ??

This one is so slow :cry: I tried yesterday but i had to give up. I try again today but it is the same pain.. It's like if i was still in 56k :-?

Anyway, thanks to C.Cox for this :up:
Hm, yea sure i could, but will take a while as it will be slow also to upload ;) gimme an h or 2

Marko_Ramius
05-16-07, 09:54 AM
Big thanks to you for this help, mate :up:

Sorry to bother you with such things, though :oops:

CaptainCox
05-16-07, 11:11 AM
Hm still uploading to QuickSharing.com...I will be resilient and keep doing it, but if someone knows of a FREE FILE HOST other then FileFront that can take up to 500MB i would be most humbled :)

And you are not bothering mate, the PC does all the work here ;)

CaptainCox
05-17-07, 01:27 AM
OK went for "MEDIA FIRE" had to split the RAR in to 5 parts. Download all of them before you extract etc.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6yiyjzmfpgo
http://www.mediafire.com/?cf84sjsoosz
http://www.mediafire.com/?3yuwyy1zys2
http://www.mediafire.com/?8znzzi4xyot
http://www.mediafire.com/?5uwtycw19b3

First Post updated!

Marko_Ramius
05-17-07, 03:10 AM
It works alot better :up:

So many thanks, sir :cool:

flymar
05-17-07, 02:26 PM
No music:( That's a pity. The music was makin' all the atmosphere. Well I'm not downloading it.

CaptainCox
05-17-07, 02:28 PM
HM...wow, I thought you ppl would supply your own. I could of course upload a music pack as an addition to this but there is the copyright issue you know! And you could always use the music from the old version ;)

tdean001
05-17-07, 02:29 PM
No music:( That's a pity. The music was makin' all the atmosphere. Well I'm not downloading it.

Flymar-
It is really easy to add music to any of the stations. Simply copy the files that you want into the root directory for the radio station (ie /CBS NEWS/) and they will play randomly until a news event triggers, at which time the music will fade and the news file will be launched.

You can find plenty of sample music files throughout these forums.

Tom

TripleDaddy
05-17-07, 05:04 PM
I presume you mean in the world as such...and if so very true. If you mean in the mod...well...

Sorry, should have been more specific. What I meant was that the broadcasts could have taken place on Sept 11 and they would sound nearly identical. The interruption of Don McNeil's Breakfast Club, the bouncing back and forth between newscasters and "experts", the erroneous reports of eyewitnesses...I just expected a bigger difference between a "modern" radio newscast and one that's 65 years old.

MONOLITH
05-17-07, 06:27 PM
Well I'm not downloading it.

Heh.

There's gratitude for ya.

http://www.MayhemOnStrings.com/Images/harhar[1].gif

ReallyDedPoet
05-17-07, 08:26 PM

Go to your local music store and buy some old 40's music. Most do this, it is the radio stuff that is hard to come by, this is a great mod:up:

RDP

fredbass
05-17-07, 08:30 PM
This mod is permanently in my game. A must have mod for sure.

Thanks CaptainCox

MONOLITH
05-17-07, 09:21 PM
and buy some old 40's music.

I'm going to go check out napster and see what's on there. I'm looking for some "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B" type stuff.

If I find anything, I'll put it up on my server and you guys can have it. :yep:

CaptainCox
05-17-07, 11:47 PM
Here is a pretty good site.
http://www.stelzriede.com/ms/html/sub/mshws.htm#ww2
Scroll down down "Music and other Sound Files"

TheBrauerHour
05-21-07, 09:16 AM
Where the heck have I been to miss this?!!!

This is being downloaded right now. Thank you for making this, it is the very definition of the word 'immersion'!

Knight165
05-21-07, 11:59 PM
Where the heck have I been to miss this?!!!

This is being downloaded right now. Thank you for making this, it is the very definition of the word 'immersion'!

You have no idea!!! This and the radio shows are simply TOP NOTCH!:up:

M.K.
Knight165

MIDWAYman
06-07-07, 09:30 AM
CaptainCox, ace of the deep, I salute you! :D
You did a great work and I just want to thank you for your effort. Absolutely brilliant! :rock: Sailing slowly in the twilight across the East China Sea, far away from safe waters, and listening to the radio news back home and the music of the 40s, now that's an incredible sensation!!! :yep:

ReallyDedPoet
06-07-07, 09:44 AM
Welcome:up: MIDWAYman

RDP

ReallyDedPoet
06-07-07, 09:46 AM
Nice:up:

From that site:

http://www.stelzriede.com/ms/photos/posters/wpu40.jpg

http://www.stelzriede.com/ms/photos/posters/wpu39.jpg

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

A little of topic, but I could not resist.

RDP

MIDWAYman
06-07-07, 01:37 PM
Welcome:up: MIDWAYman

RDP

Ready for duty, Sir!:rock::D :lurk:

Gump
06-07-07, 07:45 PM

Thanks very much for the mod.....That link is awesome too:up:

panthercules
06-07-07, 07:58 PM
I am loving this mod so far, bUT I do have one question - some of the early entries seem to jump the gun a bit - e.g., getting news about Pearl Harbor the day before it actually happens (Dec 7th in Manilla, but it was Dec 8th in Manilla when it was Dec 7th in Hawaii), and ads for war stamps or bomber club members or something before the war has even started. Probably only an issue 'cause I started my patrol on Dec 1st, but is there any way to back things up by a day or so at the beginning?

I noticed I get the radio report (written, on the game's log clipboard) from CINCPAC about the attack on Pearl too early as well - I don't know if that's related to the mod or part of the stock game, so I don't know if this timing thing is a function of the mod or just something the devs didn't take into account when doing the time coding (like they seem to have disregarded/neglected local time in general).

Obviously a trivial point, but if it's something that can be fixed easily, what the heck. Great mod though - thanks for all the work putting this together - really looking forward to hearing the new stuff as the war progresses. :rock:

ReallyDedPoet
06-07-07, 08:11 PM
Welcome:up: Gump

RDP

Monica Lewinsky
06-07-07, 08:31 PM
this mod RULES, darn good. enjoyment from it is 11 on a scale of 1-10.

MIDWAYman
06-18-07, 10:00 AM
Hi, I think I need some help with the version v1.2. I've installed it as usual, exactly the same way as v1.0 (CAPTAIN_MIDNIGHTS_CBS_RADD), but I cannot hear anything.:hmm: Did I do something wrong? Can anyone help me? :) Thanks a lot.

LukeFF
06-18-07, 10:08 AM
Yep, this is an excellent mod. I was actually singing along to "Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition" the other night (it's part of the mod).:doh: That, and they sure liked those cigarrete ads back then, lol.

CaptainCox
06-18-07, 12:32 PM
Praise the Lord really does stick!!!. I played it for the guys at work, and we all chipped in singing it in the end...BRILLIANT!

Payoff
07-21-07, 03:58 PM
I finally downloaded this puppy, and it is worth every meg. Great mod CC.

P.S. I was just on the prowl in Dec 1943 listening to FDR's Christmas eve fireside chat, when about 3/4 through I hear Brittany Spears (I think) :huh: playing in the background. Sounds like a Midi keyboard dubbed in. Anyway the file is 1943-12-24 FDR Fireside Chat. I just edited that part out of my Mp3.

Cheers

leovampire
07-21-07, 06:12 PM
details are definatly your speciality that make this sim/game 100 times more worth playing and experiencing than originaly intended.

I feel sorry for all the other new games that come out because face it nothing goes into the details that this one does with all the mod's people like you make!
Which just makes the replay value go over the top experiencing all the new work and changes everyone makes!

oilburner
07-22-07, 08:29 AM
Is there a way to get rid of the squelching? noise...I'm talking about the noise that sounds like somebody is trying to tune the station in.

CaptainCox
07-22-07, 01:04 PM
Look in
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Sound\Radio
File is called
noise.OGG

oilburner
07-22-07, 03:52 PM
Thanks!

One more question, can somebody explain the values in the Antenna section?

[CHANNEL]
Name=CBS NEWS
Folder=CBS NEWS
Freq=30
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

I'm assuming the 1st part is the valid daterange for the station (1/1/1930-1/1/2000???) and I believe the last one is the range of the station (100000miles??) but what are the values in the middle (in this case the 34.05 and -118.22)??

Von Manteuffel
07-22-07, 05:55 PM
The figures represent:

Date from which station first available dd.mm.yyyy to the date on which station closes down, again, dd.mm.yyyy

After the first colon come latitude (degrees. minutes ) and longitude (degrees.minutes) of the place the station transmits from.

The last figure ( after the second colon ) is the transmission range of the station. 100000 is worldwide.

Please see tedhealy's posts for more details.

CaptainCox
07-23-07, 12:31 AM
I finally downloaded this puppy, and it is worth every meg. Great mod CC.

P.S. I was just on the prowl in Dec 1943 listening to FDR's Christmas eve fireside chat, when about 3/4 through I hear Brittany Spears (I think) :huh: playing in the background. Sounds like a Midi keyboard dubbed in. Anyway the file is 1943-12-24 FDR Fireside Chat. I just edited that part out of my Mp3.

CheersJust checked it, and its correct. what a BUMMER, it starts sort of towards the end of the transmission. I just deleted it. Thanks for the heads up man!

TopCat
07-23-07, 07:23 AM
The figures represent:

Date from which station first available dd.mm.yyyy to the date on which station closes down, again, dd.mm.yyyy

After the first colon come latitude (degrees. minutes ) and longitude (degrees.minutes) of the place the station transmits from.

The last figure ( after the second colon ) is the transmission range of the station. 100000 is worldwide.

Please see tedhealy's posts for more details.

So, negative longitude means West and negative latidute means south, that means in the mentioned example 34 degrees North and 118 degrees West? So that would be Los Angeles, is that correct?

And the range (100000), is this in miles or kilometers?

Spruence M
07-27-07, 04:07 PM
The Radio Mods were the first ones that I downloaded back when they were first available. I cannot tell you how much fun it is to go on patrol and hear the messages from the era, and that my girlfriend can't stand them. :yep:

A question I have is, during my surface attacks on single merchants, I would like the radio to compete with the deck gun so I don't have to turn it off or strain to hear it over the other combat noises. Is it possible somewhere to edit the volumn of the incoming transmission? It seems like it is pretty low.

Thanks for the work.

LukeFF
07-27-07, 04:59 PM
A question I have is, during my surface attacks on single merchants, I would like the radio to compete with the deck gun so I don't have to turn it off or strain to hear it over the other combat noises. Is it possible somewhere to edit the volumn of the incoming transmission? It seems like it is pretty low.

You can either bump up the volume in the sound settings panel (if it isn't already) or manually increase the volume in each file in a sound editor. Tedious, but it would work.

Spruence M
07-28-07, 02:10 AM
Thank you for your answer. Unfortunatly, my voulmn is all the way up in game, and I don't enjoy tedious...

Thanks again for the help.

Rotor
07-28-07, 05:07 PM
Hi, I think I need some help with the version v1.2. I've installed it as usual, exactly the same way as v1.0 (CAPTAIN_MIDNIGHTS_CBS_RADD), but I cannot hear anything.:hmm: Did I do something wrong? Can anyone help me? :) Thanks a lot.

In VISTA run the jsgme as adminstrator this way the mods gets enabled!

Von Manteuffel
07-29-07, 02:55 AM
Thank you for your answer. Unfortunatly, my voulmn is all the way up in game, and I don't enjoy tedious...
It doesn't have to be tedious. Since all the files are Mp3 you can use MP3 Gain to normalise them all to a higher level in one go.

If you tweak the files very high, you'll have to put up with an amount of audio clipping, but since we're dealing with old radio broadcasts, heard against a background of the ambient noise of the sub, the sea etc. and ( in real life) often transmitted from hastily and live cut 15-inch transcription discs, it's never bothered me.

You can batch normalise the entire CBS Radio events.ini contents in situ.

It might be worth your checking it out.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

And, of course, you can always use the INSTANT RADIO G.I. Jive tracks as random tracks in the CBS folder, giving you constant radio, with the Cap'n.s scripted broadcasts interrupting the delicious G.I. Jill. You can find them here.

http://sh.xset.co.uk (http://sh.xset.co.uk/)

StevenLohr
07-29-07, 02:34 PM
Is there an "Uber Radio Mod" that incorporates the various radio stations that have been produced, ie, the Saigon, CBS, NBC, Japanese, etc into a single package? If not, is there a single listing of the download sites for all of the Radio Mods?
Thanks in advance,

Von Manteuffel
07-29-07, 03:57 PM
There's no "Uber Radio" mod, but there are quite a few stations available. Apart from CaptainCox's CBS News mod, tedhealy created several stations dedicated to carrying editions of single programmes (e.g. Abbott & Costello, Burns & Allen, Bob Hope, Jack Benny etc. )

I think Ted's experienced some problems with Filefront. Best thing to do is a search in the mods forum for "radio" That should turn up most of what is available.

The problems with an UBER MOD are:
1. File size. Even at the tightest compresssion (16kbs) 30 minutes of radio still use around 3.4 Mb.
2. Merging the event.ini of each station.

The biggest problem with scripted stations ( where the events.ini is used to set programmes to broadcast at a set time on a given date ) is that if you save the game - when you resume, the radio begins its schedule of transmsissions back from the date of the beginning of the mission, not the in-game date where you saved the game.

I think people are moving away from scripted stations - except Captain Midnight's CBS station, which scripts news broadcasts - and towards simply putting the music, or programmes they like into station folders, where they are played at random.

That's the idea behind my GI JIVE tracks. They play randomly, but sound like a continuous radio programme.

WilhelmSchulz.
08-27-07, 10:41 PM
COX! Why did you remove the music! Yes people have diffrent tastes but if they dont like it then they dont have to use it!. Also I think coppyrights only apply to use for monatary gain.

Von Manteuffel
08-28-07, 02:50 PM
Sorry to contradict, Herr Kaleun, but copyright applies to any and all uses, copying, or transmissions, irrespective of purpose, or monetary considerations.

If you want copyright-free music, please try here

http://sh.xset.co.uk/

cowboys98
10-20-07, 12:01 PM
would this cbs mod conflict if you have trgger maru mod install?

Digital_Trucker
10-20-07, 01:01 PM
radio mods don't conflict with any other mods.

metroman
11-12-07, 01:22 PM
Sorry to bring this up again, but I still am getting the CTD when the Manila is being Bombed news is being aired. :cry: I DL the fix from a few pages back but still get the CTD. It seems to happen at the same point, just after the announcer starts in about Oahu under martial law, I think. The only mods I have are RSRD, 360 plotter, the new medals. FWIW, the date is Dec. 13 in the game, so shouldn't the manila being bombed be old news at that point or does this mod not synch with the date. I Love it otherwise! any ideas?

TIA,
Brian

Digital_Trucker
11-12-07, 01:31 PM
What fix are you referring to? If you mean the RadioStationManager it should take care of not only the CTD (if it is indeed from the radio mod) and the "old news" bug.

leovampire
11-12-07, 03:32 PM
What fix are you referring to? If you mean the RadioStationManager it should take care of not only the CTD (if it is indeed from the radio mod) and the "old news" bug.

He put out a file that fixed that problem and it should be posted on the same page as the radio mod download. I have not had a problem with the mod since the fix he posted.

metroman
11-12-07, 04:15 PM
Just tried it again, this time I waited another two days before turning on the radio on Dec. 15. It plays the 'Manila Bombed' piece before CTD still. I went back and double checked the notes from the 'fix', it appears to be right:hmm: .

Are the bulletins/news reports supposed to synch with the date in the game? It's a week after the start of the war and I get the same 'Manila Bombed' clip everytime I turn on the radio.:damn:

I love what I've heard so far, think the world of the mods on here, but wish I could figure this out...

TIA,
Brian

Digital_Trucker
11-12-07, 04:21 PM
Check out the RadioStationManager (link in my signature). It will identify any media file problems and can solve the "old news" bug, which is the cause of you hearing the Manilla Bombed news at the wrong time.

leovampire
11-12-07, 04:25 PM
Just tried it again, this time I waited another two days before turning on the radio on Dec. 15. It plays the 'Manila Bombed' piece before CTD still. I went back and double checked the notes from the 'fix', it appears to be right:hmm: .

Are the bulletins/news reports supposed to synch with the date in the game? It's a week after the start of the war and I get the same 'Manila Bombed' clip everytime I turn on the radio.:damn:

I love what I've heard so far, think the world of the mods on here, but wish I could figure this out...

TIA,
Brian

That mod can help you set up your game so that all messages and radio programs only happen once per patrol. Maybe that will help you out.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119896&highlight=radio+manager

mike27466
05-16-08, 09:39 AM
Hi,
Can anybody please help me out as I cannot get this radio mod to work!!

Where is the radio!!! in the sub! ,I have installed the mod ,installed the js what ever thingy majigy other mod installer...

I activated this radio mod in the js thingy majiggy mod what ever it is called.

I;m spent an hour trying to get this mod to work.

any ideas ,can someone please give a step by step precedture to getting this to work!!

thanks mike

Digital_Trucker
05-16-08, 01:20 PM
Welcome to subsim, Mike:D You say you can't find the radio? If you aren't using any of the mods that change what your orders bar looks like, you can click on the radar station tab and then click the button that looks like a radio. If you hover your mouse over the button, a tooltip should appear that says "Activate radio" or something to that effect. When you click on the button a graphic of a radio appears. On it are buttons to turn the radio on, off and to go up or down the frequency dial. Click the on button, then just hover your pointer over an empty area on the radio and it will tell you what frequency you are on (probably 20 to start with). Then click the up or down buttons to get to the frequency that you want.

If you're going to do much in the way of adding radio stations to your game, consider installing the radio station manager (link in my signature). It will make adding and using radio stations much easier as well as handle the "same old news" bug that happens when you load a game saved while at sea and allow you to correct any problems with radio stations that can cause CTDs.

Don't forget to check out the other fine radio station mods (take a look in the list of mods stickied at the top of the forum).

Charlie901
05-16-08, 01:35 PM
Question:

How do you determine the radio station locations?

I know it's possibly in Lat/Long Coordinates but it doesn't seem to make sense in viewing the Radio.ini file log...

Some of the coordinates are in negative numbers and don't seem to coorespond to Lat/Long coordinates... Plus the SH4 Editor has no Lat/Long grid map overlay so how do you find a location for a station point...:hmm:

I would like to add some additional stations to the map.

Could someone please explain?

Thanks!

fred8615
05-16-08, 02:32 PM
Using the Washington station as an example, this is the line dealing with location:

Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:38.9,-77.02:100000

The 38.9.-77.02 is the latitude and longitude of the station. It's written strictly in degrees and fractions of degrees, so 38.9 is 38 degrees, 54 minutes north of the equator. If it was south, you would need a minus sign in front.

Longitude is minus if it's east of 180 degrees. If it's west, leave the minus sign off. Note this system is backwards from the usual system of using the Prime Meridian (0 degrees), but since we're in the Pacific in this game, it's easier to use 180.

Charlie901
05-16-08, 06:23 PM
Using the Washington station as an example, this is the line dealing with location:

Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:38.9,-77.02:100000

The 38.9.-77.02 is the latitude and longitude of the station. It's written strictly in degrees and fractions of degrees, so 38.9 is 38 degrees, 54 minutes north of the equator. If it was south, you would need a minus sign in front.

Longitude is minus if it's east of 180 degrees. If it's west, leave the minus sign off. Note this system is backwards from the usual system of using the Prime Meridian (0 degrees), but since we're in the Pacific in this game, it's easier to use 180.

Super, thanks.

How do you get the Lat/Long of a particular position though. There seems to be no way to get the Lat/Long Grid to overlay in the Editor.

Do you get the position in game on the Nav Map or do you use real world positioning.

mike27466
05-17-08, 01:30 AM
[quote=Digital_Trucker]Welcome to subsim, Mike:D You say you can't find the radio? If you aren't using any of the mods that change what your orders bar looks like, you can click on the radar station tab and then click the button that looks like a radio. If you hover your mouse over the button, a tooltip should appear that says "Activate radio" or something to that effect. When you click on the button a graphic of a radio appears. On it are buttons to turn the radio on, off and to go up or down the frequency dial. Click the on button, then just hover your pointer over an empty area on the radio and it will tell you what frequency you are on (probably 20 to start with). Then click the up or down buttons to get to the frequency that you want.

If you're going to do much in the way of adding radio stations to your game, consider installing the radio station manager (link in my signature). It will make adding and using radio stations much easier as well as handle the "same old news" bug that happens when you load a game saved while at sea and allow you to correct any problems with radio stations that can cause CTDs.

Don't forget to check out the other fine radio station mods (take a look in the list of mods stickied at the top of the forum).[/quote

Thanks for your support and thanks for welcoming me ... I installed the RSM ,even got the freqencies in the RSM ,but i cant get the radio to work in the radar room .

I placed my mouse point over the radio but nothing happens ,nothing highlights ,i do have uboat missions installed ,would that be cauusing the problem

cheers mike:-?

THE_MASK
05-17-08, 02:54 AM
download captain midnights cbs news http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108756 then install via JSGME

click on the rsm icon you have put in your silent hunter main page . The radio button is on your hud buttons on the bottom of the screen . Once you have the radio appear click the arrows to go to the correct frequebcy etc .

Digital_Trucker
05-17-08, 09:22 AM
Mike, that sounds strange, but everything about computers is strange, so no surprise. You say that you moused over the radio button, but did you click on it? If so and the radio did not appear, then something is wrong either with your installation or because of screen resolution.

What resolution do you run the game at? If it is a high resolution, have you tried running at a lower one (like 1024 x 768) to see if it shows up then?

Also, what other mods do you have installed?

Hylander_1314
05-17-08, 11:48 AM
Works great! Added some WWII era tunes, and it sounds fantastic!

mike27466
05-18-08, 06:12 AM
Mike, that sounds strange, but everything about computers is strange, so no surprise. You say that you moused over the radio button, but did you click on it? If so and the radio did not appear, then something is wrong either with your installation or because of screen resolution.

What resolution do you run the game at? If it is a high resolution, have you tried running at a lower one (like 1024 x 768) to see if it shows up then?

Also, what other mods do you have installed?

I cant understand it!!! my res is 1024x768 32bit the radio just dosnt have no function what so ever ,i can use the radar and hydrophone ,and they highlight when i place mouse point over them i even can use them by the buttons on the bottom menu ,but there is no buttons for the radio and no function for the radio ...

Very frustrating as i know the sounds mods are very good.

If you say that the radio has its own buttons in the menu then my game deferetly dont have them.

I have uboat missions installed would that be the cause of the disabling of the radio...

Digital_Trucker
05-18-08, 09:39 AM
Mike, my bad on the location of the radio button. I've changed my orders bar so many times, I'd forgotten where the radio button was originally. I had to go back to my stock install that I saved to find it again:rotfl: In the 1.4 stock version, it's on the camera tab. Don't know if that changed in 1.5 (U-Boat addon) or not. If it's not there, look around on all the tabs.

mike27466
05-19-08, 06:24 AM
Mike, my bad on the location of the radio button. I've changed my orders bar so many times, I'd forgotten where the radio button was originally. I had to go back to my stock install that I saved to find it again:rotfl: In the 1.4 stock version, it's on the camera tab. Don't know if that changed in 1.5 (U-Boat addon) or not. If it's not there, look around on all the tabs.

Thanks for that! I got the radio sounds working they sound great and I look forward to listen to those broadcasts on my missions now...

I have standard sh4 installed what would you sugest the best mods to install to bring up the best out of sh4... there are so many mods out there it makes ya head spin...
but i only want to download the ones worthwhile as i have a capped internet connection ...

thanks again cheers mike:lol:

Digital_Trucker
05-19-08, 08:14 AM
Glad you got it working, Mike:rock: As far as mods go, I would definitely want to install one of the environmental mods (ROW PE or Env Mod whatever number it's up to now). To me, RSRDC and NSM are must haves also, but so much is going on now that the add-on (also known as version 1.5) is out that it's difficult to keep up with what's available for 1.4 and what is 1.5 only. I believe that, eventually, the only mods supported are going to be the mods that don't depend on the game verison and the mods that are compatible with 1.5.

Best thing to do is a whole lot of reading of the stickys at the top of the forum to see what the mods are all about and whether they sound like something you want. Definitely need to play for a while with the stock game, too, so you can see what you like and what you don't like in order to figure out what you want to change.

mike27466
05-19-08, 08:37 AM
Glad you got it working, Mike:rock: As far as mods go, I would definitely want to install one of the environmental mods (ROW PE or Env Mod whatever number it's up to now). To me, RSRDC and NSM are must haves also, but so much is going on now that the add-on (also known as version 1.5) is out that it's difficult to keep up with what's available for 1.4 and what is 1.5 only. I believe that, eventually, the only mods supported are going to be the mods that don't depend on the game verison and the mods that are compatible with 1.5.

Best thing to do is a whole lot of reading of the stickys at the top of the forum to see what the mods are all about and whether they sound like something you want. Definitely need to play for a while with the stock game, too, so you can see what you like and what you don't like in order to figure out what you want to change.

Cheers thanks for the info ,again i like to thankyou for your help you guys are really friendy and helpful to help out especially for people like me who is new to the simsub community ,its this kind of attitude that makes this community really special...

happy sailing and i look forward in meeting you all in the future..
:smug:

ReallyDedPoet
05-19-08, 08:45 AM
Nice work getting this one going lads :yep:

Have fun with it Mike, it's a great part of SH4.

RDP

fred8615
05-19-08, 09:08 AM
Super, thanks.

How do you get the Lat/Long of a particular position though. There seems to be no way to get the Lat/Long Grid to overlay in the Editor.

Do you get the position in game on the Nav Map or do you use real world positioning.
I have an astronomy program that gives me the long./lat. for cities around the world. However, you can get the coordinates very easily by going to Google or any other search engine, type in the name of the location you want, and then include either the word "latitude" or "longitude" in your search.

pledford
06-17-09, 11:35 AM
The download link seems to be broken, does anyone have ver 1.2?

GSpector
06-17-09, 07:19 PM
The download link seems to be broken, does anyone have ver 1.2?

Ver 1.2 of what?

I have the file CAPTAIN_MIDNIGHTS_CBS_RADD.rar but I'm not sure of the Version #

Segwin
12-16-09, 07:23 PM
Anyone know where this can be found? Links are dead/broken.

Thanks!

ReallyDedPoet
12-16-09, 09:22 PM

Thanks!

Here:Captain Midnight (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1309)

From the SUBSIM Downloads Section, under Sound FX.

Munchausen
12-17-09, 08:52 PM
Make sure you download and use this one too:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=592

It will keep radio files from borking your campaign.

WitoldGritz
12-20-09, 05:24 AM
and spans from 1941-12-07 to 14-08-1945

IT DOESNT WORK!
NO LIVE EVENTS JUST COMERCIALS ALL THE WAY :down:

WitoldGritz
12-20-09, 05:39 AM
where is EVENTS.INI in this "MOD"?
Without it no news played and i cant see one then extracted??

Webster
12-20-09, 03:37 PM

Thanks!

i added a working link at the bottom of the mod post

Bridger
03-18-10, 11:25 AM
Ive just tried downloading this mod and it keeps stopping and closes before its fully downloaded????......any ideas? :cry:

Munchausen
03-18-10, 04:58 PM
:hmmm: Anybody fix the bug in this program yet? If not, make sure you download and use the Radio Station Manager ... or you will eventually find yourself asking about a very, very old problem.

Calbeck
12-22-12, 05:58 PM
The "new link" is now a dead link, too.

FartVader
01-28-13, 03:30 AM
Would also like to try this one out. Links are dead.

Sailor Steve
01-28-13, 10:47 AM
If you had read the thread you would have found these posts on the page just before this one:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1220642&postcount=173
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1221198&postcount=174

Jynx
01-30-13, 05:08 PM
The thread is 13 pages long. Calm down.

Those links are dead anyway.

Mikemike47
01-30-13, 07:10 PM
If you had read the thread you would have found these posts on the page just before this one:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1220642&postcount=173

The thread is 13 pages long. Calm down.

Those links are dead anyway.
It is true in a way. Post 182 shows subsim links BUT believe it or not, it redirects you to gamefront links that say file is not available. Some DNS problems out there in internet land?

I cleared all my browser history and retried 4 different times. Same errors. I believe I have this file. I will have the time and bandwidth to look into this on February 1st or later. I am very sure I have this file. I will send them to subsim.com. I'll notify Neal files are coming.

GSpector
01-30-13, 08:36 PM
Would these files be the radio shows that we could listen to while subbing? I do not recall the file format but I remember listening to the Superman radio broadcast as well as many other shows, back when I had Silent Hunter on my PC a few years ago.

I would love to get those shows back :yeah:

fred8615
01-31-13, 08:51 AM
Would these files be the radio shows that we could listen to while subbing? I do not recall the file format but I remember listening to the Superman radio broadcast as well as many other shows, back when I had Silent Hunter on my PC a few years ago.

I would love to get those shows back :yeah:
I have the wartime Superman shows in the KHJ Radio Station in my Radio Stations & Music mods, linked in my sig below. Pre-war shows are in the KOTR Radio Station.

GSpector
02-05-13, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was surprised to see that all the shows I wanted were alled lumped togetther, but that's fine. I'll download the 2 bundles and see if I can copy just the shows I want to my favorite directory, so that I can listen to them while I drive around the UK in Euro Truck Sim 2 :up: nd use them with any other sim that allows them to play.

HMCS
02-05-13, 08:40 PM
your links don't work. Could you update the main page?

Thnx

GSpector
02-05-13, 09:16 PM
Odd, the top link worked for me. I had to download each of the KHJ's 17 files seperatly, but they all work and sound great.

HMCS
02-05-13, 10:05 PM
Well, we must be in alternate universes, then. Because gamefront is giving me a file not found error.

GSpector
02-05-13, 10:18 PM
This is the link I used:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ykwl5sqfi4eyk (http://www.mediafire.com/?ykwl5sqfi4eyk)

Try this if you want the shows. For the other files, just go to any post by fred8615 and click on "Radio Stations & Music".

fred8615
02-06-13, 08:46 AM
I think he meant the link for the Captain Midnight mod. He mentioned Gamefront, and I don't have any files there.

Fish40
02-08-13, 09:43 PM
I found the mod here: http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7j.kthVRBlkAni1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0OWtpczV yBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0FDQk0wM185O A--/SIG=13mh7n9ee/EXP=1360406308/**http%3a//gameshadow.com/games/silent-hunter-4-wolves-of-the-pacific/captain-midnights-cbs-radio-mod/ I hope that's what you're looking for.

HMCS
02-11-13, 01:36 AM
That didn't work either.

THIS link

http://files.filefront.com/CaptainMidnights_MORE_CBS2rar/;7483816;/fileinfo.html (http://files.filefront.com/CaptainMidnights_MORE_CBS2rar/;7483816;/fileinfo.html)

redirects me to gamefront. Not sure why.

EDIT: got it. Thanks, guys.

Onkel Neal
02-11-13, 07:58 AM
Mike sent me the zip file containing this mod, I am breaking the files into 4 manageable packages, by year; 1941-42, 1943, 1944, 1945. I should have this up for download this morning.

Question: Do I need to include the radio.ini and events.ini file in each download, and do I need to modify it in any way?

thanks
Neal

fred8615
02-11-13, 09:13 AM
Mike sent me the zip file containing this mod, I am breaking the files into 4 manageable packages, by year; 1941-42, 1943, 1944, 1945. I should have this up for download this morning.

Question: Do I need to include the radio.ini and events.ini file in each download, and do I need to modify it in any way?

Radio.ini no, as long as the readme has the info in it. If you're going to require that all four parts be downloaded and installed to use the mod, then you only need the one events.ini. If the parts can be used separately, then you'll need separate events.ini files.

Onkel Neal
02-11-13, 10:23 AM
Thanks, Fred, I will include the files in all the parts so they can be installed separately. It will be the same ini file in each zip.

Onkel Neal
02-11-13, 11:05 AM
Links removed, files being edited

fred8615
02-11-13, 01:03 PM
Thanks, Fred, I will include the files in all the parts so they can be installed separately. It will be the same ini file in each zip.

The problem with that is, if someone only downloads one part, say the 1941-1942 part, then when they get to 1943, the mod will try to load a file for that year, it won't be there, and the game will crash. I checked the 1941-1942 events.ini and it has the other years in it, so this could happen. You need to at least add a note in the listings for each part that they need to download all four.

Mikemike47
02-11-13, 06:31 PM

thanks
Neal

The problem with that is, if someone only downloads one part, say the 1941-1942 part, then when they get to 1943, the mod will try to load a file for that year, it won't be there, and the game will crash. I checked the 1941-1942 events.ini and it has the other years in it, so this could happen. You need to at least add a note in the listings for each part that they need to download all four.

PM sent to Fred8615 and Neal to speed up time for mod request.
Neal, it is great that you can edit at the first post with the newest download links for the newbie subsimmers. That will save additional posts by newbies concerning legacy downloads and fellow subsimmers not around anymore.

Thanks for both of your help.

GlobalExplorer
03-24-14, 11:06 AM
Could some one upload this mod in a complete form? At least a working events.ini for part 1??

part 1 events.ini contains tons of unresolved media files. It can be repaired with RadioStationManager but that would be a lot of work.

part 2 in "moderation queue" http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=3947

part 3 - 4 ??

Fizwalker
05-05-14, 11:00 AM
Is there any news on the status of the last 3 files for this mod?

I've checked for the file regarding the 1943 time period, but it states that the file is in moderator review.

Thank you in advance.

Mikemike47
05-05-14, 12:40 PM
part 2 in "moderation queue" http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=3947

part 3 - 4 ??

I've checked for the file regarding the 1943 time period, but it states that the file is in moderator review.

Thank you in advance.
Best way to rectify this is to send a PM to the moderators of this forum in the future.

Update: I PM'd the moderators of the fleet boat mods workshop and "Onkel Neal".

Webster
05-05-14, 05:32 PM
just ignore the "moderation queue" thingy and download it, it still downloads just fine.

neal will sort out the moderation tags when he gets a chance to look it over and see what the deal is

Onkel Neal
05-07-14, 10:31 AM
Should be fixed now.

Mikemike47
05-07-14, 01:31 PM

Should be fixed now.

Yes, it works again. Download link works now. Moderation queue error gone.

fitzcarraldo
05-11-14, 09:22 AM
I have the complete package of the Capt. Midnight CBS Radio mod (490 MB aprox.), downloaded some years ago. Version 1.2.

Please, tell me if itīs needed some authorization for upload the pack (in SUBSIM or another server).

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

MANoWAR.U52
10-03-18, 12:25 PM
I am looking for part 3 and 4 for this mod but canīt find it in the downloads area.