PDA

View Full Version : High res

fubar
03-24-07, 11:20 AM
I've just tried the old high res fix for SHIII with SH4 and it works but the game still has the AA problem so it dont look much better but if you wish to try it get it here and follow instructions carefully Display Resolution (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Display_Resolution).
Where it says type SH3 just type SH4, you will also need the Windows application compatibility toolkit.
Its says this res fix is only for windows XP SP2 users.
Now lets hope the dev team fix the AA problem.

Ducimus
03-24-07, 11:54 AM
It's not perfect, but it DOES work. How does one unstill it after the next patch goes live assuming it contains a rez fix?

My assumption is to delete the SDB file, as well as the d3d9.dll and cfg you have to install into the sh4 directory itself.

Gizzmoe
03-24-07, 12:08 PM
Are there any negative side effects?

OneTinSoldier
03-24-07, 12:21 PM
deleted

Ducimus
03-24-07, 12:22 PM
Its a minor improvement really, but its better then nothing. As near as i can tell, your own boat, and things up to a medium distance dont look as fuzzy. Things at far distances look a bit fuzzy, but i don't think its as bad as it was before.

What resolution your going to be able to run is highly dependant on your montior. I have like a 17" CRT, so 4:3 ratio is the best i can do. If i went 8:5, what happends is everything starts looking Taller and narrower because its all being scrunched into a smaller space then it wants.

Gizzmoe
03-24-07, 12:25 PM
I think it actually makes a change to the SH4.exe file
It doesnīt change the exe, the copy protection wouldnīt like that.

Iīve tried it, runs fine at 1600x1200, but, like Ducimus said, itīs only a minor improvement.

OneTinSoldier
03-24-07, 12:38 PM
I think it actually makes a change to the SH4.exe file
It doesnīt change the exe, the copy protection wouldnīt like that.

Iīve tried it, runs fine at 1600x1200, but, like Ducimus said, itīs only a minor improvement.
Ok, roger. I was wrong about that then. I suppose it makes a change to the d3d9.dll then, it makes a change to something I'm sure!

Note to others who might be reading this thread:

If you decide to use the res hack, you won't be able to Alt-Tab out to the Windows Desktop anymore. Just an fyi.

Ducimus
03-24-07, 02:06 PM
I have found a couple other minor issues with using this. The F9 through F11 keys will no longer work (UI bar however continues to work), and if you try and look around the campaign room it will get stuck looking down and to the right. If you don't try looking around from side to side its fine.

On the plus side, i ran the unsinstall on add/remove programs and it didnt seem to do anything for me. So i took the files associated with this "fix", and made a JSGME plugin out of it. If i want slighly better rez, i just enable it, works fine. If i decide that i dont want to run this fix, i just disable it in JSGME, and the game runs like it used to.

Ark
03-24-07, 02:32 PM
I'm not convinced this hack does anything at all for SH4.

2048x1536 looks the same as 1600x1200 which looks the same as 1280x960.

Sorry guys, I think you all are experiencing a placebo effect. lol

Krupp
03-24-07, 03:09 PM
I'm not convinced this hack does anything at all for SH4.

2048x1536 looks the same as 1600x1200 which looks the same as 1280x960.

Sorry guys, I think you all are experiencing a placebo effect. lol

Hmmm. It would be nice to know which way it is. Propably I'll try it myself at some point, but can you fellas confirm does it work or not. Thx.

DragonRR1
03-24-07, 04:39 PM
As far as I can see, and I've tried it several times in different ways.. It has no real affect on the resolution. The most noticable change was the text on the menu screens looked a bit odd. That's all. I've taken screenshots to compare it as well.

I've emailed kegetys but have had no response so far..

bunkerratt
03-24-07, 07:51 PM
the differance is not all that graet but it does work....not as well as for sh3 but it's in and doing a little

DragonRR1
03-25-07, 09:04 AM
the differance is not all that graet but it does work....not as well as for sh3 but it's in and doing a little

I think the difference you are seeing is "some" filtering going on which the SH3 res fix has a setting for. The actual resolution on 2 computers with different specs here doesn't change.