PDA

View Full Version : MultiSH4

Potoroo
03-21-07, 09:55 PM
MultiSH4 Beta is now available from http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~simpsond/SH4/MultiSH4.zip (http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~simpsond/SH4/MultiSH4.zip).

The SH4 save folder structure in FileManager.dll seems to be the same as that for SH3 so the conversion was easy. I realise that there are no SH4 supermods yet but I think MultiSH4 might still be useful for modders. It is a Beta and there is no Readme as it works exactly the same as MultiSH3. If you were comfortable with MultiSH3 and think MultiSH4 might be useful to you then feel free to try it. If you were not comfortable with MultiSH3 or haven't even heard of it then I suggest you leave it alone for the time being.

Constructive criticism is welcomed.

Ragtag
03-21-07, 10:04 PM
link is dead.

novafluxx
03-22-07, 12:41 AM
working for me now

Potoroo
03-23-07, 04:26 AM
I've uploaded MultiSH4 1.0.1 Beta. It should work with both SH4 1.0 and 1.1. I have also included an updated Readme file. Use the link in the first post.

Potoroo
04-02-07, 01:46 PM
Well, nobody's been complaining, which is good. However, I think I'll wait for the 1.2 patch before formally releasing MultiSH4, just in case they decide to change filemanager.dll on me again. I also plan on incorporating the MultiSH4 functionality into the forthcoming SH4 Skipper (see http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=106888).

Potoroo
04-18-07, 10:33 PM
The beta version of MultiSH4 seems to work with 1.2 (Filemanager.dll was not patched again), so I'll set about releasing it.

Jmack
07-19-07, 06:28 PM
im sorry if this is ignorance ... but if you install the game 2 times on to diferent folders dont you get the same result ?

Potoroo
07-19-07, 06:32 PM
im sorry if this is ignorance ... but if you install the game 2 times on to diferent folders dont you get the same result ?
The folder into which you install the game has nothing to do with the folder in My Documents the game uses to store individualised information like careers. IOW, you can install SH4 as often as you want but without MultiSH4 every single one of those game installations will store their user files in My Documents\SH4.

Jmack
07-19-07, 06:34 PM
ahhhh i forgot that detail :doh:

Drebbel
07-29-07, 06:47 AM
Any reason why I can only use 3 characters for the directory name. Would really be nice if that number could be increased.

Should this mod work with SH4 1.3 ?

Potoroo
07-29-07, 08:47 AM
Any reason why I can only use 3 characters for the directory name. Would really be nice if that number could be increased.
It would be nice but it's not going to happen. Increasing the number of characters beyond Ubi's hardcoded limit would change the offset for everything after the save folder name. To put it simply, it would break SH4.

MultiSH4 seems fine with 1.3 to me.

Drebbel
07-29-07, 11:02 AM
It would be nice but it's not going to happen. Increasing the number of characters beyond Ubi's hardcoded limit would change the offset for everything after the save folder name. To put it simply, it would break SH4.

I see, thanks for the explanation.

With VISTA and SH4 1.3 I get the following error message when clicking save in the tool:

"filemanager.dll could not be written"

Could this be a permission problem ? Many times I have noticed in Vista that, although I am administrator, I can not change or edit files. A good example is radio.ini file. I simply am not allowed to edit and save it.

JScones
07-29-07, 07:45 PM
@Drebbel, try right-clicking MultiSH4.exe in Windows Explorer and select "Run as Administrator".

Alternatively, right-click MultiSH4.exe and select "Properties". In the properties window select the "Compatibility" tab and check "Run this program in compatibility mode" and in the box below select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)".

The first solution should work, but if not, try both.

wovik
07-30-07, 08:49 AM
Potoroo,
Thank you very much for this. Just what I needed.

Works fine for me with v1.3.

platounet
11-28-07, 12:03 PM
We need multish4 for SH4 1.4 ! Thanks for your work :up:

ReallyDedPoet
11-28-07, 12:06 PM
Great app. :yep:

RDP

Wilcke
11-28-07, 12:36 PM
Is the maker around....I sent him a PM. Hopefully he will surface. I miss my MultiSH4! Fine utility!

Wilcke

Potoroo
11-29-07, 01:00 AM
MultiSH4 1.0.4 (released 29 Nov 2007) is compatible with SH4 1.4.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~simpsond/SH4/MultiSH4.zip

This is the second time Ubi has changed FileManager.dll for SH4. However, given the improbability of further patches it's probably time I updated the version downloadable from SubSim.

Reaves
11-29-07, 02:37 AM

I see, thanks for the explanation.

With VISTA and SH4 1.3 I get the following error message when clicking save in the tool:

"filemanager.dll could not be written"

Could this be a permission problem ? Many times I have noticed in Vista that, although I am administrator, I can not change or edit files. A good example is radio.ini file. I simply am not allowed to edit and save it.

Definately UAP doing it. If what Jscones said doesn't work try turning UAP off entirely, although that is a pain to do regulary so IMO not an option.

ReallyDedPoet
11-29-07, 09:01 AM

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~simpsond/SH4/MultiSH4.zip (http://homepages.ihug.com.au/%7Esimpsond/SH4/MultiSH4.zip)

This is the second time Ubi has changed FileManager.dll for SH4. However, given the improbability of further patches it's probably time I updated the version downloadable from SubSim.

That did not take long, thanks P :yep::up:

RDP

Trickyfish
11-29-07, 09:47 AM
What does it do?

Trickyfish

ReallyDedPoet
11-29-07, 10:01 AM
What does it do?

Trickyfish
If you have multiple installs of SH4 it allows you to have a seperate save folder for each :yep:

I have a couple, SH4 Career and a test install, so Multi allows meto keep things seperate, easy to install and use as well :up:

RDP

Wilcke
11-29-07, 11:30 AM

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~simpsond/SH4/MultiSH4.zip

Excellent, thank you so very much.:up: There are somethings you just cannot do without and MultiSH4 is one of them.

Wilcke

baxter
11-29-07, 04:21 PM
Thanks, Potoroo!:up:

swdw
11-30-07, 03:00 AM
Multi SH4 rates right up there with JSGME when it comes to allowing you to test.:up:

You have my thanks and admiration Potoroo

DeepIron
11-30-07, 09:15 AM
A big thanks P! Couldn't do without it! :up:

SgtWalt65
03-02-08, 03:09 AM
Apparently SH4 1.4 ( not 1.5 ) has a new file manager DLL again. MultiSH4 no longer works. :cry:

Potoroo
03-02-08, 05:58 AM
Apparently SH4 1.4 ( not 1.5 ) has a new file manager DLL again. MultiSH4 no longer works. :cry:
I'm confused as to which version of what you mean. MultiSH4 1.0.4 is compatible with SH4 1.4. I've just released MultiSH4 1.5 (I've changed its numbering scheme to mirror SH4) which is also compatible with 1.5 (U-boat Missions).

I am having trouble getting the version on the SubSim downloads section updated though. It is still 1.2. I sent MultiSH4 1.0.4 to Neale twice but it bounced both times, so I sent it to the generic SubSim contact address instead. It didn't bounce but it wasn't updated either. I'd like to get 1.5 up but there seems to be an issue at SubSim's end.

As an aside, this is now the third time I've had to patch MultiSH4. I'm beginning to think Ubi doesn't like it.

SgtWalt65
03-02-08, 07:32 AM
I'm confused as to which version of what you mean. MultiSH4 1.0.4 is compatible with SH4 1.4. I've just released MultiSH4 1.5 (I've changed its numbering scheme to mirror SH4) which is also compatible with 1.5 (U-boat Missions).

I am having trouble getting the version on the SubSim downloads section updated though. It is still 1.2. I sent MultiSH4 1.0.4 to Neale twice but it bounced both times, so I sent it to the generic SubSim contact address instead. It didn't bounce but it wasn't updated either. I'd like to get 1.5 up but there seems to be an issue at SubSim's end.

As an aside, this is now the third time I've had to patch MultiSH4. I'm beginning to think Ubi doesn't like it.

Well, thanks for the reply. Only one I am using is the 1.0.4 one for the 1.4 game and all I get is that DLL failure and it closes and its the MultiSH4 1.0.4 one. Not sure why its doing that.:doh:

JREX53
03-02-08, 12:35 PM
Potoroo,

I just downloaded and unzipped the file from the 1st post of this thread and it is version 1.5. I also downloaded the file that is below your signature and that one went to version 1.2.

So people can get version 1.5 of MultiSH4 with the link from the 1st post of this thread.

ReallyDedPoet
03-02-08, 12:37 PM
So people can get version 1.5 of MultiSH4 with the link from the 1st post of this thread.
Yes, just checked out the read me :yep:

RDP

capt_frank
03-02-08, 01:44 PM
In like Flynn!

Thanks! :up: :up:

DeepIron
03-02-08, 01:45 PM
Zango-bango! Works like a charm! Thx P! :up::up::up:

Potoroo
03-02-08, 06:42 PM
I just downloaded and unzipped the file from the 1st post of this thread and it is version 1.5. I also downloaded the file that is below your signature and that one went to version 1.2.
Aaiiee! I should have spotted that ages ago. Fixed now.

Doolittle81
03-02-08, 08:19 PM
I followed the readme for MultiSH4, ran it from the copied over version of SH4. Then I applied the Addon(1.5) on top of my orginal SH4 (1.4). Now I can't get SH4 to play at all...from eitehr copy/version!!

Form another thread where I've been trying to get it resolved:

.....I tried to install the 1.5 Addon. It wouldn't run. Now I can't get any SH4 to run. I cleared the registry...I uninstalled my SH4 (1.4), re-installed the basic SH4 from the original disk and even it won't run....let alone getting a 1.4 or 1.5 patched version to run.

Coincidentally, along the way before the uninstalling of SH4, I had copied over all the SH4 1.4 files to another location/drive as recommended by the Readme for "MultiSH4". I think that application may be the culprit because I ran that "MultiSH4" application just one time, as instructed, to have it set up the new Save Folder, and it caused an immediate 'lockup' Black Screen. and after that , as I said, Nothing works!!!!

Right now, I have NO SH4. !
I've spent the entire afternoon trying to get this fixed.

I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled the basic SH4 from the DVD at least four times.

When I try to start SH4, I get the logo movie and then the Intro movie, then a quick flash of a glitch of some sort and then a Black screen. I can hear the music that plays when you are watching the Main Menu Screen, but I see nothing but black. I have to do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up Task Manager in order to shut down SH4.

Again, this is occurring even with a simple unModded fresh install of the basic SH4 1.0.

This is a horrible mess! I believe it is due to the "MultiSH4" application...which caused the first Glitch today.... I've deleted that application, I thought....but it's been a total mess since then...with or without any Addon or patch. I can't even get the game to Play straight from the original DVD.

I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers, 169.28 even though my 169.25 drivers had been working just fine since installing them months ago. All other Games/Sims on my puter are running just fine.

Any help out there? For starters, I need to get rid of any vestiges of this MultiSH4 application. Ohh, P.S. I've also used Windows "Restore " option to restore my Computer to a time before I started messsing with MultiSH4 and the 1.5 Addon. Didn't help.

skwasjer
03-02-08, 09:05 PM
Sounds like a codec issue to me (and not MultiSH4). Recently installed a codec pack? If yes, uninstall it and try again...

Rockin Robbins
03-02-08, 09:21 PM
I followed the readme for MultiSH4, ran it from the copied over version of SH4. Then I applied the Addon(1.5) on top of my orginal SH4 (1.4). Now I can't get SH4 to play at all...from eitehr copy/version!!
This is a horrible mess! I believe it is due to the "MultiSH4" application...which caused the first Glitch today.... I've deleted that application, I thought....but it's been a total mess since then...with or without any Addon or patch. I can't even get the game to Play straight from the original DVD.

I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers, 169.28 even though my 169.25 drivers had been working just fine since installing them months ago. All other Games/Sims on my puter are running just fine.

Any help out there? For starters, I need to get rid of any vestiges of this MultiSH4 application. Ohh, P.S. I've also used Windows "Restore " option to restore my Computer to a time before I started messsing with MultiSH4 and the 1.5 Addon. Didn't help.[/quote]

So you've done a complete uninstall? I would roll back the Nvidia driver to the one you know works and go with a fresh SH4 install. Patch it to 1.4 and see what you get. If nothing else has changed you should be playing the game. If it doesn't work then you have a codec problem unrelated to MultiSH4.

MultiSH4 does only one thing: it patches SH4 so it uses a different user directory than the default <whatever>\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific. That way you have a different user configuration for each install. You should probably copy all your configuration data from the original directory to the new ones so SH4 has some configuration to find when you start it from one of the new directories.

But I feel your pain. I HATE it when computers get all persnickedy over little stuff. Best of luck bird-dogging the problem down and please let us know what you found when you fix it.

Potoroo
03-02-08, 10:53 PM
OK, there's some scary stuff going on here but I think MultiSH4 is least likely to to blame for the simple reason it does so little.

MultiSH4 patches a file called FileManager.dll. If a problem can be traced back to FileManager.dll then it's fair enough to ask what if any part MultiSH4 had to play. If the problem does not involve FileManager.dll then MultiSH4 is automatically excluded from consideration.

The only thing MultiSH4 does to FileManager.dll is to find and if necessary change the three characters that constitute the hard-coded SH4 save game folder name within My Documents. If you're using an unpatched version of FileManager.dll then those characters will be "SH4", as in "My Documents\SH4". If you've patched it to something like "UBM" then you can check that very simply by running MultiSH4 again and just reading what it reports as the current save file name.

I have copies of every version of FileManager.dll and on my system MultiSH4 works with all of them. If anyone thinks MultiSH4 is causing them a problem then try this test:

1. Create a temporary folder.
2. Copy MultiSH4 1.5 and FileManager.dll into that folder.
3. Run MultiSH4.

If MultiSH4 successfully patches FileManager.dll in that environment then it's easy to see that the problem must lie elsewhere.

Potoroo
03-02-08, 10:56 PM
For starters, I need to get rid of any vestiges of this MultiSH4 application.
Find and delete any copies of MultiSH4.exe in your SH4 game folders. Restore FileManager.dll either from your backup copies or from the .cab file on the installation disk. Later versions of WinZip can open .cab files, I'm not sure about 7zip.

That's it.

03-02-08, 11:03 PM
I'm getting an error saying it cannot patch while sh4 is running, yet I'm not running anything? Any tips kind sir?

Wilcke
03-02-08, 11:04 PM
Working flawlessly here.

Doolittle81
03-03-08, 12:43 AM
Sounds like a codec issue to me (and not MultiSH4). Recently installed a codec pack? If yes, uninstall it and try again...

Have not installed any new codecs...not for many, many many months...

Doolittle81
03-03-08, 02:02 AM
Okay...an Update:

After many attempts at cleaning registry, uninstalling SH4, reinstalling from DVD, I finally got a Working Install of the basic SH4 1.0 Why it took so many tries is beyond me! Computers aren't supposed to act that way....I swear I followed the exact same steps each and every time! A fine Sunday totally wasted!

I then downloaded and installed patch 1.4 It installed with no problems and SH4 vs 1.4 runs okay.

Tomorrow AM I will install the 1.5 Add-On...with fingers crossed. If all goes to hell in a handbasket again, I'll definitely know it is the 1.5 Addon which is at fault. If the Addon works, I'll load all my MANY Mods and Single Missions from my backup folders and be back in Operation...UBoat or Fleet Boat.

IF 1.5 Addon works, I will not risk using the "MultiSh4" application, at this time...even though it would logically not seem to have been the cause of my problem.

Friggin' Computers...like women: Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!

Potoroo
03-03-08, 09:31 AM
I'm getting an error saying it cannot patch while sh4 is running, yet I'm not running anything? Any tips kind sir?
I've only ever had one other person have that problem. I've never been able to replicate it.

For the sake of the exercise open something trivial, like Notepad, then try MultiSH4. Let me know either way.

I suspect something subtle is going on with the way Windows enumerates top-level windows, which is how I find out whether SH4 is running or not. I have an idea of what's going on but it's a mongrel to track down.

03-03-08, 01:27 PM
I've only ever had one other person have that problem. I've never been able to replicate it.

For the sake of the exercise open something trivial, like Notepad, then try MultiSH4. Let me know either way.

I suspect something subtle is going on with the way Windows enumerates top-level windows, which is how I find out whether SH4 is running or not. I have an idea of what's going on but it's a mongrel to track down.

I got it to run, the only problem I've encountered now is I made the seperate (copied) file and patched to the missions 1.5 and now I can't run the old game :damn: , I'm at my wits end....

Potoroo
03-03-08, 07:43 PM
I got it to run, the only problem I've encountered now is I made the seperate (copied) file and patched to the missions 1.5 and now I can't run the old game :damn: , I'm at my wits end....
I don't understand what you mean. What did you copy?

SteveW1
05-12-08, 03:28 AM
Hi I am enquiring if this fine Mod/Program works with the 1.5addon patch yet.

Thanks

Potoroo
05-12-08, 04:32 AM
Hi I am enquiring if this fine Mod/Program works with the 1.5addon patch yet.
MultiSH4 1.5 supports SH4 1.5 (U-boat expansion pack). Get it from the link in my signature. I've tried unsuccessfully several times to get the one in the SubSim downloads section updated.

SteveW1
05-13-08, 02:49 AM
Thanks Potoroo for the reply, have downloaded and can now run RFB alongside TMO.

ivank
05-09-09, 04:46 PM
does it work with SH3?

ReallyDedPoet
05-09-09, 05:31 PM
does it work with SH3?

Don't think it does, Multi SH3 Here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/../subsim_files/patches05/MultiSH3.zip)

Sailor Steve
05-10-09, 04:13 PM
MultiSH4 1.5 supports SH4 1.5 (U-boat expansion pack). Get it from the link in my signature. I've tried unsuccessfully several times to get the one in the SubSim downloads section updated.
Sorry about that. This is the first time I've heard that it wasn't there (even though I downloaded the older version the other day and was complaining that it didn't work with 1.5 :rotfl:).

It's up now:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1110

PM me if you want the readme rewritten to your satisfaction.

SteveUK
12-27-09, 09:22 PM
Hi all

Wonder if anyone can help me please.

Have got a new pc for christmas running Windows 7 and I'm trying to get the multiSH4 towork but all I get id Filemanager.Dll not found and it closes itself down.

Running 1.5 and want an install for both TMo and RFB.

Now I have read other posts regarding windows 7 and have installed the main SH4 folder not in program data but in a seperate folder on the C drive called my games.

Any help would be really appriciated it's driving me nuts :damn:

Thanks a lot all.

Potoroo
12-28-09, 03:07 AM
Have got a new pc for christmas running Windows 7 and I'm trying to get the multiSH4 towork but all I get id Filemanager.Dll not found and it closes itself down.
Try this:

3. Run MultiSH4.

If MultiSH4 successfully patches FileManager.dll in that environment then the problem must lie elsewhere. Of course, you can now copy the patched FileManager.dll over the one in the game folder (remembering to back it up first).

Now I have read other posts regarding windows 7 and have installed the main SH4 folder not in program data but in a seperate folder on the C drive called my games.
MultiSH4 doesn't care where you install SH4 as long as you run MultiSH4 from the game's main folder. It hasn't been tested under Win7, but I wonder if it's hitting a UAC issue because it's attempting to modify a file in \Program Files, which Win7 protects by default.

SteveUK
12-29-09, 06:08 AM
Thanks Potoroo for the quick reply.

Tried that and it worked ok only thing is I cant find where the hell it has put my new folders!!

Thanks again :yeah:

Potoroo
12-29-09, 06:25 AM
Thanks Potoroo for the quick reply.

Tried that and it worked ok only thing is I cant find where the hell it has put my new folders!!

Thanks again :yeah:
The new save game folder will be created when you run SH4.

jeffgordonfan1
04-25-13, 08:26 PM
Try this:

3. Run MultiSH4.

If MultiSH4 successfully patches FileManager.dll in that environment then the problem must lie elsewhere. Of course, you can now copy the patched FileManager.dll over the one in the game folder (remembering to back it up first).

MultiSH4 doesn't care where you install SH4 as long as you run MultiSH4 from the game's main folder. It hasn't been tested under Win7, but I wonder if it's hitting a UAC issue because it's attempting to modify a file in \Program Files, which Win7 protects by default.

I'm trying to use multish4 with the steam version of the game but as soon as I try to open the second copy it says steam error and won't let th game run. Can anyone assist?

BigWalleye
04-26-13, 06:52 AM
I'm trying to use multish4 with the steam version of the game but as soon as I try to open the second copy it says steam error and won't let th game run. Can anyone assist?

Only slightly. AFAIK, multiSH4 doesn't work with the Steam version of the game. I'm pretty sure you can not run multiple copies of the Steam version at all. As they say, it's an unadvertised feature. You can get the DVD at Amazon for six bucks (and if you use the link at the top of this page, SubSim gets a slice). Good choice. Then you will have your own copy of the game and can do anything you want with it.

10-4 24!

jeffgordonfan1
04-27-13, 02:17 PM
Only slightly. AFAIK, multiSH4 doesn't work with the Steam version of the game. I'm pretty sure you can not run multiple copies of the Steam version at all. As they say, it's an unadvertised feature. You can get the DVD at Amazon for six bucks (and if you use the link at the top of this page, SubSim gets a slice). Good choice. Then you will have your own copy of the game and can do anything you want with it.

10-4 24!

I figured out a way to do it!!! I just put my new copy of sh4 in the same folder as the original steam folder so if anyone else has this problem there is a workaround. E.g. For my system I put the new copy in computer/steamapps/common and put it with the rest of my steam downloaded games, ran multish4 and it works like a charm.