SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-13-21, 10:00 AM   #1
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0
Default FOTRS - strange placement of ships.

Jan 1942, I am patrolling the area between Palau and Truk when I come across a Japanese merchant dead in the water which I sink.
Subsequently on my return to Pearl Harbor I came across another Japanese merchant, also dead in the water but this time on fire. This was SW of Oahu and closer to Hawaii than to Wake Is which is held by the Japanese.

Thought that the FOTRS crew might want to know.
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-21, 12:48 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner View Post
Jan 1942, I am patrolling the area between Palau and Truk when I come across a Japanese merchant dead in the water which I sink.
Subsequently on my return to Pearl Harbor I came across another Japanese merchant, also dead in the water but this time on fire. This was SW of Oahu and closer to Hawaii than to Wake Is which is held by the Japanese.

Better placement & reporting of such, would be better done on the MAIN thread, for FotRS-U, don'tcha think... hmmmm....

M. M.
Old 10-14-21, 12:13 AM   #3
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69

Hmmm. I thought all mod-related stuff comes here. So this forum is just for mod development?
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-21, 06:00 AM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Hmmm. I thought all mod-related stuff comes here. So this forum is just for mod development?
Yeah, but think it's best to go on the main thread for the mod in question & ask there, rather than racking out a whole post outside of it & wonder why it takes forever before getting an answer to the gist of the brand new post.. yanno.. savvy...

M. M.
Old 10-14-21, 10:59 AM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

I would say yes it belongs in main thread.

Having said that, I will say it is possible they were attacked by AI units such as submarines since AI subs can fire torpedoes or aircraft but were not sunk .
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-21, 10:22 AM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:

This would be better served on the last page of the mod release thread, since it is part of the development of future versions. As is mentioned, you are not alone in the game with the FotRSU mod, and surface vessels as well as airplanes and other subs can indeed attack "enemy" vessels. As for the proximity to Pearl, if you are near French Frigate shoals, there were indeed attempts for supply vessels, and later submarines, to use French Frigate Shoals as a fuel stop for airplanes bound for Pearl reconnaissance and bombing missions. Most attempts at such failed. Also, there is the shipping from / to Wake to / from Eniwetok and other locations in the Marshalls that might seem close to Pearl.

Now, as to the report, what sub are you in, where did you sail from, what date did you encounter these ships? What were the circumstances encountered? Had you just been sailing through a storm? Did you encounter other Allied assets nearby? What ship was it you encountered dead in the water? There are hundreds of groups in quite a few files in the game, and it is nigh on impossible to find any suspects without some detail to do so with. The 1.46 version should have all ships that go "dead" in the water repaired. However, if you were using v1.39 and updated to v1.46 and did not empty your Save folder, you would still encounter these issues that involved a dozen or more ships like that. Let us know what you know, please!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote