SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #2431
CapnScurvy
General Nuisance
 
CapnScurvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 2,599
Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64


Default

I'm not sure what you guys are doing with the index category of the ships in-game, but if you're thinking you only need to make a new "Type" category and the ship will react to whatever your expecting it should do.....it won't.

When I put some of the BB's, CA's, CL's into the stock indexed Type18=Elite Escort Carrier; Type19=Super Fleet Carrier (renaming as I did the Type18 and Type19 categories), this gave these ships the ability to have scout planes appear from these so called "Air Bases". The reason for the availability of these ships to become Air Bases is due to the Hard Coded game files that tell the game to treat a Type18 or Type19 as an Air Base. Since there are also Type8=Escort Carrier and Type9=Fleet Carrier's in-game, this gives four different "Types" of Warships that can become Air Bases.

Believe me, just deciding to make a fifth category....."Type25" and calling it "Mobil Plane Base" (or whatever), isn't going to make it an "Air Base". The game will only recognize the four "Types" it lists as such. You can call the "Types" (as I did), anything you want.....getting it to do what you want is still determined by the Hard Coded files of the game. We can't change that!


=============

You guys also don't seem to know that to put a ship/plane.....whatever, into a certain group.....either Allied, Axis; American, Brazilian whatever.....you do this through additions to the Roster folders. That's how you get a certain flag to wave over a certain asset, or to get a certain asset to react either friendly or hostile to another (besides some other factors).
__________________


The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:42 AM   #2432
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job
 
propbeanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The Crossroads of Mid-America
Posts: 5,360
Downloads: 286
Uploads: 2


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
It's time!...
...

Issues still remaining:

  • The FOTRS 1.5 campaign makes TMO look like a square dance. It's optimized for multi-player and a single sub will die. Your experience doesn't matter much--great players are dying in testing. This is a challenge mode extraordinaire. It will also be changed.
  • On a very few ships we have missing textures, so you might see a black gun, radar antenna, turret or other. Please report these as you find them.
  • Unfortunately, we've had to disable CapnScurvy's seaplane launcher escorts for now. It will make a triumphant return on a later release.
  • ...
  • ...
So start the stopwatch! Our goal is to go public beta next week...
So, do NOT add-in ANY of the Campaign and / or other MIS files I've tweaked on over the last few weeks, else there'll be calls for Type=18 and Type=19 Axis ships that will attempt to launch planes, and mis-matched Type=4 DD and DE vessels. They could potentially render the Campaign and / or MIS file inoperative at best, but have the potential to crash your computers to black screen CTD instead. It looks like, but needs to be confirmed that s7rikeback has the NDEAkikaze back to Type=2 and the NDDMinekaze, NDDMomi, NDDMomiII and NDDWakatake back to Type=3, which was the original setting in FotRS, all of which simulated the IJN's downgrading of their older "Destroyer-type" vessels prior to the outbreak of war...
__________________

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:50 AM   #2433
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job
 
propbeanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The Crossroads of Mid-America
Posts: 5,360
Downloads: 286
Uploads: 2


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I'm not sure what you guys are doing with the index category of the ships in-game, but if you're thinking you only need to make a new "Type" category and the ship will react to whatever your expecting it should do.....it won't.

When I put some of the BB's, CA's, CL's into the stock indexed Type18=Elite Escort Carrier; Type19=Super Fleet Carrier (renaming as I did the Type18 and Type19 categories), this gave these ships the ability to have scout planes appear from these so called "Air Bases". The reason for the availability of these ships to become Air Bases is due to the Hard Coded game files that tell the game to treat a Type18 or Type19 as an Air Base. Since there are also Type8=Escort Carrier and Type9=Fleet Carrier's in-game, this gives four different "Types" of Warships that can become Air Bases.

Believe me, just deciding to make a fifth category....."Type25" and calling it "Mobil Plane Base" (or whatever), isn't going to make it an "Air Base". The game will only recognize the four "Types" it lists as such. You can call the "Types" (as I did), anything you want.....getting it to do what you want is still determined by the Hard Coded files of the game. We can't change that!


=============

You guys also don't seem to know that to put a ship/plane.....whatever, into a certain group.....either Allied, Axis; American, Brazilian whatever.....you do this through additions to the Roster folders. That's how you get a certain flag to wave over a certain asset, or to get a certain asset to react either friendly or hostile to another (besides some other factors).
Good Morning CapnScurvy, the attempted use of Type=21 is an experiment in attempting to get a US SubTender cloned for the IJN side, to display a Rising Sun Warship flag. We can get things to work OK with Type=100 for Replenishment, but the vessels carry a Merchant meatball flag. No attempt has been made to add any more vessel Type= for an "Air Base". Sorry for the confusion. You may have seen the post where I joked about adding in Dirt Bikes and A-10 Warhogs... ??

Now, the list is hard-coded, but the naming scheme is "mod-able", correct? That's how you changed the names of 18 and 19, right? Can you explain how the use of Type=21 allowed the showing of a warship flag on the cloned vessel? Do you happen to know if there are available "slots" in the list, above what Stock SH4 shows in Names.cfg?...
__________________

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:13 PM   #2434
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DeLand, FL
Posts: 8,909
Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52


Default

And 0.27 doesn't contain any of the ship type experiments. It should be pretty rock solid. The ship type craziness will result in some deadlier enemies with interesting effects. When it's all coordinated it will be added.

We've concluded that the FOTRS 1.5 campaign is not workable. A new scheme is being worked on and should be possible now that we have the errors out of the ships.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #2435
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All
 
cdrsubron7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 2,358
Downloads: 292
Uploads: 1


Default

Just a few quick observations about the v.27 Beta that I've seen so far.

The ME opens with no errors in the Platform Library.

I'm able to get the Museum to function, but only after I uncheck the Read-Only box in the properties of the sh4.exe, then I can get the LAA to work and then Museum to work.

While looking at he Japanese ships I've noticed that there is two ships with the name Toro Moro shown. One is listed as Toro Maru Class and the other is named Toro Maru. have I missed something or is this a duplication.





The last thing I've noticed that after I install the Maru Mod 0.26c that the IJN SubTender disappears from the Museum.

This is all I've had time to get into so far today.
__________________



Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines




Last edited by cdrsubron7; 10-31-2016 at 03:57 PM.
cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:25 PM   #2436
s7rikeback
I break things
 
s7rikeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 537
Downloads: 795
Uploads: 6


Default Toro Maru Class

cdrsubron7,

Can you narrow down as to what ship's are carrying the Toro Maru names please, all my saved data is showing is the
JPAuxCruiser=Toro Maru Class
Is the only ship named as thus. I will keep checking.
__________________


s7rikeback's - Silent Hunter Mod Collection

War knows no nation
s7rikeback is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:46 PM   #2437
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All
 
cdrsubron7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 2,358
Downloads: 292
Uploads: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
cdrsubron7,

Can you narrow down as to what ship's are carrying the Toro Maru names please, all my saved data is showing is the
JPAuxCruiser=Toro Maru Class
Is the only ship named as thus. I will keep checking.
Toro Maru is the catapult ship

Toro Maru Class is the auxilary cruiser as you mentioned s7rikeback.
__________________



Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines




Last edited by cdrsubron7; 10-31-2016 at 07:38 PM.
cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:50 PM   #2438
s7rikeback
I break things
 
s7rikeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 537
Downloads: 795
Uploads: 6


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Toro Maru is the catapult ship

Toro Maru Class is the auxilary cruiser as you mentioned s7rikeback.
hmm my files show:

NKSS_CAT=Catapult Ship

Let me check the maru mod names.

NKSS_CAT=Tonan Maru Class
__________________


s7rikeback's - Silent Hunter Mod Collection

War knows no nation

Last edited by s7rikeback; 10-31-2016 at 06:07 PM.
s7rikeback is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:41 PM   #2439
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All
 
cdrsubron7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 2,358
Downloads: 292
Uploads: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
hmm my files show:

NKSS_CAT=Catapult Ship

Let me check the maru mod names.

NKSS_CAT=Tonan Maru Class
Sorry, s7rikeback. I should have mentioned that those two names were with the the Maru Mod uninstalled via JSGME.
__________________



Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines



cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:33 PM   #2440
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DeLand, FL
Posts: 8,909
Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52


Default

Ho, ho ho! That's encouraging. Museum working. Everybody be sure to install the Large Address Aware patch. S7rikeback, we accomplished what we needed to. Good GREAT work!

The best part is we took no steps backward to get back on track. CapnScurvy's seaplane catapults are still there, waiting for a way to make them work right. All the stuff we put in v0.26 is still there. The only difference is that it works now. Jeff-Groves set us on the right path, taught us a little history and S7rikeback executed the plan. Even the Bismark imported improperly from SH3 (probably stolen from GWX....) is working very well.

Beta testers, let me know if you need a new link. I don't know if the old one will work.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:14 PM   #2441
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All
 
cdrsubron7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 2,358
Downloads: 292
Uploads: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
hmm my files show:

NKSS_CAT=Catapult Ship

Let me check the maru mod names.

NKSS_CAT=Tonan Maru Class
s7rikeback, you have my apology. The print in the Museum is too small for my old eyes. I thought I was reading Toro Maru twice when it was Tonan Maru for the Catapult ship and Toro Maru for the auxiliary cruiser. I regret causing you any extra work.
__________________



Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines



cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:18 PM   #2442
Berserker
Aggressive skipper
 
Berserker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 273
Downloads: 1738
Uploads: 0
Default

Ok modders...With all of this great news I just want to advise you that the grasshoppers are getting a little excited...
__________________
Shoot,Move,Communicate..Kill,Destroy,Eradicate...
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:36 PM   #2443
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job
 
propbeanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The Crossroads of Mid-America
Posts: 5,360
Downloads: 286
Uploads: 2


Default

OK, so we're back to using the 026 version, and no interim beta without the floatie planes? I can drop the cleaning up of the older files, and continue with cleaning the newer files of the Campaign, keeping the Type=18 and Type=19 calls?

The next beta, we do wanna do the DEAkikaze back to Type=2, and the Minekaze, Momi, MomiII and Wakatake back to Type=3 though, right? That way, we'll "match" the old FotRS and a few other mods for easier future mods... ??
__________________

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #2444
s7rikeback
I break things
 
s7rikeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 537
Downloads: 795
Uploads: 6


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
s7rikeback, you have my apology. The print in the Museum is too small for my old eyes. I thought I was reading Toro Maru twice when it was Tonan Maru for the Catapult ship and Toro Maru for the auxiliary cruiser. I regret causing you any extra work.

No problem cdrsubron7.
I have all ship & Air data in excel spreadsheets, it's only a click away on my desktop.
__________________


s7rikeback's - Silent Hunter Mod Collection

War knows no nation
s7rikeback is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:46 AM   #2445
s7rikeback
I break things
 
s7rikeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 537
Downloads: 795
Uploads: 6


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
OK, so we're back to using the 026 version, and no interim beta without the floatie planes? I can drop the cleaning up of the older files, and continue with cleaning the newer files of the Campaign, keeping the Type=18 and Type=19 calls?

The next beta, we do wanna do the DEAkikaze back to Type=2, and the Minekaze, Momi, MomiII and Wakatake back to Type=3 though, right? That way, we'll "match" the old FotRS and a few other mods for easier future mods... ??
PP,

I have kept all of the type=18 & type=19 calls as per the previous release. So the float plane / Catapult data is still within the v0.27 release, as is the Razzle Dazzle data and all other updates that were added previous by other team members.

All i have done is tidy the ship & Air folders up and re-aligned the unit types to match both sea.cfg & their roster.cfg which equals the name.cfg.

Also these have also been updated:
DEAkikaze has been set to Type=2
Minekaze has been set to Type=3
Momi has been set to Type=3
MomiII has been set to Type=3
Wakatake has been set to Type=3
__________________


s7rikeback's - Silent Hunter Mod Collection

War knows no nation
s7rikeback is online   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2019 Subsim