SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-11-10, 05:07 PM   #1
Silverwolf
Officer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default [WIP] Interceptor Sub

Ok with the Kraken finally done and released it's time to start work on a new project. I call her the Interceptor, as you will notice she is a more modern looking sub. The sub that influenced this one was a Seawolf class sub, however as you can see it doesn't really resemble a Seawolf sub.

As of now I don't know if I'm going to just keep the turrets how they are or make a system to cover them when the sub submerges. The turrets can't collapse inwards like on the Shark or Kraken so I need to make a new system. I also need to figure out what to do with the props, cause at the moment I don't know what I want to do with those either.

While it has not been built yet I do have plans to make a brand new interior for this sub.

BetaV0.3 has been released, download it here:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20937813/Interceptor_Beta_V03_rar

------------------------------
Some fixes for this new version of the Interceptor.

-Fixed crew exposure for weapon compartments.
-Reduced the top underwater speed to around 32 knots. This helps reduce the depth keeping issue and keeps it to around six or seven feet.
-Fixed a problem with the air vents going off in calm seas while using regular surface.

Additions
-New conning tower interior
-Hogans ally added for TMO
-Adjusted values for smoothing surfacing and diving.

How to install.

The sub has a new installation method which should help ease confusion for installing the sub with supermods. For right now the sub is only compatible with TMO and Stock. There is a folder called Interceptor_Base, this holds all the crucial files of the sub and needs to be installed first. After that you either pick the stock folder or TMO folder and install it next. Then all that is left is to start up the game.

If you have any other questions just ask. Very soon I'll be working on getting the sub ready for RFB and FOTRS as well as adding the sub to the campaigns and RSRDC.

GameFront page: http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/Silverwolf996

Last edited by Silverwolf; 10-29-11 at 01:23 AM.
Silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-10, 05:11 PM   #2
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

well, if you are going to do a caterpillar setup, you can put one drive between each of the fins, you can even have a hood scoop looking intake located about midway up the hill, that would be kinda cool looking

I had an interceptor built too, but mine was smaller and a lot thinner, it has some kind of Airplane wing looking apparition that houses the propellers and such. really cool looking actually
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!

Last edited by Sledgehammer427; 04-11-10 at 05:22 PM.
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-10, 05:18 PM   #3
Silverwolf
Officer

That is one of the options I was thinking of. The other was having a caterpillar while submerged and props for surfaced. I know of a way to cover each however placement is crucial because seeing lots of bubbles come out of a solid object is not too pretty lookin.

Old 04-11-10, 05:25 PM   #4
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

there's a cool idea, maybe even have both the caterpillars AND props engage when you go ahead flank, that would be neat and fit the interceptor role
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Old 04-11-10, 05:31 PM   #5
Silverwolf
Officer

That would be a really neat idea. However I don't know where to look or what to change exactly to make the sub do that. I could use the torpedo doors as an open an close for the props. If I could find away to tie that animation to the ahead flank command then it could possibly work.

Old 04-11-10, 07:29 PM   #6
haozhibof1
Seaman

Downloads: 11

I think this deserves a flat deck, so maybe Ohio or Typhoon would be a better choice
haozhibof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-10, 08:36 AM   #7
rditto48801
Mate

Downloads: 27

This looks interesting, but the side by side guns in the rear seems a bit odd to me. Would the middle pair be able to aim either side, or is each one going to be restricted to a single side arc?

If you did go with the caterpillars and the props, how about going with a central mounted impeller to help with the feel of keeping down noise and optimizing thrust? Especially since it would provide a stealthy backup in case of loosing (all of) the caterpillar drive(s) (more for realism than anything)

One thing comes to mind about gun turrets, if it could be done, anyways.

The basic design of the Advanced Gun System that has been in development by the US Navy.
More importantly, the stealthy gun housing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Gun_System

Using a more sleek/hydrodynamic shape for the turret/gun housing, it would possibly be a neat concept for a more modern sub to have deck guns using a similar housing, while still being as hydrodynamic as possible and still minimizing anything that might stir up water and cause noise while submerged. (possibly 'seated' into the base of the conning tower to conceal there presence in general?)
Would such a thing be possible?
Or are turrets used restricted to just the turrets that are already in SH4?

Another idea, gun mounts in the 'bathtub', such as an interior railing on the sides with fixtures for pintle mountings (right term?) for heavy weapons, such as .50 calibers, other machine guns, etc. Would be taken below deck when diving, and need to be brought up and mounted after surfacing. (Just 'vanish' when diving?) Not much, but it would give a sub some extra firepower for swatting aircraft and providing suppressive fire against the exposed deck crews of enemy ships (not that the later would be much more than 'fluff text' and just be another way to put extra holes in enemy ships with little or no armor... like Sampans...)
Also, AA turrets like on the German Type XXI, if possible (with dual 40mm instead of dual 20mm?), for added firepower and defense and shredding annoying targets of small size... like Sampans possibly trying to phone home...

And yes, I like the idea of a sub that can slug it out with a destroyer, small armed convoy and be a bane of aircraft by shear volume of AA fire it can put in comparison to other subs, and then outrun anything not an aircraft or psycho DD hellbent on knocking on the conning tower hatch with depth charges.

Also, I second the thing for a possible flat deck. The 'platforms' just seem out of place on a sub.

Run Silent, Run Deep, Run them Ragged, Let The Prey Not Sleep.
rditto48801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 02:23 PM   #8
Alex Rowe
Swabbie

Downloads: 8

i very much like this!
Alex Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-10, 04:56 PM   #9
Silverwolf
Officer

So haozhibof1 and rditto posted valid points and I went back and did some revisions on the ships hull. I'm still working on the prop and should have that done soon. Then after that it's off to figure out what to do about the prop to caterpillar drive animations.

Old 04-17-10, 11:31 PM   #10
haozhibof1
Seaman

Thank you! And may I suggest you that make every file independent except weapons and upgradepack, etc., so that it could be easier to integrate your super mods with other BB mods (after all, these mods are much too powerful)

Maybe I can help after I finish the study of defination of weapons.
Old 04-19-10, 10:52 PM   #11
Silverwolf
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haozhibof1 View Post
Thank you! And may I suggest you that make every file independent except weapons and upgradepack, etc., so that it could be easier to integrate your super mods with other BB mods (after all, these mods are much too powerful)

Maybe I can help after I finish the study of defination of weapons.
The Kraken and Shark can both run independently of each other. The only thing the two change are the torpedo files because as far as I know it is not possible to add new torpedoes. Other than that the weapons and upgradepacks are the only files that will need to be messed with to get the subs to work with other mods.
---------------------
Ok so I think I've gotten a decent setup here for the prop and caterpillar drive. Still working out a cover for the setup and by the looks of it it's gonna be a big one.

Basically the prop is set back while the caterpillar drive is more towards the rear.The prop rotates around the caterpillar housing so the drives don't interfere with each other. This will hopefully ensure that the bubbles which come from the props aren't just coming from no where or behind the closed cover when submerged.

Old 04-19-10, 11:09 PM   #12
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

now that looks cool
Old 04-20-10, 04:37 AM   #13
haozhibof1
Seaman

The new version seems great!
I just use MK48 Torpedo replacing MK27, coming from MOD Ohio. After all, MK27 is much too weak.
After loading BBs and your Shark+Titan+Blackworf (original files deleted...), deck guns of BBs are gone. I am still studying this, guessing that maybe it is caused by replacement of 3_50 guns.
Old 04-20-10, 09:47 AM   #14
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwolf View Post
So haozhibof1 and rditto posted valid points and I went back and did some revisions on the ships hull. I'm still working on the prop and should have that done soon. Then after that it's off to figure out what to do about the prop to caterpillar drive animations.

Is the above a collapsible gun ? one that would go in a compartment in the hull when submerged ?

I am looking to animate the Sen Taka's two AA guns this way, but so far haven't got a clue as to how..

If you are working on the same problem maybe we could team up ?

mine needs rotate aft 180 degrees and the base plate then closes the hole.

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 09:52 AM   #15
haozhibof1
Seaman

You can download his Shark for reference. That kind of guns is already used in Shark.