SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-11-09, 01:52 PM   #1
runningdeer
Frogman

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 1
Default crew management

Hi all.

I am somewhat of a casual gamer at SH4 1.5. I am revisiting the game for about the 4th time now. After leaving to play other game releases. I want to squeeze more out of the replay factor.

And so, ever since I've been playing it there are some things I still don't understand, that are no doubt understood by many of you. For example I don't use manual targeting, its too complicated for me, although one day I might try to educate myself and try it.

For now, there are some things I need to know that I haven't found answers to by googling or from my game manual, with no luck. Such as:

Replacing/Upgrading my crew - as my careers have progressed I have been offered crew with better abilities, better officers. I try to replace them but it always says that the maximum number of officers allowed has been reached. I've tried to remove some first so there would be new places to put the better guys but that does not work either. Even though I have more than enough reknown credit.

Fox news traffic - Should I try to assist in some cases when they request "units in the area assist". What proximity is "in the area"? I wonder if it is just for show or if I should respond where possible...also, would I be credited in some way for responding?

Thanks all, for your time.
runningdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 05:37 PM   #2
Capt. Shark Bait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

for fox news, you'll never get there in time and it's pretty much a reference to what else is going on in the war. to get the crew you want, some will have to be fired to make space for newer officers

Corsair Vengeance M70; ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z; FX 8350; Asus 7870; Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX; coolmax CUG950B 950w psu; 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3; Corsair M4 SSD 128GB, WD 1TB; x18 DVR212D; 7SP1
Capt. Shark Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 06:46 PM   #3
runningdeer
Frogman

Default How terminate there employment?

Thanx for your reply.

How do I dismiss them?
Old 02-11-09, 07:03 PM   #4
donut
The Old Man

Downloads: 10
I had trouble w/this also

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningdeer
Hi all.

Replacing/Upgrading my crew - as my careers have progressed I have been offered crew with better abilities, better officers. I try to replace them but it always says that the I've tried to remove some first so there would be new places to put the better guys but that does not work either.
You must release from duty Officers/crew before you can recruit,or you will get
"maximum number of officers allowed">Promote,Release,Recruit
How do I dismiss them?> Drag them to the list.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 07:33 PM   #5
theluckyone17
Captain

Downloads: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Shark Bait
for fox news, you'll never get there in time and it's pretty much a reference to what else is going on in the war.
I've been lucky enough to be "in the area" for that first fox news trafic, the one about he task force leaving Cam Ranh bay (sp?). If you happen to be in range, and lucky enough to find 'em...
theluckyone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 09:07 PM   #6
runningdeer
Frogman

Thank you!

I should have asked a couple of careers ago, lol.
Old 02-11-09, 09:27 PM   #7
jmardlin
Soundman

Uploads: 8

you could put this in the upc of the sub you are using
MaxPettyOfficers=32 ; max number of crewmembers over rank 4
MaxOfficers=16 ; max number of crewmembers over rank 7
change the numbers to what you want it will allow more officers or pettyofficers than are normally allowed.
jmardlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 12:47 AM   #8
Capt. Shark Bait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckyone17
Quote:
for fox news, you'll never get there in time and it's pretty much a reference to what else is going on in the war.
I've been lucky enough to be "in the area" for that first fox news trafic, the one about he task force leaving Cam Ranh bay (sp?). If you happen to be in range, and lucky enough to find 'em...
i've never been that lucky, tho i did once join up with a task force headed west. took up station on it's left flank

Corsair Vengeance M70; ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z; FX 8350; Asus 7870; Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX; coolmax CUG950B 950w psu; 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3; Corsair M4 SSD 128GB, WD 1TB; x18 DVR212D; 7SP1
Capt. Shark Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 02:15 AM   #9
ancient46
Officer

Downloads: 108

The stock game is not realistic it has has a coded limit of 6 Chiefs and officers and 32 Petty Officers. It exceeds this limit when it first stocks the boat with crew. It will not allow you to replace one until you reduce the crew to "Limit- 1". When you selected your boat the came stocked it with 12 officers and chiefs so you would have to dismiss 7 officers or chiefs before you could add the one. This is a bug that is not realistic for fleet submarines. This limit only applies to you the game engine ignores it for stocking and promotions.

Here is a little more detail on what jmardlin wrote. This example is for a Gato class Sub. Open this folder in the Sh4 Folder/Data/Submarine/NSS_Gato. Open the file NSS_Gato.upc and add the following lines after the entry MenuSilhouetteTextureName.
MaxPettyOfficers=52 ; max number of crewmembers over rank 4
MaxOfficers=14 ; max number of crewmembers over rank 7
This is a historically correct number drawn from the personnel records of WW2 Gato class subs war patrols. You can change the numbers to anything you want to tailor the game the way you want to play. On a side note crew size averaged 83 so fill as many of the slots as you want with non-ratings.
ancient46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 03:10 PM   #10
jmardlin
Soundman

Uploads: 8

This is something that was added for the the uboat expansion. 1.4 and earlier did not have limits on the above, we need to find where to globally change it.
jmardlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 03:32 PM   #11
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
True in stock game fox traffic is just color text.

Some mods add some of the actual events "Task force transiting" etc. which can lead to lucrative opportunites.

But as you said you often end up on the other side of the world but if you are in close proximity it may be worth checking out.
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 05:39 PM   #12
mcarlsonus
Weps

Downloads: 13
Default What really chaps my hide, though...

In Career Mode: they have a historically accurate Missions video running stating subs ought to be running barrier patrols in the Solomons, Gilberts, etc. THEN the actual mission sends me to something like the Sea of Okhutsk! Why aren't these things coordinated??
mcarlsonus is offline   Reply With Quote