Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-07, 12:03 AM   #1
Sonoboy
Planesman

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default Bug or feature?

I was playing a quickie ASuW mission today. An enemy ship collide with an oiler. The enemy ship was sunk, and the oiler recieved a whopping 1% damage.

Later the oiler sank, all the way to the bottom without showing up as destroyed. It did dissappear after a couple minutes on the bottom.

Now, is this a bug or a feature?
Sonoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 12:41 AM   #2
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Now, is this a bug or a feature?
Quote:
I was playing a quickie ASuW mission today. An enemy ship collide with an oiler. The enemy ship was sunk, and the oiler recieved a whopping 1% damage.
The damage inflicted in a collision seems to be determined by the mass of the ships and the speed of impact. If this was a PTG or something small, I'd say "feature." If it was bigger, maybe "bug."

Quote:
Later the oiler sank, all the way to the bottom without showing up as destroyed.
Depends what you mean by "showing up as destroyed." Unless the playable platform delivered the killing blow, the ship's name should not appear listed among the killed platforms in the status screen. On the other hand, if "showing up as destroyed" means 100% damage indicated on the DDI, then it's obviously a bug. Subs have been sinking with less than 100% indicated damage after collisions and proximity damage. This would be the first report that I'm aware of where the bug occured with a surface ship, or with an AI platform.

Quote:
It did dissappear after a couple minutes on the bottom.
Comic guy voice: Worst "feature" ever!
Old 05-18-07, 01:45 AM   #3
Sonoboy
Planesman

Downloads: 8

I wasnt showing as destroyed on the nav map. I didn't check the mission status. The ship that collided with the oiler was a small warship.

Mission Info:

Seed: 1179461093
Type: ASuW - Barrier Search
Area: GUIK
Difficulty: Hard
Platform: 688(i)

Update:
Oiler sank again. I won't spoil it for you by telling exactly what happened. It's funny to watch. Made me think "wtf?", lol.
Sonoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 04:49 AM   #4
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Yes, in DW 1.04 platforms can "sink" without actually being "destroyed", that is, with less than 100% damage.

This is a BUG.

I know this because AI platforms treat platforms that have sunk with less than 100% damage as if they are dead. This means that some kinds of damage (proximity and collision) are being reported to some parts of the NSE without being reported to the interface.

This bug is directly related to the failure of two-stage weapons to list platform kills in the mission debrief screen as of DW 1.04. I suspect these bugs were created when the coders at Sonalysts attempted to fix the miscommunication between the NSE and ownship sensor feedback (ownship torpedo pinging when preenabled in DW 1.03 and as well as the ESM feedback from the FFG AI MH60) and/or the buoyancy model.

Cheers,
David
Old 05-18-07, 01:55 PM   #5
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Yea this bug came as a rude suprise when I ran my Kilo agaround in the Persian Gulf yesterday...

0% damage my boat just vanished...

A Russian attempt at the Philidelphia Experment maybe?

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 02:13 PM   #6
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike
Yea this bug came as a rude suprise when I ran my Kilo agaround in the Persian Gulf yesterday...

Wait, are you saying your boat was destroyed by running aground and no damage was indicated, or that you were undamaged and just sitting on the bottom and the sim removed your boat?
Old 05-18-07, 02:16 PM   #7
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike

Wait, are you saying your boat was destroyed by running aground and no damage was indicated, or that you were undamaged and just sitting on the bottom and the sim removed your boat?
I was at PD. Came under RBU Rocket attack and on mistake I Shift+4 and whent deep. I was only doing 5 knots so I set down smoothly on the seabed and then *Poof* my boat is gone.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote