SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-08, 07:58 AM   #1
hammer-princess
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Windows Vista - Good, Bad or Downright Ugly?

I'm just curious, who loves and who hates Windows Vista? Personally, I hate it.

I wonder what you think.

BTW, if anyone's interested in meh fanfic 'Paper Mario - What REALLY Happened', look up 'Paper Mario Story' on http://thebunnyhunter.deviantart.com
hammer-princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 08:04 AM   #2
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

I love it. I think it gets a worse rap than it deserves. It's certainly not ugly, I find it and its Aero interface to be clean and modern looking, far more so than XP and the Luna (aka Fisher-Price) theme. Why do you hate it? Have you used it, and if so what version?
Intel Core i7 4770K|ASUS Z87Pro|32GB DDR3 RAM|11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Black|256GB Crucial M4 SSD+2TB WD HDD|4X LG BD-RE|32" Acer Predator Z321QU 165Hz G-Sync (2540x1440)|Logitech Z-323 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Pro

Explorer (MSI GL63 8RE-629 Laptop):
Intel Core i7 8750H|16GB DDR4 RAM|6GB GeForce GTX 1060|128GB SSD+1TB HDD|15.6" Widescreen (1920x1080)|Logitech R-20 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Home
JSLTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 09:11 AM   #3
Herr_Pete
Commodore

Downloads: 102

I think its fantastic. Not a problem with it. People seem to complain about it not working etc its normaly down to the person not installing the program properly! VISTA ftw
Herr_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 09:31 AM   #4
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Even Billy-Boy thinks it's a STINKER. :rotfl:

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 09:52 AM   #5
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Tried it never liked it. Mostly because of "You need to ask permission to go to pee" type of so-called security feature of it. Something that takes 2 seconds in XP takes extra 10 seconds on Vista with it asking if I want to allow myself permission to do something. :rotfl: I'm surprised it didnt start to cry and beg for forgiveness the next 20 popup screens when I decided to format and go back to XP.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 09:54 AM   #6
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

Haven't used it very much, except setting up a few laptops that aren't mine. I prefer XP, but I'm used to XP
Old 02-14-08, 10:01 AM   #7
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Tried it never liked it. Mostly because of "You need to ask permission to go to pee" type of so-called security feature of it. Something that takes 2 seconds in XP takes extra 10 seconds on Vista with it asking if I want to allow myself permission to do something. :rotfl: I'm surprised it didnt start to cry and beg for forgiveness the next 20 popup screens when I decided to format and go back to XP.
You do know that you can turn UAC off right? Those prompts are entirely optional...
Intel Core i7 4770K|ASUS Z87Pro|32GB DDR3 RAM|11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Black|256GB Crucial M4 SSD+2TB WD HDD|4X LG BD-RE|32" Acer Predator Z321QU 165Hz G-Sync (2540x1440)|Logitech Z-323 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Pro

Intel Core i7 8750H|16GB DDR4 RAM|6GB GeForce GTX 1060|128GB SSD+1TB HDD|15.6" Widescreen (1920x1080)|Logitech R-20 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Home
Old 02-14-08, 10:49 AM   #8
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 202

I dont mind it. The only problem I've had is that it wont recognise my USB MIDI cable.
Old 02-14-08, 11:02 AM   #9
hammer-princess
Watch

I have never used Vista, but I've heard about it, and it sounds rubbish.

BTW, if anyone's interested in meh fanfic 'Paper Mario - What REALLY Happened', look up 'Paper Mario Story' on http://thebunnyhunter.deviantart.com
hammer-princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 11:14 AM   #10
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLTIGER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
You do know that you can turn UAC off right? Those prompts are entirely optional...
Yeh, I learned it actually few days back, but still, I stick to my XP. It works fine.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 12:09 PM   #11
SteminDemon13
Sparky

Default Waiting on Vista

Well, I will wait to install vista. I am happy with windows XP. Vista has recieved a bad rap, but I am sure as time goes by vista will improve, like XP did. XP at first had its problems, but over time XP had evolved into a great OS. Prior to switching to XP I held on to windows 98 SE as long as possible. It was a great OS and really had no complaints about it. It always gave rock solid performance with minimal bugs.

After a while I bought XP after things were worked out with the OS and it has been great ever since. I will therefore hold on to XP for a while, until I feel comfortable that Vista offers solid performance like XP and Windows 98 SE that came before it, then I will buy and install Vista.

This is a day to celebrate the rebirth of American sea power." "Listen for the footsteps of those who have gone before you. They speak to you of honor and the importance of duty. They remind you of your own traditions."
Casper W. Weinberger.
Reactivate Our Battleships!
SteminDemon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 12:24 PM   #12
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

I have both at home and at work. XP does the same thing much faster. Vista is a slug, no matter how much RAM you throw at it. Its all the DRM getting in the way is the problem.

The best OS out of Microsoft to date is stile MCE 2005.

Just my 2 cents.

-S
Old 02-14-08, 12:35 PM   #13
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Look people another Vista thread.

I hate it and should be incinerated and salt sprinkled over the remains.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 01:04 PM   #14
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer-princess
I have never used Vista, but I've heard about it, and it sounds rubbish.
Hearing about it and using it are two very different things. "Don't knock it 'till you've tried it." It's people that go around saying that Vista is junk without ever having used it that have created this perception of Vista.

Old 02-14-08, 01:06 PM   #15
Etienne
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1

Vista is a... I can't say this politely.

I've worked with a few laptops that were Vista based - The EX's and my brother. The EX only ever used hers to go online, and she was in absolute love with the bullbe wrapper poping gadget on the sidebar. She played WoW on it after we broke up, but that's as far as I know. The large amount of problems I had with it were when I was trying to get it online, and the tech support guy didn't know Vista at all...

My brother wanted a Mac, but got a PC for Christmas. Don't look a given laptop in the OS and all that - Anyway, he tried to install The Godfather, and it didn't work. Eventually, we got fed up and installed XP - The laptop now runs COD4, albeit at a pretty low graphic setting. We banged our heads on a couple walls because Vista kept telling us "A BETTER version of Windows is installed! Why would you want to downgrade? I won't let you do this!"

My father's mac dual boot to Windows. XP, of course.

As for me, I recently got a Dell XPS laptop. Ordered it with XP.

I think the most telling thing in the whole mess is that you can still order top of the line computers with XP pre-installed. Vista's a mess, and everybody knows...

But Oh So Pretty!
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote