SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-27-15, 03:49 PM   #76
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi,

my guess is that a RWR was never used to shadow/detect ships. Indications for this are: a) I have never seen any source mentioning such a use, b) bearing information would be very important for this and it seems that bearing information was never much of a concern in the development of RWR, and c) ship's radar was always ahead of airborne radar in terms of wave-lengths.

If my guess is true, my workaround with the RWR height simulates real-life performance quite well ---> there are more important issues to tackle

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 10:48 AM   #77
padi
Officer

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0

Another idea:
What's about sending and receiving messages in periscope depth if the Antenna was extended before?

Join the Real ASW Mod Discord-Server:
https://discord.gg/Yg5ZE25
padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 01:29 PM   #78
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Fader

do you intend on keeping it as a complementary patch to H.Sie as it is now, or are you considering integrating it all into one?

I'm asking because from the user's point of view, having a single patch thing to deal with is much easier, and now that H-Sie's is open source maybe merguing it with your own one and operating always from the outside without any need of modifying the .exe would be good.
Old 10-28-15, 02:44 PM   #79
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi View Post
Another idea:
What's about sending and receiving messages in periscope depth if the Antenna was extended before?
I see :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere View Post

Сompletely forgot. This is my first model for the game.
Animated retractable antenna, but not functional. Alas, transmit messages from periscope depth impossible. It is hardcoded in the game. But you can raise and lower, stop ascent or descent anywhere at will. The movement of the antenna a little step. This is the best that can be obtained from the SMS mechanism. Just for historic justice and exterior.
from : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=239

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
Here's a line from the KTB of U-466 from June-August 1943:

Dived for detection on 134 cm wave, 2 second impulses, recurring. Skilled operator. [Used radar] sparingly.

http://www.uboatarchive.net/KTB466-3.htm

The allied started switching their radars off now and then while approaching the U-boat to lessen the possibility of getting detected by RWR. Maybe this could be randomized somehow in order to have the crewmen sometimes miss the approaching airplane/destroyer altogether?
Yes, it's a good idea !
Fahnenbohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 05:46 PM   #80
Fader_Berg
中国水兵

Downloads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Fader

do you intend on keeping it as a complementary patch to H.Sie as it is now, or are you considering integrating it all into one?

I'm asking because from the user's point of view, having a single patch thing to deal with is much easier, and now that H-Sie's is open source maybe merguing it with your own one and operating always from the outside without any need of modifying the .exe would be good.
I'm looking in to it.

I know I'm gonna integrate some of them, but I'm not sure I'll go for all. Comments are few, often in german (Google translate sucks) and H.sie have forgotten much of it. He also don't have time to support the little he remembers.

But we'll see.
Old 10-28-15, 05:47 PM   #81
Fader_Berg
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi View Post
Another idea:
That's a cool idea.
Old 10-29-15, 03:47 AM   #82
Henri II
Sparky

Downloads: 47

Hi,

a quick question. I have your mod enabled on top of h.sie fixes and experienced something mildly strange.
I was hunting a ship in foggy weather, when it was sighted it was at a bearing of about 25° and a range of about 700 m. I didn't have it locked and asked the WO about range to nearest contact, his reply: "nearst contact at bearing 312, range 3400 m".

I repeated the question a few times and his estimates were allway different and never anywhere near correct. When the ship passed out of sight (it was neutral) I asked him again, his reply: "nearest contact at bearing 374, range 76326464 (not the exact number he said but something like this)".

Is this the fog messing with something? In retrospect I think it's possible that the officer did not have a watch qualification, but I'm not sure?
Henri II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 04:28 AM   #83
Fader_Berg
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri II View Post
Hi,

a quick question. I have your mod enabled on top of h.sie fixes and experienced something mildly strange.
I was hunting a ship in foggy weather, when it was sighted it was at a bearing of about 25° and a range of about 700 m. I didn't have it locked and asked the WO about range to nearest contact, his reply: "nearst contact at bearing 312, range 3400 m".

I repeated the question a few times and his estimates were allway different and never anywhere near correct. When the ship passed out of sight (it was neutral) I asked him again, his reply: "nearest contact at bearing 374, range 76326464 (not the exact number he said but something like this)".

Is this the fog messing with something? In retrospect I think it's possible that the officer did not have a watch qualification, but I'm not sure?
Hmmm... Very odd.

The algorithm used for wo_experience can't come up with such huge differences. It just alters the SH3 range finding a bit.
My guess is that there is something wrong with the wo_targeting part of it. The memory area where the locked ship is supposed to be, is freed and are being used for something else. The estimates in such case, will seem to be totally random.
Why isn't the locked target cleared, since no ship is locked?

I'll have a look on it tonight.

Thanks for reporting.

Updates
151029:
I can't find the cause of this, or reproduce the problem with the information given. This doesn't mean that the bug doesn't exists.
Further reports regarding this problem are welcome.
160111:
Since this error has not been reported again. It will be removed from the bug list.

Last edited by Fader_Berg; 01-13-16 at 09:04 PM.
Fader_Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 06:18 AM   #84
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fader_Berg View Post
That's a cool idea.
Hi,

I think this would be very nice even if it is not connected with any antenna position (for players without moving antenna).

Regards, LGN1

PS: I think it's already possible to receive messages at periscope depth, but not sending
Old 10-29-15, 06:24 AM   #85
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
I'm looking in to it.

I know I'm gonna integrate some of them, but I'm not sure I'll go for all. Comments are few, often in german (Google translate sucks) and H.sie have forgotten much of it. He also don't have time to support the little he remembers.

But we'll see.
Hi again,

I guess features from version D would be of most benefit. H.Sie never released this version although it has some great additions (e.g., a dynamic response to the players' actions).

If you have specific questions about H.Sie's work, please feel free to ask me. I might be able to support a bit.

Regards, LGN1
Old 10-31-15, 11:01 AM   #86
Fader_Berg
中国水兵

r32:
  • Removed no_autoload since it worked so bad. Maybe later...
  • Added night_vision_factor
Night vision factor

Lets you set the reduced view range when its dark, to make spotting of ships act more realistic. This path is based on H.sies Night Vision Fix.

Last edited by Fader_Berg; 10-31-15 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-31-15, 11:34 AM   #87
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
r32:
  • Removed no_autoload since it worked so bad. Maybe later...
  • Added night_vision_factor
Night vision factor

Lets you set the reduced view range at night, to make spotting of ships act more realistic. This path is based on H.sies Night Vision Fix.
And when is it night ? When sunlight/ambiant light color is dark ? Or are there other parameters ?
Old 10-31-15, 11:53 AM   #88
Fader_Berg
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahnenbohn View Post
And when is it night ? When sunlight/ambiant light color is dark ? Or are there other parameters ?
Dark. From when the sun sets in the horizon til its gets dark (or vice versa), there's a transision to what ever you set this value to.
Old 10-31-15, 01:12 PM   #89
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

But in data/Cfg/Sim.cfg or Sim.cfg, there is already a parameter for visual detection called Light factor. So, what's new ? How was it working before ?

Another question : may the different improvments of your work be enabled one by one ?
Old 10-31-15, 02:08 PM   #90
Fader_Berg
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahnenbohn View Post
But in data/Cfg/Sim.cfg or Sim.cfg, there is already a parameter for visual detection called Light factor. So, what's new ? How was it working before ?

Another question : may the different improvments of your work be enabled one by one ?
I don't know really. H.sie made the fix with input of some experienced modders, so I've never questioned it. I guessed that all other means had failed. Now I just needed it to have a nice game (spotting trawlers at 12k meters in pitch black is ridiculous).
Do you need a fix for reducing view range at dark nights, or does changes in sim.cfg work for you?

Yes. You can enable or disable each one of them. Except for the repair fix, which is not compatible with h.sies paches. It will be auto-disabled in such cases.

Last edited by Fader_Berg; 10-31-15 at 02:15 PM.