SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-19-20, 07:04 PM   #1
MSchutze
Nub

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0
Default SH5 miton speech recognition issue

Hi,

I just downloaded mitons speech recognition (English) v.0.4.1, and after loading it up in JSGME it comes up in game, but does not register anything, even after I click the icon and activate it from the UI.

- Win10
- Steam version of SH5
- Running TWoS 2.2.17
- Windows English (UK) Language pack installed
- Microphone works; tested it in Windows and also works over Discord etc etc.
- Mod put in here: SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 5\TWoS_Parts\Speech Recognition_MiTons_NewUI_Editon_v0.4.1_english (had to put it there so it comes up in my JSGME)

I tried testing it in SHSSpeechEngineTest too, but nothing registers there either. Tried the other downloaded version too (v.4), both with downloaded folder in and out of the SH5 folders - nothing worked.

I played around with the Confidence levels too - again no impact.

Any tips to help solve this issue would be most welcome! I must be doing something very basic wrong here...
MSchutze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 10:05 AM   #2
Hartroff
Seaman

Downloads: 32

Hi MSchutze,

I have no much experience on mods but i have tried this one today and succeeded. I have SH5 steam version and using Win10 like you.
I just activated Speech Recognition_MiTons_NewUI_Editon_v0.4.1_english via JSGME. Not other two for now. Be sure Windows English (UK) (or maybe English US too. I have both) Language pack and its speech recognition installed. You need to check the speech recognition box during installing.

Now we can try something different for you. Can you see a mic symbol near name of the language in Windows Language Settings? If yes please click language name (English (UK) and click 'Options' button. There is 'Settings' under 'Speech'. Click it and check the box that says Recognize non-native accents for this language. Normally this step is not necessary but it can help i hope.

In game, when speech recognition is activated, try to speak slowly (but not too slow) and distinctly for every word. I am watching videos of Bstanko6 using this mod. I see in his videos, in some cases, speech recognition is not working perfectly. So it happens.

For me, 1 hour ago, only phrases working perfectly are 'all stop' and 'ahead slow' but now i can use other ahead speed phrases but back speed phrases are not working for me for now. I think i need practice because it is not my native language.
Hartroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 09:06 AM   #3
Hartroff
Seaman

Downloads: 32

I have the solution now! I hope.

Actually the solution is inside the mod's documentation folder: pdf - SpeechRecognition_CustomizingTutorial_english

1- Activate mod via JSGME (I activated Speech Recognition_MiTons_NewUI_Editon_v0.4.1_english).
2- test it via SHSpeechEngineTest application. Look to Confidence value: 0.87
3- Be sure that test app does completely understand you (say and try 10-15 different phrases at least like "raise periscope", "back emergency", "new depth 20 meters" and more.
4- If it does not understand you perfectly try to change confidence value (for me 0.60 is best. So find your best value). Now, let's suppose that 0.67 is your best. Close the test app.
5- I assume that you activated: Speech Recognition_MiTons_NewUI_Editon_v0.4.1_english.
6- Go to directory (inside SH5): TWoS_Parts => Speech Recognition_MiTons_NewUI_Editon_v0.4.1_english => data => Scripts => Menu.
7- Open Speech Recognition.py with notepad and find this:
if SHSpeechEngine.IsSupported:
currentDecksAwashDepth = 7.5
newConfidenceLevel = 0.70
currentConfidenceLevel = 0.70
#speech = SHSpeechEngine("en-US")
#speech.Confidence = newConfidenceLevel
#speech.OrderReceived += speech_OrderReceived
#speech.Start()
8- Change both 0.70s to your best value that you tested in SHSpeechEngineTest application and save.
9- Open the game and test it. If it works, enjoy.
Hartroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 01:18 AM   #4
MSchutze
Nub

Downloads: 22

Hi Hartroff,

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately it is still not working for me.

I did as you suggested. My language packs have speech recognition installed, and I also selected the option to recognise non-native accents. I am using the English (UK) language pack.

When I test my microphone in Windows Settings, it registers ok - and when I talk to people online (e.g., Discord) it all works fine. But when I load up either the game, or even 'SHSpeechEngineTest', nothing registers. When 'SHSpeechEngineTest' is loaded, it has English UK showing, and I try lots of commands (engines stop, dive, etc) and nothing is registered. It just keeps saying 'listening' at the bottom of the window, but it does not detect anything.

It is really strange, as it looks like I have everything activated, and my microphone does work, but for some reason the voice recognition mod does not detect me speaking, even when I change the confidence levels.

It is quite the mystery.

Thank again for your help.

M
MSchutze is offline   Reply With Quote