SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-23-20, 01:52 AM   #16
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
@kapuhy
Sorry for kidnapping your thread
No problem, it was an interesting read anyway Although for the sake of clarity, if you would like to discuss these ideas further (and I encourage you to do so, I'd love some realistic confusion for players as to who's neutral and who's not) opening a dedicated thread for them seems like a good idea.

As for the coaster, I made some improvements to zones and to the model itself. I want to add some alternative color schemes as well, though it's a bit complicated due to LOD bug - basically I have to come up with alternative textures that would not be different enough for the difference to show up in LOD model. When I'm done with this, I'll post an update for the ship.

In the meantime, I'm finishing this little fella:

EDIT: Btw, is there a way to make crew member disappear after specific part of the ship is destroyed? I wanted to have destructible wheelhouse on this one, but so far the effect is that wheelhouse explodes and slides into ocean leaving captain standing in the open like Wile E. Coyote...

Last edited by kapuhy; 04-23-20 at 04:49 AM.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 07:21 AM   #17
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
No problem, it was an interesting read anyway Although for the sake of clarity, if you would like to discuss these ideas further (and I encourage you to do so, I'd love some realistic confusion for players as to who's neutral and who's not) opening a dedicated thread for them seems like a good idea.
Thank you for your understanding. Starting a dedicated thread might be a good idea, but for the moment I moved my post of yesterday in the TWoS thread were it belongs better than here.

Quote:
As for the coaster, I made some improvements to zones and to the model itself. I want to add some alternative color schemes as well, though it's a bit complicated due to LOD bug - basically I have to come up with alternative textures that would not be different enough for the difference to show up in LOD model. When I'm done with this, I'll post an update for the ship.
I am glad to hear that you are still improving your unit. As for the LOD texture issue I am pretty sure I got it sorted out in the past. It has been quite a while since then. I will investigate again and I will let you know in case I find anything interesting

Quote:

Quote:
EDIT: Btw, is there a way to make crew member disappear after specific part of the ship is destroyed? I wanted to have destructible wheelhouse on this one, but so far the effect is that wheelhouse explodes and slides into ocean leaving captain standing in the open like Wile E. Coyote...
Sure. You must set the bone that the crew member is linked to as a child of the wheelhouse bone. When the wheelhouse will be destroyed, the crew member will be as well. This "trick" applies not only to crew, equipment and any external object attached to the ship, but also to model parts stored in the same GR2 file as the main unit
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 08:16 AM   #18
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:

Amassing kapuhy!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-20, 04:36 PM   #19
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
As for the LOD texture issue I am pretty sure I got it sorted out in the past. It has been quite a while since then. I will investigate again and I will let you know in case I find anything interesting
That would be great, if I get past LOD issue I can easily add some variety:

https://imgur.com/a/8P1lPoI

Quote:
Sure. You must set the bone that the crew member is linked to as a child of the wheelhouse bone. When the wheelhouse will be destroyed, the crew member will be as well. This "trick" applies not only to crew, equipment and any external object attached to the ship, but also to model parts stored in the same GR2 file as the main unit
Thanks Now not only the poor captain disappears when his wheelhouse is blown up, but other crewmen - standing next to a lifeboat - also hide if player is ruthless enough to shell lifeboat they were preparing to launch.
Old 04-25-20, 05:14 PM   #20
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
That would be great, if I get past LOD issue I can easily add some variety:
Roger that, I need to run some tests in game. Looking into it right now

Quote:
Wow, these colorful skins will make a nice contrast with the dull grey ships that we are used to in stock game, though I think they will be more appropriate for early war and neutral countries.

On an unrelated note: may I ask whether the flags I see in your screenshots are from TWoS or your own work?

Quote:
Thanks Now not only the poor captain disappears when his wheelhouse is blown up, but other crewmen - standing next to a lifeboat - also hide if player is ruthless enough to shell lifeboat they were preparing to launch.
I suppose this is the kind of ruthlessness they call "being more aggressive" lol
Old 04-25-20, 06:00 PM   #21
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
On an unrelated note: may I ask whether the flags I see in your screenshots are from TWoS or your own work?
These are TWoS 2.2.17 flags, I didn't modify them in any way.
Old 04-25-20, 07:58 PM   #22
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
These are TWoS 2.2.17 flags, I didn't modify them in any way.
Okay, thanks kapuhy

I have ran a couple of tests, and indeed I see the problem. I am a bit sceptic that this can be fixed without having access to game's code, but there are a couple of workarounds that I want to try before giving up.

I will let you know. Probably tomorrow
Old 05-08-20, 03:05 AM   #23
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Would you also happen to know a way to make character disappear without any bones being destroyed, but in response to damage zone being triggered? Ships I'm working on have parts player should be able to set on fire (like wooden superstructure), and in some cases I wanted to place a sailor on such parts. What happens though, is when fire starts, sailors are still standing in the middle of raging flames like protesting buddhist monks.
Old 05-08-20, 07:30 AM   #24
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Would you also happen to know a way to make character disappear without any bones being destroyed, but in response to damage zone being triggered? Ships I'm working on have parts player should be able to set on fire (like wooden superstructure), and in some cases I wanted to place a sailor on such parts. What happens though, is when fire starts, sailors are still standing in the middle of raging flames like protesting buddhist monks.
Well, I supposed you can assign a damage box to the character and make it destroyable

If you make the box big and its HP low enough, chances are that the sailor will disappear before the compartment he is placed in will be set on fire.
Old 05-09-20, 05:14 PM   #25
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Updated the file. Following fixes added:

- Fixed errors in AO map that caused black spots to appear on portholes, railings and other parts
- Crew near lifeboat will now disappear if lifeboat explodes
- Applied smooth shading to rounded surfaces (hull, vents, lifebuoy), they don't look so blocky anymore
- Added 3 alternative textures:
T02 - black bottom, rusted deck, white wheelhouse, black/red funnel
T03 - blue hull, green deck, white wheelhouse, blue/white funnel
T04 - blue hull, grey deck, brown wheelhouse, black/red funnel
- Reduced maximum speed to 8.5 knots (which is max speed of real ship this was modeled after)
- Adjusted gravity center
- Damage model reworked: ship will now sink after 5-6 deck gun shots to the waterline (or many more if you just aim at hull). It can still be sunk by flak, but you need careful aiming and a lot of rounds.
Old 05-09-20, 05:36 PM   #26
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Updated the file. Following fixes added:

- Fixed errors in AO map that caused black spots to appear on portholes, railings and other parts
- Crew near lifeboat will now disappear if lifeboat explodes
- Applied smooth shading to rounded surfaces (hull, vents, lifebuoy), they don't look so blocky anymore
- Added 3 alternative textures:
T02 - black bottom, rusted deck, white wheelhouse, black/red funnel
T03 - blue hull, green deck, white wheelhouse, blue/white funnel
T04 - blue hull, grey deck, brown wheelhouse, black/red funnel
- Reduced maximum speed to 8.5 knots (which is max speed of real ship this was modeled after)
- Adjusted gravity center
- Damage model reworked: ship will now sink after 5-6 deck gun shots to the waterline (or many more if you just aim at hull). It can still be sunk by flak, but you need careful aiming and a lot of rounds.
Great work Kapuhy, thank you!

I had to release the update for TWoS since I won't have time for modding for at least next 2-3 weeks but I'll implement your tweaks as soon as I get back...
Keep up the good work mate!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 04:50 AM   #27
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Great work Kapuhy, thank you!

I had to release the update for TWoS since I won't have time for modding for at least next 2-3 weeks but I'll implement your tweaks as soon as I get back...
Keep up the good work mate!
If everything goes well, after 2-3 weeks I should have another 2, maybe 3 new ships finished
Old 05-10-20, 07:53 AM   #28
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Updated the file. Following fixes added...
Quote:
If everything goes well, after 2-3 weeks I should have another 2, maybe 3 new ships finished
Well done kapuhy and definitely looking forward to your future releases
Old 05-18-20, 06:09 PM   #29
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Well, I supposed you can assign a damage box to the character and make it destroyable

If you make the box big and its HP low enough, chances are that the sailor will disappear before the compartment he is placed in will be set on fire.
You could create a new zone in the zones.cfg to assign to characters.
Then create a setting in particles.dat for an action.
Say you want him to fly away from the explosion.
Old 05-21-20, 06:42 AM   #30
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
You could create a new zone in the zones.cfg to assign to characters.
Then create a setting in particles.dat for an action.
Say you want him to fly away from the explosion.